Solar System, Deep Space, UFO... - Page 9 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Ground Control > General Squawk Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-01-2015, 03:40 PM   #121
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Re: Solar System, Deep Space, UFO...

Many kilometers before, Cassini probe done a fly-by through the geysers of water (salt water?) of Encelado, a moon of Saturn. Cassini discovered an ocean under the iced surface of the moon, and this because Encelado expels geysers from its surface, ice water that forms the E ring of Saturn. Cassini probe was rescheduled to fly through these geysers to know if they are made of salt water, and if there is a salt water ocean under the iced surface there could be life.
These the first images:

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2015, 04:36 PM   #122
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

The latest news and images for today are about Cerere, a dwarf planet. Dawn probe has produced wonderful images, finding a 18 x 5 km pyramid and many bright spots.

Charter airlines lover

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:19 PM   #123
Captain

bskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobby

Incredible photos. If only more people could see them and realise what we have here on Earth is so precious...instead of killing and arguing with one another all the time.
bskc8th is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2015, 05:54 PM   #124
Line Service Technician

Southwest&Blue is a legend of the hobbySouthwest&Blue is a legend of the hobbySouthwest&Blue is a legend of the hobbySouthwest&Blue is a legend of the hobbySouthwest&Blue is a legend of the hobbySouthwest&Blue is a legend of the hobbySouthwest&Blue is a legend of the hobbySouthwest&Blue is a legend of the hobbySouthwest&Blue is a legend of the hobbySouthwest&Blue is a legend of the hobbySouthwest&Blue is a legend of the hobby

How did I miss this thread?! I absolutely love space. It's crazy to think about. How it's endless. Everything here on Earth has a starting point and ending point, but space does not and that blows my mind.

I actually just bought tickets to go to the Kennedy Space Center in Florida in May right before I got on Wings.
Southwest&Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:06 PM   #125
Student pilot

Malefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dog

Ale, I will work for my studies in a Planetary Laboratory for one month (internship) in January. Did you hear about the recent discover of liquid water on Mars ? Two people of the team who managed the research were my teachers and they will be now my colleagues during my internship ! They showed me a project about the modelisation of Mars, with 3D surfaces and it's really amazing.
Quite like "The Martian" !
Old 11-02-2015, 01:48 PM   #126
The Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefiska View Post
Ale, I will work for my studies in a Planetary Laboratory for one month (internship) in January. Did you hear about the recent discover of liquid water on Mars ? Two people of the team who managed the research were my teachers and they will be now my colleagues during my internship ! They showed me a project about the modelisation of Mars, with 3D surfaces and it's really amazing.
Quite like "The Martian" !
Yes, probably under the surface of Mars there is a lot of liquid water. There are images of streams of water flowing from the dunes but for the low pressure it evaporates after a few seconds. The poles are formed by frozen carbon dioxide although probably in some canyons or within some deep craters there may be formations of ice water.

Even Europa should be a great surprise because it is about sure that under the ice surface there is a great water ocean.

I am also interested in Titan, the biggest Saturn moon: the surface is formed by many lakes of liquid methane but also here and in this conditions life, under the form of bacteria, could exist!

Charter airlines lover

Old 11-02-2015, 02:11 PM   #127
The Dark Side

My disappointment is about the lack of technology! Just a little excursion through history:
1903 first flight of Wright brothers
1969 man on the moon...
...66 years among a light and precarious aircraft and the landing of the man on another planet (satellite) out of the Earth atmosphere.
From 1969 to 2015 (46 years) what we had? The Space Shuttle, many probes, the ISS but what about the flights to other planets? I agree that in 1915-18 and in 1939-45 there have been two world wars, with a great leap forward in technology, but i expected the landing on Mars since 10/15 years. In 46 years of progress, from 1969 to 2015, we passed from the Moon to...nothing. There is something of strange. I expected Mars in the year 2000, then Europa (Jupiter system) and, why not, Encelado and Titano (Saturn system), passing through the asteroids belt among Mars and Jupiter. This is no science-fiction, the problem is that we already haven't a propulsion system allowing a spacecraft with astronauts inside to reach Mars, Jupiter and Saturn in few months. The fastest spacecraft is New Horizons, 60.000 km/h. The distances of the Solar System are not so prohibitive like the distance of the nearest star (Proxima Centauri) or the galaxy.
We are in 2015, 46 years after the moon landing, and we still did not reach Mars! The real problem is that we still don't have a real propulsion system to reach Mars in one month instead of six, or to protect the astronauts from the space radiations. Reaching Mars is a great project, but imagine to reach Encelado (and check the salt water under the surface), or Titano, or Europa.

Charter airlines lover

Old 11-02-2015, 03:31 PM   #128
Captain

bskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
We are in 2015, 46 years after the moon landing, and we still did not reach Mars! The real problem is that we still don't have a real propulsion system to reach Mars in one month instead of six, or to protect the astronauts from the space radiations.
I agree completely Charter. The space situation has been dull and lifeless since Apollo 17 left the moon in Dec 1972. If the Apollo Applications Program had been carried through then they were targeting a manned Venus flyby in 1974 and a manned Mars landing - using Saturn V and Apollo technology that already existed - by 1985.

The Saturn V could have orbited the basic ISS structure in one flight, rather than the myriad shuttle launches it took in reality. The shuttle was the biggest mistake NASA made, though with the way congress treated them they could do little else.

Sadly, I think man will never again expand his reach into space at the same level of vision and purpose.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:40 PM   #129
The Dark Side

And the very sad thing is that Shuttle (good or bad project it has been) wasn't replaced by a new spacecraft. It seems that while the Solar System is sharing its marvels, humanity is going back.

Charter airlines lover

Old 11-05-2015, 12:05 AM   #130
Як-40 Капитан

LOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobby

I wouldn't say that, I've personally seen the kind of research NASA is doing at KSC back in March. A lot of what they do involves Lunar Regolith, how to use it, and how to clear it off of vehicles and such. Heck, the room where they trained the Apollo astronauts that once held the Simulators is mostly dedicated to that as part of NASA Swampworks. They even have a giant enclosed "Sandbox" (for lack of better term) full of Regolith to test out rovers in.

From what I've seen, they're planning to go somewhere, or at least set up the means for someone to go somewhere. The nice thing about NASA is that their mission statement is to first be for the peaceful benefit of mankind. They don't even sell the patents for things they develop, people just have to ask! So if all the research they're doing doesn't end up being used by them directly, one of the private industry people likely can easily find a use for it!
LOT 737-300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 02:23 AM   #131
Senior Captain

Speedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobby

When I heard about the constellation project in my youth, I was filled with images of seeing man land on the moon, maybe even showing my kids! Then, when Obama canceled it, my dreams were crushed. Now, the space shuttle is gone and what do we have? NOTHING! Just an obscure money wasting "Orion" project, with no real goals and a u overkill modern Saturn 5 that could have great potential but as of now has NO designated mission! I am not interested in colonizing before exploration! Mars One is ridiculous! We spent too much on unnecessary wars, and many other useless services. While we SHOULD be using that money for MUCH more important things such as the FDA, health care, and scientific research!
Old 11-06-2015, 04:02 AM   #132
Як-40 Капитан

LOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird 48 View Post
When I heard about the constellation project in my youth, I was filled with images of seeing man land on the moon, maybe even showing my kids! Then, when Obama canceled it, my dreams were crushed. Now, the space shuttle is gone and what do we have? NOTHING! Just an obscure money wasting "Orion" project, with no real goals and a u overkill modern Saturn 5 that could have great potential but as of now has NO designated mission! I am not interested in colonizing before exploration! Mars One is ridiculous! We spent too much on unnecessary wars, and many other useless services. While we SHOULD be using that money for MUCH more important things such as the FDA, health care, and scientific research!
When we had Kennedy Space Center Director Bob Cabana come by campus last year when SEDS UCF invited him to speak, he showed us some of the stuff going on. Part of this was the new launch platform that is supposed to be used called the SLS is pretty nice, and they're remodeling the VAB at the cape for it! It's a pretty badass rocket. If they do well, maybe the missions will become designated, and we'll get to see more produced (rockets are expensive to produce, and you usually make them well ahead of time). In fact, one of the head engineers at LSP when we were there on our tour told us that they literally spend at least 2 years planning a specific launch.

On the Orion. Yes, not as glorious as the shuttle in my opinion. But it seems promising as a vehicle that NASA can use, especially cause I think most Americans would want NASA using something from the US and not Roskosmos for their launch.

And yes, Mars One is a scam. A big big scam.... Everyone even related to the Aerospace Engineering field, even a clueless freshman is so aware of this.

Anyways, reread my post above, reread them and think about what I said. Your dreams might not be as shattered as you think they are!
Old 11-06-2015, 05:31 AM   #133
Captain

SLS looks a great machine, but the sad thing is it needn't have been designed at all. If Nixon and the anti-Apollo gang had been a little less ruthless back in the 70's, uprated and re-engineered Saturn V's could still be doing the job today.

Instead Mondale and his cronies recommended complete destruction of the blueprints and now most of the original engineers are too old to remember details or have passed away.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:14 PM   #134
Як-40 Капитан

Quote:
Originally Posted by bskc8th View Post
SLS looks a great machine, but the sad thing is it needn't have been designed at all. If Nixon and the anti-Apollo gang had been a little less ruthless back in the 70's, uprated and re-engineered Saturn V's could still be doing the job today.

Instead Mondale and his cronies recommended complete destruction of the blueprints and now most of the original engineers are too old to remember details or have passed away.
Unfortunately, this isn't anything new, and even continues to this day. A lot of buddies and I are a little cautious on this upcoming election cycle for president, as basically all the candidates seem to be the types that would cut NASA funding if they had to. To truncate a long rant on how data is manipulated to appear thousands of times higher than they actually are and such, politicians can be the ultimate pain in the ***.

Anyways, the real problem would be the tooling. It has been simply destroyed. Sadly, this sort of thing happens everywhere typically in manufacturing.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:06 AM   #135
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOT 737-300 View Post
Unfortunately, this isn't anything new, and even continues to this day. A lot of buddies and I are a little cautious on this upcoming election cycle for president, as basically all the candidates seem to be the types that would cut NASA funding if they had to. To truncate a long rant on how data is manipulated to appear thousands of times higher than they actually are and such, politicians can be the ultimate pain in the ***.

Anyways, the real problem would be the tooling. It has been simply destroyed. Sadly, this sort of thing happens everywhere typically in manufacturing.
It's such a shame. I met Jim Lovell (Apollo 13 Commander for the uninitiated) last weekend and he was such an interesting and friendly guy. The dedication of those astronauts and their faith in their leaders seems a million miles away from how the space program is conducted in 2015.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: