Petition to bring back the previous owners - Please Read - Page 6 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Ground Control > General Squawk Talk

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-26-2014, 11:46 AM   #76
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Re: Petition to bring back the previous owners - Please Read

Lou i understand you are a great man and you have a great heart. But you're a volunteer because you want to do it, because of your passion and not because someone obliged you. When a job becomes impossible to do i think that the help of those gaining money thanks to your job and thanks to our passion is needed.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2014, 03:08 PM   #77
Red Eagles!

Flight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Director View Post
Did you make a post on DAC?
No, actually, i've been unable to get in on the site for some time.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:47 PM   #78
Förum King

MYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by make.me.laugh View Post
Can you tell me even one member who does NOT benefit from my Input to the database?
Me.

10/char

Old 07-26-2014, 04:22 PM   #79
Wings900 Team Member

make.me.laugh is an excellent contributormake.me.laugh is an excellent contributormake.me.laugh is an excellent contributormake.me.laugh is an excellent contributormake.me.laugh is an excellent contributormake.me.laugh is an excellent contributormake.me.laugh is an excellent contributormake.me.laugh is an excellent contributormake.me.laugh is an excellent contributormake.me.laugh is an excellent contributormake.me.laugh is an excellent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYT DC-10 View Post
Me.

G'day...

Oooo thankyou <3 MYT DC-10 <3 I care for you too... LOL

Lou ...with kisses and hugs... in a non-sexual, non weird way I should add, like a brother...
Old 07-27-2014, 12:53 AM   #80
banned

El_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dog

Thanks Lou, mmu69 just to name a few for what you do for this site.

It is greatly appreciated!
Old 07-27-2014, 10:32 AM   #81
banned

Flight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by make.me.laugh View Post
G'day Flight Director,

Fine... I will take you up on your offer... teach me how to fix the database and associated problems. I'm happy to do the hard yards and talk to Christian and company and get inside the database and programmes. But.. I will need your help to teach me how and what to do.

In case you say "NO"... remember you have stated (even in this very thread) that no-one from the current company has ever asked you... Well... I'm asking. I don't even represent the "company" I'm just a volunteer who cares deeply for this organisation and will do anything to help our members. Will you share that information with me...?
Lou, It is not about teaching someone, in fact if you are not proficient with navigating around a linux system via command line, HTML and PHP code, there is no point to teaching you. With out administrative access to the server you will never be able to fix the problems. they lie in the code and aren't something that can be done from any web browser.

Yes you are asking, but you do not represent HobbyDB or MasMedia in any formal sense. If they'd like to entertain options of turning this site back over to the original owners so we can make it what it was, then we will talk. HobbyDB had their chances over nearly 3 years to figure out how these site worked, the never did, showing they don't give a care in the world. Why should I help them? I will help when this site is away from those who tore it to pieces.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:34 AM   #82
banned

El_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dog

Quote:
Lou, It is not about teaching someone, in fact if you are not proficient with navigating around a linux system via command line, HTML and PHP code, there is no point to teaching you. With out administrative access to the server you will never be able to fix the problems. they lie in the code and aren't something that can be done from any web browser.

Yes you are asking, but you do not represent HobbyDB or MasMedia in any formal sense. If they'd like to entertain options of turning this site back over to the original owners so we can make it what it was, then we will talk. HobbyDB had their chances over nearly 3 years to figure out how these site worked, the never did, showing they don't give a care in the world. Why should I help them? I will help when this site is away from those who tore it to pieces.
Just curious, why did you guys sell the site to those who tore it to pieces then?

Wasnt a bit naive on your part to think a big media co. Would run a forum with the same passion of the original owners, I mean they're not altruists?

Also you mentioned that they sold you a bag of goods, shouldn't you share some responsibility for the site demise since you were so gullible or maybe you were blinded by the money?

You dont have to be really sophisticated to know unless they put all the promises in writing, in a contract, they dont mean much, the new owners can change their mind on how to run things since they acquired the site fair and square.

It's like if you sell beautiful land to a big developer, then wonder why they built apartment buildings on it instead of preserving its pristine beauty.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:39 PM   #83
banned

Flight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Capitan View Post
Just curious, why did you guys sell the site to those who tore it to pieces then?

Wasnt a bit naive on your part to think a big media co. Would run a forum with the same passion of the original owners, I mean they're not altruists?

Also you mentioned that they sold you a bag of goods, shouldn't you share some responsibility for the site demise since you were so gullible or maybe you were blinded by the money?

You dont have to be really sophisticated to know unless they put all the promises in writing, in a contract, they dont mean much, the new owners can change their mind on how to run things since they acquired the site fair and square.

It's like if you sell beautiful land to a big developer, then wonder why they built apartment buildings on it instead of preserving its pristine beauty.
First we were not blinded by the money, the total amount after split three ways and the extra work we did for the buyers does make us look twice about selling it.

We were presented a grand vision, above anything that we could have done at the time by our skills or knowledge at the time. Yes there were glossy powerpoint presentations, but in the center of it was our ability to stay and help work with you the users and the community. Hence the idea that the community and small town sense would stay as would all the admins.

We weren't sold a bag of goods, we were sold lies and promises that in the end, as we found out too late, they couldn't keep their promises and that they had no idea what they were doing. A brand new system they wrote performed 10-20x slower than what had been running on Wings and DAC for years. They were clueless from the development front and despite my guidance they continued to flounder, walking around aimlessly trying to code solutions that never worked. They tried three or four formats before things just got ugly.

Don't think for once there wasn't a contract. I won't spill out the contents but we had things spelled out, including the airline logos.

We stressed from the beginning that the community was important and they needed to work to keep the distinction between W9/DAC and Scale600. We were told they were buying us for the database and collection software, something they hadn't seen before and wanted to expand it out to other products. We cautioned Martingale, told them that the software was written to do one thing: Collect Diecast Aircraft, and it would NOT scale to other hobbies/products.

Almost immediately after the sale Martingale installed auctions, skimlinks, forum plugins, and other monetizing schemes to all sites it purchased. This started to slow down the sites, cause compatibility issues, etc. Not surprisingly, all those methods of making money failed - Despite us telling them time and time again that we tried auctions (does anyone remember the auctions on Wings900? yes we did have them!) and other items way back when. We continually reminded them that the sites were over 10 years old and were the way they were for a reason - THEY WORKED. Everything that was tried in the past didn’t work well with the users, so what was there was the best products/services that you could offer to the communities. Despite that, no one listened and no one learned how the sites worked, we were still asking for someone to do that....no reply.

Eventually they burned through all their money, let investors off the board, changed their name 3-4 times, fired the advertising teams and we got 5 days notice that the sites were being sold to MasMedia.

We tried hard to buy back w900/dac/s600 - We offered continued revenue, coding services, cash, a copy of all airline logos, whatever we could do to sweeten the pot. We wrote emails to one of the main investors/chairman of the board; he didn’t want to budge; he had faith in his team that they were leading him correctly and ironically was disbanded from the board and the company a few short months later as HobbyDB closed up shop in the UK. I recently reached out to him and said he had cut ties and was "done with HobbyDB".

We even contacted the buyer (MasMedia) and tried to broker a deal with them to let us continue to run the sites or buy them back over time. Nothing..

Do i regret selling? absolutely I do, is it my fault that they screwed it up? No, I didn't run the company and if they had listened to the previous owners from the start you guys wouldn't be in this mess in the first place.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:53 PM   #84
Wings900 Team Member

mmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Thanks Lou, mmu69 just to name a few for what you do for this site.

It is greatly appreciated!
Thank you.

Since the new owners took over and it looked like they were running the site into the ground, I have refused to upload any photos: my own or anyone else's (except manufacturers'). For me, the most important symptom (among others) was not being able to edit photo credits.

Of course, that's just another piece in the puzzle.

Todd, many thanks for all the clarifications you gave recently.

I will not add any models to the database until this is resolved. Hope this helps.

Let's hope we can get the band back together ;-)
Old 07-27-2014, 01:55 PM   #85
banned

Quote:
First we were not blinded by the money, the total amount after split three ways and the extra work we did for the buyers does make us look twice about selling it.

We were presented a grand vision, above anything that we could have done at the time by our skills or knowledge at the time. Yes there were glossy powerpoint presentations, but in the center of it was our ability to stay and help work with you the users and the community. Hence the idea that the community and small town sense would stay as would all the admins.

We weren't sold a bag of goods, we were sold lies and promises that in the end, as we found out too late, they couldn't keep their promises and that they had no idea what they were doing. A brand new system they wrote performed 10-20x slower than what had been running on Wings and DAC for years. They were clueless from the development front and despite my guidance they continued to flounder, walking around aimlessly trying to code solutions that never worked. They tried three or four formats before things just got ugly.

Don't think for once there wasn't a contract. I won't spill out the contents but we had things spelled out, including the airline logos.

We stressed from the beginning that the community was important and they needed to work to keep the distinction between W9/DAC and Scale600. We were told they were buying us for the database and collection software, something they hadn't seen before and wanted to expand it out to other products. We cautioned Martingale, told them that the software was written to do one thing: Collect Diecast Aircraft, and it would NOT scale to other hobbies/products.

Almost immediately after the sale Martingale installed auctions, skimlinks, forum plugins, and other monetizing schemes to all sites it purchased. This started to slow down the sites, cause compatibility issues, etc. Not surprisingly, all those methods of making money failed - Despite us telling them time and time again that we tried auctions (does anyone remember the auctions on Wings900? yes we did have them!) and other items way back when. We continually reminded them that the sites were over 10 years old and were the way they were for a reason - THEY WORKED. Everything that was tried in the past didn’t work well with the users, so what was there was the best products/services that you could offer to the communities. Despite that, no one listened and no one learned how the sites worked, we were still asking for someone to do that....no reply.

Eventually they burned through all their money, let investors off the board, changed their name 3-4 times, fired the advertising teams and we got 5 days notice that the sites were being sold to MasMedia.

We tried hard to buy back w900/dac/s600 - We offered continued revenue, coding services, cash, a copy of all airline logos, whatever we could do to sweeten the pot. We wrote emails to one of the main investors/chairman of the board; he didn’t want to budge; he had faith in his team that they were leading him correctly and ironically was disbanded from the board and the company a few short months later as HobbyDB closed up shop in the UK. I recently reached out to him and said he had cut ties and was "done with HobbyDB".

We even contacted the buyer (MasMedia) and tried to broker a deal with them to let us continue to run the sites or buy them back over time. Nothing..

Do i regret selling? absolutely I do, is it my fault that they screwed it up? No, I didn't run the company and if they had listened to the previous owners from the start you guys wouldn't be in this mess in the first place.
The mess the site is in, is the direct result of your decision to sell it.

I guess you didnt know you sold the site to basically an internet ad agency when you took their money.

Last edited by El_Capitan; 07-27-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:58 PM   #86
Senior Captain

Speedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobby

Sooo whats wrong with the current owners?
Old 07-27-2014, 01:59 PM   #87
Earning My Wings

RogerMc is flying under the radar

Thanks everyone for the clarification and contributions over the years. W900 was a FANTASTIC resource because of the members.

Seems like the logical solution (for me) is to avoid the site, and deprive the current owner of ad revenue. They will lose interest.

Perhaps once W900 dies, it can be resurrected. Of course this might take years.

Build a site as good as W900 and people WILL be back.

Last edited by RogerMc; 07-27-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:00 PM   #88
Sympathy for the devil 😈

Wingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird 48 View Post
Sooo whats wrong with the current owners?
Are you serious?

My collection: http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/...usselsairlines
Old 07-27-2014, 02:02 PM   #89
banned

Quote:
The mess the site is in, is the direct result of your decision to sell it to MasMedia.

I guess you didnt know MasMedia is a marketing firm, basically an internet ad agency when you took their money.
WE DIDN"T SELL TO MAS MEDIA!

We sold to Martigale which became HobbyDB. They then sold the forums and the domain names to MasMedia. They kept the DB and the collection software for themselves..
Old 07-27-2014, 02:26 PM   #90
banned

Quote:
WE DIDN"T SELL TO MAS MEDIA!

We sold to Martigale which became HobbyDB. They then sold the forums and the domain names to MasMedia. They kept the DB and the collection software for themselves..
I stand corrected. Did you sell the site to Martingale marketing communications basically an ad agency?
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: