Update: Database Design & Logos - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Ground Control > General Squawk Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
RJ Second Officer

Baskingshark needs to improve
Update: Database Design & Logos

Hi everybody,

We wanted to give you an update on the database and the logos.

The new database design, which will eliminate a lot of the issues we’ve experienced with the existing system as well as being a more dynamic and modern interface, is estimated to be about three-four weeks away. We’ve got some testers working on it at the moment (and we’re looking for more so PM me if you’re interested).

In the meantime, however, the logos will be disappearing off at the end of today. After the site transfer, we traded Todd a couple of URLs in return for airlinelogos.net to continue supplying them for a period of time, but that has now expired and unfortunately, while we tried to find a compromise that would allow them to stay up until the new design is ready to go, the only deal on the table was an offer to lease the logos to us for $7,000 per year. However, since (a) we won’t need them for a whole year as the new site will need bigger, higher-res logos and (b) we feel that the deal is a little too rich for the site’s interest, we’ve unfortunately had to decline.

More details on the database to follow!

Andrew
Baskingshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
RJ Second Officer

arinmuk is getting startedarinmuk is getting startedarinmuk is getting startedarinmuk is getting startedarinmuk is getting startedarinmuk is getting started
Re: Update: Database Design & Logos

Andrew - this is good news but I do have afew questions and an answer would be appreciated to keep us, the collectorate, updated on thte timelines of the following items

a) The Print feature is not working
b) The quality of the updates specially in the fields description or remarks are empty or sometimes nothing is added there. Previously we used to gett he updates in there and they were quite good to see them.
c) The graphs are not showing up when we go to my model collection. e,g, types of models i have and quantity in each of the scale just to name a few.
d) Database searches which yeiled responses in or around a second now seems to be slower than usual. this is specifically noticed when you are trying to adda model to your collection and is using the search/add feature
e) at the same time some of the models show negative to excessive values.

These are some of my observations for the past 5-6 weeks.
thanks for reading and hoping to get some idea of when these can be resolved
Old 04-04-2013, 06:28 AM   #3
First Officer

Scottish_DC-10 is a good contributorScottish_DC-10 is a good contributorScottish_DC-10 is a good contributorScottish_DC-10 is a good contributorScottish_DC-10 is a good contributorScottish_DC-10 is a good contributorScottish_DC-10 is a good contributorScottish_DC-10 is a good contributorScottish_DC-10 is a good contributorScottish_DC-10 is a good contributorScottish_DC-10 is a good contributor
Exclamation Re: Update: Database Design & Logos

All the above was highlighted in an email from admin from DiMA...?!?

Hello DiMA Users!

We've done some housekeeping and bug fixes in the past week. And we've been coding our print system.

So a few items to note:
* Forum Upgrade - We upgraded to v5.0.1 - Looks like the pagination issue was not fixed in this release. We are putting pressure on VB on this issue.
* Database Search Bug fixes - in both quick search and advanced we fixed a few minor bugs that we had. Most users wouldn't have picked up on them but best to get them fixed so they don't create issues in the future
* Airline Logos - You've seen airline logos disappear from other popular databases in the past 24 hours. Rest assured that here at DiMA we have a legal binding document that outlines our lifetime usage of the logos from AirlineLogos.net!
* Collection Print - Beta testers wanted! If you want to test our new collection print system please email us at [email protected]
* Tell your friends about us! - Other sites have lost logos, don't have the Model Popularity Score, their databases have tons of errors and missing data, print doesn't function and their graphs/values are out of date. Tell your friends to join us and help shape an all new community.

We invite you to visit our poll to tell us how we are doing. We've received great feedback from our users and we've implemented almost all the feature requests they have had so far. We are working to be on-top of any bugs and working hard for our users. Join in the discussion here: How are we doing? Tell us! - Diecast Model Aircraft

We want to be transparent to our users and keep them updated on whats going on. This is our hobby too!

-DiMA
Home - Diecast Model Aircraft

I don`t use Dima but have registered out of curiosity. Personally I find it "CHILDISH" the way things are going with "PATHETIC" fighting over collectors, collecting used to be fun but alas now is becoming repetitively boring with certain manufacturers constantly bad-mouthing others and this whole "CARRY ON" with databases, fighting over airline logos etc, and people whining about certain aspects of Wings9000 not working properly! Last time I looked Wings900 was "FREE!", therefore no justification for the constant whining! It`s easy enough to have your own database with the APPARENTLY PRECIOUS LOGOS, if you collect for pleasure why are up to date values required and who gives about "MODEL POPULARITY"? (WTF?!? )I collect for the pleasure of it, not to boast how much my airline logo "attached" collection is worth! The guys on here do a "BLOODY STERLING" job with what they`ve got, it`s worth remembering that some of the site`s functionality was taken away when it changed hands....Wings900 have served me and ALL of you well....worth remembering!

So come on, less whining and more appreciation of the guys that are "DOING THEIR BEST" to get this site running smoothly again....

Comments are welcomed, BUT Please think about what your putting down...
Scottish_DC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2013, 07:01 AM   #4
RJ First Officer

Air Force One Fan is a good contributorAir Force One Fan is a good contributorAir Force One Fan is a good contributorAir Force One Fan is a good contributorAir Force One Fan is a good contributorAir Force One Fan is a good contributorAir Force One Fan is a good contributorAir Force One Fan is a good contributorAir Force One Fan is a good contributorAir Force One Fan is a good contributor

Mate,

Well said - yes W900 is going through a bump at the moment but its been around so long and served many others well that I dont see the need to simply stop using this great forum.

Im part of many great forums starting out with 400 scale hangar, wings900, DAC, MAC. I too am a member of DiMA which has its pros but don't see the need for another forum to outline and promote this forums current temporary issues.

Keep up the great work guys and im sure Wings900 will be back up and running smoothly once more.

Last edited by Air Force One Fan; 04-04-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Air Force One Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
Wings900 Team Member

make.me.laugh is an excellent contributormake.me.laugh is an excellent contributormake.me.laugh is an excellent contributormake.me.laugh is an excellent contributormake.me.laugh is an excellent contributormake.me.laugh is an excellent contributormake.me.laugh is an excellent contributormake.me.laugh is an excellent contributormake.me.laugh is an excellent contributormake.me.laugh is an excellent contributormake.me.laugh is an excellent contributor

G'day,

Apparently we should also remember the Wings900 Team Members volunteer our time and services to wings, we don't get paid and I personally often end up spending several hours each day uploading information, new models and photos to the DB. Other Team Members likewise, be it forum Moderators, Reviewers and other Database Editors do similar. Also often much of the information in the Database comes direct from our members, both from their own collections and also their aviation experience and/or knowledge.

The main areas of concern have been about the quality of program script that runs on Wings900. A lot of it was written last century and is not up to current best-practice. Much of the time, new data has simply been added to older data in a Band-Aid fashion resulting in slow running times and quirky mistakes. Many of the current concerns stem from both the old programming and newer programming running next to and on top of each other.

As stated before... All will be resolved in the next 4-6 weeks. When it happens I hope you write a follow-up praising the site and the many volunteer Team Members plus the new owners and MAS Media in a job very well done...

Some people from outside Wings900 say it's all doom and gloom, time to abandon ship (or is that plane?!?), however it is just a 'blip' and real soon we're all going to be custodians of a truly awesome, best practice, well maintained site!

Cheers Lou

P.S. The new owners have taken on the task of re-writing all the script to bring it into the 21st Century
Old 04-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #6
First Officer

Scottish_DC-10 is a good contributorScottish_DC-10 is a good contributorScottish_DC-10 is a good contributorScottish_DC-10 is a good contributorScottish_DC-10 is a good contributorScottish_DC-10 is a good contributorScottish_DC-10 is a good contributorScottish_DC-10 is a good contributorScottish_DC-10 is a good contributorScottish_DC-10 is a good contributorScottish_DC-10 is a good contributor
Thumbs up Re: Update: Database Design & Logos

Lou,

I meant to mention the volunteers, too busy making sure I had my views down! I`ve been on Wings900 for years, I will not be jumping. I fail to understand why some people just cannot wait for updates to come along, I suppose it`s just society these days, Quick to jump on something that is not "how they think" something should be, Quick to forget that Wings900 have served us "The Collectors" over the years. Updates and features will come when there ready, don`t rush them - "I`m sure the guys behind them want them to be perfect " (save the wrath of the TROLL collectors!)

Support from Scotland!
Scottish_DC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #7
RJ Second Officer

arinmuk is getting startedarinmuk is getting startedarinmuk is getting startedarinmuk is getting startedarinmuk is getting startedarinmuk is getting started

Thank you Lou for the three part email. it was very polite and informative . I appreciate the three part PM addressing the genuine concerns.

thanks
Old 04-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #8
RJ Second Officer

Hi again everybody,

Many thanks for the messages of support, which are much appreciated. And a big hand from us for Lou as well, who took over updates on the database and has been doing a great job.

I wanted to address arinmuk's concerns and explain a little about why some of these things are happening. The following:

a) The Print feature is not working
c) The graphs are not showing up when we go to my model collection. e,g, types of models i have and quantity in each of the scale just to name a few.
e) at the same time some of the models show negative to excessive values.

are all due to the fact that behind the scenes, the site is very much showing its age. A lot of the software the current Wings database is based on is very out of date (by several versions in some cases) and because it was not designed as a whole from the get-go, but rather developed over time with features being added as Todd & co went along, a lot of the design is very complicated and is now starting to break down. (For example, the currency tables which you may recall went screwy round about the time of the site migration - these use insanely complicated calculations and need desperately to be simplified). The issue with the Print feature was the earliest symptom of this; this issue predates any of the site developments, it's only been working on and off since late last year.

The new setup we're working on will be based on current software and has been designed to integrate features in the most coherent way possible so we don't have a situation where additional features require us to go back and hack around previous work. It's also being designed so it'll last, with a view to keeping the site running long into the future, as well as having a more cutting-edge interface.

b) The quality of the updates specially in the fields description or remarks are empty or sometimes nothing is added there. Previously we used to gett he updates in there and they were quite good to see them.

As per Lou, there was a huge backlog of updates (some 6 weeks worth) which he has worked through and has done a sterling job with under the circumstances. We're all working to get the updates back onto as regular and comprehensive a schedule as possible.

d) Database searches which yeiled responses in or around a second now seems to be slower than usual. this is specifically noticed when you are trying to adda model to your collection and is using the search/add feature

This again is likely due to the creakiness of the current setup - I'll have a talk with Justin to see if anything can be done.

Thanks again everybody, and we promise we're doing our very best to make the new database worth the wait!
Old 04-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
Master ATP Captain

lollomz is a top doglollomz is a top doglollomz is a top doglollomz is a top doglollomz is a top doglollomz is a top doglollomz is a top doglollomz is a top doglollomz is a top doglollomz is a top doglollomz is a top dog

Thanks for the updates, I wish you all the best for the "new" W900, I spent 10 years in good company, I'm sure I'll have a great time in the future too...

Lollo

lollomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:11 AM   #10
RJ Second Officer

We very much hope so!
Old 04-08-2013, 07:50 AM   #11
JeffinM***

cameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributor

make.me.laugh (Lou) is doing an excellent job with the database updates. He is a very personable person and I enjoy working with him.
Regarding DAC. Sometimes the word "Flashplayer" appears for some odd reason. Why? I don't think I need to update mine.

Looking for any Airbus A330neo 1/200 models
cameraman1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:54 AM   #12
Captain

michael737 is a legend of the hobbymichael737 is a legend of the hobbymichael737 is a legend of the hobbymichael737 is a legend of the hobbymichael737 is a legend of the hobbymichael737 is a legend of the hobbymichael737 is a legend of the hobbymichael737 is a legend of the hobbymichael737 is a legend of the hobbymichael737 is a legend of the hobbymichael737 is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraman1031 View Post
make.me.laugh (Lou) is doing an excellent job with the database updates. He is a very personable person and I enjoy working with him.
Regarding DAC. Sometimes the word "Flashplayer" appears for some odd reason. Why? I don't think I need to update mine.
Seconded +1
michael737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:44 AM   #13
RJ Second Officer

Hmmm, not sure about the flashplayer - what browsers are you guys using and when does it appear?
Old 04-11-2013, 08:41 AM   #14
JeffinM***

cameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributor

It only appears in DAC. I'll do a Google search for DAC. Click on that and and Flashplayer comes up saying that I have to upgrade in order to use the website properly. At first I tried it then it wouldn't update now I just delete it.

Looking for any Airbus A330neo 1/200 models
cameraman1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:43 AM   #15
Second Officer

Jakfuki is an excellent contributorJakfuki is an excellent contributorJakfuki is an excellent contributorJakfuki is an excellent contributorJakfuki is an excellent contributorJakfuki is an excellent contributorJakfuki is an excellent contributorJakfuki is an excellent contributorJakfuki is an excellent contributorJakfuki is an excellent contributorJakfuki is an excellent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraman1031 View Post
It only appears in DAC. I'll do a Google search for DAC. Click on that and and Flashplayer comes up saying that I have to upgrade in order to use the website properly. At first I tried it then it wouldn't update now I just delete it.
That happened to me as well. It also happened the other day on here. The logo issue and the slow load times existed before that, though.
Jakfuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: