Report your zinc-rot affected models please! - Page 2 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Ground Control > General Squawk Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:41 PM   #16
sba757 was here too :)

Kris Air is a top dogKris Air is a top dogKris Air is a top dogKris Air is a top dogKris Air is a top dogKris Air is a top dogKris Air is a top dogKris Air is a top dogKris Air is a top dogKris Air is a top dogKris Air is a top dog
Re: Report your zinc-rot affected models please!

Thanks for the quick advice Lot!

sba757 was here =D
Kris Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2010, 08:13 PM   #17
Collector

PT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobby

I have the same model SQ 743 9V-SKN and it arrived in much worse condition, the wing was brokened in two parts. I've glue back the pieces but the results aren't satisfactory, I'm considering take a second one. Unfortunally ost of my collection is still far from e in Italy, I cannot post pics now.
PT-TAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:13 PM   #18
Як-40 Капитан

LOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT-TAA View Post
I have the same model SQ 743 9V-SKN and it arrived in much worse condition, the wing was brokened in two parts. I've glue back the pieces but the results aren't satisfactory, I'm considering take a second one. Unfortunally ost of my collection is still far from e in Italy, I cannot post pics now.
When it comes models from this factory made between late 2002 and early 2003, I mean pretty much any of them, you may as well forget it if you don't want your model to literally rot away into dust within your life time. I don't know what time frame this model was made (aside from 2002), but I must say, if it's from the later part, it's part of what I like to call the Lancia Beta of the Diecast world. You may want to check up on that model more too, as since the last time you saw it, it could have gotten worse.

Your best bet for a Singapore 747-300 in 1:500 scale may as well be the herpa one from 2004.
LOT 737-300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2010, 01:15 AM   #19
Insane Lufthansa Fan

Swisshansa10 is getting startedSwisshansa10 is getting startedSwisshansa10 is getting startedSwisshansa10 is getting startedSwisshansa10 is getting started

This post should put the battle between Plastic and metal diecast to rest. Plastic does not rot, bubble or flake. It just yellows in direct sunlight which can be steered and handled.
Swisshansa10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:35 PM   #20
ATP Captain

Conventi is a legend of the hobbyConventi is a legend of the hobbyConventi is a legend of the hobbyConventi is a legend of the hobbyConventi is a legend of the hobbyConventi is a legend of the hobbyConventi is a legend of the hobbyConventi is a legend of the hobbyConventi is a legend of the hobbyConventi is a legend of the hobbyConventi is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swisshansa10 View Post
This post should put the battle between Plastic and metal diecast to rest. Plastic does not rot, bubble or flake. It just yellows in direct sunlight which can be steered and handled.
Yes but diecast models, if manufactured correctly with the right materials, and stored in the correct conditions, should be fine for decades to come. Im not really a fan of full-plastic models, I think most here are not. Besides, metal looks much better IMHO.
Conventi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:41 PM   #21
Red Eagles!

Flight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOT 737-300 View Post
Here is one that finally crumbled apart:
http://www.diecastaircraftforum.com/...tml#post817663
Oh, thats sad... Sad to see such a fine model in that state.
Flight fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:54 PM   #22
RJ Second Officer

pwceg is a good contributorpwceg is a good contributorpwceg is a good contributorpwceg is a good contributorpwceg is a good contributorpwceg is a good contributorpwceg is a good contributorpwceg is a good contributor

Hi All just checked,the BA world tails Big birds I think they will all go in time they have started to go on Wanula dreaming Whale rider so put them in the boxes and hope they survive. Herpas dont corrode.just the plastic discolours. Starjets seem to be the best for longevity
pwceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:02 PM   #23
RJ Second Officer

pwceg is a good contributorpwceg is a good contributorpwceg is a good contributorpwceg is a good contributorpwceg is a good contributorpwceg is a good contributorpwceg is a good contributorpwceg is a good contributor

Hi All just checked,the BA world tails Big birds I think they will all go in time they have started to go on Wanula dreaming Whale rider so put them in the boxes and hope they survive. Herpas dont corrode.just the plastic discolours. Starjets seem to be the best for longevity
Old 11-23-2010, 04:27 AM   #24
Just give me wings!

ALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobby

painfull images
ALEXAKOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:28 AM   #25
Admin

furryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobby

Help Please,

Guys i apologise if this has been covered but i'm suffering from severe sleep deprevation at the moment and genuinely struggling with the basics at the moment, so my thought patterns are up the left.

I have quite a few Big Bird 500 models, namely
British Airways 747's
British Airways/Airtours 707
Virgin Atlantic/Express 747/737
Anset 747's
UPS 747
Lufthansa 747

Most are up in the attic for storage.

Would any of your guys know if these models are possibly affect and would it be worth digging them out to give them the once over?

Cheers again
Old 11-24-2010, 06:33 PM   #26
RJ Second Officer

We dont know yet but I checked production dates I think the BA world tails definitely and Sq B747-312 but mines not affected yet. I think box them up and hope for the best. It seems its the b747 series mold I think .It has not affected smaller models.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:38 PM   #27
Puddle Jumper

Roland is flying under the radar

I'm very worried about this zinc rot.I'm fairly new to this hobby and one of my favourite models,the Lufthansa Expo 2000 Hannover has some bubbles near the cockpit.Can you confirm if this is zinc rot?
Attached Thumbnails
Report your zinc-rot affected models please!-lh-b747-007.jpg   Report your zinc-rot affected models please!-lh-b747-003.jpg  
Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:29 PM   #28
Senior Captain

Chrisvalla is a good contributorChrisvalla is a good contributorChrisvalla is a good contributorChrisvalla is a good contributorChrisvalla is a good contributorChrisvalla is a good contributorChrisvalla is a good contributorChrisvalla is a good contributorChrisvalla is a good contributorChrisvalla is a good contributor

That plane isn't part of the bad batch of metal so that would just be something else... maybe a bad paint job.

Here's some more pictures of the catestrophic nature of the rot. This particular plane has been kept in it's original box undisturbed and undisplayed for years, so there really isn't any hope for any plane having it of surviving intact: (these pics are courtesy of someone else who was... not expecting to find the model in such a poor condition)
Attached Thumbnails
Report your zinc-rot affected models please!-sq1.jpg   Report your zinc-rot affected models please!-sq2.jpg  

Last edited by Chrisvalla; 12-08-2010 at 11:31 PM.
Chrisvalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:16 AM   #29
Collector

PT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisvalla View Post
That plane isn't part of the bad batch of metal so that would just be something else... maybe a bad paint job.

Here's some more pictures of the catestrophic nature of the rot. This particular plane has been kept in it's original box undisturbed and undisplayed for years, so there really isn't any hope for any plane having it of surviving intact: (these pics are courtesy of someone else who was... not expecting to find the model in such a poor condition)
My 9V-SKN suffered quite the same damage, but on one wing only and it has broken in two parts! Actually it's more than one year the last time I've opened the box (I've moved to Brazil since then and 85% of my collection is still in Italy) and I don't know the actual state of the model.

However, it's interesting to notice that N121KG isn't affected, at least when I've seen it last time.

Last edited by PT-TAA; 12-09-2010 at 08:42 AM.
PT-TAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:43 AM   #30
RJ First Officer

Manu_o_K is appreciatedManu_o_K is appreciatedManu_o_K is appreciatedManu_o_K is appreciatedManu_o_K is appreciatedManu_o_K is appreciatedManu_o_K is appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swisshansa10 View Post
My DW Philippine Airlines A330-200 is badly affected by Zinc Rot. It has started bubbling etc.
Does anybody know the "degree of bubbling" - I mean, which one we should consider it as zinc rot indication and when it's just a minor paint defect ?
Manu_o_K is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: