My other hobby; shipspotting! - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Ground Control > General Squawk Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #1
Ferry Enthusiast

Andrew757 is a legend of the hobbyAndrew757 is a legend of the hobbyAndrew757 is a legend of the hobbyAndrew757 is a legend of the hobbyAndrew757 is a legend of the hobbyAndrew757 is a legend of the hobbyAndrew757 is a legend of the hobbyAndrew757 is a legend of the hobbyAndrew757 is a legend of the hobbyAndrew757 is a legend of the hobbyAndrew757 is a legend of the hobby
My other hobby; shipspotting!

As some of you may know, my other hobby and passion is shipspotting. I thought I'd start this thread to share my spotting images and to discover whether there are any other ship fans on this forum. Feel free to post any pics you may have of ships in this thread.

Here are some pics that I had already posted in the General Photography thread:

P&O Pride of Calais arriving in Dover from Calais as DFDS Deal Seaways begins her crossing:

DFDS Dunkerque Seaways backing into dock Dover after arriving from Dunkirk:

DFDS Deal Seaways starting her engines for departure to Calais:

The Pride of Kent arrives in Calais:

The Spirit of Britain pushes out of Calais on her way to Dover (the Spirit class are the largest ferries to operate on the Dover-Calais route):

The DFDS Deal Seaways arrives in Dover through the eastern entrance from Calais:

The Pride of Burgundy starting her engines for her next crossing to Calais:

The DFDS Dover Seaways docked at 'Dover 2' while the MV Spring Bob arrives and the Pride of Calais heads off to Calais:

Advertisement

Old 08-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
RJ Captain

wiky88 is a diecast iconwiky88 is a diecast iconwiky88 is a diecast iconwiky88 is a diecast iconwiky88 is a diecast iconwiky88 is a diecast iconwiky88 is a diecast iconwiky88 is a diecast iconwiky88 is a diecast iconwiky88 is a diecast iconwiky88 is a diecast icon
Re: My other hobby; shipspotting!

Good quality pictures. My favorite on the Dover to Calais route which I use often are the Sea France Moliere (though Sea France went bankrupt) and the two PO Spirits. Also I never saw the smaller DFDS Deal seaways. Is it new in the DFDS fleet?

Last edited by wiky88; 08-01-2012 at 12:47 PM.
wiky88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Ferry Enthusiast

Andrew757 is a legend of the hobbyAndrew757 is a legend of the hobbyAndrew757 is a legend of the hobbyAndrew757 is a legend of the hobbyAndrew757 is a legend of the hobbyAndrew757 is a legend of the hobbyAndrew757 is a legend of the hobbyAndrew757 is a legend of the hobbyAndrew757 is a legend of the hobbyAndrew757 is a legend of the hobbyAndrew757 is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiky88 View Post
Good quality pictures. My favourite on the Dover to Calais route wich I use often are the Sea France Moliere (though Sea France went bankrupt) and the two PO Spirits. Also I never saw the smaller DFDS Deal seaways. Is it new in the DFDS fleet?
Thanks! I usually make the round trip to Calais around 6 times a year, sometimes just for photos . My favourite ferry was the Moliere; very smooth sailing even in rough waters. I used to sail on Seafrance a lot; usually on the Rodin, Berlioz and Cezanne but did occasionally sail on the Moliere. I now use P&O and usually sail on the two Spirits.

The Deal Seaways is on lease to DFDS from Brittany Ferries, and has been in service on the Dover-Calais route with DFDS since the 27th April. She is due to be returned to Brittany Ferries in October, but the lease may be extended; especially with the introduction of the MYFERRYLINK operations from Eurotunnel this month.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
Admin

furryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobby

You'd love where I work-Larne! Plenty of ships in and out of there
Old 08-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
Ferry Enthusiast

Here are some more pics from Dover:

The Norman Spirit arrives in Dover from Calais:

The DFDS Dover Seaways arriving from Dunkirk (there are 3 D-Class ships in service with DFDS; Dover, Dunkerque and Delft Seaways):

The Spirit of France backing in dock in Dover:

Old 08-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
Ferry Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryforest View Post
You'd love where I work-Larne! Plenty of ships in and out of there
Sounds like my kind of place!
Old 08-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
RJ Captain

wiky88 is a diecast iconwiky88 is a diecast iconwiky88 is a diecast iconwiky88 is a diecast iconwiky88 is a diecast iconwiky88 is a diecast iconwiky88 is a diecast iconwiky88 is a diecast iconwiky88 is a diecast iconwiky88 is a diecast iconwiky88 is a diecast icon

Do you have any pictures of the Norman bridge, I think it used to do the Dover-Boulogne route before? I went on it once but at night so didn't see much of it.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #8
Ferry Enthusiast

Quote:
Do you have any pictures of the Norman bridge, I think it used to do the Dover-Boulogne route before? I went on it once but at night so didn't see much of it.
Unfortunatly I dont have any pics of the Noman Bridge, but I do have some photos of her sistership the Norman Trader (sorry about the quality; they were taken using my old camera):

Old 08-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #9
RJ Captain

Thanks, I'm taking the Eurotunnel in a week, the ferries worst enemy but a interesting move from Eurotunnel by leasing the ships. I guess they want to control both.

Last edited by wiky88; 08-01-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:00 PM   #10
Ferry Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks, I'm taking the Eurotunnel in a week, the ferries worst enemy but a weird move from Eurotunnel by leasing the ships. I guess they want to control both.
The main reason that Eurotunnel purchased the Seafrance assets was to have a monopoly on the cross channel market. They aready have 40% of the market, but want to dominate it. The controversial part is that Eurotunnel is heavily in debt; but the government has allowed them to ignore it, meaning that they have been able to continue the price war with P&O and get into more debt. If P&O or DFDS got into the amount of debt that Eurotunnel are in they would have collapsed years ago; as we saw with Seafrance in January.

P&O and DFDS are going to be hit hard by this takeover and I can see DFDS/LD Lines cutting the Dover-Calais in the wake of the impending price war. I can also see P&O reducing the number of Dover-Calais sailings with the Pride of Calais and possibly the Pride of Burgundy being withdrawn from service. The new MYFERRYLINK plans to operate 11 daily sailing from October, and this whole situation will end in tears for one of the operators.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:37 PM   #11
RJ Captain

wingser is a good contributorwingser is a good contributorwingser is a good contributorwingser is a good contributorwingser is a good contributorwingser is a good contributorwingser is a good contributorwingser is a good contributorwingser is a good contributor

Boeing 929 Jetofil

wingser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:08 AM   #12
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Hi Andrew. I read many magazines about ships because i love them too. I love the cruise ships, the supertankers, the container ships and the ferry...everything floats on water and with a certain tonnage. I have done many photos of cruise ships in Genova, in Norway (Oslo), and in Civitavecchia, but i had not my digital camera.
Beautiful thread Andrew.

Leisure airlines lover
Desperately needing: Blue Panorama B737W, neos B737 MAX8/B737W, easyJet A320neo/A321neo, Blue Air B737 MAX8/B737W, Enter Air B737 MAX8/B737W, Malta Air B737 MAX8, Ryanair B737 MAX8, Buzz B737 MAX8, Volotea A320/A319, Laudamotion A320, AlbaStar B737W, Jet2holidays B737W/B757W, ITA Airways A319, Vueling A319, TAP A319, Ukraine International B737W, SkyUp B737W, PLAY A321, Air Serbia A319, SkyExpress A320neo, Ural Airlines A320, Nordwind A321/B737W, Nordstar B737W, Rossiya A319/A320/B737W, Pobeda B737W, UTAir B737W, Kenya Airways B737W, Ethiopian Airlines B737 MAX8, Air Arabia A320, FlyOne A320, Tus Airways A320, LATAM A320, Avianca A320, Aerolineas Argentinas B737W, Southwest B737 MAX8/B737W, Volaris A319/A320, Nouvelair A320, SATA Dash 8-400, Air Europa B737W, Israir A320, JetTime B737-700WL.
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #13
UK Model Retailer

herpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobbyherpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobbyherpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobbyherpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobbyherpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobbyherpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobbyherpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobbyherpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobbyherpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobbyherpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobbyherpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobby

I also like the larger ships like Alessandro.
I have been on two Royal Carribean cruises in the past, Jewel and Brilliance of the Seas.

Also I have been on both P&O Pride of Calais and Pride of Kent on Dover - Calais route.
I did go on another but I have forgotten the name now!
Very nice photos!!

Herpa, Hogan, Sky500, Inflight500, Phoenix, JC Wings and Gemini Jets stockist.
herpacollectorUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:13 AM   #14
Ferry Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingser View Post
Boeing 929 Jetofil

Thanks for sharing! Where were these great pics taken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
Hi Andrew. I read many magazines about ships because i love them too. I love the cruise ships, the supertankers, the container ships and the ferry...everything floats on water and with a certain tonnage. I have done many photos of cruise ships in Genova, in Norway (Oslo), and in Civitavecchia, but i had not my digital camera.
Beautiful thread Andrew.
Quote:
Originally Posted by herpacollectorUK View Post
I also like the larger ships like Alessandro.
I have been on two Royal Carribean cruises in the past, Jewel and Brilliance of the Seas.

Also I have been on both P&O Pride of Calais and Pride of Kent on Dover - Calais route.
I did go on another but I have forgotten the name now!
Very nice photos!!
Thanks guys! Nice to know there are some other ship enthusiasts on this forum.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #15
banned

Brussels Airlines is an excellent contributorBrussels Airlines is an excellent contributorBrussels Airlines is an excellent contributorBrussels Airlines is an excellent contributorBrussels Airlines is an excellent contributorBrussels Airlines is an excellent contributorBrussels Airlines is an excellent contributorBrussels Airlines is an excellent contributorBrussels Airlines is an excellent contributorBrussels Airlines is an excellent contributorBrussels Airlines is an excellent contributor

I love cruiseships.
I have take the:
Saphire princess
Pacific Star
Ms galappagos Legend
Msc lirica
Msc splendida
Costa serena
Liberty of the seas
Costa atlantica
Next week: