Report your zinc-rot affected models please! - Page 5 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Ground Control > General Squawk Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #61
Як-40 Капитан

LOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobby
Re: Report your zinc-rot affected models please!

While Paint Bubbles may be a sign of Zinc Pest, it isn't 100% definite. It could just be a case of the paint simply bubbling, which sadly does happen. The most definite sign is when you start noticing the model deform itself with no interference an outside physical force (and that's usually signified by a model doing a great impersonation of a Boeing 787's wing flex. in most cases, but can also be signified by massive "cracks" showing up on the model, though that too can be a sign of paint that has gotten old too.)

To simply explain how the Zinc rot happened, and why it doesn't happen too much with models made these days with the exception of models that have been that unfortunate to receive that bad batch of Zamak (Zinc based alloy used to to make our models) is simply down to a simple down to earth explanation. High quantities of Lead impurities that have made it into the model at the Atomic level. To basically state it, Lead does not react too well with Zinc too well in this application, and when there is enough of a Lead impurity (and most of our models I should state have such an impurity to a certain, as a "pure" material would be highly prohibitive to produce, but in quantities low enough that they should be safe from turning to dust). So basically what happens is that the lead causes the atomic structure of the Zamak to deteriorate at a much faster rate, and this cases the model to start literally turning to dust as we've seen from models in the final stages of the Zinc Pest.

This is much larger problem in the Antique toy world, particularly of toys produced during the Second World War and maybe for at least 10 years after the war finished (particularly with toys of German Origin from this time, as higher quality Zinc was needed for the war effort, and then for the postwar recovery effort.)
LOT 737-300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2012, 04:55 PM   #62
First Officer

B747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobby

Thank you for this detailed report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOT 737-300 View Post
While Paint Bubbles may be a sign of Zinc Pest, it isn't 100% definite. It could just be a case of the paint simply bubbling, which sadly does happen.
I agree. I noticed paint bubbles it on my NM Alitalia 742 (I posted a photo earlier in this thread) some time ago and they do not grow. Nothing more is happening and I hope this is not zinc-rot.
B747-enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #63
Red Eagles!

Flight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobby

Just got news via miniaviamodel.ru that Aeroclassics 1/400 LOT Tu-154 has been affected...

(Pictures courtesy of miniaviamodel.ru member MSX)

And it seems that maybe, just maybe, JC Wings 1/200 Royal Aircraft Establishment VC-10 could be a victim aswell.
Flight fan is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2013, 03:33 AM   #64
Wings900 Team Member

mmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight fan View Post
Just got news via miniaviamodel.ru that Aeroclassics 1/400 LOT Tu-154 has been affected...

And it seems that maybe, just maybe, JC Wings 1/200 Royal Aircraft Establishment VC-10 could be a victim aswell.
Thanks for sharing, but let's keep this thread to 1:500 scale, ok? Feel free to start pertinent threads in other scale sections. Thank you.
mmu69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:43 AM   #65
Admin

furryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobby

Since this issue arose I haven't checked my models-I couldn't face the thought of finding them like this. I might have to suck it up and give it a go
Old 04-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #66
Red Eagles!

Flight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmu69 View Post
Thanks for sharing, but let's keep this thread to 1:500 scale, ok? Feel free to start pertinent threads in other scale sections. Thank you.
Only after i posted did i see that this thread was still in the 1:500 section. I thought it had been moved to the General Squawk Talk a while ago?

IMO, as this has affected a lot of collectors in a lot of scales, why not post this somewhere where all models can be posted?
Old 04-03-2014, 09:17 AM   #67
Puddle Jumper

Skylink is a good contributorSkylink is a good contributorSkylink is a good contributorSkylink is a good contributorSkylink is a good contributorSkylink is a good contributorSkylink is a good contributorSkylink is a good contributorSkylink is a good contributor

Quote:
Thanks for sharing this link.

Never heard of this problem before so I did some spot checks on my collection.
Unfortunately I can add another one to the list :-((

My Starjets Trans Caribbean DC-8 N8784R is also affected.

Looks nasty and makes me think about our hobby in general.
Plastic Parts turn yellow even if never disposed to sunlight, metal parts start to rot and the prices for the models exploded in the last few years....

Am I waisting time and money???
Skylink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:06 AM   #68
RJ First Officer

simao28 is a good contributorsimao28 is a good contributorsimao28 is a good contributorsimao28 is a good contributorsimao28 is a good contributorsimao28 is a good contributorsimao28 is a good contributorsimao28 is a good contributorsimao28 is a good contributorsimao28 is a good contributor

Is that model from the famous zinc-rot 2003/4 years?
simao28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:34 AM   #69
Senior Captain

geosnail is a top doggeosnail is a top doggeosnail is a top doggeosnail is a top doggeosnail is a top doggeosnail is a top doggeosnail is a top doggeosnail is a top doggeosnail is a top doggeosnail is a top doggeosnail is a top dog

Does anybode have SQ 747 with zinc rot for sale?
Old 04-03-2014, 02:43 PM   #70
Student pilot

Malefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dog

I was looking on a famous asian website and I saw something that reminds me zinc-rot on American Airlines MD11 made by Schuco/Starjets in 1/500 scale. I don't know if it's the same problem but it looks like...

Last edited by Malefiska; 04-03-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Malefiska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:09 PM   #71
Red Eagles!

Wow, i sure as heck hope that's not a common problem!
Old 04-03-2014, 09:19 PM   #72
Master ATP Captain

hikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefiska View Post
I was looking on a famous asian website and I saw something that reminds me zinc-rot on American Airlines MD11 made by Schuco/Starjets in 1/500 scale. I don't know if it's the same problem but it looks like...

Come to think of it, this might be appropriate for a diorama of Marana or Victorville!

Kidding aside, I once had a Thai Dragon Boat which the the paint off the gear struts peel like that! I repainted them and so far ok even after several years.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:05 AM   #73
Second Officer

G-VFIT is a diecast iconG-VFIT is a diecast iconG-VFIT is a diecast iconG-VFIT is a diecast iconG-VFIT is a diecast iconG-VFIT is a diecast iconG-VFIT is a diecast iconG-VFIT is a diecast iconG-VFIT is a diecast iconG-VFIT is a diecast iconG-VFIT is a diecast icon

Quote:
Wow, i sure as heck hope that's not a common problem!
I'm afraid it is...
I can find loads of Star Jets American Airlines MD-11 with swollen paint sold on Taobao (China's "eBay").
Old 04-04-2014, 11:08 AM   #74
Red Eagles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-VFIT View Post
I'm afraid it is...
I can find loads of Star Jets American Airlines MD-11 with swollen paint sold on Taobao (China's "eBay").
But only the American? Cause i just got an Aer Lingus one in the mail, and i already had a Swissair one in my fleet. Plus a DreamJets Delta MD-11.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:21 PM   #75
Second Officer

G-VFIT is a diecast iconG-VFIT is a diecast iconG-VFIT is a diecast iconG-VFIT is a diecast iconG-VFIT is a diecast iconG-VFIT is a diecast iconG-VFIT is a diecast iconG-VFIT is a diecast iconG-VFIT is a diecast iconG-VFIT is a diecast iconG-VFIT is a diecast icon

Quote:
But only the American? Cause i just got an Aer Lingus one in the mail, and i already had a Swissair one in my fleet. Plus a DreamJets Delta MD-11.
Yes seems like only the American but not other MD-11. Personally I've got 3 Star Jets MD-11s (Japan Airlines, EVA Air & Swiss) & none of them have a problem.
One of those sellers with the faulty American MD-11 also had a Star Jets Northwest A320 with swollen paint for sale.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: