Petition to bring back the previous owners - Please Read - Page 7 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Ground Control > General Squawk Talk

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-27-2014, 02:33 PM   #91
banned

Flight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributor
Re: Petition to bring back the previous owners - Please Read

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Capitan View Post
I stand corrected. Did you sell the site to Martingale marketing communications basically an ad agency?
No they were not an ad agency. They were going to work to build Toycollector.com and build ToyPedia a database of every toy created - then the sites they purchased would be under that umbrella of a large database and the individual sites would remain as they were to keep the communities. Martingale spawned off HobbyAdSales which i'm not sure who runs now, that was to sell ads on the sites they purchased. That came a few years after we sold the sites to them.

Ironically now: "hobbyDB is building a catalog of every collectible ever made, from diecast cars to electric guitars, teddy bears to Eames chairs."

They tried with ToyCollector.com/Toypedia, it failed.. they burned investors in the UK, now they are off to burn investors in the USA...
I have their powerpoint presentations and all sorts of marketing junk from when we first joined.. its the same damn show all over again, led by the same person.

Look at their BS history on their home page: http://www.hobbydb.com/

2010 - ToyCollector, the social networking site for collectors, launches with ToyPedia, the net’s first attempt at cataloging every collectible toy ever made!
TOYCOLLECTOR.com doesn't exist, its gone.. no one cares, ToyPedia never launched!

2013 - We build the world’s largest network of collector forums, covering everything from model trains to action figures to slot cars and beyond!
They were never ever networked or connected, they just bought bunches of forums, domains and had to sell when they ran out of money

2014 -The first hobbyDB prototype is launched, using model planes to test interfaces and ideas, but with the intention of covering every collectible ever made!
A complete failure that everyone hated. 'nuff said

Last edited by Flight Director; 07-27-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2014, 02:35 PM   #92
Wings900 Team Member

mmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Capitan View Post
I stand corrected. Did you sell the site to Martingale marketing communications basically an ad agency?
Can you please try not to make this discussion go full circle again? It was stated several times now that promises were made but not kept... naif or not, the situation is what it is and I for one appreciate Flight Director's attempts to fix it.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:48 PM   #93
JeffinM***

cameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributor

Bottom Line! Bottom Line! Bottom Line! That's all the new owners care about! That's why they bought it! To make money and that's all it seems they want to do. It would be nice if someone with a passion for the hobby could buy them out! Bottom Line! They would sell if they could make money! It's all about the Bottom Line! to them and it's clearly not about us! To beleaguer this point is like killing a fly and then want to shoot it! NOTHING IS GOING TO CHANGE UNLESS THERE IS SOME MIRACLE! Understand that. Get over it and pray that someone with a passion will come in. Sorry for the reality folks! Please make it perfectly clear to yourselves that I am bothered by it too!

Last edited by cameraman1031; 07-27-2014 at 02:49 PM. Reason: sp

Old 07-27-2014, 02:58 PM   #94
banned

El_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmu69 View Post
Can you please try not to make this discussion go full circle again? It was stated several times now that promises were made but not kept... naif or not, the situation is what it is and I for one appreciate Flight Director's attempts to fix it.
Fair enough.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:32 PM   #95
Red Eagles!

Flight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobby

Well, one more Scale600 signature added. Still nothing on the DAC front?
Old 07-27-2014, 05:54 PM   #96
banned

El_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight fan View Post
Well, one more Scale600 signature added. Still nothing on the DAC front?
So are you going to bring back all three previous owners or just Todd with your petition effort?
Old 07-27-2014, 05:58 PM   #97
Red Eagles!

Flight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobby

Hopefully all three, but why ask me? I didn't start the petition, i just support it.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:21 PM   #98
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraman1031 View Post
Bottom Line! Bottom Line! Bottom Line! That's all the new owners care about! That's why they bought it! To make money and that's all it seems they want to do. It would be nice if someone with a passion for the hobby could buy them out! Bottom Line! They would sell if they could make money! It's all about the Bottom Line! to them and it's clearly not about us! To beleaguer this point is like killing a fly and then want to shoot it! NOTHING IS GOING TO CHANGE UNLESS THERE IS SOME MIRACLE! Understand that. Get over it and pray that someone with a passion will come in. Sorry for the reality folks! Please make it perfectly clear to yourselves that I am bothered by it too!
I couldn't agree more,that train has already left the station. It's pretty childish to think a petition and a thread with one of the previous owners and a few members disparaging the current owners will change that.

Another childish way would be to threaten the new owners that 30 or so members would boycott the site if the current owners dont sell the site back to one of the previous owners.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:03 PM   #99
Як-40 Капитан

LOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobby

Well, I'm happy to see Todd's input. Todd, I wish you and Jim luck on being able to get the site back. The years of 2008-2011 were quite a period that I suppose can be called "Pax Wings900". Members got along quite well (as they do now), but the admin was there too, and took care of any issues that needed to be addressed.

Now thinking, I'm certainly curious about the details that went on from the transition. I remember they kept the membership change under close wraps until around December of that year, though I think around that time, a bunch of Mods and DB people also mysteriously resigned (some publicly too). The whole story of what happened, and even how Jim and Todd sold their share in W900 is turning out to be quite an interesting story, and much more deeper than has publicly been announced. I wouldn't be surprised at some point between 2010 and 2014, lawyers may have been involved outside the acquisition stage. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if any were involved now or getting ready to!

Lou, you should calm down. I don't think that Todd means to take any jabs at you personally. As someone who has been a member for so many years around these parts (hell, during my teenage years, this was a sanctuary for me!), I wouldn't mind vouching for you to be part of the DB team if Todd and Jim get control of the site once again. Your dedication to the DB has been much welcomed.

I gotta say, if reverting back to the 2008-2010 form of ownership helps make things better, I am then for it! It would be nice to have a profile again that can be accessed (not to mention, the owners of the last 3-4 years keep feeding us bull on how it is going to be fixed as it is being looked at right now...)

Anyways, El_cap is right guys. Generally, speaking, petitions are not really all that effective. I mean, think about it, how many petitions have to be online. Bring back Crystal Pepsi, Un-Cancel Firefly, Stop Making Simpsons Episodes, Bring Back the Widget paint scheme for reals, Save the Whales, Save those snails, tell us to get in the plane not on it, jail all the oil execs, ect.. These are all petitions I would expect to be quite popular, and likely have hundreds of thousands, if not millions of signatures. I will say, a petition is useful for one thing, and that is to voice your disapproval at something a little louder.

I will be honest, a couple then active members and I did stage our own little boycott of W900 back in 2008 during the airflorid54 incident, to show our displeasure at how the situation was being handed by the 3rd owner (who blamed the regulars for all the trouble there, and telling us how much he hated owning W900, to which I recommended he sell his share in a thread) and to show that without someone watching over things (as W900 was essentially unmoderated then unless thing spilled too out of control, no Rep system, no regular mods until October of that year). Within a month, people not only had enough of the issue at hand (those Politically correct even had their fuses burnt out), but I do recall some people even PMing and emailing us as to where we were, and some even begging us to come back. Perhaps if the regulars who have truly had enough of the current owners are really such that, perhaps they should give this a try and see how well it works. Maybe action might be taken, not a return of Todd or Jim persay, but perhaps listening to their users to fix certain issues (if they can at this point, Todd seems to know how to fix the problems from what I read here.)

Quote:
You need to seriously grow up... I know you love attention but you're being ridiculous now. There's probably 30 "vets" still around. What you don't get. The "new" owners ran a lot of people off. A lot of good people. A lot of veterans to the site. This isn't just some small issue anybody can fix. It's a big problem. This site will never run like it did before those monkeys came in to "fix" it.
I'll tell you, the regulars now were not the regulars when I started, nor were they the regulars during the super peaceful years of 2008-2011 for the large part. But I will say this, it wasn't the owners that drove the people off alone. Some were run off the by the 3rd owner's (the one who ran it from 2002-2008 with Jim and Todd) abusive attitude towards them (this alone caused a HUGE exodus at DA.C actually, actually the fact that some of you guys are saying "Go to DiMA" either have some insanely short memories, or were not around in those dark days of his last 2 years as site owner), some did because they didn't want to be in the hobby anymore, others just got too caught up in life and are taking a break from the hobby and W900. I still keep in touch with few regulars from those days, and it is more of the prices being too unreasonable for us (I wonder if some of you read my responses like I'm on Crack or something when I tell you about the days when a brand new GJ 747 cost ~22-25 bucks back then, compared to the 35-50 now), and others just not feeling the hobby like they used to (nothing wrong with that, we all move onto new things sometimes.)

Quote:
Sooo whats wrong with the current owners?
Boy, they don't teach Logical Thinking anymore in Middle School, do they. Anyways, for the tip of the ice berg, why not try viewing my profile and then read the threads here and on DAC about problems people have been having (or have you not noticed also that a pop-up add started showing up too)...

Then you'll see that I've been elevated to the status of a Non-Person, though if you think about it, since I can still post here, I guess it's suggesting that people like Ben and I have been elevated to the status of an awesome Non-Corporeal Life form. That's some awesome Star Trek **** right there I'll tell you what! Ben, we're ****in' Qs yo!

Last edited by LOT 737-300; 07-27-2014 at 11:55 PM. Reason: More to add, needed to clairify
Old 07-28-2014, 03:46 AM   #100
Senior Captain

Speedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobby

I have ad block plus so pop ups dont effect me. The reason I have not noticed anything was because I mostly read threads in the 1:400 scale forums and Model airport forums.
Oh and by the way, it says you don't have a profile...(yes I know that's what you were trying to tell me I am kind of a sarcastic person)
Old 07-28-2014, 04:11 AM   #101
Senior Captain

Speedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobby

I think I will sign. I have not noticed much but you guys have and I think I should do you a favor. For muslims tomorrow is eid and well...consider this my gift for you

Last edited by Speedbird 48; 07-28-2014 at 04:24 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:43 PM   #102
Senior Captain

OK guys. Last night I checked the forum on my moms phone when I noticed this: W900 does not work on phones because of pop ups!
Old 07-28-2014, 01:54 PM   #103
Förum King

MYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobby

Yes it does, I post from my phone all the time.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:59 PM   #104
Sympathy for the devil 😈

Wingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobby

Indeed, it´s working. Both with Apple, Android and Blackberry...

My collection: http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/...usselsairlines
Old 07-28-2014, 02:38 PM   #105
Як-40 Капитан

LOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobby

Works on my Android equipped S4 phone as well.

The popups can get in the way though.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: