A new model airliner magazine..... - Page 5 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Ground Control > General Squawk Talk

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #61
1/400 Collector

nathanbennett is a legend of the hobbynathanbennett is a legend of the hobbynathanbennett is a legend of the hobbynathanbennett is a legend of the hobbynathanbennett is a legend of the hobbynathanbennett is a legend of the hobbynathanbennett is a legend of the hobbynathanbennett is a legend of the hobbynathanbennett is a legend of the hobbynathanbennett is a legend of the hobbynathanbennett is a legend of the hobby
Re: A new model airliner magazine.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight fan View Post
Speaking of which, i could take to my local hobby store about this when all is fixed. If you want.
That would be great thanks
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #62
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

So Nathan, Can you please post a detailed summary of subjects and things that still need to be done so we can do it general and whenever we have a subject done, We can let you know and we can move on

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
Old 12-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #63
1/400 Collector

nathanbennett is a legend of the hobbynathanbennett is a legend of the hobbynathanbennett is a legend of the hobbynathanbennett is a legend of the hobbynathanbennett is a legend of the hobbynathanbennett is a legend of the hobbynathanbennett is a legend of the hobbynathanbennett is a legend of the hobbynathanbennett is a legend of the hobbynathanbennett is a legend of the hobbynathanbennett is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
So Nathan, Can you please post a detailed summary of subjects and things that still need to be done so we can do it general and whenever we have a subject done, We can let you know and we can move on
At the moment I am having discussions with all the main manufacturers regarding copyright on picture/logo/name usage. Some major names have replied quickly so those are ticked off so far

Samples of paper weight and stock will arrive tomorrow and I am currently working on the main website.

My next job will be to compile a rough list of contents for this magazine. This is where all you guys will come in.

Once I get to that stage I will be sure to write a detailed list on here for those who wish to submit content for consideration.

I want to stress that all articles need to be of a high and professional standard. Good grammar and completed projects. Otherwise this magazine will not work and distributers will not take this seriously.

More info to come soon...

Old 12-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #64
ATP Captain

bmibaby737 is a top dogbmibaby737 is a top dogbmibaby737 is a top dogbmibaby737 is a top dogbmibaby737 is a top dogbmibaby737 is a top dogbmibaby737 is a top dogbmibaby737 is a top dogbmibaby737 is a top dogbmibaby737 is a top dogbmibaby737 is a top dog

Sounds like a great Idea mate, Im sure there would be a lot of people on here willing to contribute, good luck!
Old 12-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #65
1/400 Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmibaby737 View Post
Sounds like a great Idea mate, Im sure there would be a lot of people on here willing to contribute, good luck!
Thanks mate. Hopefully we'll pull this all together as planned
Old 12-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #66
Wings900 Team Member

mmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight fan View Post
1) It could be, but if it sells well it might even out.

2) That's a common thing that i've seen happen several times. Trust me, i read a lot of Model Railroader Magazine and the models they review are almost always sold out when i check which i usually do right after reading the reviews. Also, a paper magazine would gain a greater audience as it would be seen in stores and not just online.
1) Not from a buyer perspective. You may end up paying more for the shipping than for the magazine itself

2) How many of us buy models online rather than in a shop?
Old 12-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #67
1/400 Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmu69 View Post
Not from a buyer perspective. You may end up paying more for the shipping than for the magazine itself
I will look in to a way of getting the shipping costs down. This is a point I will be looking into whilst doing all my costings and figures etc
Old 12-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #68
JeffinM***

cameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributor

Unfortunately the magazine business uses a 90 day advance. The reviews of diecasts
should simply be used as reviews and not necessarily the go-ahead to purchase that particular diecast. I doubt that the
manufacturers are going to give you carte-blanche and no-one else. That being said I think that the idea of this magazine is terrific and would do well. The distribution throughout the world will be the tough part. Again, in the US you must be in Barnes & Noble in order to get maximum distribution. Will it be monthly or quarterly?

Last edited by cameraman1031; 12-12-2012 at 02:57 PM. Reason: ed
Old 12-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #69
1/400 Collector

Yes, the reviews wouldn't be a based on a 'first ever' look before they come out. Never my intention. Just basically a good detailed review on new releases. The manufacturers I have spoken with all seem really helpful and have given me 100% approval to use their pictures, name and logo which is a great start

The whole worldwide distribution is going to be a massive job so I will see how i get on with that side of things.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #70
Red Eagles!

Flight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmu69 View Post
1) Not from a buyer perspective. You may end up paying more for the shipping than for the magazine itself

2) How many of us buy models online rather than in a shop?
1) I could be wrong, but doesn't that depend on the retailer?

2) I prefer to buy models in a shop so i can inspect it before purchase, but most of the models i want to buy aren't avalible through the shops i know and can visit.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #71
UK Model Retailer

herpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobbyherpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobbyherpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobbyherpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobbyherpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobbyherpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobbyherpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobbyherpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobbyherpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobbyherpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobbyherpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobby

I was going to say, I could help on the website, but Nathan - it seems that's all under control
I can already see some obstacles such as the worldwide distribution and also filling the magasine, but I wish you the best of luck and really hope that it works out, because I would buy it.

As for retailers such as WHSmiths, I would suspect that you need to have a certain number of estimated readers? Because I doubt that they'd be interested in stocking something that barely ever sells.

I think that the newstand idea for iPhones/iPods/iPads is a great idea as it removes the need for shipping, but it's always nice to have a physical copy.

And I would be happy to help by being a sponsor or advertiser

Herpa, Hogan, Sky500, Inflight500, Phoenix, JC Wings and Gemini Jets stockist.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #72
1/400 Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by herpacollectorUK View Post
I was going to say, I could help on the website, but Nathan - it seems that's all under control
I can already see some obstacles such as the worldwide distribution and also filling the magasine, but I wish you the best of luck and really hope that it works out, because I would buy it.

As for retailers such as WHSmiths, I would suspect that you need to have a certain number of estimated readers? Because I doubt that they'd be interested in stocking something that barely ever sells.

I think that the newstand idea for iPhones/iPods/iPads is a great idea as it removes the need for shipping, but it's always nice to have a physical copy.

And I would be happy to help by being a sponsor or advertiser
Thanks for your kind words and support Ben. Hugely appreciated

Yes, website is all under control. Thank you though.

The distribution is the main thing I am looking into right now. I was recently on the front cover of a magazine that was available in WHSmiths and Walmart throughout the UK so I will use that contact to see about getting it in there although like you said it could all be based on how many readers will physically buy it. This leads me to think that maybe online order is the best starting point to gauge the interest.

Would be wonderful to have you on board as an advertiser
Old 12-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #73
ATP Captain

adam340 is a top dogadam340 is a top dogadam340 is a top dogadam340 is a top dogadam340 is a top dogadam340 is a top dogadam340 is a top dogadam340 is a top dogadam340 is a top dogadam340 is a top dogadam340 is a top dog

Are there going to be subscriptions?
Old 12-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #74
1/400 Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam340 View Post
Are there going to be subscriptions?
Yes. That'll be available through the website
Old 12-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #75
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

This is a great idea. Except for WingsWorld, there aren't so many airplane models magazines, so it would be very interesting and useful.
Tell me if and how could i help you to develop your idea.
P.S. My only doubt is how could i reach the magazine in my poor country....

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: