Spelling and grammar - Page 2 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Ground Control > General Squawk Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-03-2009, 03:30 PM   #16
Lurker

rapleylikeba is an excellent contributorrapleylikeba is an excellent contributorrapleylikeba is an excellent contributorrapleylikeba is an excellent contributorrapleylikeba is an excellent contributorrapleylikeba is an excellent contributorrapleylikeba is an excellent contributorrapleylikeba is an excellent contributorrapleylikeba is an excellent contributorrapleylikeba is an excellent contributorrapleylikeba is an excellent contributor
Re: Spelling and grammar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudanglee View Post
I'm not sure but I've heard spelling isn't taught in school these days - kids are told to spell things how they sound.
You're right... at least in secondary schools.

Many people are forgetting their capital letters, full stops and to use a capital letter for a proper noun. I'm in a set 1 English group in year 10 for my GCSE's which is the highest group, where we are aiming to get grade A's and A*'s. Many people don't know how to use their colons and semi-colons. Many cannot spell simple words like February or get their there/their/they're mixed up. My current English teacher has become so fed up tat he's now giving us spelling tests every week. Good!

Some don't remember to start a new paragraph! To be honest, that is a minority.

In set 3 and 4, some people are writing as if they are texting each other or chatting on an instant messaging site. Some people write things like "Hey, wot r u up 2 you gonna by a nu fone".

When I was in year 7, I was in the same class as my form since we didn't have ability sets for English until year 9. In one of our lessons, we had to make a book of puzzles. One boy in the group I was in, decided he would make the front cover for our group's book. He came back later, with a decent-looking cover with a nice colour scheme and a good selection of pictures, however, he had written our names without capital letters at the beginning of them AND he wrote 'the ulimate pizzel book' as the title.

Another wierd things these silly people do, is put exclamation marks at the end of every word or sentence! A title, date, phrase, quote or even a number! I know I used two of them just now but they are appropriate for what I just said.

Kids really do have to be taught these things!

Old 02-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #17
RJ Captain

garyw77 is getting startedgaryw77 is getting startedgaryw77 is getting startedgaryw77 is getting startedgaryw77 is getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferihegy View Post
Gary could be our grammar-expert and correct all posts...
Sorry, i have a full time job already!
garyw77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:54 PM   #18
Як-40 Капитан

LOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobby

With all that was said by the thread starter, I fully agree. I honestly think that if spelling is that much of a problem for those, then I would recommend that they really consider getting Firefox browser. It has a built in spell check, and I must say, it works rather well.
LOT 737-300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2009, 05:06 PM   #19
First Officer

lowflyer7 is a good contributorlowflyer7 is a good contributorlowflyer7 is a good contributorlowflyer7 is a good contributorlowflyer7 is a good contributorlowflyer7 is a good contributorlowflyer7 is a good contributorlowflyer7 is a good contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmu69 View Post
You're right, but if you re-read Furryforest's post, you'll notice he actually wrote something to that effect. Look at the post above yours and you'll know what he really meant (ups, I named someone - no offence).
Yep, you're right. Haven't read carefully enough there. Then I can say I totally agree with your post, furry!
Old 02-03-2009, 07:33 PM   #20
Admin

furryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobby

I'd just like to say i appreciate the support of the previous posters. Starting this thread required a bit of careful thought, i'd hoped to avoid offending anyone and it seems that i have managed it (for once!!!)

Thank you for taking the thread in the spirit it was intended.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:21 PM   #21
Operations Director

Captain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dog

Actually, Kevin and I give up. I'm sure Kev Kev will concur. I tried, Kevin has tried. Doesn't work. As I read this I seen people saying they'll clean up their act only to have spelling and grammar mistakes in their post. It's kinda like pissing in the wind.

If you love something let it go, if it doesn't come back, track it down and kill it.
Captain Wahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:27 PM   #22
Intercontinentaux

I go to a public high school and if you spend one minute in the hallways you'd be shocked at how rude, ignorant, and illiterate teenagers have become. All they do is text on those sidekick cellphones like the world is going to end. Their vocabulary is made of phrases like "more better", "didn't do nothing", "hanged up" (hung up), "where you at". The word "mad" is used to replace "a lot", "lots", etc, and to emphasize something. Ex.:

There were a lot of dogs chasing the boy.
There were mad dogs chasing the boy.
That girl is so cute.
That girl is mad cute.

No Child Left Behind... I see how well that has worked.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:37 PM   #23
Operations Director

Captain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Angel No.5 View Post
Sadly here in the US find it acceptable to speak improper english. On the contrary, when you speak proper english, you're seen as too uptight, and in my case as a Pacific Islander, a sell out.

Sad stuff. Where is today's society going these days?
I hate to give you an answer. It'll get political and then no one will like me again and I am trying to get birthday gifts so I'll keep my mouth shut.

If you love something let it go, if it doesn't come back, track it down and kill it.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:41 PM   #24
Operations Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intercontinentaux View Post
I go to a public high school and if you spend one minute in the hallways you'd be shocked at how rude, ignorant, and illiterate teenagers have become. All they do is text on those sidekick cellphones like the world is going to end. Their vocabulary is made of phrases like "more better", "didn't do nothing", "hanged up" (hung up), "where you at". The word "mad" is used to replace "a lot", "lots", etc, and to emphasize something. Ex.:

There were a lot of dogs chasing the boy.
There were mad dogs chasing the boy.
That girl is so cute.
That girl is mad cute.

No Child Left Behind... I see how well that has worked.
There were stacks of heads chislin in the easy.

His whip is a janky hoopty.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:59 PM   #25
Air Wisconsin

a_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Wahoo View Post
Actually, Kevin and I give up. I'm sure Kev Kev will concur. I tried, Kevin has tried. Doesn't work. As I read this I seen people saying they'll clean up their act only to have spelling and grammar mistakes in their post. It's kinda like pissing in the wind.
Absolutely - this would be a huge part of why Kevin started his own [self promotion]forum[/self promotion].
a_loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:20 PM   #26
Intercontinentaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Wahoo View Post
There were stacks of heads chislin in the easy.

His whip is a janky hoopty.
Amen to whatever that is
Old 02-03-2009, 10:42 PM   #27
RJ First Officer

A330/777 is getting startedA330/777 is getting startedA330/777 is getting startedA330/777 is getting startedA330/777 is getting started

All it takes to clean up one's post is a simple read through of it before you click, "post".

777-300ER + A330-300 = Favorites
A330/777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:00 AM   #28
Master ATP Captain

n777co is an excellent contributorn777co is an excellent contributorn777co is an excellent contributorn777co is an excellent contributorn777co is an excellent contributorn777co is an excellent contributorn777co is an excellent contributorn777co is an excellent contributorn777co is an excellent contributorn777co is an excellent contributorn777co is an excellent contributor

While I must say I am no angel in this subject, I have personally noiteced a slight nose dive in this subject. Thanks Furry for posting this and pointing it out. Hopefully it will do some good.

SrA USAF Lakenheath AB
n777co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:59 AM   #29
Captain

Digital is a diecast iconDigital is a diecast iconDigital is a diecast iconDigital is a diecast iconDigital is a diecast iconDigital is a diecast iconDigital is a diecast iconDigital is a diecast iconDigital is a diecast iconDigital is a diecast iconDigital is a diecast icon

Let's keep in mind this is a messege board, not a term paper. It's one of the lowest, crudest forms of writeing one can possibly publish on the web. I'm a teacher, and I normally have to police grammer 2/3rds of the day. Here I couldn't care less, in fact its nice to have a place where I can relax, chat, and even bicker without having to go over my text more than once.

That being said, sometimes for the sake of clarity and even sanity, people just need to type clearly enough to be understood. It's true we have an international messege board, with people from many countries, levels of english comprehension, and age so its impossible to expect impeccable posting. Still, a resonable amount of observation of the rules of the english language (as that is the lingua franca of this board) is expected. Furry's post should be observed by all.

I also think its funny how often the worst spelling offenders are the American youth who frequent this site, rather than the international members, whose english is'nt their first language.
Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:28 AM   #30
Як-40 Капитан

LOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital View Post

I also think its funny how often the worst spelling offenders are the American youth who frequent this site, rather than the international members, whose english is'nt their first language.
Well, I'd say it's safe for both the US and UK youth, possibly more from the UK side in my opinion, though that is because they seemed to have joined in larger numbers (either that, or managed to post more.) I was always boggled by why most of their posts look like to have been typed up on a cell phone using cell phone message limits. I will admit, some of the "offending members" have improved greatly since they first posted.
LOT 737-300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: