New York Metropolitan International Airport - Page 8 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-12-2020, 12:51 PM   #106
EmiratesTwoFourOneSuper

solicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobby
Re: New York Metropolitan International Airport

Wow Cal, this is another wonderful update! I really loved the BA, Virgin, Delta, Alaska, United, etc...I really enjoyed this update, my friend!
solicitor82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2020, 04:06 PM   #107
New York Metro Airport

Cal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by solicitor82 View Post
Wow Cal, this is another wonderful update! I really loved the BA, Virgin, Delta, Alaska, United, etc...I really enjoyed this update, my friend!
Thanks for the comment Homzie, it's great to have you back online and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed my latest update!

- Cal.

KNYM | New York Metro Airport
Cal1736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:38 AM   #108
New York Metro Airport

Cal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobby

NEWS

With the on-going global pandemic affecting real-world aviation like never before, it was inevitable that some airlines and aircraft wouldn't make it to the other side. With this in mind, I've made some initial schedule changes in-line with some airline fleet announcements that have been made so far. There will likely be more to come, but rest assured New York Metropolitan will be back once things get back to normal and I have room to display the airport once again!
  • Air India has ended operations to New York Metropolitan with their Boeing 747-400 aircraft. The airline will continue to serve both Delhi - Indira Gandhi and Mumbai - Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj with Boeing 787-8 aircraft on alternate days.
  • American Airlines have announced the retirement of their Airbus A330-300 aircraft and the long-term storage of their Airbus A330-200 aircraft. Therefore, both types will cease to be based at New York Metropolitan with existing Boeing 777 and 787 aircraft being shuffled on to former Airbus A330 routes. As a result, American Airlines service to Barcelona - El Prat / Josep Tarradellas and Buenos Aires - Ezeiza / Ministro Pistarini will not resume once the airport re-opens. American Airlines intend to return to both destinations when additional aircraft are available.
  • Delta Air Lines have announced the immediate retirement of the McDonnell Douglas MD-88 aircraft with the MD-90 expected to follow shortly after. Boeing 737-800 aircraft are expected to replace the Mad-Dogs on their Atlanta - Hartsfield Jackson [GA] and Detroit - Metropolitan / Wayne County [MI] shuttle services. Delta has also announced the retirement of the Boeing 777 fleet, of which four were based at New York Metropolitan. As a result, B777-200/LR flights to Mumbai - Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj have been terminated and will not return. This leaves one B777-200/ER and one B777-200/LR which will remain active in the very short-term until their phase-out later this year. Delta will also stop service to Fort Lauderdale - Hollywood [FL] and Reykjavík - Keflavík in order to re-deploy aircraft to other services.

Thanks for reading and I hope to be back with new updates soon!

- Cal.

Old 05-25-2020, 08:59 AM   #109
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

It'll be interesting to see your diorama once everything will be somewhat normal again Cal!

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:20 AM   #110
ATP Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

These certainly are some of the worst of times for airlines and the flying public. As always, looking forward to your updates--this has been a great airport to follow!
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:37 AM   #111
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1736 View Post
NEWS

With the on-going global pandemic affecting real-world aviation like never before, it was inevitable that some airlines and aircraft wouldn't make it to the other side. With this in mind, I've made some initial schedule changes in-line with some airline fleet announcements that have been made so far. There will likely be more to come, but rest assured New York Metropolitan will be back once things get back to normal and I have room to display the airport once again!
  • Air India has ended operations to New York Metropolitan with their Boeing 747-400 aircraft. The airline will continue to serve both Delhi - Indira Gandhi and Mumbai - Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj with Boeing 787-8 aircraft on alternate days.
  • American Airlines have announced the retirement of their Airbus A330-300 aircraft and the long-term storage of their Airbus A330-200 aircraft. Therefore, both types will cease to be based at New York Metropolitan with existing Boeing 777 and 787 aircraft being shuffled on to former Airbus A330 routes. As a result, American Airlines service to Barcelona - El Prat / Josep Tarradellas and Buenos Aires - Ezeiza / Ministro Pistarini will not resume once the airport re-opens. American Airlines intend to return to both destinations when additional aircraft are available.
  • Delta Air Lines have announced the immediate retirement of the McDonnell Douglas MD-88 aircraft with the MD-90 expected to follow shortly after. Boeing 737-800 aircraft are expected to replace the Mad-Dogs on their Atlanta - Hartsfield Jackson [GA] and Detroit - Metropolitan / Wayne County [MI] shuttle services. Delta has also announced the retirement of the Boeing 777 fleet, of which four were based at New York Metropolitan. As a result, B777-200/LR flights to Mumbai - Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj have been terminated and will not return. This leaves one B777-200/ER and one B777-200/LR which will remain active in the very short-term until their phase-out later this year. Delta will also stop service to Fort Lauderdale - Hollywood [FL] and Reykjavík - Keflavík in order to re-deploy aircraft to other services.

Thanks for reading and I hope to be back with new updates soon!

- Cal.
Bad news after bad news...very sad Cal.
There is possibility for new airlines joining the airport?

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:20 AM   #112
New York Metro Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
It'll be interesting to see your diorama once everything will be somewhat normal again Cal!
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle beat View Post
These certainly are some of the worst of times for airlines and the flying public. As always, looking forward to your updates--this has been a great airport to follow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
Bad news after bad news...very sad Cal.
There is possibility for new airlines joining the airport?
Thanks all for the comments! Only a very small number of fights have been cut at this stage, with 240 daily departures still scheduled when the airport opens again. The table I use to display the airport has had to become my work desk while my companies office is closed, but as soon as I can get back to the office you can be sure my airport will be back out on the table!

Ale - a very good question and I do have some good news to report! Sun Country will be joining the list of airlines operating from New York Metropolitan once the airport re-opens, while a second destination is also planned for Aer Lingus, so do look out for those announcements shortly! I'm also continuing to purchase new models meaning we will continue to see new aircraft touching down here.

- Cal.

Old 07-20-2020, 06:41 PM   #113
New York Metro Airport

NEWS

Two months have passed since I posted my last news update, but New York Metropolitan continues to operate with significantly reduced traffic at present. Domestic traffic is beginning to return, but international traffic is still sparse. As things hopefully continue to improve, I will aim to get the airport back out soon for more photos. In the meantime, I've continued adjusting the schedules as a result of the almost daily announcements coming from airlines around the world. I'm also still purchasing models and currently have 11 new modes on pre-order. These are mostly direct replacements for models already in my collection, but there are also a few brand-new additions that will provide expansion. Anyway, here are some more changes that have been implemented since my previous post.
  • Aeroflot have up-gauged the equipment deployed on their daily Moscow - Sheremetyevo service from the Airbus A330-300 to the Airbus A350-900. The new equipment is yet to be seen in New York, but the local spotters will definitely be out to capture this aircraft when Aeroflot resumes service to New York Metropolitan.
  • Alaska Airlines have ended their service to Los Angeles [CA] less than six months after launching the route citing changing market conditions. The displaced Boeing 737-700/WL will be re-deployed on the existing San Diego [CA] to New York Metropolitan service, replacing the previously scheduled Airbus A319-100. This follows the announcement from Alaska Airlines that their fleet of Airbus A319's would be retired with immediate effect.
  • Cargolux have launched a new cargo link between Luxembourg and New York Metropolitan with Boeing 747-8/F equipment. The service was inaugurated in June and operates daily.
  • Delta Air Lines have completed the retirement of the final based MD-90 aircraft, replacing it with a Boeing 737-800/WL on the three times daily Detroit - Metropolitan / Wayne County [MI] service. The two remaining Boeing 777's have also been retired, resulting in several equipment changes across the international network. Service to Rio de Janeiro - Galeăo and Athens - Eleftherios Venizelos has been terminated as a knock-on effect of these equipment changes. Service to Los Angeles [CA] is now served exclusively with Boeing 757-300/WL equipment on two daily rotations. Minneapolis - Saint Paul [MN] continues to be a Boeing 757-300/WL route, but frequency has dropped to once daily. Equipment changes to the following daily services have also been implemented: San Francisco [CA] down-gauged to Boeing 757-200/WL, Orlando [FL] up-gauged to Boeing 757-300/WL, Frankfurt and London - Heathrow both down-gauged to Airbus A330-200, Rome - Fiumicino / Leonardo da Vinci down-gauged to Airbus A330-300, Paris - Charles de Gaulle down-gauged to Airbus A330-900, Tel Aviv - Ben Gurion up-gauged to the new flagship Airbus A350-900.
  • jetBlue have announced plans to move their California focus city from Long Beach [CA] to Los Angeles [CA]. As result, the carrier has moved it's existing daily rotation between New York Metropolitan and California to Los Angeles [CA] with immediate effect.
  • Sun Country Airlines have announced a new service linking New York Metropolitan with Minneapolis - Saint Paul [MN]. Sun Country will become the second airline serving the route behind Delta Air Lines with the new service being operated daily with Boeing 737-800/WL equipment.

That's all for today! Thanks once again for reading and I'll continue to update this thread with news as my pre-order models arrive until I can share new photos from the airport.

- Cal.

Old 07-20-2020, 06:54 PM   #114
Earning My Wings

stephen1160 is getting startedstephen1160 is getting startedstephen1160 is getting startedstephen1160 is getting startedstephen1160 is getting startedstephen1160 is getting started

Just getting a look at your amazing airport. Love the variety of aircraft and the detail you have included. I haven't modeled my first airport yet and am torn between trying an actual location or a fictional "fantasy" airport. At this point I just keep adding to my collection! Thanks for sharing!!
stephen1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 06:51 AM   #115
New York Metro Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen1160 View Post
Just getting a look at your amazing airport. Love the variety of aircraft and the detail you have included. I haven't modeled my first airport yet and am torn between trying an actual location or a fictional "fantasy" airport. At this point I just keep adding to my collection! Thanks for sharing!!
Thanks for the comment Stephen, they're always appreciated!

My airport is actually a mix between real life and fantasy - the airport serves New York City and I take the airlines and routes from the three real life New York City area airports, but the airport is not trying to be an exact replica of any of these airports in terms of design and sheer size. This could be something to consider when you come to designing your own airport, because it can create a realistic display without needing a huge amount of space and several hundred models! How big is your collection so far? Does your collection have a focus, or do you just collect models of your favourite aircraft types and liveries? It would be great to hear more about your collection and your ideas for an airport!

- Cal.

Old 07-21-2020, 04:31 PM   #116
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Great update about your timetable my friend.

Charter airlines lover

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
Old 07-21-2020, 05:08 PM   #117
Earning My Wings

stephen1160 is getting startedstephen1160 is getting startedstephen1160 is getting startedstephen1160 is getting startedstephen1160 is getting startedstephen1160 is getting started

Hey Cal, Thanks for the encouragement and advice. I have just surpassed 335 models (which would probably make my lovely wife faint if she knew the exact count!!). Around 2005 I thought it might be fun to collect a model from each aircraft type I had flown in with the airline & color scheme at the time. A bit of a challenge but not impossible and I figured how many planes could it be, right? I started with 1:250, moved to 1:200 and then discovered 1:400. Still get the other scales from time to time but 1:400 is the focus. My collecting goes in spurts but has been in "after-burner" mode during COVID. The original thought was to model Hartsfield Jackson (ATL) which admittedly would be a rather huge undertaking. Thus the collections has quite a few Delta models but over time I have added a lot of other US - based carriers. But I knew I needed quite a few International carriers and also aircraft from different time periods. So, after Delta, the collection has a lot of Braniff, United and American and several from Continental, PSA, TWA, USAir, Hawaiian, Alaska, Northwest, etc. JAL, Aeroflot, SwissAir and British Air are represented the most from my International carriers. Oh and I have probably 100 models I use to sell or trade to support the habit. It is terribly addicting.
stephen1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:42 AM   #118
New York Metro Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
Great update about your timetable my friend.
Thanks for reading and commenting Ale! I like to post my timetable updates to this thread to build the story of the diorama as it continues to evolve over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen1160 View Post
Hey Cal, Thanks for the encouragement and advice. I have just surpassed 335 models (which would probably make my lovely wife faint if she knew the exact count!!). Around 2005 I thought it might be fun to collect a model from each aircraft type I had flown in with the airline & color scheme at the time. A bit of a challenge but not impossible and I figured how many planes could it be, right? I started with 1:250, moved to 1:200 and then discovered 1:400. Still get the other scales from time to time but 1:400 is the focus. My collecting goes in spurts but has been in "after-burner" mode during COVID. The original thought was to model Hartsfield Jackson (ATL) which admittedly would be a rather huge undertaking. Thus the collections has quite a few Delta models but over time I have added a lot of other US - based carriers. But I knew I needed quite a few International carriers and also aircraft from different time periods. So, after Delta, the collection has a lot of Braniff, United and American and several from Continental, PSA, TWA, USAir, Hawaiian, Alaska, Northwest, etc. JAL, Aeroflot, SwissAir and British Air are represented the most from my International carriers. Oh and I have probably 100 models I use to sell or trade to support the habit. It is terribly addicting.
Wow Stephen, you have a lot more models than I was expecting! The hobby is certainly addicting - I have to be strict and only collect models that I can use on this diorama, but I've still surpassed the 180 mark with my 1:400 scale collection. You can check out my collection on DiMA by clicking the graphic in my signature if you want to see more. My full collection is on DiMA with the exception of my pair of Cathay Pacific A350's which aren't in the database due to a licensing issue between Cathay and DiMA. Anyway, interesting that you started with 1:200 scale and moved down to 1:400 scale - did you fulfill your goal of collecting a model of each aircraft type and livery that you'd flown? I started with Schabak 1:600's when I was younger and then discovered 1:400 much later (around 8 years ago now).

In regards to your ambitions to realise a 1:400 scale replica of Atlanta, that certainly would be a big project! Still, it sounds like you have a good amount of models in your collection to produce a scaled down version of Delta's mega-hub quite easily. Perhaps modelling a single runway, a Delta Terminal, a domestic terminal and an international terminal would result in a nice diorama setup that you could use to display some of your collection. Based on your post above, you have a lot of North American models and most of the key international airlines to make something realistic.

Feel free to send me a PM if you want to discuss more about the hobby or if you need some more ideas when you're ready to start building a diorama. Welcome to Wings and thanks for the great discussion so far - postive rep. added!

- Cal.

Old 08-15-2020, 10:26 AM   #119
EmiratesTwoFourOneSuper

solicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobby

Cal, interesting news you got there...looking forward to see them all in action very soon!
solicitor82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 03:13 PM   #120
The Dark Side

Aer Lingus with the A321LR? Or the A330?

Charter airlines lover

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: