Introducing User Reputation - Page 9 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Ground Control > General Squawk Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-28-2009, 10:42 AM   #121
Förum King

MYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobby
Re: I HATE REP POINTS !!!!!!! :cursing:

Geez calm down, its only a few green blocks (red/gray in some cases)

Nothing to get all frustrated about.
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2009, 11:09 AM   #122
Як-40 Капитан

LOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by STN216 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Im getting really fed up with the Reputation points because people keep giving other people pointless points for no reason or maybe for minor spelling and sometimes they do it because they dont like what people say and misenterpretate this and I have 6 bad reputation points from the same person and its getting on my nerves but im not going to say names and point fingers at anybody. So what do you think ????
I think the rep system is good for some self moderation from forum members, it also is a great way (if used properly) for improvement.

For example, some members, if anyone ever gets anything from me will notice that I have given them both negative and positive reputation, and usually, especially for negative things, I tell them why I gave them the negative reason (though I rarely give things out for minor things like a misspelled word here or there, but I do when it's a one liner that looks like it was typed up on a cell phone that was about to die out.)

With that said, you have started to slowly improve over time, and you have gotten to a point where almost all of your posts are readable and understandable to most people. I think over time, you'll certainly see a good rep if you keep it up with good posts. Go back to posting stuff that looks like nonsense and needs a decoder ring (or an enigma machine) to decode, and you'll likely get negative points. But do not take this system as the forum's overall opinion of you. It's just telling you if you need to improve on your posting quality or if you're seen as an active (though certainly not spamming), good quality poster who posts a lot of useful information.
LOT 737-300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:49 AM   #123
Intercontinentaux

I think the reputation points system in nothing more than a popularity contest. Readers should determine the validity of topics, people, and posts by interest they generate, not the arbitrary awarding of a dot. The system is misused by people. I have to often witnessed situations where matters of personality clearly outweigh those of principal. We are not rating goods, services, or other tangibles, instead we are rewarding on a capricious basis and punishing with a "scarlet letter".

Old 07-28-2009, 12:32 PM   #124
Як-40 Капитан

LOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intercontinentaux View Post
I think the reputation points system in nothing more than a popularity contest. Readers should determine the validity of topics, people, and posts by interest they generate, not the arbitrary awarding of a dot. The system is misused by people. I have to often witnessed situations where matters of personality clearly outweigh those of principal. We are not rating goods, services, or other tangibles, instead we are rewarding on a capricious basis and punishing with a "scarlet letter".
I will admit, I have been hearing rumors that some members talking to each other outside the forum to artificially bump each other up for no reason because they think it is a popularity contest, while I do take great disgust to this (as it kills the reason of having the system in the first place), I do view it to be only a very small (less mature) minority of the forum (at most 3 or 4 members). The majority just doesn't care about the system's existence or uses it responsibly.

Aside from this, I do have to admit, and also the political threads aside, we have seen the amount of lengthy confrontations drop very largely since the system was implemented. The regulars (who are being responsible with the system) can keep on using it to give useful advice to the newbies to improve themselves on the forum without making a thread go OT, and also use it to show approval for posts (also eliminates the point of a "Me too" or "Nice model/airport/GSE/Picture" post, so contributors and people pushing their post count up can be better separated). Of course, this system alone isn't why the forum's quality has rebounded since the mess earlier this year, we also have gotten some mods who do a great job making sure the forum stays in good shape.
LOT 737-300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:36 PM   #125
First Officer

lufthansa340 is an excellent contributorlufthansa340 is an excellent contributorlufthansa340 is an excellent contributorlufthansa340 is an excellent contributorlufthansa340 is an excellent contributorlufthansa340 is an excellent contributorlufthansa340 is an excellent contributorlufthansa340 is an excellent contributorlufthansa340 is an excellent contributorlufthansa340 is an excellent contributorlufthansa340 is an excellent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOT 737-300 View Post

Aside from this, I do have to admit, and also the political threads aside, we have seen the amount of lengthy confrontations drop very largely since the system was implemented.
Well put... things have certainly settled down.

STN216,

I would not live and die by your reputation points. They are a rating system of posts... nothing more, nothing less. Looking at your ratings and comments I don't see any blatant abuse.

Is this system perfect? No... but it certainly does make some people pause before they post. Thinking is a good thing... and anything that encourages a bit of reflection before spouting off works for me.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:26 PM   #126
ELAL expert !

STN216 is a diecast iconSTN216 is a diecast iconSTN216 is a diecast iconSTN216 is a diecast iconSTN216 is a diecast iconSTN216 is a diecast iconSTN216 is a diecast iconSTN216 is a diecast iconSTN216 is a diecast iconSTN216 is a diecast iconSTN216 is a diecast icon
Sorry if I caused any problems but you know it just does not seem right to have red boxes you know and people ( I want to mention names but I wont).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOT 737-300 View Post
I think the rep system is good for some self moderation from forum members, it also is a great way (if used properly) for improvement.

For example, some members, if anyone ever gets anything from me will notice that I have given them both negative and positive reputation, and usually, especially for negative things, I tell them why I gave them the negative reason (though I rarely give things out for minor things like a misspelled word here or there, but I do when it's a one liner that looks like it was typed up on a cell phone that was about to die out.)

With that said, you have started to slowly improve over time, and you have gotten to a point where almost all of your posts are readable and understandable to most people. I think over time, you'll certainly see a good rep if you keep it up with good posts. Go back to posting stuff that looks like nonsense and needs a decoder ring (or an enigma machine) to decode, and you'll likely get negative points. But do not take this system as the forum's overall opinion of you. It's just telling you if you need to improve on your posting quality or if you're seen as an active (though certainly not spamming), good quality poster who posts a lot of useful information.
To be honest yes it is used for improvment and no its not because some people do it because they don't like what you have said and im sorry if im being rude its because im Israeli .

Is it true that if you get like 4 reds you get your account disabled ?????

Last edited by lufthansa340; 07-28-2009 at 02:56 PM. Reason: please use the edit button
STN216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:50 PM   #127

B777-300ER is getting startedB777-300ER is getting startedB777-300ER is getting started

Yeah well I got one for mispelling "sorry" on accident. I spelled it "srry" and got a red for it. Also my friend on here got one from someone because he posted in his post "k" instead of "ok" I mean really? Thats absurd to me. Some people put their power to use in unfortunate ways.
B777-300ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:52 PM   #128
Tech Junkie

ek&sq is a good contributorek&sq is a good contributorek&sq is a good contributorek&sq is a good contributorek&sq is a good contributorek&sq is a good contributorek&sq is a good contributorek&sq is a good contributorek&sq is a good contributor

What you just did was completely unnecessary - you triple posted, created a stereotype of Israeli's being rude and at the same time, complain about getting negative rep! Why am I not surprised?
Old 07-28-2009, 02:52 PM   #129
Wings900 Team Member

Silverbird is a legend of the hobbySilverbird is a legend of the hobbySilverbird is a legend of the hobbySilverbird is a legend of the hobbySilverbird is a legend of the hobbySilverbird is a legend of the hobbySilverbird is a legend of the hobbySilverbird is a legend of the hobbySilverbird is a legend of the hobbySilverbird is a legend of the hobbySilverbird is a legend of the hobby

I still see 2 green dots, so can't be too bad yet. But it seems you're getting nervous about it, starting your little rant here and post three replies within 16 minutes...
Get over it and sort it out with the guy who gave you the bad rep.
Silverbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:00 PM   #130
Captain

BrianTwigley is a good contributorBrianTwigley is a good contributorBrianTwigley is a good contributorBrianTwigley is a good contributorBrianTwigley is a good contributorBrianTwigley is a good contributorBrianTwigley is a good contributorBrianTwigley is a good contributorBrianTwigley is a good contributor

Honestly, I dont see how some people around here got so many 'good post' points. And I don't really think it judges who you are, but if I don't like a post someone makes, I'll make sure to give them a negative, as well as if I like a post its a positive. I don't care if I get none in return, and neither should anyone else. Its not like it defines who you are.. And if you can get your account disabled by it I think thats quite wrong, because no doubt some kid will come along and be an idiot, I'll correct him and get my account of nearly 5 years banned.

My Collection - All Models up for trade, PM if interested.

http://www.last.fm/user/briantwigley

BrianTwigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:43 PM   #131
Captain

southwest freak is an excellent contributorsouthwest freak is an excellent contributorsouthwest freak is an excellent contributorsouthwest freak is an excellent contributorsouthwest freak is an excellent contributorsouthwest freak is an excellent contributorsouthwest freak is an excellent contributorsouthwest freak is an excellent contributorsouthwest freak is an excellent contributorsouthwest freak is an excellent contributorsouthwest freak is an excellent contributor

I dont really get many good points but I also think people are making pointless accounts when they allready have one and there commenting on thier account with that one.I'm fine with rep points but tons of people are doing what I said above.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:48 PM   #132
First Officer

lufthansa340 is an excellent contributorlufthansa340 is an excellent contributorlufthansa340 is an excellent contributorlufthansa340 is an excellent contributorlufthansa340 is an excellent contributorlufthansa340 is an excellent contributorlufthansa340 is an excellent contributorlufthansa340 is an excellent contributorlufthansa340 is an excellent contributorlufthansa340 is an excellent contributorlufthansa340 is an excellent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest freak View Post
I dont really get many good points but I also think people are making pointless accounts when they allready have one and there commenting on thier account with that one.I'm fine with rep points but tons of people are doing what I said above.
Don't worry too much about that... we sweep from time to time for those things. Members caught with multiple accounts for the purpose of raising their reputation points (pathetic, by the way) get a one way ticket to "Bansville"
Old 07-28-2009, 03:49 PM   #133
Captain

southwest freak is an excellent contributorsouthwest freak is an excellent contributorsouthwest freak is an excellent contributorsouthwest freak is an excellent contributorsouthwest freak is an excellent contributorsouthwest freak is an excellent contributorsouthwest freak is an excellent contributorsouthwest freak is an excellent contributorsouthwest freak is an excellent contributorsouthwest freak is an excellent contributorsouthwest freak is an excellent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufthansa340 View Post
Don't worry too much about that... we sweep from time to time for those things. Members caught with multiple accounts for the purpose of raising their reputation points (pathetic, by the way) get a one way ticket to "Bansville"
Just wondering how do you get caught or find out????
Old 07-28-2009, 03:58 PM   #134
First Officer

Dont't worry about it... we have our ways
Old 07-28-2009, 04:11 PM   #135
RJ First Officer

thornet28 is getting startedthornet28 is getting startedthornet28 is getting startedthornet28 is getting started

I have only given bad reputation points on a few occassions. I for one do not believe in giving negative points for mis-spellings or slight syntax or gramatical errors but rather rude and un-orthodox behavior. For example, I AM NOT POINTING FINGERS (or hinting to a culprit or any one instance for that matter), profanity, name calling, taunting/teasing, and singling out certain members.
STN216, you just have to calm down and learn to go with the flow. Maybe take a break from posting and sort of "shadow" a member with a high reputation.

We all go through hard times, speaking from experience, and you have to power through it and learn to really respect the site and all it's members.
I my self appreciate you venting your feelings about the rep system, it shows you are not afraid to speak your mind. But do beware that consequences (good or bad) may follow in doing so.

I am only trying to help because I know what it's like to not have a good rep. on this forum. Please, take my advice and other's advice. We are all a community here and are all striving to help make W900 a better place.

ASUS Computer Tech
thornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: