Which USA airport? - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-29-2019, 05:09 PM   #1
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Which USA airport?

Following my mental way about handmade airports to realize, i arrived to USA layouts.
I would like to realize an hub with domestic, international and especially intercontinental traffic.
There are many fantastic mega-hubs in USA, the problem is not the choice; the "problems" are some:
1) an hub where domestic, international and intercontinental airlines are close;
2) an hub handling enough airlines from Europe;
3) an hub with a terminal building enough easy to realize (as you probably know i am realizing the terminal buildings by myself using wood).
4) i haven't enough space, 1 x 1 meter wood panel.

The airports i prefer more are Miami, New York JFK, Washington "Dulles", Orlando (while Atlanta is in my heart for the presence of Delta, one of my favourite airlines, and Philadelphia and Charlotte :

Miami because it is the mega-hub for Europe, North America, South America, an airport full of many airlines; the problem for Miami is the very difficult international/intercontinental terminal building shape

and the too many central-south America missing airlines in 1:500 scale, especially the narrowbodies from LATAM, Avianca, COPA, Aeromexico, Volaris, VivaAerobus, Interjet, VivaColombia etc. etc.

Washington "Dulles" is a very interesting airport, the terminal buildings are easy to realize (straight terminal) and i could make international/intercontinetal traffic on one side and domestic traffic on the other side of the terminal building (even because i don't know which is the terminal for international/intercontinetal traffic at Washington "Dulles" airport)

All the most important airlines of the world serve Washington "Dulles", so this is a very interesting airport to realize in 1:500 scale.

New York JFK, everything have been said, an iconic airport for USA, the most logic choice because of the airlines serving it. But, which section to realize? I haven't enough space with all the airports i have realized and i am realizing, so i have to make a choice.
The section with the control tower could be the more probable, with the long, straight terminal building, even if another section has been added and i haven't enough space for all.
Even for this airport i have to decide where to place the domestic and international/intercontinetal airlines.

Orlando Airport, i love this airport because i have already realized it in the first years of my fantastic route of handmade airports builder and because of its shape; i especially love the section with the gates 60-99, where two small lakes were situated among grass and trees. But Orlando is a Southwest, Spirit and Frontier hub, three airlines Herpa doesn't produce, and some important European airlines don't serve it (Alitalia, Air France and Iberia among them).

Chicago "O'Hare" is another amazing airport to realize, with all the possible airlines serving it, but the terminal buildings are quite difficult to realize and i don't know how to place the various airlines.
Other interesting airports are LAX (of course!) and San Francisco, Denver, Boston, Seattle.

I ask your help: which USA airport i can realize according to the four "problems" i should to solve?
Thanks for your help, suggestions, considerations, comments.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!

Last edited by Charter; 07-29-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2019, 05:57 PM   #2
Sympathy for the devil 😈

Wingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobby
Re: Which USA airport?

Interesting project.

At IAD United Airlines international flights arrive at concourse C. From there international arriving passengers use mobile lounges to get to the immigration hall. Transfer passengers clear immigration inside the concourse where they can collect and recheck their bags.

All other international flights (except some Air Canada flights originating from airports with US preclearance which arrives at concourse Z) arrives at concourse B. From there all international arriving and transiting passengers are transported by mobile lounge to immigration.

Concourse A and Z handles regional jets, Concourse C and D are used exclusively by United and all remaining airlines uses concourse B.

Remember that at US airports there is no separation between international departing passengers and domestic passengers (since all transfer passengers; including international transfers; need to clear US immigration and TSA checks the passport of all departing passengers). This means that domestic and international flights often departs at gates next to each other.

My collection: http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/...usselsairlines
Wingslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:01 PM   #3
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingslover View Post
Interesting project.

At IAD United Airlines international flights arrive at concourse C. From there international arriving passengers use mobile lounges to get to the immigration hall. Transfer passengers clear immigration inside the concourse where they can collect and recheck their bags.

All other international flights (except some Air Canada flights originating from airports with US preclearance which arrives at concourse Z) arrives at concourse B. From there all international arriving and transiting passengers are transported by mobile lounge to immigration.

Concourse A and Z handles regional jets, Concourse C and D are used exclusively by United and all remaining airlines uses concourse B.

Remember that at US airports there is no separation between international departing passengers and domestic passengers (since all transfer passengers; including international transfers; need to clear US immigration and TSA checks the passport of all departing passengers). This means that domestic and international flights often departs at gates next to each other.
Thanks Alberic.
Indeed Washington "Dulles" seems to be the easier to realize, because of the terminal building shape and because of the comment/suggestion you made.

Charter airlines lover

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria...R.I.P.

Old 07-30-2019, 01:20 AM   #4
SpeedBirdOneThreeNine

solicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobby

Interesting thread Ale, I prefer airports like JFK, LAX or SFO because of the heavy traffic such as BA, EK, EY (only JFK and LAX), QR, LH, AF, KLM, Qantas, Air New Zealand (SFO and LAX only), Korean, CX, SQ, AC (from YYZ, YYC, YVR, YUL, YEG) and many many many more international airlines as well as being a hub for US based airlines!!! However, go with your instinct, my friend!!!
solicitor82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 04:06 AM   #5
Sympathy for the devil 😈

Wingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
Thanks Alberic.
Indeed Washington "Dulles" seems to be the easier to realize, because of the terminal building shape and because of the comment/suggestion you made.
You're welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solicitor82 View Post
Interesting thread Ale, I prefer airports like JFK, LAX or SFO because of the heavy traffic such as BA, EK, EY (only JFK and LAX), QR, LH, AF, KLM, Qantas, Air New Zealand (SFO and LAX only), Korean, CX, SQ, AC (from YYZ, YYC, YVR, YUL, YEG) and many many many more international airlines as well as being a hub for US based airlines!!! However, go with your instinct, my friend!!!
The problem with JFK is that LH, KE, SN, LX, AF etc. uses Terminal 1, QR, BA, IB etc. uses Terminal 7, CX, QF, LA etc. uses Terminal 8 and most other international airlines uses Terminal 4. Releasing all the JFK terminals would require a lot of space but also very complex terminal structures and and airside area and of course many aircrafts that aren't available in 1:500.

As for LAX, most international airlines uses TBIT and Herpa gave us a clue that they might release that terminal soon in cardboard.

Old 07-30-2019, 02:41 PM   #6
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Las Vegas is pretty simple to do, but not enough Allegiant/Spirit/Frontier to do it.

Miami might be the best option.
Check out my Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html

Not Looking for a Sky500 Jet Airways 777-300ER anymore! They kinda went bankrupt..

Also check out my photos on Planespotters.net!

Planespotters.net - Aviation Photos, Production Lists and more
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:03 PM   #7
RJ First Officer

Budgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dog

Could I suggest my local airport, Seattle-Tacoma International (SeaTac)? The South Satellite sees all the international traffic at this airport and I think is made up of simple shapes that you could create out of wood. Of course, being on the west coast, we get a lot of pacific and asian traffic, but there are a lot of European regulars (though not so many low-cost and leisure airlines) - BA, Virgin, Lufthansa, Condor, Aer Lingus, Air France, Icelandair etc. As far as American narrow bodies, Herpa does at least produce a number of Delta models, and a small few Alaska and United models that you would see around the South Satellite.

If you're feeling particularly ambitious, they're planning to build a skybridge across the taxiway, linking the satellite to the main terminal building, like at Gatwick! I'm sure enough reference models and artist's impressions exist that you could create this out of wood/paper

.... Come to think of it, now I want to make SeaTac... No, I have to focus on BOS!
Old 08-01-2019, 07:24 AM   #8
The Dark Side

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, i forgot Seattle "Tacoma" and it is an airport with enough traffic to be considered (but no Alitalia flights).
Las Vegas "McCarran" also is good especially because it is served by many leisure airlines like Condor, Edelweiss, Level, Thomas Cook, Eurowings.
Maybe i will realize more USA airports, two or three i believe.

Charter airlines lover

Old 08-02-2019, 09:43 AM   #9
Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

I think that building MIA would satisfy your airplane display criteria the best. By making Concourse J, you have the option of European, South American, and Caribbean traffic; adding Concourse H brings in Delta (but no one would complain if you had some Delta jets parking at "J").
Given your preference for creating wooden terminal buildings, I think you would be able to find a piece of wood molding (like the kind of trim used around doorways) from your local lumber supplier that would roughly resemble the form of Concourse J's roofline, which could then be glued atop a rectangular block of slightly less width, thus creating a reasonable if not perfectly proportioned terminal building. This hobby involves much fantasy after all, and the beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Alternatively, you could build the curved roof by applying a thin, flexible Plastric styrene sheet (.010") over a teardrop-shaped supporting framework cut from thicker nonflexible styrene (.030"), which with enough tinkering would be perfect.

Whatever you do, post pictures. It is always a joy to follow your projects!!
Pete
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:43 AM   #10
The Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle beat View Post
I think that building MIA would satisfy your airplane display criteria the best. By making Concourse J, you have the option of European, South American, and Caribbean traffic; adding Concourse H brings in Delta (but no one would complain if you had some Delta jets parking at "J").
Given your preference for creating wooden terminal buildings, I think you would be able to find a piece of wood molding (like the kind of trim used around doorways) from your local lumber supplier that would roughly resemble the form of Concourse J's roofline, which could then be glued atop a rectangular block of slightly less width, thus creating a reasonable if not perfectly proportioned terminal building. This hobby involves much fantasy after all, and the beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Alternatively, you could build the curved roof by applying a thin, flexible Plastric styrene sheet (.010") over a teardrop-shaped supporting framework cut from thicker nonflexible styrene (.030"), which with enough tinkering would be perfect.

Whatever you do, post pictures. It is always a joy to follow your projects!!
Pete
"High engineering" Pete!
Thanks for the support and the suggestion, i have to check the various terminal buildings very well.

Charter airlines lover

Old 08-03-2019, 02:56 PM   #11
Second Officer

Kmonaghen is a legend of the hobbyKmonaghen is a legend of the hobbyKmonaghen is a legend of the hobbyKmonaghen is a legend of the hobbyKmonaghen is a legend of the hobbyKmonaghen is a legend of the hobbyKmonaghen is a legend of the hobbyKmonaghen is a legend of the hobbyKmonaghen is a legend of the hobbyKmonaghen is a legend of the hobbyKmonaghen is a legend of the hobby

As a regional airline captain who has flown in to most of the major hubs in the US, and a fan of building US airports, I have a few suggestions for you.
Houston IAH is a major hub for United and for anything related to the oil world. Many European, asian and gulf airlines fly here.
Dallas DFW is another good option with many international careers.
Of course all the other you listed are good options too in addition to Chicago ORD.
Kmonaghen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 05:26 PM   #12
The Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmonaghen View Post
As a regional airline captain who has flown in to most of the major hubs in the US, and a fan of building US airports, I have a few suggestions for you.
Houston IAH is a major hub for United and for anything related to the oil world. Many European, asian and gulf airlines fly here.
Dallas DFW is another good option with many international careers.
Of course all the other you listed are good options too in addition to Chicago ORD.
Thanks so much for the suggestions.
I am considering everything.

Charter airlines lover

Old 08-03-2019, 07:28 PM   #13
Sympathy for the devil 😈

Alessandro, how large will your project be? That’s probably the most important element

Old 08-04-2019, 09:58 AM   #14
The Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingslover View Post
Alessandro, how large will your project be? Thatís probably the most important element
I still don't know Alberic; i am finishing Osaka "Kansai" then i will decide which, of the many wood panels i have, i can use.

Charter airlines lover

Old 08-12-2019, 04:53 PM   #15
The Dark Side

I decided to start with Washington "Dulles", i'll start the work in the next days.

Charter airlines lover

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: