Starting a Model Airplane Collection - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Ground Control > General Squawk Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-04-2015, 05:27 AM   #1
Earning My Wings

RedFive is flying under the radar
Lightbulb Starting a Model Airplane Collection

Hi there!

I'm new to this forum and I've tried searching for different (recent) posts on starting a collection of model airplanes.

Unfortunately, I didn't find much that discuss the basics of our hobby. I would really be interested to get on it and give it a go because I love airplanes as much as you all do!

So here I am writing on this thread. Maybe some tips for the neophyte collector who's had little to no experience in the hobby and would like to learn more. Any "SOPs" or "basics" to start with? I have a few models but these were bought straight out souvenir shops and I guess I wouldn't consider them to be of the same grade as those on this forum.

I've also learned about the different scales of the models mainly from 1:200, 1:400, and 1:500 to be the most popular among hobbyists. What would you have to say on these scales? Which scale has the most variety? Which manufacturer should I opt to get from?

Feel free to add/expound if I missed out on anything. I hope you guys could help a buddy out!
RedFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2015, 07:23 AM   #2
RJ First Officer

fly_yhm is getting startedfly_yhm is getting startedfly_yhm is getting startedfly_yhm is getting startedfly_yhm is getting started
Re: Starting a Model Airplane Collection

all I would say is about the scales its I think 1:400 its best. 1:500 I feel aren't quite detailed enough and 1:200 are very expensive although the detail is usually amazing. also If plan to ever build a model airport to do it in 1:200 would be tricky unless you had a very large house.

just my opinions.
fly_yhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:13 AM   #3
#covfefe!

Vic Diesel is a top dogVic Diesel is a top dogVic Diesel is a top dogVic Diesel is a top dogVic Diesel is a top dogVic Diesel is a top dogVic Diesel is a top dogVic Diesel is a top dogVic Diesel is a top dogVic Diesel is a top dogVic Diesel is a top dog

The question 1:200, 1:400 or 1:500 is sometimes answered in a temper so hot that one would think it was rather "Jewish, Christian or Muslim?" (PLEASE don't start a religious discussion, thank you very much).

1:200 is clearly the scale where you get the most details on the models. There is a variety of brands to buy from, all pretty expensive. And you'll also have to consider the space you need for displaying your models (or even storing them in a closet).

1:400 is pretty nicely detailed, there is also a nice variety of manufacturers you can buy from. However, the models are still expensive.

1:500 models are not that detailed like their bigger "cousins". But they are the cheapest scale to collect and also the one where you can put your models on display very easy. There are a couple of manufacturers, by far the biggest of them being Herpa (Germany), producing all kinds of liveries, with the exception of Far-East airlines, which are produced by Hogan. There are also smaller brands like Aero500, Sky500, Starjets (Schuco) etc., who sometimes produce better quality than scale-leader Herpa - but you must be aware that those models are usually more expensive. There is also a decent variety of airport buildings and accessories for the 1:500 scale, so building your own airport to put your models on display should be pretty easy.

When I started collecting, I saw that tiny little DHC-8 model in 1:500 I found it so nice I had to buy it. It was 1:500 (and that's the one you can collect in Europe fairly easy without having to depend on Internet sources) - so my slowly growing collection is 1:500.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to consider first which airlines or types of aircraft you are interested in, prior to collecting.

So, to sum it up, IMHO there are some factors you could consider:
- availability of scale in your country (yes, there ARE internet sources, but still...)
- availability of desired airlines/aircraft in a scale
- costs
- space needed for display
- simply storing or displaying in a diorama (thus needing buildings, accessories and vehicles)

Just my two cents. But the most important thing collecting model aircraft: HAVE FUN DOING IT!

"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things..."
— Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Vic Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2015, 01:59 PM   #4
Master ATP Captain

vince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobby

It's the same as collecting anything,collect what you like and don't do it as an investment....I've got a few 1:500 that i couldn't find in 1:400,in 1:400 it's mainly 747's and L-1011's (plus a few Tridents and BAC-111's) and 1:200 it has to be something special....

1939 - 2011
vince1159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 04:09 PM   #5
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Ciao and welcome to Wings900 family.
Your answer, and many answers like your, gave me the occasion to post a thread where you can find some good hints. Here there are my comments and suggestions of 20 years of collecting 1:400, 1:400 and 1:200 models, of course there are many other big collectors that could have different opinions, tastes and that could give you different suggestions.
Happy collecting and...choose good!

What does collect mean and which scale to collect?

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner, collection, novice, starting

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: