Rhodes International Airport "Diagoras" (Greece - LGRP) 1:500 scale. - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-16-2019, 09:34 AM   #1
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Rhodes International Airport "Diagoras" (Greece - LGRP) 1:500 scale.

Rhodes "Diagoras" has always been a priority among my handmade airports, along with Skiathos, Santorini and Corf¨.
Skiathos is especially known for the extreme landing, airplanes passing only few meters over the spotters heads, a "Saint Marteen of the Aegean sea". The airport, with just two (three) parking stands, has been renewed few years ago adding a completely new apron with more parking stands.
Santorini is famous because airport of one of the most beautiful islands of the world, an airport where the airplanes park along two parallel rows at the apron borders, leaving the central zone for taxiing; the airplane parking stands don't have marks, just the ground crew organize the parks. Even Santorini Airport will be renewed with a reorganization of the apron and new parking stands.
Corf¨ is, probably, the second most important Greek leisure airport after Rhodes, an important charter/leisure traffic and the apron is really particular, with the Greek feature to have slanted parking stands with the tail section of the airplanes facing the terminal building. Even Corf¨ will be reorganized by Fraport-Greece with a new terminal building, a new apron and new parking stands.
Rhodes Airport was similar to Corf¨, even if bigger and with more traffic: similar terminal building, similar apron and similar airplane parking stands. I was ready to realize the apron but then, spending a holiday week at Rhodes, i was amazed to look at the new apron: Fraport-Greece already changed the airport with a reorganization of the apron, new parking stands, different service road. Now the airplanes park in front of the terminal building, the nose section facing the terminal windows; there are 16 parking stands in front of the terminal building (two of them are slanted) and 6 parking stands parallel to the runway, behind the "internal" taxiway.
The taxiway before closed because of the widebody parking stand now can be used, there are two apron taxiways instead of a single central one.
Unfortunately there aren't updated Jeppesen charts, available maps or other infos about the new apron/parking stands.
Even using Google Maps or Bing Maps the satellite vision is old or not available (Google Maps obscured all Greek airports because in Greece the airports are under military rules):
Google Maps

Bing Maps

This was Rhodes Airport before the reorganization, few days ago:

These are Fraport-Greece sketches for the new airport:

the apron is intuitive but there aren't enough infos for those, like me, building almost perfect replica of the real airports!

I realized some sketches of Rhodes, before to know it has been updated:

This is (was) the incredibly difficult apron grid:

These the airlines serving Rhodes Airport:
Adria
Aegean
airBaltic
Air Bucharest
Alitalia
Arkia
Astra Airlines
Austrian Airlines
Aviolet
Belavia
Bluebird Airways
Blu-express
British Airways
Brussels Airlines
Chair Airlines
Condor
Corendon Airlines Europe
Corendon Dutch Airlines
Cyprus Airways
easyJet
Edelweiss Air
Ellinair
Enter Air
Eurowings
Finnair
Great Dane Airlines
Israir
Jet2.com
JetTime
Laudamotion
LOT
Luxair
MEA
neos
Norwegian Air Shuttle
Novair
Olympic Air
RoyalFlight
Ryanair
Ryanair Sun
S7 Airlines
SAS
Sky Express
Smartwings
Smartwings Hungary
Smartwings Slovakia
Smartwings Poland
Sun D'Or
SundAir
SunExpress Deutschland
Thomas Cook Airlines
Thomas Cook Scandinavia
Transavia
Transavia France
TUI Airways
TUIfly Belgium
TUIfly Deutschland
TUIfly Nordic
TUIfly Netherlands
TUS Airways
Ural Airlines
Volotea
Vueling
Windrose Airlines
Wizz Air
So many wonderful leisure/charter airlines, hoping Herpa will realize more of them!
But i ask your help for the new apron: if you have infos, maps, sketches of the new apron tarmac grid/parking stands disposition and numbers, please tell me.
Thanks for your help.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2019, 02:26 PM   #2
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Re: Rhodes International Airport "Diagoras" (Greece - LGRP) 1:500 scale.

Rhodes apron: here i will start to draw the new parking stands, the taxiways, the service road.

Charter airlines lover

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana...R.I.P.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:27 PM   #3
The Dark Side

Sad not to have help from you, fellow collectors, just for the reason that sharing infos is beautiful and useful, but i imagine you did not find latest news and projects of this airport.
Anyway i am using the videos i have realized, despite the fact that in Greece each airport is military place, even the civil airports.
I am recreating Rhodes new apron and especially the parking stands, marks, taxiways and service road watching the videos.

Charter airlines lover

Old 07-19-2019, 09:49 PM   #4
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

I honestly have no idea what Rhodes Airport looks like, so I'm sorry I can't be of help hence why I didn't comment.
Check out my Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html

Not Looking for a Sky500 Jet Airways 777-300ER anymore! They kinda went bankrupt..

Also check out my photos on Planespotters.net!

Planespotters.net - Aviation Photos, Production Lists and more
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:32 AM   #5
Sympathy for the devil 😈

Wingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
I honestly have no idea what Rhodes Airport looks like, so I'm sorry I can't be of help hence why I didn't comment.
Same here.

My collection: http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/...usselsairlines
Wingslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:39 PM   #6
The Dark Side

Here Rhodes "Diagoras" as i recreated from videos, Fraport-Greece sketches and intuition: it is clearly much different from the old Rhodes, with a completely new apron and parking stands.
I realized even the terminal building.

Charter airlines lover

Old 07-21-2019, 04:39 PM   #7
The Dark Side

I can't wait to receive the two Novair A321neo's, Laudamotion A320 and, why not, maybe Volotea or neos or Blue Panorama or Jet2holidays or JetTime...i continue to hope herpa will announce more leisure/charter airlines.
All traffic essential for these European holiday airports.

Charter airlines lover

Last edited by Charter; 07-21-2019 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:12 AM   #8
Earning My Wings

Athney is flying under the radar
Great attention to detail Charter, looks like that would have been alot of effort to create the layout. Agree it would be great if we had a few more leisure airlines, or a A320 Aegean would be great for these type of airports.
Athney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:28 AM   #9
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Looks very good indeed. I like how you keep expanding your workings by making custom terminals as well!
Check out my Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html

Not Looking for a Sky500 Jet Airways 777-300ER anymore! They kinda went bankrupt..

Old 07-26-2019, 01:52 PM   #10
The Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athney View Post
Great attention to detail Charter, looks like that would have been alot of effort to create the layout. Agree it would be great if we had a few more leisure airlines, or a A320 Aegean would be great for these type of airports.
Thanks my friend.
I swear i will no more complaint if Herpa will realize JetTime B737-700WL, ASL Airlines France B737-700WL, Aegean A320WL, Volotea B717, TUI Airways B737-800WL, Blue Panorama B737-800WL, neos B737-800WL, Jet2holidays B737-800WL or B757-200WL, Arkia A321LR or B757-300WL, Aviolet B737-300, easyJet A320WL.
So, according to the fact that Herpa will never produce B737-300's, unfortunately i will never stop to complaint.

Quote:
Looks very good indeed. I like how you keep expanding your workings by making custom terminals as well!
Thanks dear Thom, i am very happy for the result of buidling Terminals by my own, trying to recreate them similar to the real ones.

Charter airlines lover

Old 07-29-2019, 01:57 PM   #11
The Dark Side

Eurowings A320WL check of the new Rhodes:

Charter airlines lover

Old 07-30-2019, 10:21 AM   #12
The Dark Side

Anyway, even if i am satisfied of this layout i am not sure the new Rhodes is really this.
For this reason i decided to realize also the "old" apron with old parking stands.
Even my friend Guido, flying for Thomas Cook with a leased A321 (Avion Express LY-VEC), still doesn't know the new Rhodes apron + parking stands. He told me the traffic at Rhodes is incredible, full of charter and leisure airlines. And i am a bit disappointed of the new more modern airport: in my opinion it is the same of eurowhite vs original liveries, old chaotic busy Rhodes is/was original, the new Rhodes realized by Fraport-Greece is similar to the "politically correct" eurowhite liveries.

Charter airlines lover

Last edited by Charter; 07-30-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:38 PM   #13
Admin

Does he not have any updated charts (by Jepessen for example)?

Old 07-31-2019, 04:34 PM   #14
The Dark Side

Quote:
Does he not have any updated charts (by Jepessen for example)?
It doesn't, Jeppesen produced Rhodes charts regarding the old apron; the new apron has been opened to the traffic few months ago.

Charter airlines lover

Old 08-02-2019, 08:46 AM   #15
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

I like the ground markings that you are making. This looks like another exciting airport to follow--great work!
Pete
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: