Report your zinc-rot affected models please! - Page 4 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Ground Control > General Squawk Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:40 PM   #46
banned

thomsonfly737 is an excellent contributorthomsonfly737 is an excellent contributorthomsonfly737 is an excellent contributorthomsonfly737 is an excellent contributorthomsonfly737 is an excellent contributorthomsonfly737 is an excellent contributorthomsonfly737 is an excellent contributorthomsonfly737 is an excellent contributorthomsonfly737 is an excellent contributorthomsonfly737 is an excellent contributorthomsonfly737 is an excellent contributor
Re: Report your zinc-rot affected models please!

A post on 400 scale hangar regarding Zinc rot...

With a tear in my eye.... - 400 Scale Hangar
thomsonfly737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2011, 12:38 AM   #47
First Officer

Napoleon1072 is getting startedNapoleon1072 is getting startedNapoleon1072 is getting startedNapoleon1072 is getting startedNapoleon1072 is getting startedNapoleon1072 is getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmu69 View Post
Or a comment/dedicated field in the database? This is probably not exclusive to 1:500.

I think a Zinc Rot warning in the database for models falling within the range is a good idea. It would prevent some unwary collector from purchasing a model that potentially has issues.
- 1/400 Air France A320/321 Skyteam
Napoleon1072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:16 PM   #48
Puddle Jumper

Dany is getting startedDany is getting startedDany is getting startedDany is getting started
Wings900 Re: Report your zinc-rot affected models please!

Well, now that phenomenon seems to have caught one of mine. I went through the models in my collection (787 models as of now) to swap the ones being displayed for ones being in the cupboard in their boxes.

When i got to the BigBird 500 747 G-CIVB (Chelsea Rose) BigBird 1:500 British Airways B 747-436 - Wings900 ID# 3701 I noticed some very distinctive cracks in the paint. See4 the pictures for yourselves. It's the only model in my collection being affected by this. My other 13 BigBird Models and also all the Aeroclassic ones do not show any signs of problems.

I bought that Chelsea Rose in January 2004. It was fine then and it also was fine at the end of 2005, when i put it into the box for storage. It had the same environmental conditions as all the other models (19-26C and 30 to 65% of humidity, as you would expect in an appartment).

So these cracks have formed as the material seems to be expanding locally around the center of the fuselage in the upper left side. The wings are not affected at all. At least not yet
I think this is quite an early stage of the process. I'll see if it develops or if it kind of stays that way. If it does, i can just have it showing its right side towards the observer, so the main cracks won't be visible.

I thought about trying to replace it with an identical model, but since the Inflight500 BA Asia Chelsea Rose is available i'll go for that one.
Attached Thumbnails
Report your zinc-rot affected models please!-bb500_747chelsea1.jpg   Report your zinc-rot affected models please!-bb500_747chelsea2.jpg  
Dany is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #49
First Officer

B747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobby

I am sorry this happened. Zinc-rot affects Bigbird BA 747s as many of them were made in the period late 2002 - early 2003. I have never heard about the phenomenon affecting IF500 models so I think your idea of replacing the model with an IF one is very good.
B747-enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #50
Red Eagles!

Flight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobby

Here's a list of models i found on Miniaviamodel.ru that might be of interest: "????????? ???? ???????" (???????? 1) — ????????? ???? — ?????? ?????????. ??????? 1:500,1:400,1:200. ????? ?????????????? ??????? ?????????
Flight fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #51
Master ATP Captain

vince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobby

Great link Flight,it's enough to make you weep....

1939 - 2011
vince1159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #52
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight fan View Post
Yikes.. That looks very bad..

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #53
Collector

PT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
really useful list, thanks for sharing! My SQ 743 9V-SKN had a sad end, I need a replacement.
PT-TAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #54
Red Eagles!

Flight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince1159 View Post
Great link Flight,it's enough to make you weep....
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
Yikes.. That looks very bad..
Indeed... I was actually quite dissapointed and upset to see a few models from my wishlist on that list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT-TAA View Post
really useful list, thanks for sharing! My SQ 743 9V-SKN had a sad end, I need a replacement.
No problem, i thought it would help.
Sorry to hear about the model...
Old 10-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #55
Freight forwarder

7wesker7 is a legend of the hobby7wesker7 is a legend of the hobby7wesker7 is a legend of the hobby7wesker7 is a legend of the hobby7wesker7 is a legend of the hobby7wesker7 is a legend of the hobby7wesker7 is a legend of the hobby7wesker7 is a legend of the hobby7wesker7 is a legend of the hobby7wesker7 is a legend of the hobby7wesker7 is a legend of the hobby

Ow, you really freaked me out with this link to this russian site! Before, I read about 1:400 zinc rot but never heard about Big Bird/Herpa's 1:500!!!

Started to check my models and, hopefully not, found sth: (Herpa 503747)

Is this the beginning of the zinc rot or it's just thicker layer of paint? What do you think, guys?

Had a problem taking good enough photos but it's best I can do:

7wesker7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #56
First Officer

B747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT-TAA View Post
My SQ 743 9V-SKN had a sad end, I need a replacement.
Sergio, make a custom. I have heard a few complaints on this Bigbird model. It is one of the most frequently reported zinc-rot affected models.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #57
First Officer

Quote:
Thanks for this link. A tragic end to the models and a very useful list of potentially affected models. I did not know Herpa had this problem.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #58
Red Eagles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747-enthusiast View Post
Thanks for this link. A tragic end to the models and a very useful list of potentially affected models. I did not know Herpa had this problem.
Neither did i until i saw this list.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #59
Big Brother is watching

Anglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobby

Herpa 1:500 BA Japan tail 767-300.

I have had four or five examples where the fuselage aft the wings is bubbly.
Anglojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:32 AM   #60
Aviation fan

EchoCharly is a legend of the hobbyEchoCharly is a legend of the hobbyEchoCharly is a legend of the hobbyEchoCharly is a legend of the hobbyEchoCharly is a legend of the hobbyEchoCharly is a legend of the hobbyEchoCharly is a legend of the hobbyEchoCharly is a legend of the hobbyEchoCharly is a legend of the hobbyEchoCharly is a legend of the hobbyEchoCharly is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Nightmare!!! That's horrible, in my 1250 models only watch some bubbles (742F UPS OG for example), but not rifts in the paint in any of my models, this last effect is devasting in my opinion. Interesting link Flight Fan

Greetings

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: