Petition to bring back the previous owners - Please Read - Page 4 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Ground Control > General Squawk Talk

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-25-2014, 05:15 AM   #46
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Re: Petition to bring back the previous owners - Please Read

Flight Director, thanks so much for the answers and for your patience.
Positive rep. added to you. Thanks again.
I can say that, with all my respect for all the airplane models/collecting sites all around, Wings900 remains the best and there are no alternatives to it. But in the last times it has hit rock bottom, we're looking at the Titanic shiopwreck because we really sunk! This beautiful site is still alive just thanks to the members, especially to some members.
Take me for a madman, self-centered and conceited, but after so many years i feel i have responsibility towards Wings900. Often i do not want to connect because there are always the same people posting or saying the same things and quarreling for the same stupid arguments, but then i realize that if i do not post tons of photos especially in the 1:500 section the site seems to agonize and it doesn't die thanks to few other members. Few of us have our own autonomy or the strenght and the courage to share our passion. Very sad.
But why this? Don't tell me that it is because the forum is full of stupid kids...almost all the members of Wings900 are great collectors/spotters and airport makers full of passion for their hobbies. Many important members and collectors don't participate to the forum's life for three main reasons:
1) their personal needs and real-life problems (this is just an hobby);
2) the presence of some clowns and members ready to make everything ridiculous and write posts to light the fire and fighting (luckily they are few) and, honestly, they have tired. Maybe they should understand that a polite sarcasm is a thing, but the right to say everything to everyone is not permit; so until they will not change their boring attitude i think that many polite collectors and members will not return.
(Please consider that my is a general speech, there are non aka's and no names, and i really do not refer to anyone in particular!);
3) maybe the most important reason, the many problems of the site, especially with the new ownership! I remember the Wings900 of 5 years ago: the Bible of collecting! Now it is just "one of the many sites", maybe still the most important, but much worse due to the neglect and lack of passion.
If, after all this time, you can not solve some easily solvable problems (airlines logo, profiles, community update, etc.) it means that you do not want and then you do not deserve our help and our passion.

And about the fact thet the current owners don't care about the site and they want just gain money...i wonder the current value of Wings900, i'm sure its value is greatly diminished since they have allowed it to go adrift.
So, in my opinion, if the site will continue to sink reaching the Mariana Trench, then all together we must decide what to do, especially those more active in Wings900 forum: change website? Create a new website? Don't connect to Wings900 for a while?

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2014, 10:13 AM   #47
banned

El_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dog

People are strange...the previous owners sold out, cashed out, abandoned ship, lost interest, those are the same people you want back?

I really think the current owners are doing a great job keeping the site to its original form as far as I'm concerned.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:19 AM   #48
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Capitan View Post
People are strange...the previous owners sold out, cashed out, abandoned ship, lost interest, those are the same people you want back?

I really think the current owners are doing a great job keeping the site to its original form as far as I'm concerned.
Just to really understand the situation, because perhaps i'm not able, do you really think that the site is better now then before? I already said that i met one of the previous owners in Dusseldorf and he was invited to join many of the members of his site for a dinner, a nice moment to know each other in person, and i remember he told us...nothing...we waited for a "oh yes, it would be a pleasure" or "no, because i don't like you"...nothing. I also already said that i don't care who is the owner(s) but the site must work well. Before there were profiles for each member and the were the airlines logos, just to update the community list; now the ship is sank (as you correctly said) but with much more missing things than before and with many less members participating to the forum's life.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!

Old 07-25-2014, 11:46 AM   #49
banned

Flight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributor

Quote:
Incorrect

We were approached about selling the sites to Martingale Internet Technologies, owner/developer of a new site called ToyCollector.com - They had millions of dollars in investors, toy companies were going to back them, full offices, and available cash and developers to get it all done. The original vision was a good one; and it was beyond the reach of what we could do with our at the time with our expertise, monetary funds, and level of desire at the time.

Martingale is now HobbyDB - and they did 0 of their promises.

Quote:

What planet are you living on? half the features are broken, hidden, turned off and the database is a disaster of errors and omissions..

Old 07-25-2014, 11:50 AM   #50
Just give me wings!

ALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobby

My 2 cents...

Don't be romantic fools.

This site has been bought by an ad selling money making company. They will never make drastic changes or big improvements.

The old owners started something good but trust me after almost 20 years at it, the passion is not really all that there. Except for one who owns a store and wants the monopoly of promoting his store on all forums.
An Unhealthy market if you ask me.

Yes the DB "sucks" here and maybe the new one will take ages to come. Or maybe not.
Keep things simple:

1) take advantage of the DiMA database for collecton management
2) keep your buddies in here to chat for wings ****s n gigles.

If you al wander into DiMA there will be a melting pot of users...
Kinda like Flight director claims.. that it never works all in one.

Else they would have merged DAc wings and scale a looong time ago.
DAC users won't like the wings900 users and vice verca.

My 3 lines of wisdom.
KEEP CALM
CHAT SHARE here
and use DiMA just for DB

Time will tell n...
God Speed
Old 07-25-2014, 12:09 PM   #51
banned

El_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dogEl_Capitan is a top dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
Just to really understand the situation, because perhaps i'm not able, do you really think that the site is better now then before? I already said that i met one of the previous owners in Dusseldorf and he was invited to join many of the members of his site for a dinner, a nice moment to know each other in person, and i remember he told us...nothing...we waited for a "oh yes, it would be a pleasure" or "no, because i don't like you"...nothing. I also already said that i don't care who is the owner(s) but the site must work well. Before there were profiles for each member and the were the airlines logos, just to update the community list; now the ship is sank (as you correctly said) but with much more missing things than before and with many less members participating to the forum's life.
Less members participating is because it's dying hobby with a lot of members losing interest with fewer and fewer new mwmbers joining, that started under the old ownership, probably the reason why they sold the site in the first place.

Re. those dopey profiles and airlines logos, not really into em. So that doesn't make me like the site less.
Instead of antagonizing the very people who trying to keep this dying niche hobby going, let's show a lil more gratitude and be pragmatic.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:11 PM   #52
JeffinM***

cameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributor

The "new" owners passion for the hobby is minimal to say the least. It is clear to me that their input and responses are not what we expect. The "logos" will never be reinstated as long as they continue to run the site. Plain and simple. They do not want to spend any money to "rent" the logos. There is one person on this site who really cares and he is from Australia. Make me Laugh ok? He does it from the bottom of his heart and from his hospital bed. When they asked people to help him they messed up all the time. Their seems to be no "take charge" person here. What a shame.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:27 PM   #53
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Director View Post
Incorrect

We were approached about selling the sites to Martingale Internet Technologies, owner/developer of a new site called ToyCollector.com - They had millions of dollars in investors, toy companies were going to back them, full offices, and available cash and developers to get it all done. The original vision was a good one; and it was beyond the reach of what we could do with our at the time with our expertise, monetary funds, and level of desire at the time.

Martingale is now HobbyDB - and they did 0 of their promises.

What planet are you living on? half the features are broken, hidden, turned off and the database is a disaster of errors and omissions..

Did they put a gun to your head? If a group wants to buy your business, you can always say NO.
Maybe it was a hostile takeover and you weren't willing participants Hahahahaha
Old 07-25-2014, 12:47 PM   #54
Earning My Wings

RogerMc is flying under the radar

I've only been a collector & member of W900 for a few years. When I joined things were GREAT and I enjoyed reading valuable information about my hobby in the forums. From day one I utilized the impressive database to inventory my growing collection and LOVED having the capability. I didn't interact much but I was busy learning from others. Life was good.

Then something happened and there was talk about a new database. I wasn't aware there was new ownership but I detected some changes that I did not consider to be progress. There was also a change in the forum content. People's attitudes and tones even changed. I noticed that features were missing and broken. I once saw the new database and was absolutely horrified. As a result, I stopped visiting W900. But my collection remains here. I can no longer print as PDF, etc. Whatever, I have workarounds.

Now this thread seems to give me a concise history of what happened. Or does it?

Can someone please help me by answering a simple question with a direct answer?

Did the original owners (or at least owners from approx 2012) sell out W900 to another party/parties, who ultimately diminished the content/features of the site by their actions?

Thanks everyone!
Roger
Old 07-25-2014, 03:42 PM   #55
UK Model Retailer

herpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobbyherpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobbyherpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobbyherpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobbyherpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobbyherpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobbyherpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobbyherpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobbyherpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobbyherpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobbyherpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobby

New HobbyDB demo still looks pretty bad...
hobbyDB

Herpa, Hogan, Sky500, Inflight500, Phoenix, JC Wings and Gemini Jets stockist.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:37 PM   #56
FŲrum King

MYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobby

Quote:

Old 07-25-2014, 05:49 PM   #57
Line Service Technician

Southwest&Blue is a legend of the hobbySouthwest&Blue is a legend of the hobbySouthwest&Blue is a legend of the hobbySouthwest&Blue is a legend of the hobbySouthwest&Blue is a legend of the hobbySouthwest&Blue is a legend of the hobbySouthwest&Blue is a legend of the hobbySouthwest&Blue is a legend of the hobbySouthwest&Blue is a legend of the hobbySouthwest&Blue is a legend of the hobbySouthwest&Blue is a legend of the hobby

Quote:

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or what... but come on. I know you're one for conflict, but this is stupid.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:28 PM   #58
banned

Flight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributor

Quote:
Did they put a gun to your head? If a group wants to buy your business, you can always say NO.
Maybe it was a hostile takeover and you weren't willing participants Hahahahaha
No it wasn't hostile. At the time we were presented with a grand plan of a very good idea to make the database bigger and better than it ever was. It had the backing of investors, over $1M USD and more. What we didn't know is that the company buying it would be poorly managed and essentially burn through all of its money with nothing left to show for it.

After all the snake oil was promised, they toiled and played around with the other sites they purchased (this is pre hobbydb), bought too much, didn't know what they were doing, and hence lost their vision and direction over the course of 2 years. Unknown to us, they had to sell the forums (they had no money left), enter Mas Media (apparently they are forum specialists, yet they can't even fix BASIC issues on a forum) as the savior to own the sites and then the failed attempt to move everyone to hobbydb. which as we know was a miserable failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerMc View Post
...I noticed that features were missing and broken. I once saw the new database and was absolutely horrified. As a result, I stopped visiting W900. But my collection remains here. I can no longer print as PDF, etc. Whatever, I have workarounds.

Now this thread seems to give me a concise history of what happened. Or does it?

Can someone please help me by answering a simple question with a direct answer?

Did the original owners (or at least owners from approx 2012) sell out W900 to another party/parties, who ultimately diminished the content/features of the site by their actions?
Yes look at my response just above; we were sold on the idea that they had the capabilities to take the site to bigger and better places. In the end it was a failure. So they sold the domain names and the forums to MasMedia (now "the Forum"), but kept the database for themselves. So now they moved to Colorado to try to raise more money to try HobbyDB again. Since they burned UK investors they are now trying to get more $$ in the USA.

HobbyDB doesn't own this site, they ONLY own the database and the collection system. "The Forum", formerly MasMedia owns the domain and is responsible for keeping the forums running. HobbyDB has NO interest in fixing any database issues here because they want you to use their new system that has been "coming soon" for nearly 3-4 years now.

MasMedia has NO interest in fixing the database because they don't own it. As long as MasMedia gets $$$ from the ads they will run this forum until it dies a slow death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraman1031 View Post
The "new" owners passion for the hobby is minimal to say the least. It is clear to me that their input and responses are not what we expect. The "logos" will never be reinstated as long as they continue to run the site. Plain and simple. They do not want to spend any money to "rent" the logos.Their seems to be no "take charge" person here. What a shame.
Again, see above. this "site" is owned by MasMedia - they own Linux, Android, RC Cars, Train and other forums. How can they possibly be passionate about it? impossible.

Quote:
Less members participating is because it's dying hobby with a lot of members losing interest with fewer and fewer new mwmbers joining, that started under the old ownership, probably the reason why they sold the site in the first place.
Incorrect, we sold because we were mis-lead into believing grand plans that never materialized and that were run my management that has no clue about the site, the collectors, or the hobby.

We cautioned Martingale (the name of the original buyer before they changed their name 3-4 times) told them that the software was written to do one thing: Collect Diecast Aircraft, and it would NOT scale to other hobbies/products. We warned them of the complexity of the sites - not only from a software perspective, but how the user base is dedicated to their collections, to each other, and the way that the sites work. Any disruption of any of these could, and most likely would cause issue. It was also explained that they would need someone to learn/understand all of the code on the sites - it’s very complicated. We sounded the warning bells multiple times, and they ignored it every time. Never learning the software, and now look where you guys are w/your collection.

So in January 2013 W9/DAC/S6 officially leave the server where they were home for most of their life. On a positive note, we managed to get back www.diecastwings.net and www.modelairports.net and immediately reinstate both. Then we cut ties. After being told for 3 years that the site will not operate well outside of current server and they need someone to learn the system; there is still not a single person who knows how to operate the sites. They move off of current sever and everything goes downhill. Graphs don’t' update, emails fail, print function doesn't work, DAC is hacked, all former db admins leave, logos are gone, need I go on? No decency to even tell the users what is going on, all smoke and mirrors and promises of a brighter tomorrow. As of this writing they still can’t figure out how to make code changes to fix basic functions. There are known fixes for the problems people are seeing on the forums, and simple code changes can bring back graphs and other items. Does anyone care to research and fix them? Not at all, as long as people click and make people money, that’s all that matters.

Last edited by Flight Director; 07-25-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:27 PM   #59
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Director View Post
No it wasn't hostile. At the time we were presented with a grand plan of a very good idea to make the database bigger and better than it ever was. It had the backing of investors, over $1M USD and more. What we didn't know is that the company buying it would be poorly managed and essentially burn through all of its money with nothing left to show for it.

After all the snake oil was promised, they toiled and played around with the other sites they purchased (this is pre hobbydb), bought too much, didn't know what they were doing, and hence lost their vision and direction over the course of 2 years. Unknown to us, they had to sell the forums (they had no money left), enter Mas Media (apparently they are forum specialists, yet they can't even fix BASIC issues on a forum) as the savior to own the sites and then the failed attempt to move everyone to hobbydb. which as we know was a miserable failure.

Yes look at my response just above; we were sold on the idea that they had the capabilities to take the site to bigger and better places. In the end it was a failure. So they sold the domain names and the forums to MasMedia (now "the Forum"), but kept the database for themselves. So now they moved to Colorado to try to raise more money to try HobbyDB again. Since they burned UK investors they are now trying to get more $$ in the USA.

HobbyDB doesn't own this site, they ONLY own the database and the collection system. "The Forum", formerly MasMedia owns the domain and is responsible for keeping the forums running. HobbyDB has NO interest in fixing any database issues here because they want you to use their new system that has been "coming soon" for nearly 3-4 years now.

MasMedia has NO interest in fixing the database because they don't own it. As long as MasMedia gets $$$ from the ads they will run this forum until it dies a slow death.

Again, see above. this "site" is owned by MasMedia - they own Linux, Android, RC Cars, Train and other forums. How can they possibly be passionate about it? impossible.

Incorrect, we sold because we were mis-lead into believing grand plans that never materialized and that were run my management that has no clue about the site, the collectors, or the hobby.

We cautioned Martingale (the name of the original buyer before they changed their name 3-4 times) told them that the software was written to do one thing: Collect Diecast Aircraft, and it would NOT scale to other hobbies/products. We warned them of the complexity of the sites - not only from a software perspective, but how the user base is dedicated to their collections, to each other, and the way that the sites work. Any disruption of any of these could, and most likely would cause issue. It was also explained that they would need someone to learn/understand all of the code on the sites - itís very complicated. We sounded the warning bells multiple times, and they ignored it every time. Never learning the software, and now look where you guys are w/your collection.

So in January 2013 W9/DAC/S6 officially leave the server where they were home for most of their life. On a positive note, we managed to get back www.diecastwings.net and www.modelairports.net and immediately reinstate both. Then we cut ties. After being told for 3 years that the site will not operate well outside of current server and they need someone to learn the system; there is still not a single person who knows how to operate the sites. They move off of current sever and everything goes downhill. Graphs donít' update, emails fail, print function doesn't work, DAC is hacked, all former db admins leave, logos are gone, need I go on? No decency to even tell the users what is going on, all smoke and mirrors and promises of a brighter tomorrow. As of this writing they still canít figure out how to make code changes to fix basic functions. There are known fixes for the problems people are seeing on the forums, and simple code changes can bring back graphs and other items. Does anyone care to research and fix them? Not at all, as long as people click and make people money, thatís all that matters.
Pretty naive if you thought you could sell your business to a big company and still expect them to run it like a Mom and Pop's place.

It's like if you sell a racing team you cant keep coming around telling the drivers you dont like the way the new guy is running things, then you should've kept your business and run it your way.

So under 30 members want the previous owners back that's a pretty small number. Hahahahaha
Old 07-25-2014, 08:47 PM   #60
banned

Quote:
Pretty naive if you thought you could sell your business to a big company and still expect them to run it like a Mom and Pop's place.

It's like if you sell a racing team you cant keep coming around telling the drivers you dont like the way the new guy is running things, then you should've kept your business and run it your way.

So under 30 members want the previous owners back that's a pretty small number. Hahahahaha
Originally we were all going to be included and help them run the sites and continue to help it along. Keeping the Mom and Pop feel... it became clear very quickly that they had no clue and they just kept digging themselves deeper. We were sold a bag of lies.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: