Spelling and grammar - Page 8 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Ground Control > General Squawk Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-17-2010, 02:48 AM   #106
Admin

furryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobby
Re: Spelling and grammar

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_loser View Post
Is English your mother tongue? In the age of the intarwebz, many people from all over the world are looking on message boards. Some are using them to hone their own English skills, some might be prospective employers (not likely on this board, but certain others it's quite plausible). Therefore, as a native speaker, the impetus is on you to prevent anyone, be it yourself or someone just learning the language, from making themselves look like a complete idiot in public.
What he said
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2010, 03:55 AM   #107
Second Officer

TheCreater is getting startedTheCreater is getting startedTheCreater is getting startedTheCreater is getting startedTheCreater is getting startedTheCreater is getting started

As you've probably noticed, I'm not a native English speaker...
Well, i'm trying my best, just like all the others in here, to work on my English and do not repeat on the same mistakes twice.
I just cant see people looking for mistakes in my posts!! Live and Let die...I won't repeat them if you inform me by PM or so...and as for the newbies in here, give them some chances before mis-judging them...if this does not work, then you make get to their life or so...but be plesant at first!
Yes, we are a semi-closed community for new members, but let's make the people who REALLY want to be here to stay..

Jonathan
Your Globe - Our Expertise.
TheCreater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:30 AM   #108
Admin

furryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCreater View Post
As you've probably noticed, I'm not a native English speaker...
Well, i'm trying my best, just like all the others in here, to work on my English and do not repeat on the same mistakes twice.
I just cant see people looking for mistakes in my posts!! Live and Let die...I won't repeat them if you inform me by PM or so...and as for the newbies in here, give them some chances before mis-judging them...if this does not work, then you make get to their life or so...but be plesant at first!
Yes, we are a semi-closed community for new members, but let's make the people who REALLY want to be here to stay..

Jonathan
I'll be honest, i had no idea that English wasn't your native language-so you've done very well

Old 05-17-2010, 08:40 AM   #109
RJ Second Officer

Cygnum is appreciatedCygnum is appreciatedCygnum is appreciatedCygnum is appreciatedCygnum is appreciatedCygnum is appreciatedCygnum is appreciated

Sometimes I'm amazed (and not in a good way) by the quality of some posts. When someone isn't a native speaker, I can't blame them, except for maybe the errors that are elementary and no one should be allowed to make (e.g. the use of a capital at the beginning of a sentence). Here, we have the same problem with the Dutch grammar. A lot of native speakers here can't even see when they need to use (losely translated) the Dutch versions of the present simple and the present perfect. An example: the second and third person (you, he, she, it) in present simple is the first person + t, whilst the present perfect is in some cases the same word, but instead of ending with a 't', it ends with a 'd'. Students and adults often mix these two up.

And when they can't even succesfully master their own language, they need to learn a second language, English, as well. For some people, it's just absolute horror. So I really can't blame most of the people who haven't had the opportunity to succesfully master the English language.

When I see grammatical errors in Dutch, I'm always getting a little bit sad and angry at the same time. Your native tongue is the way you can express yourself. When you do that with errors, the essence of the expression is lost, because the errors take over the expression, resulting in a lesser impact of the text. The same applies when I see an English text that is full of errors. When I see the writer is for instance Russian, I can understand why there are errors. But when someone writes something in his mother tongue that is filled with (grammatical) errors, I can't understand why they made these errors. Of course someone can make a mistake every once in a while, but when it becomes systematic, thus without the writer knowing of his mistakes, I think it should be told to the writer, so he can improve his spelling and grammar. It's a moral obligation in my personal opinion. Because when people accept these errors, they become common in the long term. Not that change is a bad thing, but some things aren't meant to be changed. Like the use of a capital at the beginning of each sentence.

Just my two pence as a non-native speaker, but as someone who has quite some experience when it comes to this issue.

Last edited by Cygnum; 05-17-2010 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Added some small additions
Cygnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:28 PM   #110
RJ Captain

Dudishdanny is getting startedDudishdanny is getting startedDudishdanny is getting startedDudishdanny is getting startedDudishdanny is getting startedDudishdanny is getting started

I dislike errors in spelling and grammar just as much as the rest of you guys, however some people seem so pedantic in finding mistakes, it just seems silly.
Dudishdanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:41 PM   #111
Second Officer

TheCreater is getting startedTheCreater is getting startedTheCreater is getting startedTheCreater is getting startedTheCreater is getting startedTheCreater is getting started

Well, as Cygnum said, some languages do have problems such as cases where the written form of the word is not the same as the spoken one , for example : the Knight (night)=nite problem...
In my mother tounge, Hebrew (which is spoken in Israel), we dont have so many problems like this, it's just that we tend not to use some of the declension of the verbs in spoken daily language..which makes some new-talkers sounds wierd when talk with the language taught in school abroad.

As for furryforest's reply- thank you, but I must say that here in Israel the English language is very important. Our neighbour countries only speak different kinds of Arabic and we need it to have any transaction with countries in the EU for example.
In Israel we start learn English at 3rd grade, and we must do a final test in English on the 12th class, therefore we are learning the rules of English Grammar and must know them excellent.
my English does not only come from school, otherwise it would be much worst- I've practised it alot through forums like this and online games like things I refer not to mention.

You need to know it is hard to understand English and it's simple idea if your language does not have any connection to English like German has, with the different tenses and persons.
Your Globe - Our Expertise.
TheCreater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:48 PM   #112
Master ATP Captain

vince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobby

Sorry,but it's not "silly"...The amount of spelling mistakes on here by twelve to sixteen year olds in the UK is crazy,
if i'd spelt anything like this until i left school(84)i'd have had a duster thrown at me!..(wooden one)...

Also all the other pupils were aware that the teachers weren't that accurate with a duster so we all took notice....

Last edited by vince1159; 05-17-2010 at 03:03 PM.
vince1159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:24 PM   #113
RJ Captain

Dudishdanny is getting startedDudishdanny is getting startedDudishdanny is getting startedDudishdanny is getting startedDudishdanny is getting startedDudishdanny is getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince1159 View Post
Sorry,but it's not "silly"...The amount of spelling mistakes on here by twelve to sixteen year olds in the UK is crazy,
if i'd spelt anything like this until i left school(84)i'd have had a duster thrown at me!..(wooden one)...

Also all the other pupils were aware that the teachers weren't that accurate with a duster so we all took notice....
Couldn't agree more about the horrendous spelling mistakes, when I see someone spell like ''oi m8 i aint dun nuffin'' a little part of me dies I was hinting more along the lines of peoples desires to seek out errors and correct even the smallest and most insignificant details.
Dudishdanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:43 PM   #114
Admin

Quote:

I'm getting flashbacks here Vince. INCOMING!!!
Old 05-17-2010, 07:54 PM   #115
Rex
W900 Team Member

Rex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobby

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryforest View Post
I'm getting flashbacks here Vince. INCOMING!!!
Duster ? Try hardback books instead. IN YOUR FACE!

IFFG - Infinite Flight Fan Group
Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:05 PM   #116
Admin

Wooden duster with felt undersides. Trust me the felt part never connected with the head first-it was ALWAYS the wood.

I think my teachers were the first to master chalk as a projectile!
Old 05-17-2010, 11:18 PM   #117
Air Wisconsin

a_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top dog

There is something majorly wrong when non-native speakers are more adept in any given language than its native speakers... Most of that seems to be directly proportionate to the number of kids who say "hay we dun need 2 lern spelnig so stop getin so anoyed. n besides this isnt englihs class so i dun hav 2 put ne efurt into mah posts - as long as u kan undrstand what im sayin its all good"
a_loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:56 AM   #118
Earning My Wings

peter chin is flying under the radar

Quote:
Guys

At the risk of sounding like a teacher, Iíve noticed lately that the spelling and grammar has taken a nosedive.

In times gone by, the senior members used to guide us new members in this seemingly trivial matter, but to be honest here on W900 it would be a 24/7 job nowadays!!!

Whilst no one expects any poster to agonize over the spelling and grammar to make their post perfect, some posts lately make little or no sense and would need MI6 to decipher them.

There are some posters who have English as their primary language and really have no excuse for the state their posts are in. This is not text messaging or IMing.

I'm aware that for some members, English is not their primary language and I applaud you, for embarrassingly I have no command over a second language and as time goes on you will pick up the weird and wonderful language that is English!!!

Some members may not be aware but just above and to the right of the box where you post you will see this button:

This is the spell checker. Use it and I suspect you will see a dramatic improvement in your posts.

Some of the most basic mistakes Iíve noticed are:
They're/there/their
To/too/two
Its/it's
Where/were.

This little link nicely explains some of the differences

Spelling and grammar will serve you well in life. Like many other people on here, regardless of the job you are in, you will no doubt be required to write reports. Poor spelling and grammar detracts from what could be great content. I know we all have some great contributions to make to the site and I would feel disappointed if the high quality of my post was missed due to poor spelling and grammar.

Finally THIS IS NOT A NAME AND SHAME POST so please respect that.

Thanks for reading and I hope you get something out of this post.

P.S. Sorry for any spelling and grammar mistakes

This is to show how overated spelling really is :

At the rsik of snuoding lkie a techeer, I've ntioecd ltelay taht the sllpeing and gmmraar has tkaen a nseodvie.

Now read the quoted first sentence of the poster and see how close you came to understanding it. Incidently every word with 4 or more characters is spelt wrong.

Then there is the texting lingo which would look like:

@ d risk of sounding lk a teacha, Iv noticd l8ly dat d sp n gramA hs taken a nosedive

Peter Chin
peter chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:44 AM   #119
Wings900 Team Member

mmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter chin View Post
This is to show how overated spelling really is :

At the rsik of snuoding lkie a techeer, I've ntioecd ltelay taht the sllpeing and gmmraar has tkaen a nseodvie.

Now read the quoted first sentence of the poster and see how close you came to understanding it. Incidently every word with 4 or more characters is spelt wrong.
Quite the opposite is actually true. Your example is the perfect illustration of why correct spelling and grammar are important, all cultural arguments aside.

(1) While the reader will (probably) understand the message, it will take him much longer.
(2) The reader will get annoyed with the author.
(3) The reader is much less likely to read a longer text, or to agree (or argue sensibly) with the author.
mmu69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:12 AM   #120
Master ATP Captain

vince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Wooden duster with felt undersides. Trust me the felt part never connected with the head first-it was ALWAYS the wood.

I think my teachers were the first to master chalk as a projectile!
That's the ones Furry.I think the safest lesson i used to have was art,that was a piece clay about the size of a golf ball!...
vince1159 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: