Spelling and grammar - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Ground Control > General Squawk Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-03-2009, 04:29 AM   #1
Admin

furryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobby
Spelling and grammar

Guys

At the risk of sounding like a teacher, I’ve noticed lately that the spelling and grammar has taken a nosedive.

In times gone by, the senior members used to guide us new members in this seemingly trivial matter, but to be honest here on W900 it would be a 24/7 job nowadays!!!

Whilst no one expects any poster to agonize over the spelling and grammar to make their post perfect, some posts lately make little or no sense and would need MI6 to decipher them.

There are some posters who have English as their primary language and really have no excuse for the state their posts are in. This is not text messaging or IMing.

I'm aware that for some members, English is not their primary language and I applaud you, for embarrassingly I have no command over a second language and as time goes on you will pick up the weird and wonderful language that is English!!!

Some members may not be aware but just above and to the right of the box where you post you will see this button:

This is the spell checker. Use it and I suspect you will see a dramatic improvement in your posts.

Some of the most basic mistakes I’ve noticed are:
They're/there/their
To/too/two
Its/it's
Where/were.

This little link nicely explains some of the differences

Spelling and grammar will serve you well in life. Like many other people on here, regardless of the job you are in, you will no doubt be required to write reports. Poor spelling and grammar detracts from what could be great content. I know we all have some great contributions to make to the site and I would feel disappointed if the high quality of my post was missed due to poor spelling and grammar.

Finally THIS IS NOT A NAME AND SHAME POST so please respect that.

Thanks for reading and I hope you get something out of this post.

P.S. Sorry for any spelling and grammar mistakes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2009, 06:08 AM   #2
RJ First Officer

joe747 is flying under the radar
Re: Spelling and grammar

Hey the one thing I got out of you post is I need to use the spell box my spelling is bad due to a learning difficultie but by me posting to a thread help's me to get a little better at it

Thanks for the tips joe
Old 02-03-2009, 06:17 AM   #3
banned

thomascook is a good contributorthomascook is a good contributorthomascook is a good contributorthomascook is a good contributorthomascook is a good contributorthomascook is a good contributorthomascook is a good contributorthomascook is a good contributorthomascook is a good contributorthomascook is a good contributor

I never new there was a spell check box, but my spelling should get better now.

Thanks !
thomascook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2009, 07:03 AM   #4
Trijets Lover

Ferihegy is a good contributorFerihegy is a good contributorFerihegy is a good contributorFerihegy is a good contributorFerihegy is a good contributorFerihegy is a good contributorFerihegy is a good contributorFerihegy is a good contributorFerihegy is a good contributorFerihegy is a good contributorFerihegy is a good contributor

Thanks Furry... That's really important! We should kepp the W900 level as high as we could. I am also doing some mistakes - as everybody does, even those who have english as their primary language - but let's just read our post twice to correct these errors!
Ferihegy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:41 AM   #5
RJ Captain

garyw77 is getting startedgaryw77 is getting startedgaryw77 is getting startedgaryw77 is getting startedgaryw77 is getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe747 View Post
Hey the one thing I got out of you post is I need to use the spell box my spelling is bad due to a learning difficultie but by me posting to a thread help's me to get a little better at it

Thanks for the tips joe
your post? difficulty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomascook View Post
I never new there was a spell check box, but my spelling should get better now.

Thanks !
never knew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferihegy View Post
Thanks Furry... That's really important! We should kepp the W900 level as high as we could. I am also doing some mistakes - as everybody does, even those who have english as their primary language - but let's just read our post twice to correct these errors!
We should keep the W900 level as high as we can? I am also making some mistakes

Please tell me that these three replies had mistakes deliberately inserted?...

Last edited by garyw77; 02-03-2009 at 07:44 AM.
garyw77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:54 AM   #6
Trijets Lover

Ferihegy is a good contributorFerihegy is a good contributorFerihegy is a good contributorFerihegy is a good contributorFerihegy is a good contributorFerihegy is a good contributorFerihegy is a good contributorFerihegy is a good contributorFerihegy is a good contributorFerihegy is a good contributorFerihegy is a good contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyw77 View Post
Are you an english teacher gary? Seems so...
I think (besides the "keep" error - which is incorrect, I know) I had more stylistic problems. And I said that we can make some mistakes, but there are some extremely aweful postings. So let's have a look at those.

Any errors in this post?
Gary could be our grammar-expert and correct all posts...
Ferihegy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:40 AM   #7
Wings900 Team Member

mmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryforest View Post
Whilst no one expects any poster to agonize over the spelling and grammar to make their post perfect, some posts lately make little or no sense and would need MI6 to decipher them.
Spelling and grammar will serve you well in life. ... Poor spelling and grammar detracts from what could be great content.
Thank you! I couldn't agree more...
Quote:
Originally Posted by furryforest View Post
Some members may not be aware but just above and to the right of the box where you post you will see this button:

This is the spell checker. Use it and I suspect you will see a dramatic improvement in your posts.

Some of the most basic mistakes Iíve noticed are:
They're/there/their
To/too/two
Its/it's
Where/were.
Problem is, the spellchecker won't pick these up. Thinking is required...

While we're at it: Is it just me or have signatures, especially pictures in them, become bigger on average recently? They, too, distract from the actual posts...
mmu69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:56 AM   #8
RJ First Officer

joe747 is flying under the radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyw77 View Post
your post? difficulty?

never knew?

We should keep the W900 level as high as we can? I am also making some mistakes

My replie was not a deliberately mistake thankyou When i use the spelling box at the top of the reply it will only give you a few options to pick from. For some of us we are not as good as other's with words I wish i wasbut i'am not. So i have to best that i canwith who i I'am

Joe
Old 02-03-2009, 09:29 AM   #9
First Officer

lowflyer7 is a good contributorlowflyer7 is a good contributorlowflyer7 is a good contributorlowflyer7 is a good contributorlowflyer7 is a good contributorlowflyer7 is a good contributorlowflyer7 is a good contributorlowflyer7 is a good contributor

Generally I support the point of this thread and we should pay attention that the situation doesn't get out of hand. But we also shouldn't forget that English is not the native language of a major percentage of our members. I'm always eager to learn something new and by reading the posts of native English speakers I can adopt words and idioms for my own posting.

On the other hand I'll MAKE (spelling & grammar) mistakes too and if someone finds them he can keep them. I just hope that we find a good balance between trying to achieve a high standard of posting but also use common horse sense (I think that's what it's called in English).
Old 02-03-2009, 10:06 AM   #10
Wings900 Team Member

mmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyer7 View Post
But we also shouldn't forget that English is not the native language of a major percentage of our members.
You're right, but if you re-read Furryforest's post, you'll notice he actually wrote something to that effect. Look at the post above yours and you'll know what he really meant (ups, I named someone - no offence).
mmu69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:44 AM   #11
Second Officer

Mudanglee is a good contributorMudanglee is a good contributorMudanglee is a good contributorMudanglee is a good contributorMudanglee is a good contributorMudanglee is a good contributorMudanglee is a good contributorMudanglee is a good contributorMudanglee is a good contributor

Me sea lots of speling mistaks but me think it ok cuz I is tring my bestest I iz failed flite skool cuz i cant spellz Iz be fliing 747 if mi speling get gooder
Mudanglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:50 AM   #12
Lurker

rapleylikeba is an excellent contributorrapleylikeba is an excellent contributorrapleylikeba is an excellent contributorrapleylikeba is an excellent contributorrapleylikeba is an excellent contributorrapleylikeba is an excellent contributorrapleylikeba is an excellent contributorrapleylikeba is an excellent contributorrapleylikeba is an excellent contributorrapleylikeba is an excellent contributorrapleylikeba is an excellent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudanglee View Post
Me sea lots of speling mistaks but me think it ok cuz I is tring my bestest I iz failed flite skool cuz i cant spellz Iz be fliing 747 if mi speling get gooder
To make that even worse, you should use a lower case "I" and starts the sentence in lower case!

To be honest, I think that the spell check tool should be automatic on the posting box.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #13
The Lead Solo

Blue Angel No.5 is a good contributorBlue Angel No.5 is a good contributorBlue Angel No.5 is a good contributorBlue Angel No.5 is a good contributorBlue Angel No.5 is a good contributorBlue Angel No.5 is a good contributorBlue Angel No.5 is a good contributorBlue Angel No.5 is a good contributorBlue Angel No.5 is a good contributorBlue Angel No.5 is a good contributorBlue Angel No.5 is a good contributor

Sadly here in the US find it acceptable to speak improper english. On the contrary, when you speak proper english, you're seen as too uptight, and in my case as a Pacific Islander, a sell out.

Sad stuff. Where is today's society going these days?
Old 02-03-2009, 12:37 PM   #14
Second Officer

Mudanglee is a good contributorMudanglee is a good contributorMudanglee is a good contributorMudanglee is a good contributorMudanglee is a good contributorMudanglee is a good contributorMudanglee is a good contributorMudanglee is a good contributorMudanglee is a good contributor

I'm not sure but I've heard spelling isn't taught in school these days - kids are told to spell things how they sound.
Mudanglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:29 PM   #15
Operations Director

flyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dog

I know that everyone makes typos and that to err is human, but I applaud Furry's sentiments here.

Chris, from the sounds of your other recent post - it is time you got a Mac. No need to use a spell-checker - it does it automatically for you!!

Funnily enough, despite this I often overlook mistakes in the compose/edit mode but see them instantly after posting when the format looks more clear. Thank goodness for the edit post button that lets me clean up my mistakes!!!

flyingdoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: