Solar System, Deep Space, UFO... - Page 10 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Ground Control > General Squawk Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-08-2015, 03:06 PM   #136
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Re: Solar System, Deep Space, UFO...

July 8th 2011, the last flight of Space Shuttle. I still can't believe USA haven't already developed a replacement for their best product after Apollo 11 missile.
Orion project is the development of Constellation project, and it is a less expensive way to reach ISS, moon orbit and the exploration of some asteroids. According to NASA Orion will be also used for the exploration of Mars with a human crew. Orion uses an Ares or Delta missile for the launch.
What i say is that we are back at least ten years on space exploration: the International Space Station is not able to "build" a spaceship in orbit (to save money and material), while a moon base on the moon (not like Space 1999, of course, but something smaller) would have been a normal development of the end of Apollo project, a base 360.000 kms from the Earth.
There is an Italian physicyst, Carlo Rubbia (a nobel prize) that developed a ion engine using the Americium-242, a pulse motor able to reach Mars in just 45 days. ESA (European Space Administration) and NASA are still trying to find a good system to use this kind of engine for the exploration of the Solar System, even with a human crew.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2015, 04:03 PM   #137
Captain

bskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
What i say is that we are back at least ten years on space exploration: the International Space Station is not able to "build" a spaceship in orbit (to save money and material), while a moon base on the moon (not like Space 1999, of course, but something smaller) would have been a normal development of the end of Apollo project, a base 360.000 kms from the Earth.
There is an Italian physicyst, Carlo Rubbia (a nobel prize) that developed a ion engine using the Americium-242, a pulse motor able to reach Mars in just 45 days. ESA (European Space Administration) and NASA are still trying to find a good system to use this kind of engine for the exploration of the Solar System, even with a human crew.
I think it's worse than that Charter. Much worse. Apollo sucked in 5% of the federal budget annually between 1963 and 1969. Even at 2.5% of the federal budget, or between 1% and 2% would have been enough to continue Apollo Applications Projects throughout the 1970's and 1980's. Indeed AAP had enough on the table to keep Saturn V's flying well into the 1990's.

The sad truth is we are about 35-40 years behind where we should be. NASA isn't expecting to fly the first manned Orion flight until 2023 - 9 years after the first flight test. Even worse, Mars - at current rates of flight testing - is a good 30 years away. Marry to that delays in obtaining funding, changes in administration and government policy and you can tag an extra 20-25 years on that. That would put humans on Mars in about 2070. I'm 23 years old - I don't expect to see humans walk on Mars in my lifetime.

The pulse engines you speak of are certainly the way forward, but NASA pursues developing a Saturn V replacement using the same - sadly redundant - technology. In effect, we are still using the Ford Model T of spacecraft 55 years after we started spaceflight. Having said that, I adore the Saturn V!
bskc8th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:15 PM   #138
Як-40 Капитан

LOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
July 8th 2011, the last flight of Space Shuttle. I still can't believe USA haven't already developed a replacement for their best product after Apollo 11 missile.
Orion project is the development of Constellation project, and it is a less expensive way to reach ISS, moon orbit and the exploration of some asteroids. According to NASA Orion will be also used for the exploration of Mars with a human crew. Orion uses an Ares or Delta missile for the launch.
Let's not forget, it was almost 6 years between Apollo and the Shuttle, during then, the US had no manned Space Flight! So sometimes, pauses like this also happen.

Orion also is to use the SLS as a launch platform as well. Interesting fact is, Orion was made jointly with some help from Europe, and with that, Airbus is also making them for ESA too!

There were also some socioeconomic issues as well;

You should have seen the results of the end of the shuttle program over at Brevard County (where KSC is located). Apparently a lot of United Space Alliance (The contractor that worked on the shuttle) folk thought their jobs would be safe and the end wasn't going to be as quick as it was. After that, tons of Dually pickups and boats were on the side of the road with "For Sale" signs on them and the foreclosure rate was very high. The domestic violence rate also skyrocketed there too. Now with the private firms moving down here, things are getting better. The cape is getting a much needed rebuilding of the structures (a lot of it is literally rusting away).

I do think things are looking better for the space program now than 5 years ago. Maybe the political situation helped that, especially when those who were foaming at the mouth wanting to do away with NASA completely realized they were being eclipsed by the likes of Roskosmos and CNSA and risked having their votes lost from their constituents (also the group begging to do away with NASA). Also another benefit of the private firms is that they have less bureaucracy to launch!

While it is unmanned, the USAF does have this awesome little guy that goes off from the Cape every so often doing god knows what.:

It is a shame Sierra Nevada didn't win the competition for a contract to ISS flights (Boeing and SpaceX did, for the CST-100 and Dragon capsules). It would have been nice to see another spaceplane again:

They are supposedly planning to do a test launch in 2016, and still seem to be doing things according to their website.

Also makes me reflect on a thought that a majority of my Aerospace Engineering Colleagues and I think when we think about it. It's time to bring back the worm logo. Maybe things will work better then.
LOT 737-300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2015, 11:02 AM   #139
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

A new photo of Pluto from New Horizons:

Charter airlines lover

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:34 AM   #140
The Dark Side

One of the most beautiful, romantic and important (to understand how fragile and little we are compared to the Universe) photos of the Earth, taken from Voyager 2 probe leaving the Solar System, at a distance of 6 billion km, and explicitly requested by the great scientist, writer and visionary Carl Sagan:

Charter airlines lover

Old 12-19-2015, 08:18 AM   #141
Captain

bskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobby

The Voyager photo never ceases to amaze me. Insanity when you think we fight and kill one another in wars over land, religion, politics.

On the subject of amazing photos, here's a painting. On the trans-Earth coast of Apollo 15, Al Worden became the first astronaut in history to perform a deep-space EVA when he retreived film canisters from the CSM SIM Bay. The SIM bay was not part of the earlier Apollo missions and was only part of the last three 'J-Class' missions, Apollo 15, 16 and 17. Consequently, Worden, Ken Mattingly and Ron Evans remain the only three men ever to perform deep-space EVA's.

Worden was not allowed to take a camera with him when he performed his EVA, but found himself spell-bound by the sight of Jim Irwin stood in the hatch with the Moon looming behind him. Once back on Earth, he commissioned a painting to immortalise the event. Jim Irwin sadly suffered serious heart damage because of his work and became the first of the 12 men who've walked on the Moon to die, in 1991.

bskc8th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:50 PM   #142
The Dark Side

While a terrible earthquake has devastating the central part of my country, i want to imagine there are possibilities of life in some planets and or satellites of our beautiful Solar System.

Mars

This is Mars, the fourth planet of the Solar system after Mercury, Venus, Earth, and the last rocky planet before the giant gaseous planets (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune).
The latest news say that NASA is testing the engine (Rs-25) of the rocket that will bring the astronauts at Mars in 2030; the missile will be the Sls (Space Launch System) where the spacecraft (maybe Orion) will be the way to arrive to the planet. Sls will be 111 meters high and will have four engines.
Why this planet could have life? Because in the past it was similar to the Earth, with a big ocean, an atmosphere allowing water to form and some rivers that reshaped the surface; then a catastrophic impact with an asteroid caused the loss of the atmosphere, water evaporated and Mars become a cold, arid and dead planet. Now the temperature goes from hundreds of degrees under zero until 27/30 degrees (Celsius), there is frozen water (and carbon dioxide) at the poles, liquid water some meters under the soil (in fact not it is sure that sometimes, during spring and summer time of the planet, some water rivers are flowing on the surface before to evaporate and frozen). Mars is the most probable place where to live out of Earth, checking the temperature, the pressure and the atmosphere. Scientists are thinking to possible bacteria living under the surface, or probable fossil of a very ancient life.

Europe
Europe is one of the four Galilean moons of Jupiter, and this satellite is the most important place where the scientists could find an alien life. Europa has a very interesting surface similar to thousand of small icebergs moving and crashing over something that could be a salted water ocean! In fact from the surface there are several water plumes, expelled from the ocean dozens of km under the surface. Europa should be formed by a iced surface, then ice, then a deep salted water ocean where the temperature could reach also 27/30 Celsius degrees, a great place where life could live!
One of the next NASA/ESA mission will be a spacecraft landing on Europa, pierce the surface until arriving to the ocean and releasing a small submarine exploring it.

Titan
The biggest moon of Saturn and one of the biggest moons of the Solar System.
Which are the features of this moon and why it is so interesting for the scientists? Because it has a very articolated atmosphere, liquid methan lakes (the only place in the Solar System, along with the Earth, where there are lake of liquid material...on the Earth water, on Titan methane because the temperature is hundreds degrees under zero) and a solid surface. The atmosphere of this planet is very, very similar to the Earth at the dawn of the planet, where some bacteria where living also if the conditions were prohibitive for the humans. So the scientists think that life could be possible on this moon, even because in our planet there are many species of bacteria living on and thanks to methane, and forming methane thanks to their " anaerobic bacterial digestion".

Enceladus
This is a very small moon of Saturn with a great secret: a deep, salted water ocean under the surface! Cassini probe photographed water plumes expelled from the surface, water that is aprt of an ocean where life could be possible.

Charter airlines lover

Old 08-24-2016, 09:21 PM   #143
Senior Captain

Speedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MmWeZHsQzs

These are a collection of sounds taken of planets and objects around the sun. listening to this right now, and I am shaking. They are so powerful
Old 08-25-2016, 03:07 PM   #144
The Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird 48 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MmWeZHsQzs

These are a collection of sounds taken of planets and objects around the sun. listening to this right now, and I am shaking. They are so powerful
Beautiful alien noises that fascinate and scare.

Charter airlines lover

Old 08-25-2016, 03:54 PM   #145
RJ First Officer

FlyingFan1 is a diecast iconFlyingFan1 is a diecast iconFlyingFan1 is a diecast iconFlyingFan1 is a diecast iconFlyingFan1 is a diecast iconFlyingFan1 is a diecast iconFlyingFan1 is a diecast iconFlyingFan1 is a diecast iconFlyingFan1 is a diecast iconFlyingFan1 is a diecast iconFlyingFan1 is a diecast icon

Quote:
Beautiful alien noises that fascinate and scare.
That's right! Some of them also sounds like the music of a horror movie. The sound of Uranus is funny, it sounds like planes landing and taking off

And it's interesting that you talked about living on Mars because today I've watched the move "The Martian" with Matt Damon surviving on it for a year, he planted his own potatoes and ate them every day (I was sad when he ran out of Ketchup ) just as I do for three days now, but I still have Ketchup
I find it interesting to know how we can survive on Mars and basically have fun there, well eating only potatoes with Ketchup isn't fun, of course you can slice them into cubes or stripes or eat them raw, with skin or without.. .
And in my opinion the best moment is when China is helping the NASA after their rocket exploded, just to save Matt Damon from dying. That is what I call solidarity.
I hope i haven't spoiled anything to somebody, but this a very good example to how we can survive on Mars an our own if we know how to do it.

(I know my post would be half the size if I would've left the part with potatoes with Ketchup out..)
FlyingFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:26 PM   #146
The Dark Side

I don't believe in this announce: Obama said that in 2030 the first mission to Mars will land the planet, scientists continue to repeat that we still don't have the right technology.
Barack Obama: America will take the giant leap to Mars - CNN.com

US Will Send People to Mars by 2030s, Barack Obama Says

Obama wants to send humans to Mars by the 2030s with NASA ...

Charter airlines lover

Old 10-12-2016, 06:26 AM   #147
Captain

Quote:
I don't believe in this announce: Obama said that in 2030 the first mission to Mars will land the planet, scientists continue to repeat that we still don't have the right technology.
Barack Obama: America will take the giant leap to Mars - CNN.com

US Will Send People to Mars by 2030s, Barack Obama Says

Obama wants to send humans to Mars by the 2030s with NASA ...
Mars could have been reached in the 80's if the Nixon administration had not cut Apollo Applications project funding. Originally it envisaged post-moon landing objectives like a space station (which became Skylab), a lunar base and a manned flyby of Venus; all leading to a manned Mars landing sometime around 1986/1987 on original projections. Though, given the likelihood of delays because of an inevitable accident 'a la' Apollo 1 or Apollo 13, it would probably have taken until the early/mid 1990's to put footprints on Mars. That's not to say all the problems with regard to astronaut health would have been solved and the equipment would have been upgraded/bastardised Apollo lunar hardware.

Constellation may - and I emphasise the 'may' - have had us on the Moon by 2015 and Mars by 2025 if it had run its course from 2004 out. However, SLS is proceeding at such a slow pace (one mission every 3.5-4 years as opposed to 1 Apollo flight every 4 or 5 months) that it is not going to result in a Mars landing this side of 2050. I firmly believe that. If Trump becomes President it's likely NASA will suffer as despite all his 'Make American Great again' rhetoric he is not a fan of the space program (the single biggest thing that stands as a monumental American achievement in the eyes of the rest of the world).

In my mind the Chinese might land a Taikonaut or two on the Moon by 2035 but it will be a one shot, prestige mission while robots commence their mining ambitions. The Russians will struggle to replace Soyuz but under Putin maintain a space program in Earth orbit for prestige also, while the US course of action will be slow as evidenced but might result in a Martian landing in the next 50 years or so. However, I am convinced we will reach July 20th 2069 without any American astronaut standing on the Moon since Apollo 17 returned in Dec 1972.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:32 PM   #148
The Dark Side

Dear friend, even before the problem of "lack of technology", there is the human factor: six months of journey in the deep space, then at least one month on the planet, then other six months coming back to the Earth. We simply can't resist: twelve month (excluding the stay on the planet) closed in a small habitat, very far from the Earth; radiations, lack of water, food and oxygen if something of hydroponics doesn't work (of course the crew can't have ready food and water for 12 + 1 months!), madness and even dementia for the extended stay in a narrow environment in contact always with the same people (as there can be harmony in the first days of trip), bone problems for the little gravity...
Too many problems. If someone will not find the way to arrive to Mars in a month or less, i don't think we could reach the planet.

Charter airlines lover

Old 10-12-2016, 04:41 PM   #149
Captain

This is true Charter, but it could have been done in the 90's. If research had kept pace with the hardware developments, the problems would have been solved one way or the other I am confident of that. The single biggest problem with the death of Apollo was the fact the 'brains' who did it then left the industry because there was nothing to do except the Shuttle. It's much harder to begin again 'from scratch' than it would be with a continuity of tooling, expertise and hardware.

And if you were willing to sacrifice an astronaut you could go to Mars within the next year or so. But clearly that is not an option! However what you say is right, there needs to be some serious consideration of alternative power sources. Nuclear pulse propulsion is the first step, then we can build toward 'Star Trek' style warp capability whatever form that takes. Right now that is pie in the sky but nuclear pulse could be done in a relatively short space of time (40-50 years).
Old 09-15-2017, 03:52 PM   #150
The Dark Side

End of life for Cassini probe: after 13 years around Saturn system and 20 years in general (adding the trip from Earth), this afternoon the probe has been launched inside Saturn atmosphere being destroyed after few minutes. Why? Because Saturn planet system has two satellites where life could exist: Enceladus and Titan and, because of this, scientists avoided the probe crash on one of these two satellites.
Here some of the latest pics from Cassini before its destruction:

Pan moon

Charter airlines lover

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: