What does collect mean and which scale to collect? - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Ground Control > General Squawk Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:21 PM   #1
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
What does collect mean and which scale to collect?

Ciao to all.
Many times new collectors and new members ask which scale they have to start to collect, which is better for many reasons, which manufacturer is the best, why some good manufacturers produce just a scale and not more of them, what "collect" means, which are the various problems of the manufacturers, the positive and negative of each scale, and many other questions. I very often receive PM's about all these questions and the answers very often are linked to my sould of collectors and my feelings, and maybe not always they are objective.
For all these reasons i decided to start this thread but, you would ask, why a sticky thread? Because i know to be a great collector, but i have my opinions and my idea of collecting and of the various manufacturers; i can help the newbies with my passion, my competence and experience, but there are many other great collectors and with their competence, passion and experience can offer a different point of view, valid, useful and important as mine. So everyone can post his/her suggestions, comments and passion in this thread; i really hope there will be many good posts, useful for everyone who is starting to collect airplane models.

What collecting means.
I imagine you know me: i started to collect 1:500 models (now i have about 4500 of them), then 1:400 models (700), 1:200 military models (200) and i am a spotter (few days ago i improved my spotting capacity replacing the old Nikon D310 with a Nikon D5200, 55-300 lens).
Be a collector means money, time, frustration, anxiety, dreams coming true and dreams that die, joy and disappointment. The most important thing is having a very big passion for civil or military aviation world, because once decided to start collecting you becomes like a drug addict, you can not live without collect more and more.
The perfect collector for me? Who loves spotting, civil and military aviation world. These are the three elements making a collector in a perfect collector,
with everything that goes with it. This statement was not made to justify me and my way of being collector, but i experienced that, having the possibility (that means money...), model follows model...the rare model (see Air Hong Kong A300F 1:500), then the special model (see Alitalia B747-200 "Baci" or "Bulgari" 1:500), then the dreamed model (see TAP A319 1:400), the model existing just in the other part of the world (see Korean Air A300-600 1:500) or just as inflight (see Herpa Spanair A320). You must collect, you can pretend not to think to that model you want at all costs but it is too expensive, but you can't sleep until you will buy it! You start to collect money for this model and, finally it flies in your hands. But then the airlines changes livery and the frustration restart...
Then there is ebay, the bids, the website, Wings900: many big collectors, many people collecting airplane models, many news arriving just when you think "oh my God, i spent so much but now i hope there will not be expensive models for a while...". But collecting diecast models is also closely linked to spotting photos and airports: when you see, or better, when you make spotting photos, using photoshop you see the pics you obtained again and again and some of them are really perfect. Then you can decide to collect all the airplanes landing at your home airport (Rome FCO for me), or the airlines landing at your favourite airport (for example Salzburg or Funchal, for me), or the airlines portrayed in your best photos!
And what about military models? Many scales also for these masterpieces, a completely different world than civil aviation, perfect replicas of the most beautiful and powerful fighters and bombers.
So, passion and money; the third element is the space. When you start to have many models, if your home is not very big and you don't have one or two hobby rooms, you start to think: "oh s..t, and now where can i find the space?". Because you will soon understand that you need a lot of space, more and more space, even if this means quarrel with the wife, husbad (for the ladies) or the parents (if you still live with them). And if your passion leads you to build handmade airports, you become very good and build many airports? Better not to talk about this.

(END OF PART 1).

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2015, 03:32 PM   #2
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Re: What does collect mean and which scale to collect?

Which scale to collect?

Once you have decided to collect airplane models, you have to choose the scale. 1:200? 1:400? 1:500? Even in this case your decision will face some elements: money, space, love for the details and big objects, or love for the small objects, the case. Let me start from the last element, the case: i started to collect 1:500 simply because one day of the year 1996 i looked at a small, beautiful airplane in the showcase of a models store and i bought it. The model was a Libyan Arab Airlines B727-200, made by Herpa, 1:500 scale: from that day i started to collect 1:500 models. But, if the model was 1:400, i would have become 1:400 collector since the beginning. This is the case. Differences between scales.
1:500 is the smaller one (i am not considering 1:600 scale but it exists): this sub-world in the world of collecting is ruled by Herpa. Herpa is a German manufacturer, one of the most known and important in the world of diecast models. They produce from 12 to 16 models each two months. In the past there were many other manufacturers, mainly from the Far East (Hong Kong), like StarJets, Inflight500, Netmodels, BigBird, C&C but they all disappeared from the panorama. StarJets was important and really great, a great variety of models and airlines but, above all, a perfect realization of the moulds and liveries. StarJets represented the perfection when Herpa was still struggling to achieve a good result. Now the manufacturers you can find in the 1:500 sub-world are Herpa, Sky500, Hogan, Aero500. In the 1:500 scale a thing is sure: there are limits on which details can be printed on the model. The limits exist because the scale is small and some details of a real airplane simply can't be reproduced.
The moulds are a real mistery: a no more existing manufacturer can still have the mould, while an important manufacturer like Herpa can not being the owner of a mould, so they can't produce some models. Some molds are exchanged bewteen manufacturers, some mold are rented...I understood that having the mold of a model is very expensive, that the molds must be updated and changed. All the models are made by metal and plastic, or alloy of various metals and plastic: if i am not wrong there aren't models made entirely by metal. BigBird had some problems with its models: many of them suffered of the "zinc pest", a real decomposition of parts of the model (usually the wings and the tail section) because of a problem of the alloy of zinc, with also cracs on the fuselage. So, before to buy a BigBird model, maybe spending 100-150 euro (because some rare models are really expensive, be careful and check that all the airplane is in good conditions!).

Herpa has the largest variety of moulds and airlines: about all the existing airplanes are represented by Herpa in 1:500 scale, all the most important airlines of the world, many special and retro liveries, classics airliners, narrowbodies, widebodies, regional airplanes. This manufacturer has been fundamental for the birth of the 1:500 world, its important is out of discussion. The details in Herpa models have arrived in the last years: until few years ago Herpa models were produced without details on the wings and fuselage, while now the manufacturer is trying to update the various airplanes with even more details, making them closer to reality. About the prices of the models, i think that they are expensive for the quality they show (but i will talk of the prices later). The problems with Herpa are mainly two:
- this manufacturers strictly follows the rules of the licenses and this means that many airlines and models are not released (or, very often, deleted) because the airline doesn't allow the manufacturer to produce the model(s) of its fleet. This is good from the legal point of view, but really frustrating for the collectors because some important airlines (easyJet, for example) are not represented in 1:500;
- the quality check of the models is often not-existing and this means that too many models arrive in the stores and, then, in your hands, with missing parts, misprints, wrong liveries, flaws, mistakes. For example, if the cockpit windows are printed in the wrong position the model is a real monster (like Transaero Tu-204, for example)!

Hogan produces very few models each year, mainly airplanes for ANA and JAL: there aren't many details in these models, same quality of Herpa, but the costs are sometimes ridiculous as are high!
But, if you want JAL, ANA, Eva Air and Cathay Pacific models, you have to pay for them!

Sky500 is the real Herpa competitor. This manufacturer produces two/three models each two months (if i am not wrong), it doesn't care of the licenses and for this reason it is a loose cannon (from a positive point of view): you can't expect what they will produce simply because they don't follow the market and the licenses rules, so you will be always happy and amzed by their news. I did not imagine to have a Livingston A330-200, or one of the few A320 after the demise of StarJets and not produced by Herpa! Sky500 is an absolute good news. Of course there are some problems even with this manufaturer:
- very high costs of the models;
- sometimes there are problems with the moulds, the landing gears of some models, too shorts (B787) or too big (wheels of the A320);
- the variety of airliners produced is not so big: A320, A330-200/300, B747, B787, B777-200/300ER, MD-80.

Aero500 is another manufacturer producing models in fits and starts, mainly B777-200, B777-300ER and, in the past, DC-10. The quality is really impressive, there is a real attention to details, the costs are high but you will have a little masterpiece in your hands.
Few variety of models, very often this manufacturer re-(re)release the same model of the same airline with different registrations.

A big mistery: even more often Herpa and Sky500 produce the same airplane, of the same airline, with the same livery and, why not, with the same registration! The question is: Herpa copies Sky500 or Sky500 copies Herpa? Very hard to answer to this question because some months Herpa announces models that will be produced later in the year while Sky500, after Herpa announce, produce the same model; other months Sky500 produces a model that, later, also Herpa announces... Time will tell.

Prices of the models. Sky500, Hogan and Aero500 are expensive (around 30/35 euro, Hogan even 40 to 60 euro) but these manufacturers don't sell "completely wrong models". The details could miss, the livery could be not perfect, the nose section of some moulds could be too pointy, the wheels too big or the landing gear too short, but the model you will have in your hands will never be completely wrong. So the price will be high for a 1:500 piece of plastic and metal but the quality is good.
With Herpa we have to make a different consideration: when many of us complaints with this menaufacturer is not because the cost of its models is high, but because it is high considering the low quality of some models! Herpa prices are even 10 euro less than Sky500, Aero500 and Hogan, because they go from the 23 euro of an A321 to 35 euro for an A380. For example, a Sky500 Virgin B787-9 costs 40 euro while an Herpa British Airways B787-9 costs 30 euro! 10 euro of difference for about the same quality and the same qualtity of metal/plastic. But, while for Sky500 you are sure not to having a "monster" in your hands, with Herpa the fate and the fortune plays a big role: if you have preordered and then bought a KLM B787-9 you will have a model with the wrong titles in the port side. So, if your retailer will not take the model back, you have to spend 30 models again to obtain a corrected model (if and when Herpa produces it!). Result: 60 euro for a KLM B787-9!
So, repeating this corollary, the price of Herpa models is the lowest in the 1:500 panorama, but it is high for the low quality and the many problems of many of the models produced.

(END OF PART 2).

Charter airlines lover

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:05 PM   #3
The Dark Side

CONTINUE WHICH SCALE TO COLLECT.
1:400 is, maybe, the most convenient scale. There is a good value for money, the models are almost perfect and the cost is not so high (for the replica you will have in your hands). The manufacturers of this scale are: Hogan (not active), Herpa (very few models), Gemini Jets (USA), Phoenix (Hong Kong), JC Wings (Hong Kong), Aeroclassics (Hong Kong). All the manufacturers of this scale are about at the same level: JC Wings is the cheaper, Aeroclassics the most expensive and, in the middle, you will find Gemini and Phoenix. Herpa produced some wonderful models but now they seem to have abandoned the scale. Hogan has produced some models, now disappeared from the panorama. Of course there are differences among manufacturers, but they are about details and you can be sure you will never find big flaws as 1:500 scale and Herpa. The quality is almost perfect, the moulds are beautiful and, the most important thing, if there is a new airline or airplane or livery someone will produce it! You will not wait years for your most wanted model. Of course there are exceptions, some models are not yet produced, but the "frustration of the lack" is less than 1:500 scale. Thsi especially because in 1:400 scale there are four active manufacturers (Aeroclassics, Gemini, JC Wings and Phoenix), the competition is high, the models are produced twice or, sometimes, three times by the different manufacturers. If you lose one or if you prefer one manufacturer rather than the other, be sure you will receive your model. The price goes from 29 euro for a narrowbody to 40 euro for a widebody, according to the manufacturer. Aeroclassics is the most expensive but produces wonderful models from the Far East but also from Europe: Gemini Jets produces especially models of USA airlines, JC Wings and Phoenix airlines from the Far East. But all the world is covered, all the airlines and liveries are produced, the 1:400 world represent the real perfection for a collector: the models are masterpieces, all the details are represented (because of the bigger scale respect 1:500), when you buy a 1:400 model you will receive a perfect replica of the 1:1 airplane.

1:200 scale: i haven't experience about civil airplanes because i don't collect them in this scale, but i collect 1:200 military models. For those interested, the military models in this scale are perfect, really beautiful and perfectly done, even in the small details. Bombers, fighters and military cargo are monsters of beauty.
About the civil airplanes, i can only tell you that the perfection is absolute, the details are perfect and the price is...very expensive! About 1:200 i hope someone more versed than me will explain this world.

Charter airlines lover

Old 12-12-2015, 03:14 PM   #4
The Dark Side

Space. The space is a big problem for a professional collector. 1:500 scale was the best until Herpa, few years ago, decided to use different boxes. Herpa has used 4 boxes in different size since the beginning:
- small box -> airplanes like the A320 and the B737-300
- medium box -> airplines like the B757 size
- big box -> airplanes like B767 and A300 size
- very big box -> airplanes like B747 and A330 size.
Small and medium boxes were the majority and the space necessary wasn't so much; then Herpa decided to use medium boxes also for the A320, CRJ, RJ, ATR, etc., the small boxes disappeared and everything changed. The space needed is more.
1:400 scale is even worse: often airplanes like the CRJ-900 are in boxes useful for a B757-200! Of course the scale is bigger and the boxes too, but also here the manufacturers use too big bozes even for small airplanes. And i don't understand why! A lot of space is needed for the 1:400 collectors!
1:200: the biggest scale needs of the biggest boxes: add a new room to your house!!
If you decide to collect 1:500, 1:400 and, why not, 1:200 models (civil or military airplanes) my suggest is to buy a new home!

Charter airlines lover

Old 12-14-2015, 06:42 AM   #5
The Dark Side

So, which scale to collect? This is the real question, and i will tell you my personal answer.
I started to collect 1:500 models because of the case, and Herpa/1:500 was my first love. Like all the first loves you can't forget, even after many, many years. I loved Herpa models even when they were Old Generation, even when the nose section of the B767 was more similar to a truck than an airplane (remember the Ansett B767-200, for example); i remember how happy i was when Herpa released the first foru British Airways B747-400's World Tails (without registrations and in OG) or the first four Alitalia models (B747-200, MD-80, A321, MD-11), rubbish respect the models produced today, but pieces of my soul of collector for me! Then Herpa disappointed me in many ways: flaws, mistakes, missing parts, cancellations of important models, no quality checks, a kind of "betrayal" in the relationship between manifacturer and client and, like all the betrayals, when a vessel is broken you can glue the pieces but it remains broken! I continue to love my 1:500 models and my 1:500 collection, but i tell you a thing i have understood during the years:
- collecting 1:500 models you get to a point where you need to collect also 1:400 models, or where you switch to the Dark Side, because you need of some missing airplanes, liveries, airlines (like easyjet, or Ryanair, or Monarch, or Air china etc. etc.), because you ask for more quality, attention to details, perfection for the price you pay for the model you will have in the hands.
- Collecting 1:400 you don't need of 1:500 models, you start and finish with the 1:400 scale. The quality is almost perfect, many manufacturers, current airlines and liveries, you pay for something that will not disappoint you!
So, even if i will continue to collect 1:500 loving it, my suggestion is...collect 1:400 airplanes.

Charter airlines lover

Old 12-14-2015, 12:02 PM   #6
#covfefe!

Vic Diesel is a top dogVic Diesel is a top dogVic Diesel is a top dogVic Diesel is a top dogVic Diesel is a top dogVic Diesel is a top dogVic Diesel is a top dogVic Diesel is a top dogVic Diesel is a top dogVic Diesel is a top dogVic Diesel is a top dog

I loved this series of posts - until the last one, which then ruined the style of this otherwise rather objective and matter-of-fact thread. The last post is full of disappointment and very personal views - which are OK, everyone should have an opinion. But you should never confuse personal opinion with "professional advice". Your series of posts is remarkable and very helpful for the beginner - the last part of the posting is not.

"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things..."
— Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Vic Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:19 PM   #7
The Dark Side

Thanks for the comment Vic.
In my last post i assumed that it was "my personal answer" that is my personal opinion, after many years of collecting 1:400 and 1:500. It is my consideration about what is the best for quality, money for value, pleasure for the eyes.
I continue to think that collecting 1:500 you need to collect also 1:400 (like many professional 1:500 collectors started to do), while collecting 1:400 is a good way to be completely satisfied.
But, i repeat, this is the only answer possible for me, a great 1:500 collector who started, for necessity, to buy also 1:400 models.

Charter airlines lover

Old 12-17-2015, 05:19 PM   #8
The Dark Side

At the end, suggestions or not, you will collect what your heart tells you to collect!

Charter airlines lover

Old 07-08-2019, 01:15 PM   #9
RJ Second Officer

Smooky is appreciatedSmooky is appreciatedSmooky is appreciatedSmooky is appreciatedSmooky is appreciatedSmooky is appreciatedSmooky is appreciated

We can not find more precise so it's explicit. I started collecting 1/500 scale thinking i would find all companies i need but thanks to "Doctor Custom", i can get my needs
The saddest part of the story is...when you start a scale, you must think a lot before moving to bigger.
That's my point of view ^^
Smooky is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: