Can anyone identify this variant of helicopter? - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Ground Control > General Squawk Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-06-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
Admin

furryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobby
Can anyone identify this variant of helicopter?

I came across this photo
Flickr Photo Download: British Army Helicopter - emergency landing at City of Derry Airport

The owner seems to think its a British Army helicopter. The only variant that the Army use is the Bell 212-however i'm unconvinced this is one-can anyone confirm or correct me if i'm worng?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2009, 05:46 PM   #2
ATP Captain

Eherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributor
Re: Can anyone identify this variant of helicopter?

I have no idea what helicopter this is, but thank God for that portable toilet - looks like the pilot made it just in time.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
Admin

furryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobby

lol-classic E!

Old 12-06-2009, 05:56 PM   #4
ATP Captain

Eherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributor

I missed you old buddy, you're by far my favorite tall, red headed, Irish, law enforcement officer, model collector.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:00 PM   #5
Admin

Good to see you back chum-in protest at your leaving i dyed the hair dark brown-thinking off keeping it!
Old 12-06-2009, 06:06 PM   #6
ATP Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryforest View Post
Good to see you back chum-in protest at your leaving i dyed the hair dark brown-thinking off keeping it!
Funny you should mention that - I dyed my chest and back hair bright red when I left and I'm definitely keeping it!
Old 12-06-2009, 06:09 PM   #7
Master ATP Captain

n777co is an excellent contributorn777co is an excellent contributorn777co is an excellent contributorn777co is an excellent contributorn777co is an excellent contributorn777co is an excellent contributorn777co is an excellent contributorn777co is an excellent contributorn777co is an excellent contributorn777co is an excellent contributorn777co is an excellent contributor

You back from the dead!?!?!?!?
n777co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:11 PM   #8
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eherran View Post
Funny you should mention that - I dyed my chest and back hair bright red when I left and I'm definitely keeping it!
You know the the undercarriage should always match!
Old 12-06-2009, 06:22 PM   #9
ATP Captain

I hear you, I just couldn't get any beauty salons down here to do that sort of work. This one guy offered to do it, but it didn't quite work out. Here's his picture:

PS - sorry about the thread, looks like it got sidetracked - my bad!
Old 12-07-2009, 05:34 PM   #10
Senior Captain

Juneau_Flyer_18 is a top dogJuneau_Flyer_18 is a top dogJuneau_Flyer_18 is a top dogJuneau_Flyer_18 is a top dogJuneau_Flyer_18 is a top dogJuneau_Flyer_18 is a top dogJuneau_Flyer_18 is a top dogJuneau_Flyer_18 is a top dogJuneau_Flyer_18 is a top dogJuneau_Flyer_18 is a top dogJuneau_Flyer_18 is a top dog

Its okay, we'll let you sidetrack it for an old friend. But Just once!...

I did some looking around, that looks like a Huey....BUT....All the information I could find on the current British Army Helicopters is that the BA flies only the Twin Huey...the Bell 212HP A1....That picture looks like to me there's only one engine on it, When there should be two, also the nose is much more rounded off, when the British Army's version is a little more pointed...

Its a Bell Helicopter "Huey"...What model of the Huey...I have no idea...But I'm guess would be the Bell UH-1 Huey.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:37 PM   #11
Air Wisconsin

a_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top dog

Yeah, what would you possibly know, Mr Military Man?
a_loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:33 PM   #12
Senior Captain

Juneau_Flyer_18 is a top dogJuneau_Flyer_18 is a top dogJuneau_Flyer_18 is a top dogJuneau_Flyer_18 is a top dogJuneau_Flyer_18 is a top dogJuneau_Flyer_18 is a top dogJuneau_Flyer_18 is a top dogJuneau_Flyer_18 is a top dogJuneau_Flyer_18 is a top dogJuneau_Flyer_18 is a top dogJuneau_Flyer_18 is a top dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_loser View Post
Yeah, what would you possibly know, Mr Military Man?
I don't know anything....BUT..Google knows where to find it.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:09 PM   #13
Captain

FedEx777 is a diecast iconFedEx777 is a diecast iconFedEx777 is a diecast iconFedEx777 is a diecast iconFedEx777 is a diecast iconFedEx777 is a diecast iconFedEx777 is a diecast iconFedEx777 is a diecast iconFedEx777 is a diecast iconFedEx777 is a diecast iconFedEx777 is a diecast icon

That's for sure some Variant of the UH-1 Huey. Doubt its British Army though.

Jason
FedEx777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:17 AM   #14
Rex
W900 Team Member

Rex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobby

Hey Chris, It's Bell UH-1H with tail reg: 72-21509.

Why it says it's British, it's because it is British privately owned chopper.

Below information is what I have found of "G-UHIH" with tail "509"

Quote:
Originally Posted by From The Huey In the News Page
Arriving at Redhill on 10 May, the distinctive 'thump thump' noise of a Huey was assaulting the aerodrome from, it seemed, every direction. Good news for UK airshow-goers - and, as it turned out, good news for the aircraft's owner too.
I thought you might like this :-)
The Nose-badge:
Quote:
Originally Posted by From The Huey In the News Page
G-UHIH is a Bell UH-1H, built in 1972 and with 559 combat hours on it from a tour with 129 Assault Helicopter Company in Vietnam in 1973. After its baptism of fire, the aircraft (tail number 72-21509) returned to the US and served until 2000, mostly with the Air National Guard. Retired to storage at AMARC in August of 2000, three years later it was dusted off and a full restoration was begun by Bryan Reynolds and his team. Once that was done the matter of an export licence was next - it is no easy matter to get a military helicopter out of the USA these days!
Quote:
Originally Posted by From The HUEY website
The Bell company put forward the model 204 as multi-purpose helicopter for Army use in 1955. First flown in October 1956 as the XH-40, nine pre-production examples were designated the HU-1 (for Helicopter, Utility) and were inevitably nicknamed 'Huey' (BELL and HUEY are now stamped on the rudder pedals). The UH-1A production model first flew in 1959 and they first saw active service in Vietnam in 1963. Attrition was fierce, with over 2,500 Hueys lost in the combat zone - around half to accidents and half to enemy action.

More than 10,000 Hueys of various marks have been built, and continue to be manufactured to this day as the considerably upgraded twin-engined (and four bladed) Agusta-Bell AB-412. The ubiquitous UH-1H model (officially named the 'Iroquois') was the most numerous of all the models, and was built from 1967 to 1986. The US Army replaced their UH-1H models with UH-60 Blackhawks from 2004 onwards but other models of the Huey continue in military service - including with the US Marine Corps.

Hope this helps.

Jay

IFFG - Infinite Flight Fan Group
Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:47 AM   #15
Admin

Guys, you're legends. After E and i went off on a tangent i was giving up hope. Cheers J and Rex-big help

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: