Nantes Atlantique Airport - 1/500 scale - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-04-2018, 06:53 PM   #1
Student pilot

Malefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dog
Nantes Atlantique Airport - 1/500 scale

Hello !

Back to this forum with this airport project thread.
I live in Nantes, France and I've always been considering making a replica of the airport in 1/500 scale.

First, let me introduce Nantes with few pictures :

Now let's speak of the airport. Nantes airport is an airport mostly dedicated to short and medium haul flights, the only long haul flight is indeed Air Transat operated 3 times a week to YUL airport during summer period, while XL Airways France ponctually operate flights to Martinique during winter. Both are operated by Airbus A330.

The trafic is growing fast at the airport, 6 millions of passengers are expected at the end of the year (it gained 1 milllion per year during the last years). Volotea, Air France, Hop!, Transavia France are based to the airport. Easyjet has confirmed today they will also open a base starting in April 2019.

Here is a picture of the real airport :

Since I am working there, I decided to go further and I started the crazy project of making it as a true scale replica.
To start my airport project I decided I would like to learn using a new technology : 3D Printing. It has always been an interest for me, but making aircraft or vehicle was too difficult for me for a first attempt. The terminal is complex, but no rounded parts so I believed it would be possible to make it. Using Herpa buildings wasn't an option

First, I found a map showing all the airport at my work, which helped me a lot about the sizes of each parts. I reduced everything and made a drawing of the shape of the building, with all the size for 1/500 scale.

Then, I started the creation of the 3D model on the computer. I tried few software, spent a lot of time for a bad result and I finally came accros the online website TinkerCAD which was fine enough for me. I did the building 3 times : My first attempt was correct but was very expensive (someone told me 1000$ ) because there was no empty zone, for example under the building. Second attempt was better and very detailled (I even did the vent pipes at the top of the building) but some parts were too small to be printed, while the building was oversized. The last attempt was good for me.

I had to split the main building in 3 parts to fit in the 3D printer. With time, I finally achived to finish all the buildings I wanted. Here is an overall picture :

The terminal 4 which is mainly operated by Volotea and Hop :

As you can see, I also have worked on the foil. To obtain it, I "stole" what I could see on Google Maps, then erased all the lines and finally added the real lines over it. Maps was not accurate for everything, as the parkings stands L1 to L5 where not up to date.

The next step will now to finish the foil all the parking stands, and start painting and decalling the buildings.

I will keep you updated on this thread about the project. Despite Easyjet nor Volotea exists in 1/500 scale, I can have a realistic fleet of models coming to the airport (Air France, Hop, Transavia, Vueling, Rynair - if I can find one not so expensive -, Smartwings, etc...).

As I am fully happy for the moment with this project, I will probably restart my old greenlandic airport project Kangerlussuaq Airport with the same method (building done by 3D, foild with Maps) and also another hard one : Pyongyang Airport (I had this idea since I received the IL 62 Air Koryo few days ago ). The idea will to give life to my models with realistic replicas !

See you,
Pierre

Last edited by Malefiska; 09-04-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Malefiska is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2018, 08:01 PM   #2
Selfie with bros

LeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobby
Re: Nantes Atlantique Airport - 1/500 scale

Wooohoooo! Always wonderful to see airport projects with so much effort involved. Can't wait to see this diorama ready, it will be stunning. Great to see some work from you again, Pierre!

3D Printing is one of the coolest things that popped up in the last few years. It's so amazing to see what can be done. I still need to order more planes, but there's always a Herpa model as a priority in my wishlist. Hopefully i'll soonly be able to order more 3D printed birds.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:35 AM   #3
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Great project Pierre.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2018, 05:52 AM   #4
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Lovely job Pierre. I especially like the 3D-printed terminal, which might just be a first on this forum. Congrats on the innovative project, I look forward to more.
Check out my Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html

Not Looking for a Sky500 Jet Airways 777-300ER anymore! They kinda went bankrupt..

Also check out my photos on Planespotters.net!

Planespotters.net - Aviation Photos, Production Lists and more
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:14 PM   #5
Student pilot

Malefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dog

Thank you for the kind words. I started the painting of the building. I am terrible with painting

I will keep you updated when the building will be painted and decals applied !
Old 09-08-2018, 07:55 AM   #6
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

I am speechless. . . that terminal is out of this world. So much technical thought and creative energy went into realizing it. Really beautiful project!!
Great job
Best regards, Pete
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:45 AM   #7
Student pilot

Thank you for the kind comments !

Here is the building, painted (a bit darker than in reality) and I started the decals.

It is a big trial for me as I am not really skilled for painting.
As you can see on the last picture, the decals are not applied well on the building. The paper doesn't really adhere to the 3D material but I solved this for the other windows : another paper, more fragile, is faaaaaar better on this material.
I will keep you updated, the next time, you will probably see the building fully finished and with all decals.

Next step, after the building will be to finish all the details on the ground foil, but it is almost done

And then, I will start doing the real trafic of the airport. I plan to display current trafic have, but also models that flew here in the past (Euralair, Air Littoral, Aeris, AeroLyon, Khartago Airlines, Corsair... I need to do all of them as customs !)

Last edited by Malefiska; 11-01-2018 at 05:15 AM.
Malefiska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:27 AM   #8
Selfie with bros

LeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobby

Really awesome. The full 3D-Printed terminal is really a sight to behold!
Old 11-01-2018, 07:33 AM   #9
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

It looks rather good Pierre, despite the difficulties you're experiencing with the decals. It's surely a very interesting method of making a terminal! I wish I had such skills
Check out my Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html

Not Looking for a Sky500 Jet Airways 777-300ER anymore! They kinda went bankrupt..

Old 11-01-2018, 07:52 AM   #10
Second Officer

buettni is a top dogbuettni is a top dogbuettni is a top dogbuettni is a top dogbuettni is a top dogbuettni is a top dogbuettni is a top dogbuettni is a top dogbuettni is a top dogbuettni is a top dogbuettni is a top dog

Wow, that's really impressive! Fantastic work! I like the details of the 3d print a lot.

My registered fleet (still many items missing):
http://www.wings900.com/modeldatabase/mycollection/collection-24536.html
buettni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:32 PM   #11
Doctor Custom

PT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobby

Impressive! Most impressive!

Always keep improving! 'The excellency of today will be future's mediocrity.'
PT-TAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:38 AM   #12
Student pilot

Hello there !

Ground has been printed and received. The good thing is the quality is good to me and I am very happy.
The bad point is I didn't notice a big flaw on my drawing ! I will try to correct this with another printing, and if it is not good, Il will reprint the ground (cost approximatively 20 which is fair).

Another bad thing is... the real airport is changing so fast ! They changed the ground area under stand L4 & L5. I've added that quickly before printing (the light grey area, which will allow A320 to park there) but it was only a beginning as they are doing the same for stand L2 & L3and stand 5. They also removed the line for stand 9A and 14A which are not used anymore but I want to keep them, as they were used for big aircraft like Antonov 124.

They also built a small building between stand 6 and 7. I will need to add it.

Here are the updated pictures with my collection. Only aircraft really coming to Nantes are in, and at their real possible position (for example, an A321 Air France has near 0 chances to be on stand 7, I could explain why if neccessary as this is my real job there) :

Still a lot to do on the public side of the airport, several lightnings, the Beluga loading truck, a lot of GSE, barrier...
Old 03-14-2019, 09:46 AM   #13
RJ Second Officer

Slash01z is an excellent contributorSlash01z is an excellent contributorSlash01z is an excellent contributorSlash01z is an excellent contributorSlash01z is an excellent contributorSlash01z is an excellent contributorSlash01z is an excellent contributorSlash01z is an excellent contributorSlash01z is an excellent contributorSlash01z is an excellent contributorSlash01z is an excellent contributor

This looks excellent! Your terminal is wonderful! While the planes are always the stars on a layout with the 1/500 scale I really enjoy seeing the other realistic and important parts to the airport for example your large ground parking area and parking ramp. I hope you fill the entire parking area with cars!
Slash01z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:23 AM   #14
Doctor Custom

PT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobby

Pierre, I'm speechless! Simply spectacular!!

Always keep improving! 'The excellency of today will be future's mediocrity.'
PT-TAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:06 PM   #15
Admin

Great progress Pierre, and good to see more of your work on here again. I like the detail already in the ground foil, so the upgraded version should be even more realistic (and you know I love realism). Also like seeing the Volotea 717

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: