Spelling and grammar - Page 9 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Ground Control > General Squawk Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-18-2010, 07:18 AM   #121
Admin

furryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobby
Re: Spelling and grammar

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince1159 View Post
That's the ones Furry.I think the safest lesson i used to have was art,that was a piece clay about the size of a golf ball!...
Art teachers were usually hippies and therefore pacifists-great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2010, 02:46 PM   #122
Earning My Wings

peter chin is flying under the radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmu69 View Post
Quite the opposite is actually true. Your example is the perfect illustration of why correct spelling and grammar are important, all cultural arguments aside.

(1) While the reader will (probably) understand the message, it will take him much longer.
(2) The reader will get annoyed with the author.
(3) The reader is much less likely to read a longer text, or to agree (or argue sensibly) with the author.
You are not giving the brain the credit it deserves.
The brain does not read the individual letters but rather recognizes the word and that is why to read a word correctly all it needs is the first and last letter to be in the right place. The order of the letters inbetween is insignificant.

Another example of what the brain does:

The C chord is made up of the notes C, E and G.
To hear the C chord, all you have to play is the E and G note and your brain creates the C note and you hear the C chord.

Peter Chin
peter chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:23 PM   #123
RJ Second Officer

Cygnum is appreciatedCygnum is appreciatedCygnum is appreciatedCygnum is appreciatedCygnum is appreciatedCygnum is appreciatedCygnum is appreciated

True. But what if you can make moren than one word with the same letters?

Cygnum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2010, 11:22 PM   #124
Earning My Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnum View Post
True. But what if you can make moren than one word with the same letters?
Examples please.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:02 AM   #125
Admin

furryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobby

cloud -- could

prenatal -- parental

Old 05-19-2010, 08:40 AM   #126
ATP Captain

Antesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast icon

Well my English is not the best in the world, but I guess most of you are not so good in Swedish, right? So even as it might be OK to correct native English speaking persons if they miss spell words for instance. Keep in mind that the rest of us in this world are kind enough to accept English as the dominant language (Even as it has its origin in the Scandinavian languages the Vikings(traders not warriors...) brought to England). So accept the gift and teach us ignorant uneducated non native English speaking rednecks how to use the language formal and correct...

And I am a teacher but luckily not a language teacher...

//Antesyd ;-)
Antesyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:58 AM   #127
Operations Director

flyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dog

I really hope that the non-native English speakers on these forums will not take umbrage from this thread. It is great to have such a mix of nationalities from all over the world here, united by a passion for aviation. I would miss hearing from you all.

I think everyone is cut some slack here, but I would agree that it is frustrating to see one's mother-tongue being butchered, not by those who are attempting to communicate in a second language that is hopelessly riddled with exceptions to rules, but by those who just don't care. The real tragedy, in my view, is that the standard of teaching English in English-speaking countries has fallen to such a standard.

I would urge everyone who is not a native speaker to keep posting and for everyone to take a little pride in how they communicate.

(I do not subscribe to Peter Chin's view and would agree that his example illustrates the counter-argument most succinctly!)

flyingdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:39 AM   #128
ATP Captain

Antesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast icon

Even after what feels like a hundred reviews I still can't get this "to or too" thing, I just can't...

//Antesyd
Antesyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:48 AM   #129
Operations Director

flyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antesyd View Post
Even after what feels like a hundred reviews I still can't get this "to or too" thing, I just can't...

//Antesyd
too means "also" or "as well", as in "I am confused too!"

too can also indicate an excess of something, such as "too expensive" or "too funny". (för dyrt, alltfört rolig)

flyingdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:11 PM   #130
Earning My Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryforest View Post
cloud -- could

prenatal -- parental

Which word it is should be apparent by its placement in the sentence.
The first pair is easy as one is a noun and the other a verb.
The second pair is a little more difficult as they are both adjectives. In this case the word would be evident in the context of the sentence.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:17 PM   #131
ATP Captain

matt109 is a legend of the hobbymatt109 is a legend of the hobbymatt109 is a legend of the hobbymatt109 is a legend of the hobbymatt109 is a legend of the hobbymatt109 is a legend of the hobbymatt109 is a legend of the hobbymatt109 is a legend of the hobbymatt109 is a legend of the hobbymatt109 is a legend of the hobbymatt109 is a legend of the hobby

Hmm.. why are some people so opinionated?!
Personally, I love it that loads of nationalities meet and greet due to the collection of models and the general interest in aviation. Even with the odd mistake, people should at least try to uphold their best grammar standards, so that non-native speakers can learn from native speakers.

For Sale | My Collection
matt109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:51 PM   #132
RJ Captain

Dudishdanny is getting startedDudishdanny is getting startedDudishdanny is getting startedDudishdanny is getting startedDudishdanny is getting startedDudishdanny is getting started

Asking non-native speakers to try and nearly perfect their English might be a bit much, we as a English speaking nation should be grateful to those who learn our language I just hope these non-native speakers aren't just using Google Translator
Dudishdanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:18 PM   #133
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter chin View Post
Which word it is should be apparent by its placement in the sentence.
The first pair is easy as one is a noun and the other a verb.
The second pair is a little more difficult as they are both adjectives. In this case the word would be evident in the context of the sentence.
Still adds seconds to your reading time, which i think is the gist of the point...or should i say pniot
Old 05-20-2010, 08:03 PM   #134
Rex
W900 Team Member

Rex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudishdanny View Post
Asking non-native speakers to try and nearly perfect their English might be a bit much, we as a English speaking nation should be grateful to those who learn our language I just hope these non-native speakers aren't just using Google Translator
I've learnt my English trough "mouth to mouth" or should I say "oral conversations" (trough my jobs) I must admit, I didn't learned much from when I was studying English in school back in the 90's. But I'm sure that since I'm from the Philippines might have given me an advantage, since most of our Filipino sentences are mixed with English words in a certain way, sometimes is referred "Taglish"

All in respect to other countries that uses English widely, such as India, Singapore etc etc.

IFFG - Infinite Flight Fan Group
Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:04 PM   #135
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex View Post
I've learnt my English trough "mouth to mouth" or should I say "oral conversations"
Have you met many English women

(sorry i couldn't resist!)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: