Report your zinc-rot affected models please! - Page 6 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Ground Control > General Squawk Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:06 PM   #76
Red Eagles!

Flight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobby
Re: Report your zinc-rot affected models please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-VFIT View Post
Yes seems like only the American but not other MD-11. Personally I've got 3 Star Jets MD-11s (Japan Airlines, EVA Air & Swiss) & none of them have a problem.
One of those sellers with the faulty American MD-11 also had a Star Jets Northwest A320 with swollen paint for sale.
While i am glad that none of the models i own seem to be affected, i am sorry to hear that the AA model is a victim. I'd love to get my hands on one of those, but not after seing that pic.

As for the NWA A320, it's really a shame too. But i feel that i have to ask, as i own an A319, have you found any of those? I just want to know if i should be on the lookout for this issue.
Flight fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2014, 04:47 PM   #77
Student pilot

Malefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dog

There is also one American Airlines, 757 retro jet, made by Schuco/Starjets.
Maybe this problem is current on silver painting...
Malefiska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:18 PM   #78
Red Eagles!

Flight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobby

If it's that common i wonder why it hasn't been reported before?

Old 04-05-2014, 06:37 PM   #79
Enjoy 1:500 !

joshua is getting startedjoshua is getting startedjoshua is getting startedjoshua is getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight fan View Post
If it's that common i wonder why it hasn't been reported before?
I remembered my posting from some years ago. My BigBird500 ANA "Marine Jumbo" was not affected at the time, now the wings are literaly falling apart after a period of bending upwards.

http://www.wings900.com/vb/1-500-sca...ine-jumbo.html

regards Jos
joshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:43 PM   #80
Enjoy 1:500 !

joshua is getting startedjoshua is getting startedjoshua is getting startedjoshua is getting started

Following link shows the my plagued ANA BB2002-24 "Marine Jumbo"

Model ID
joshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:49 PM   #81
Big Brother is watching

Anglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobby

Herpa's likely to be affected in the future?

Anglojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:21 PM   #82
Freight forwarder

7wesker7 is a legend of the hobby7wesker7 is a legend of the hobby7wesker7 is a legend of the hobby7wesker7 is a legend of the hobby7wesker7 is a legend of the hobby7wesker7 is a legend of the hobby7wesker7 is a legend of the hobby7wesker7 is a legend of the hobby7wesker7 is a legend of the hobby7wesker7 is a legend of the hobby7wesker7 is a legend of the hobby

I think that You are mixing the "mould" with "zinc as component of the model".

Herpa only got the mould from the BigBird, I think that they are buying zinc bars somewhere else.
211 models in 1:500
My rnav photos
7wesker7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:24 PM   #83
Big Brother is watching

Anglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobby

I hope so!

Old 04-17-2014, 04:25 PM   #84
Freight forwarder

7wesker7 is a legend of the hobby7wesker7 is a legend of the hobby7wesker7 is a legend of the hobby7wesker7 is a legend of the hobby7wesker7 is a legend of the hobby7wesker7 is a legend of the hobby7wesker7 is a legend of the hobby7wesker7 is a legend of the hobby7wesker7 is a legend of the hobby7wesker7 is a legend of the hobby7wesker7 is a legend of the hobby

If not... Well, it will be the time to change the hobby

PS. Maybe someone should email Herpa with this question??
My rnav photos
Old 04-17-2014, 04:29 PM   #85
Big Brother is watching

That last set of photos looked horrific. Not just cracked/bubbling paint but actual flexing of the metal.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:33 PM   #86
Freight forwarder

I am trying to avoid this thread... I was posting last year or 2 yrs ago some photos of my Herpa's LTU 752... It's so far in good condition, I really hope that those dots are only the mistakes made during painting...

Besides, the zinc-rot happens when zinc is contaminated with other materials that are easy to dissolve or sth... You can read on the Internet about this phenomenon, because even the collectors of the cars and trains (which are moooooore pricey) are affected with this zinc-rot :/

EDIT: It turns out to be that this zinc pest is known from very old times... So why they are still using Zinc as material? Why they don't use steel, iron or sth? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc_pest
My rnav photos

Last edited by 7wesker7; 04-17-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:13 PM   #87
Red Eagles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7wesker7 View Post
EDIT: It turns out to be that this zinc pest is known from very old times... So why they are still using Zinc as material? Why they don't use steel, iron or sth? Zinc pest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cheaper, maybe? Simpler to work with in smaller amounts? There could be any number of reasons.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:56 AM   #88
Senior Captain

Speedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobby

Afraid to check my boxes, have so many pretty expensive Star Jets and Big Birds.....actually like the BB 747 more than others, due to the mould and also the airline variety on it. But fear I gotta check them soon. There is no way you can stop it, right ?
Speedbird 001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:13 AM   #89
Wings900 Team Member

mmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7wesker7 View Post
So why they are still using Zinc as material? Why they don't use steel, iron or sth? Zinc pest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Zinc has a melting point of ca. 420 C, iron melts at ca. 1500 C. I think that answers the question to some extent Alloys may melt at lower temperatures, and offer other properties more suitable for die casting, and be less prone to zinc pest.
mmu69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:29 PM   #90
Only I didn't say Fudge..

United930 is a top dogUnited930 is a top dogUnited930 is a top dogUnited930 is a top dogUnited930 is a top dogUnited930 is a top dogUnited930 is a top dogUnited930 is a top dogUnited930 is a top dogUnited930 is a top dogUnited930 is a top dog

I have been eyeing some 747s on Ebay, but am extremely wary of purchasing them because the are indeed BB models from the time period affected.

It is never safe to assume anything...but it's been twelve years. If it were going to happen, would it have happened by now?

Am I also correct in what I read that Herpa is using the BB 747 mold now? I like the mold...that's why I'm asking...
United930 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: