Boston Logan Airport [1:500] - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-09-2019, 02:26 PM   #1
RJ First Officer

Budgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dog
Boston Logan Airport [1:500]

---o---o---o---

I decided, now that I'm settled into my new city and job, to restart this project completely from scratch. I wasn't happy with how the terminals were coming out in plastic. The material is really nice if you can execute perfectly, but I don't think my skills in plasticard are good enough.

So I've gone back to that old standby, paper! I feel much more confident in my work with paper, and can buy mounting board from art stores in colours already, and not have to mess around with paints, etc.

Even better, this airport is going to be aaaalmost to scale. I am trying to stay as accurate as I can to 3d imagery, with a little fudging to make things work (and cover some mistakes ). But I won't be skipping any gates, if I can.

That does mean I won't be able to get quite all of the airport. This is, hopefully, going to be a big project. My current setup is three 2ft x 4ft boards together, to show terminals A and B. I hope to get three more for C and E, but I don't think they'll be displayed together very often at all. I'm taking inspiration from Cal's Dubai airport, which I think exists on separate display boards. With good photography though, the scenes certainly don't seem separate, and I hope recreate that here.

Talking about photography, guess who finally got herself a real camera? I'm still learning how to properly shoot, but I promise an increase in photo quality from here on out, both on airport projects and over on my spotting thread!

A couple teaser shots in the next post. Seattle is snowed in today, so I'm planning to stay warm at home and continue building Terminal B. BOS's buildings are very disjoint and weirdly shaped, so it's been a fun challenge so far!

-Kate

Last edited by Budgie; 02-09-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Budgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2019, 02:35 PM   #2
RJ First Officer

Budgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dog
Re: Boston Logan Airport [1:500]

Sneak peek of things to come...

IMG_0018 by Kate Bax, on Flickr

Terminal A was once a full hub for Delta Air Lines, but since 2005 has existed as a Focus City. These days, Delta seems to be ramping up their presence at BOS, in an effort to keep JetBlue in check and their other Big 3 rivals from getting too much of a foothold in the city.

It's been a fun challenge to collect Delta models. There are some, but I'm sure we all know how few there are compared to euro airlines. To that point, I've had to custom two of my current 3 models. The Herpa-original model, the 737-900 has quickly become one of my favourites though. I hope to find a couple A321s for a reasonable price this year, and perhaps an A220 for Delta's shuttle service to NYC!
Old 02-09-2019, 02:38 PM   #3
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

What a beautiful project and what a beautiful airport!
I am really happy when you, friends, realize your handmade layout! Well done, post more pics please.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want: Neos B737-800WL, Volotea B717, Blue Panorama B737-800WL, TUI Airways UK B737-800WL, JetTime B737-700WL, ASL Airlines France B737-700WL, easyJet A320neo and A321neo, Jet2.com B737-800WL, Jet2holidays B737-800WL and B757-200WL, Nouvelair A320, Israir A320, TUIfly Nordic B737-800WL, Level A321WL, Evelop A320WL, Blue Air B737-800WL, Enter Air B737-800WL, Air Italy B737 Max 8, Atlantic Airways A320, Nordstar B737-800WL, Nordwind A321, AlbaStar B737-800WL, Aviolet B737-300, Air Horizont B737-400, Air Mediterranean B737-400, Air Explore B737-800WL, Ukraine International B737-800WL, Azur Air B737-800WL, Rossiya Airlines A320, Royal Flight B737-800WL, Sunday Airlines B757-200, SundAir A320, UTAir B737-800WL, Ellinair A319/320, FreeBird A320, Finnair A320WL, Korean Air A330-200, Singapore Airlines A330-300, Air Caraibes A350-900, Air Europa B737-800WL, Aegean A320WL, Air China A330-200.

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2019, 03:29 PM   #4
Selfie with bros

LeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobby

Yessssss! Finally! Great to see your projects again, Budgie! They are always a pleasure to see always with great details and realism.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:58 PM   #5
RJ Second Officer

United 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributor

Wow! Looks like a great layout for Boston Logan in the making! Are those 3d-printed jetways? Also, how do you plan on realizing the Delta RJ ramp, considering that there are many of those models missing from Herpa's collection? I wish you the best of luck!
United 752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:37 PM   #6
RJ First Officer

They are! They’re mostly from the 10 or so jetways I printed while I still had access to my university’s printers. I look forward to the day I have access to a FormLabs printer again, those machines are amazing. I tried printing some jetways of my own design from Shapeways, and I’m still considering how much I like them. I need to try another of their materials to be sure, but I’m trying to keep the costs as low as possible so I can print enough for this whole project.

As far as Delta’s RJs go, I’m not too worried. Delta’s livery is actually really easy to recreate, and as I don’t really intend on selling my collection ever, I kinda enjoy the custom-making process. Though I’m nowhere near the level of the masters on the customs forum of this site!
Old 02-11-2019, 01:29 PM   #7
Wings of Wool

sheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributor

Old 02-12-2019, 07:02 PM   #8
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

I'm gonna need a close up of that Delta 767...

I didn't know Boston was just a focus city for Delta; in their JV, KLM tends to fly to the non-Delta hubs (ORD, SFO, IAH, MIA) are examples while Delta uses their metal for long haul flights from their hubs (or at least significant focus cities), I just assumed KBOS was bigger in Delta presence, that's all.

On to the modelling and I think it's excellent, I really enjoy seeing the beautiful structural work you present. Are those jetbridges 3D printed?!
Check out my Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html

Not Looking for a Sky500 Jet Airways 777-300ER anymore! They kinda went bankrupt..

Also check out my photos on Planespotters.net!

Planespotters.net - Aviation Photos, Production Lists and more
DutchCollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:40 PM   #9
RJ First Officer

Sorry, but I'm not sure you will get a close-up. The custom job on this one wasn't as great as I'd like. The white didn't go on as cleanly as I had wanted

I didn't know this either! But I also don't think that a hub is actually well-defined. jetBlue considers Boston a focus city as well, according to wikipedia, though they do maintain a crew base and of course a very large presence, probably largest after JFK? Also worth noting, isn't KLM going to take over flying BOS-AMS from Delta in the near future?

I plan on sending a second prototype of my 3d printed jetbridge through Shapeways soon. If I'm happy with the result, I'll post a link here for you all to buy your own! I hope its reasonably affordable to print lots of them.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:32 PM   #10
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budgie View Post
Sorry, but I'm not sure you will get a close-up. The custom job on this one wasn't as great as I'd like. The white didn't go on as cleanly as I had wanted

I didn't know this either! But I also don't think that a hub is actually well-defined. jetBlue considers Boston a focus city as well, according to wikipedia, though they do maintain a crew base and of course a very large presence, probably largest after JFK? Also worth noting, isn't KLM going to take over flying BOS-AMS from Delta in the near future?

I plan on sending a second prototype of my 3d printed jetbridge through Shapeways soon. If I'm happy with the result, I'll post a link here for you all to buy your own! I hope its reasonably affordable to print lots of them.
Yeah the line between Hub and Focus City can be thin and ill-defined. KLM will complement Delta's existing daily (twice in summer) service from Amsterdam to Boston. Delta will also launch Tampa, FL btw.. So that's going to be interesting, with MCO and LAX going daily!

The jetbridge looks cool, well done mate!
Check out my Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html

Not Looking for a Sky500 Jet Airways 777-300ER anymore! They kinda went bankrupt..

Also check out my photos on Planespotters.net!

Planespotters.net - Aviation Photos, Production Lists and more
DutchCollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:17 AM   #11
people's been to space

JanAir is a top dogJanAir is a top dogJanAir is a top dogJanAir is a top dogJanAir is a top dogJanAir is a top dogJanAir is a top dogJanAir is a top dogJanAir is a top dogJanAir is a top dogJanAir is a top dog

It's looking really good so far! I like the jetways, I tried making my own but they probably aren't useful printed without separating some things. Can't wait to see the rest of the model!

Check out the Aeropuerto de Rayo!

Add your airports to the Airports of Wings900 Wiki!
JanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 11:58 PM   #12
RJ First Officer

Some more sneak peeks. I promise I'm still working on this!

I'm actually incredibly happy with how the jetways came out after painting. They continue to be really fragile, and I may take off all the masts on the driving wheels to make them all uniform, but its really incredible what a little paint can to do make something look more realistic!

I hope you all enjoy these few photos. I've made a lot of progress since the first post, and think at this level of motivation, I can show off a mostly complete Terminal B soon!

And of course, Logan's mascot: Tiger Lily! Around the aircraft models she tends to be a very good girl. But of course I keep the GSE in a closed box when not taking photos. If she had to pick a favourite, it's probably that Delta 717 (the T-tail makes it easy for her to pick up). Good taste, Lily!
Old 06-01-2019, 12:29 AM   #13
SpeedBirdOneThreeNine

solicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobby

WOW, this is a wonderful diorama in the making...looking forward to the schedules with Emirates resuming A380 service to Boston after 3 years today and ofcourse the 4 British Airways daily flights!!! Tiger Lily is so adorable!!!
solicitor82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 12:48 AM   #14
RJ First Officer

She says thank you!

So far I've only focused on the domestic side of the airport, but eventually I'll work all the way around to Terminal E, and then you'll definitely see some BA and Emirates!

I can't wait to get there, especially as I've been on some of those BA flights. Its an incredible experience to push back on a BA A380 and see a BA 744 landing to take its spot! BOS also gets a daily 748 thanks to Lufthansa. I was really glad to get that model, since this is an aircraft I actually work on! Until I need it, this plane sits at my desk at work
Old 06-01-2019, 06:26 AM   #15
Captain

uncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top dog

What a good-looking airport. I think the attention to scale is exceptional! Looking forward to seeing more.
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: