OPENING A THREAD - which themes? - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Ground Control > General Squawk Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-30-2009, 03:00 AM   #1
Trijets Lover

Ferihegy is a good contributorFerihegy is a good contributorFerihegy is a good contributorFerihegy is a good contributorFerihegy is a good contributorFerihegy is a good contributorFerihegy is a good contributorFerihegy is a good contributorFerihegy is a good contributorFerihegy is a good contributorFerihegy is a good contributor
Exclamation OPENING A THREAD - which themes?

Hi guys!

I know we are in the "GENERAL SQUAWK TALK"-section, but PLEASE think about it: this is a MODEL AIRPLANE FORUM!!!!!!

You can often find and read threads like Charlie Sheen's has orgasm problems, which is your prefered pencil, Britney Spears has hanging ****...

Are these AVIATION-RELATED threads? Are these threads INTERESTING? Who cares about these boulevard informations?

Please be so kind and RETHINK if you are starting an unimportant topic, because it's more work for us moderators to calming people down after, and most people aren't really interested.

THANKS!
Chris
Ferihegy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2009, 03:42 AM   #2
I want a Gulfstream V

QF A380 is getting startedQF A380 is getting startedQF A380 is getting startedQF A380 is getting started
Re: OPENING A THREAD - which themes?

Not meaning to upset anyone but general means just that, general. The mods can delete anything that is way out of line but I don't think complaints should be made about the topics posted in a general forum.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:29 AM   #3
Tourist Guide

CO777 is an excellent contributorCO777 is an excellent contributorCO777 is an excellent contributorCO777 is an excellent contributorCO777 is an excellent contributorCO777 is an excellent contributorCO777 is an excellent contributorCO777 is an excellent contributorCO777 is an excellent contributorCO777 is an excellent contributorCO777 is an excellent contributor

Chris is right. People should think twice about starting a new thread. We don't need to talk about every bull**** which is released by the medias.
CO777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2009, 07:58 AM   #4
I want a Gulfstream V

QF A380 is getting startedQF A380 is getting startedQF A380 is getting startedQF A380 is getting started

What is the point of a general forum if you can't talk about what you want? If you don't like the title of a thread don't read it.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:23 AM   #5
Admin

furryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobby

I can see both points of view. Perhaps in some future update we can have the BS section for stuff about Mr Sheens orgasms.

Whilst we all share a love of aviation, and these threads brings us together, we naturally digress. I for one think that i've gained a lot from these digressions.

One example of an amazing thread that i look forward to is Wahoo's winter wonderland. Very little to do with aviation, but it has always been a popular thread.

Just my tupence
Old 12-30-2009, 08:29 AM   #6
I want a Gulfstream V

Well said furryforest.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:37 AM   #7
The Fourth Cycle

koukuugaisha is a good contributorkoukuugaisha is a good contributorkoukuugaisha is a good contributorkoukuugaisha is a good contributorkoukuugaisha is a good contributorkoukuugaisha is a good contributorkoukuugaisha is a good contributorkoukuugaisha is a good contributorkoukuugaisha is a good contributorkoukuugaisha is a good contributorkoukuugaisha is a good contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryforest View Post
I can see both points of view. Perhaps in some future update we can have the BS section for stuff about Mr Sheens orgasms.

Whilst we all share a love of aviation, and these threads brings us together, we naturally digress. I for one think that i've gained a lot from these digressions.

One example of an amazing thread that i look forward to is Wahoo's winter wonderland. Very little to do with aviation, but it has always been a popular thread.

Just my tupence
And I thought that was the whole point of Vintage Wings.

Go there and count the non-aviation-related stuff posted. Sure the majority are related to aviation but, you get a good deal more talk there about lips, orgasms and stag ideas.

Then again, this only proves the point I said when this forum began worshipping little green dots - many times, the quality of post here on this forum is not necessarily related to the quality of information posted, but rather to the popularity or rank of the member posting the info or BS. Older members and forum gods can always get away with most anything. Lesser members can only be sorry.

If anyone wants to moderate content, then the WHOLE site has to be CONSISTENT. Otherwise, this is just turning into one BIG FARCE.

So martial law it is...but mods please be consistent. No nepotism this time around.
koukuugaisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:38 AM   #8
ATP Captain

matt109 is a legend of the hobbymatt109 is a legend of the hobbymatt109 is a legend of the hobbymatt109 is a legend of the hobbymatt109 is a legend of the hobbymatt109 is a legend of the hobbymatt109 is a legend of the hobbymatt109 is a legend of the hobbymatt109 is a legend of the hobbymatt109 is a legend of the hobbymatt109 is a legend of the hobby

How about you make a completely new section in the forum that is for completely unrelated topics, which may include subject not at all related to aviation?
'General Squawk Talk' actually sounds like it is aviation related, but what about.. another one named.. I don't know: 'Blah Blah Blah!'.
In 'Blah Blah Blah!' you can put anything, read at your own risk, and get bullied at your own risk for what you post..

I tend to agree with Chris.. but hey

For Sale | My Collection
matt109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:41 AM   #9
Admin

furryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by koukuugaisha View Post

Go there and count the non-aviation-related stuff posted. Sure the majority are related to aviation but, you get a good deal more talk there about lips, orgasms and stag ideas.

Then again, this only proves the point I said when this forum began worshipping little green dots - many times, the quality of post here on this forum is not necessarily related to the quality of information posted, but rather to the popularity or rank of the member posting the info or BS. Older members and forum gods can always get away with most anything. Lesser members can only be sorry.

If anyone wants to moderate content, then the WHOLE site has to be CONSISTENT. Otherwise, this is just turning into one BIG FARCE.

So martial law it is...but mods please be consistent. No nepotism this time around.
Some great points as always. The only problem with vintage wings is its 21 (i think) and above. Cuts out a broad section of the members who may want to post and partake in a non aviation related theme

EDIT: Older members don't always get away with stuff-see Doc's thread on hosties-he mentions being rebuked for his Oktoberfest thread (another great thread we'd miss out on if we stuck to aviation)

Last edited by furryforest; 12-30-2009 at 08:50 AM.
furryforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:06 AM   #10
Trijets Lover

Ferihegy is a good contributorFerihegy is a good contributorFerihegy is a good contributorFerihegy is a good contributorFerihegy is a good contributorFerihegy is a good contributorFerihegy is a good contributorFerihegy is a good contributorFerihegy is a good contributorFerihegy is a good contributorFerihegy is a good contributor

Guys, let me explain what I mean.

I know it's a "General Talk" Section. And we can talk about almost everything. BUT: if you post a thread, rethink twice if this topic is really of importance!!
I (and other members) don't want to see unimportant topics which I've described a few postings above.
Let's stay somewhere between aviation and real life, you can post everything in between, but make a fullstop by posting unimportant things.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:51 AM   #11
RJ Captain

SalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferihegy View Post
Guys, let me explain what I mean.

I know it's a "General Talk" Section. And we can talk about almost everything. BUT: if you post a thread, rethink twice if this topic is really of importance!!
I (and other members) don't want to see unimportant topics which I've described a few postings above.
Let's stay somewhere between aviation and real life, you can post everything in between, but make a fullstop by posting unimportant things.
And what is the technical definition of unimportant? We are not drones with the same lives and aspirations. What may be significant to you may be unimportant to me.

If you really want to push it, then I agree with what has already been said - censor everything that is not related to aviation. Only aviation-related posts on ALL boards from now on, except on the soon-to-be-created-BS board. Because frankly, there are 40,075,035.535 topics between aviation and real life - that's enough mileage to circle the equator and be back the same spot we started.
SalmonellaMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:56 AM   #12
msn37709

RP-C7777 is a good contributorRP-C7777 is a good contributorRP-C7777 is a good contributorRP-C7777 is a good contributorRP-C7777 is a good contributorRP-C7777 is a good contributorRP-C7777 is a good contributorRP-C7777 is a good contributorRP-C7777 is a good contributorRP-C7777 is a good contributor

A few months back, people were extolling the virtues of the "rate the thread" and "green dots" functions. They claimed it will bring us closer to a utopian society. Whatever happened to those functions? Have people gotten tired of it that they are not using it anymore to sanction errant posts?
Old 12-30-2009, 10:30 AM   #13
Trijets Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonellaMD View Post
And what is the technical definition of unimportant? We are not drones with the same lives and aspirations. What may be significant to you may be unimportant to me.

If you really want to push it, then I agree with what has already been said - censor everything that is not related to aviation. Only aviation-related posts on ALL boards from now on, except on the soon-to-be-created-BS board. Because frankly, there are 40,075,035.535 topics between aviation and real life - that's enough mileage to circle the equator and be back the same spot we started.
Come on, you don't need a technical definition for what is important or what is not. Important is probably not the right word for it, but you can easily see which topics are good, funny, exciting, and which are not.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:05 PM   #14
Як-40 Капитан

LOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by QF A380 View Post
Not meaning to upset anyone but general means just that, general. The mods can delete anything that is way out of line but I don't think complaints should be made about the topics posted in a general forum.
I agree, this topic has come up time and time again, and quite honestly, I can't figure out why people get upset about it. This section is more about Off Topic post (as the description says). While I don't care much about Celebrity gossip, I guess if any section, this would be ok. Afterall, we already do have sections relating to actual 1:1 scale aviation, and by the description of General Squawk Talk does allow for OT thing to be posted:
Quote:
General collecting and OT topics go here...Questions regarding the website are answered by administrators.
So if I wanted to let's say, my trains, or post about our pets, or talk about how I converted my car to have tank tracks and a turret on top, I think this would be the ideal section. Though I would guess, thinking about this perhaps we should see what type of Celebrity garbage should be allowed, as I'm not much of a fan of TMZ or the Enquirer myself.

Quote:
I can tell you, I've been here long enough to tell you, thanks to the rep system, as well as our very responsive mod team (Ferihegy, Jay, Greg, you guys are doing great!), even if some are worshipping some damn dots, this forum has been more stable than it has been in the past. And older, more contributing members can get away with more? Likely so, but that is because they have proven to actually contribute than these "Lesser" members as you call them. To be honest, if someone posted celebrity gossip, I wouldn't be really giving any rep for that as it's just irrelevant stuff. I usually give out rep in other threads, and when I think it is really needed. Even before the rep system, you could see newer members getting banned for posting things that upset the forum in general. This is NOTHING new.

Quote:
Actually, the point of Vintage Wings (which can't be seen by members under 21) was to keep the kids out and something for the older members to just enjoy, be it Doc's flight attendants or other pretty ladies. Nothing to really do with aircraft really and I don't think that it's original purpose was to do so.

Quote:
A few months back, people were extolling the virtues of the "rate the thread" and "green dots" functions. They claimed it will bring us closer to a utopian society. Whatever happened to those functions? Have people gotten tired of it that they are not using it anymore to sanction errant posts?
I notice that most people complaining about this have been people who haven't been here for longer than a year, or people who posted crap and ended up in the red and can't figure out why. Post really good things, I promise, in due time you'll get more green dots if it manages to catch the attention of active members, some thing will happen if you post crap posts, but instead of Green dots, it's red dots! Anyways, I think that the rep is helping out. But people have to learn not to be afraid to red a post if the member is let's say making threads to overthrow the leadership of GJ or some dumb crap like that, and also know to positivly rate some great posts they really like. In fact, this function HAS been very helpful in helping to a good extent, especially in Identifying which members the mods should watch more.
LOT 737-300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:16 PM   #15
RJ Captain

SalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferihegy View Post
Come on, you don't need a technical definition for what is important or what is not. Important is probably not the right word for it, but you can easily see which topics are good, funny, exciting, and which are not.
As I said EACH of us has a definition of what is important, and in the end, your term 'important' is VAGUE.

You would have to change the description of the "General Squawk Talk" forum. It currently reads, "...General collecting and OT topics go here...Questions regarding the website are answered by administrators..."
SalmonellaMD is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: