How about a set of rules to buy/sell/trade on this forum? - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Ground Control > General Squawk Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-25-2009, 07:32 PM   #1
RJ Second Officer

Amirbatna is getting startedAmirbatna is getting startedAmirbatna is getting startedAmirbatna is getting startedAmirbatna is getting startedAmirbatna is getting started
Lightbulb How about a set of rules to buy/sell/trade on this forum?

Hello everybody.

I would like to begin a discussion about what we could do to make the buying/selling/trading of models on W900 less stressful.

I've seen that many times, and have been involved in some of these cases. Typically, a member offers some models for sale, many other members rejoice, deals are made and money is sent. Then, stress, panic, claims of scam, rumors on same models being sold on other websites by same person, a lot of PM traffic among buyers, and eventually massive demands of refund to PayPal.

Even if the all models are received in the end, I wonder if all the fuss that was made could be avoided by providing some sort of guarantees to both sides.

Since W900's feedback system was abandoned a long time ago, I was thinking about some other measures. I also would like to hear your suggestions and ideas.

1. Any seller offering any number of models for sale has to provide a picture of the models. If it is a large list of models. Stacked boxes of the models, with the inscriptions readable on them will suffice. On the same picture, it would be good that the seller's face appear. You may smile, but a local paper with a date close to the date of the posted thread announcing the sale wouldn't hurt.

2. Buying goods when separated by long distances requires trust from both sides. How about a rule that a member who joined Wings900 later than his counterpart have to sent his models(or money) first? For example, a new member who joined in January 2009 wants to trade some models with me. I joined in early 2008. Therefore, the other member sends his models first, and I send him mine after reception. I wonder, though, if this could apply to selling/buying, as it is easier to reclaim wired money than to reclaim sent merchandise.

3. Another option : If you want to sell models and you are a new member (say 3 months or less, with less than 30 posts), you better find a "sponsor" in your area. A sponsor, as I imagine it, is an "old" W900 member living in the same area. The fresh member calls/e-mails or even meets over a cup of coffee with the sponsor and provides him with some info, like his real name, address and phone number. The sponsor then gives the green light on W900, meaning that the seller is ok.

Off course, these aren't supposed to be strict rules. If two people know each other well, and/or agree to bypass this "W900 trading convention" are free to do so. But if one party insists on respecting the chart or some points of it and the other refuses, that might prevent a scam from the start. Agreeing on the rules of the convention (feel free to rename) could lead to less stress and panic in the forums of W900.

Please feel free to comment, or to provide new ideas for an eventual "Wings900 trading convention".

Amir.
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2009, 07:48 PM   #2
Operations Director

waffle is a legend of the hobbywaffle is a legend of the hobbywaffle is a legend of the hobbywaffle is a legend of the hobbywaffle is a legend of the hobbywaffle is a legend of the hobbywaffle is a legend of the hobbywaffle is a legend of the hobbywaffle is a legend of the hobbywaffle is a legend of the hobbywaffle is a legend of the hobby
Re: How about a set of rules to buy/sell/trade on this forum?

Must refrain from rude sarcastic comments...

waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
Master ATP Captain

hikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amirbatna View Post

1. Any seller offering any number of models for sale has to provide a picture of the models. If it is a large list of models. Stacked boxes of the models, with the inscriptions readable on them will suffice. On the same picture, it would be good that the seller's face appear. You may smile, but a local paper with a date close to the date of the posted thread announcing the sale wouldn't hurt.

I bought a model from another member of this forum and he even volunteered to send me pics. He did send me a LOT of photos, but when I got the model, it had a chipped-off paint in a "strategic" spot.

If photos will be required, there has to be a format. But even then, it can be photoshopped.

Quote:

3. Another option : If you want to sell models and you are a new member (say 3 months or less, with less than 30 posts), you better find a "sponsor" in your area. A sponsor, as I imagine it, is an "old" W900 member living in the same area. The fresh member calls/e-mails or even meets over a cup of coffee with the sponsor and provides him with some info, like his real name, address and phone number. The sponsor then gives the green light on W900, meaning that the seller is ok.

There is supposedly a "trader rating" function in this forum where members get rated based on deals made. It is not fool-proof though. I've bought from a member with 90%+++ rating from dozens of people and have been personally recommended by several users. However, he sent me defective models TWICE. He then played down my complaints despite admitting he forgot to inspect my models even after he repeatedly promised to do so. He refused a replacement. I reported him to the police and threatened to sue. Only then did he agree to a full refund.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:40 PM   #4
RJ First Officer

StarAllianceFlyer is flying under the radarStarAllianceFlyer is flying under the radar

A lot of your suggestions are seller focused. You got to ensure the sellers that the buyers are legit too.

StarAllianceFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:12 AM   #5
Puddle Jumper

matthew is flying under the radar
Thumbs down Re: How about a set of rules to buy/sell/trade on this forum?

Those would be pretty hard to implement. Even if they were I still don't think it would help very much. These days it is easy to fake photos, etc.. it still won't guarantee anything. That sponsor thing wouldn't work either or at least be difficult. For example, I live in Calgary....I don't think I have seen a person on this forum yet that is also from Calgary....who would be my sponsor?

It is very hard to guarantee anything even with your suggestions. All you can do is look at ratings and take the chance and trust that person.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:12 PM   #6
RJ Second Officer

Amirbatna is getting startedAmirbatna is getting startedAmirbatna is getting startedAmirbatna is getting startedAmirbatna is getting startedAmirbatna is getting started

Well, I guess it wasn't such a good idea. But the problem is still here. Just go take a look in the trade section.

Requiring the pictures was intended to prove that the seller has the models in his possession. I understand that it's hard to see and easy to hide defects. In the case of a scam, the "seller" just creates a fictive list of popular models, which he doesn't have at all.

Anyway, I wish to you all good deals and honest sellers/buyers.

Amir.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:36 PM   #7
Master ATP Captain

hikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast icon

Quote:
Well, I guess it wasn't such a good idea. But the problem is still here. Just go take a look in the trade section.

Requiring the pictures was intended to prove that the seller has the models in his possession. I understand that it's hard to see and easy to hide defects. In the case of a scam, the "seller" just creates a fictive list of popular models, which he doesn't have at all.

Anyway, I wish to you all good deals and honest sellers/buyers.

Amir.
You know, the best way to avoid scams is to buy from friends. That way, you'll know where to chase them with an axe.

If you're really itching to buy from a seller, transact only a small amount then buy again from him if that deal went well.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:46 PM   #8
Second Officer

jetsforlife is an excellent contributorjetsforlife is an excellent contributorjetsforlife is an excellent contributorjetsforlife is an excellent contributorjetsforlife is an excellent contributorjetsforlife is an excellent contributorjetsforlife is an excellent contributorjetsforlife is an excellent contributorjetsforlife is an excellent contributorjetsforlife is an excellent contributorjetsforlife is an excellent contributor

I say that the member must put the item up on ebay with a buy it now price, because I read ebay has something that you can restrict your item only for a group of people or only one person. And if someone else tries to bid, it will tell them they must contact the seller in order to bid. This would be the safest and best way cause, first of all it is free to have an ebay account. I think its 20 cents to put an item up but just add that in the shipping cost, and most importantly nobody would get scammed cause ebay would go after that person and kick them off and make them pay the buyer back and all sorts of stuff. Those scammers don't want to go through that. And ebay is all around the world too!!!

Tags
buy, scam, sell, trade

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: