Flying - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Ground Control > General Squawk Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-08-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
Earning My Wings

Piper is flying under the radar
Flying

How may people are flying or soon to be flying, and which airline do you fly or want to fly for. I ask because I'm going to start my training next year.
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2010, 11:08 AM   #2
The Lead Solo

Blue Angel No.5 is a good contributorBlue Angel No.5 is a good contributorBlue Angel No.5 is a good contributorBlue Angel No.5 is a good contributorBlue Angel No.5 is a good contributorBlue Angel No.5 is a good contributorBlue Angel No.5 is a good contributorBlue Angel No.5 is a good contributorBlue Angel No.5 is a good contributorBlue Angel No.5 is a good contributorBlue Angel No.5 is a good contributor
Re: Flying

Hi Piper! Welcome to the forums! I am in the process of pursuing a PPL in the near future. I am presently reading books and receiving mentoring from a couple friends who are pilots. I hope I can attend ATP.

I have gone on a couple flights with my friends who are pilots. The support is amazing! learning something new every day!

My good friend shared with me, a quote from Leonard da Vinci about flying. I promise you, its very true! and since then, I have held very dear to me.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return -Leonardo da Vinci

Last edited by Blue Angel No.5; 04-09-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Blue Angel No.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
RJ First Officer

sla31 is flying under the radarsla31 is flying under the radar

I have my Private Pilots License! So I don't fly for a airline lol. But I fly.

www.modelairplanecollectors.com
sla31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
First Officer

jwalters692005 is a diecast iconjwalters692005 is a diecast iconjwalters692005 is a diecast iconjwalters692005 is a diecast iconjwalters692005 is a diecast iconjwalters692005 is a diecast iconjwalters692005 is a diecast iconjwalters692005 is a diecast iconjwalters692005 is a diecast iconjwalters692005 is a diecast iconjwalters692005 is a diecast icon

Im hoping to be attending Kansas State University at Salina this fall or next spring for a bachelor's degree in their professional pilot courses. After all that, I would love to someday fly for United Airlines.
jwalters692005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:48 PM   #5
ZNY Controller Trainee

SouthwestAirlines is a top dogSouthwestAirlines is a top dogSouthwestAirlines is a top dogSouthwestAirlines is a top dogSouthwestAirlines is a top dogSouthwestAirlines is a top dogSouthwestAirlines is a top dogSouthwestAirlines is a top dogSouthwestAirlines is a top dogSouthwestAirlines is a top dogSouthwestAirlines is a top dog

I'm actually looking for an instructor right now so I can get my private pilot license this summer.
Frank Luke Jr. International
SouthwestAirlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:08 PM   #6
Aircraft Technician

CcrlR737pilot is appreciatedCcrlR737pilot is appreciatedCcrlR737pilot is appreciatedCcrlR737pilot is appreciatedCcrlR737pilot is appreciatedCcrlR737pilot is appreciatedCcrlR737pilot is appreciated

I am a student pilot working to get my private. I found another job and had to put flying on hold until I get settled. Stopped at 65 hours with experience in Piper Cherokee and Arrow, and the Cessna 152 and 172. I plan to get back in after I start my new job. I just have to talk to the FBO I go to and meet up with my instructor. I don't plan to fly for any airline I just want to get it for fun and experience which will work with my job too. Someone has to taxi the planes!

Once you get in, you get hooked!
Old 04-10-2010, 12:37 AM   #7
RJ First Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalters692005 View Post
Im hoping to be attending Kansas State University at Salina this fall or next spring for a bachelor's degree in their professional pilot courses. After all that, I would love to someday fly for United Airlines.
Hey! That's where I got my private at! Then I decided to go into airport management!!!

This is what you get on your first solo.

----

I didn't fly these lol.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:09 AM   #8
First Officer

jwalters692005 is a diecast iconjwalters692005 is a diecast iconjwalters692005 is a diecast iconjwalters692005 is a diecast iconjwalters692005 is a diecast iconjwalters692005 is a diecast iconjwalters692005 is a diecast iconjwalters692005 is a diecast iconjwalters692005 is a diecast iconjwalters692005 is a diecast iconjwalters692005 is a diecast icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sla31 View Post
Hey! That's where I got my private at! Then I decided to go into airport management!!!

This is what you get on your first solo.

----

I didn't fly these lol.

Did you do the cross country? if so where to?
Old 04-10-2010, 09:53 AM   #9
RJ First Officer

Yeah, you have to do several cross countries to get your private. I don't remember off the top of my head how many, but you have to do a couple with an instructor then you have to do a big one by yourself. I flew my first cross country with my instructor from Salina (SLN) to Oswego (K67). Then I did a night cross country from Salina (SLN) to Phillipsburg (PHG), again with my instructor. Then you have to do a cross country into class C or B airspace. Salina is class D, Wichita is class C, and Kansa City is class B so I flew from Salina (SLN) to Wichita's Mid Continent (ICT) with my instructor. Then you do your solo cross country. Which has to be three legs, and three different airports. So I went from Salina (SLN) to Hays (HYS) to Great Bend (GBD) back to Salina (SLN), and that was solo. I think that's all the cross countries I did to get my license. I'd have to look at my logbook to be sure.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:01 AM   #10
RJ First Officer

The picture of me getting out of the plane, and the one below it were both taken on my first cross country to Oswego. That was one thing I really liked about the school. When it came to the flying part they were pretty open to letting you do what you wanted. Salina to Oswego was almost a 2 hour flight in the 172. Which was pretty long for a first cross country. But I'm from Oswego and right about the same time I needed to do my first cross country my hometown airport was having their annual fly in. So I told my instructor I wanted to fly down there for my first cross country, and he was like, "ok!" So we did.

Now you only go through with those few cross countries. But after you do your first cross country you pretty much plan for a cross country every time. Now that's no fun. Planning a cross country for every flight when you know your not going to do it, and they make you do it all by hand in case someday you don't have a nifty computer to do it all for you. But they just want you to practice, and it helps you learn things.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:30 PM   #11
First Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sla31 View Post
The picture of me getting out of the plane, and the one below it were both taken on my first cross country to Oswego. That was one thing I really liked about the school. When it came to the flying part they were pretty open to letting you do what you wanted. Salina to Oswego was almost a 2 hour flight in the 172. Which was pretty long for a first cross country. But I'm from Oswego and right about the same time I needed to do my first cross country my hometown airport was having their annual fly in. So I told my instructor I wanted to fly down there for my first cross country, and he was like, "ok!" So we did.

Now you only go through with those few cross countries. But after you do your first cross country you pretty much plan for a cross country every time. Now that's no fun. Planning a cross country for every flight when you know your not going to do it, and they make you do it all by hand in case someday you don't have a nifty computer to do it all for you. But they just want you to practice, and it helps you learn things.
I cant wait to get started at K-State! the only thing Im not so thrilled about is all the math cl*****, cause I have never been good at math, and in high school I some how graduated without taking even algebra or geometry
Old 04-10-2010, 07:39 PM   #12
RJ First Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalters692005 View Post
I cant wait to get started at K-State! the only thing Im not so thrilled about is all the math cl*****, cause I have never been good at math, and in high school I some how graduated without taking even algebra or geometry
Oh I'm not good at math either. One word of advise that should help you. Do not take any math class from Kendal Griggs. I don't know if he still teaches there or not since he was getting pretty old, but he was not a good math teacher. Hope that helps. Good luck with your schooling though. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I know I did. I just decided to go a different direction.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: