Whatever happened to the veterans? - Page 2 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Ground Control > General Squawk Talk

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-23-2008, 11:47 AM   #16
Admin

furryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobby
Re: Whatever happened to the veterans?

Cap i have to agree with you-the vets always brought a good deal of banter to the forums-something which is missed. Though i do agree with Waffle on the point that newer members sometimes get a hard time that goes beyond what should be allowed. I remember the vets used to have a way of putting you in your place in a very subtle, unoffensive way. I remember you doing it to me once of twice (don't worry a few years of therapy and i have come to terms with it all) Some members go straight out on an offensive against the offenders. I don't think it's out of spite but purely out of frustration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2008, 11:59 AM   #17
RJ Captain

cyhupilot is flying under the radarcyhupilot is flying under the radarcyhupilot is flying under the radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8-KMN View Post
Surely not all young members on this forum are 'YOUNG TEENAGE BRATS WHO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS' - this is pure stereotyping. The fact is that some new younger members tend to treat this forum as if they were the only ones using it - they duplicate posts to get attention; post one-liners; and post selfish, unnecessary contents which does not require the attention of others (e.g. 'I wud like one too' and 'Nice model'). But then again, other senior members tend to do the same every now and then, and yet they seem to get away with it!
Sorry if it sounded as if I was stereotyping, I was specifically talking about the select few young teenagers who ask stupid questions.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:13 PM   #18
Operations Director

waffle is a legend of the hobbywaffle is a legend of the hobbywaffle is a legend of the hobbywaffle is a legend of the hobbywaffle is a legend of the hobbywaffle is a legend of the hobbywaffle is a legend of the hobbywaffle is a legend of the hobbywaffle is a legend of the hobbywaffle is a legend of the hobbywaffle is a legend of the hobby

It also goes back that there is an ignore feature on the forums. If you don't like a certain individual just use the ignore feature. If you used that for a handful of members it would solve alot of the unnecessary banter!

Old 04-23-2008, 02:09 PM   #19
Як-40 Капитан

LOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobby

I know I made a promise to myself not to return until later, if the situation improves and some of the members that were mentioned improved, but with some of thse threads I certainly would like to input my two cents. I hope no one seems to find it upsetting or offensive, just my perspective on this issue and the things discussed.

@ waffle, while the ignore button will ignore the original post involved, it is not entirely foolproof. Since only the original post is being ignored, when that post gets quoted, guess what? You can see it. Also, you'll still see it when the member goes on a multiposting spree (which admittingly, can get quite annoying to scroll down, especially if you have to do it for 3/4 of the threads here). I know this because I had tried the "Ignore post feature" on another member who I was pretty upset at here. It didn't work out too well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airflorid 54
again i will say i am sorry for the boeing vs airbus
As Brandon had said, it is not only the A vs. B but all the crazy one liners you do, plus multiposting while you could've clearly used the EDIT POST button to add more into it. I use it all the time, its a very useful button to use, and can save your butt at times if you made a serious error. Also, don't be going into every thread where a model is for sale and say you're going to buy it when you're clearly not. Also try to pick up on spelling and grammar (particularly capitlization and punctuation), it can go a far way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyhupilot
Stupid one-liners happen to be much less annoying than a 10 to 15 line lecture from grumpy so called "veterans"

I won't do it, but I think someone should create an anonymous poll asking this:

Who has been more annoying recently, the young teenage brats who ask stupid questions or the grumpy "veterans" who can't seem to function properly when they see a post they don't like?

I vote for the latter and I think many other members agree.
Well, to be honest, I don't think the poll would work if it were to be anonymous, only because if it were, then the members who are known to have multiple accounts would use them to vote more than once, thus skewing the vote. A public poll in my opinion would be considerably better. At first, the "lectures" do start politly with most members, then as those members keep posting and ignoring the members that are telling htat member to improve keep on doing what they're doing, people start to become impatient and angry. It is not only Kev, Paul and I who are getting upset, it's the whole forum that have been here prior to 2007.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffle
Vets? About the only one of those is 27L if you don't remember what the "dark side" was all about, then you're not really a vet. There are a certain handful of members (I'm not going to name names) that think they are deserving of more then the standard member, and that is complete bs. On top of that there are certain members of this "elitist" sect that have been personally attacking other members and that in itself won't be tolerated because they themselves should look in the mirror to see where they started at way back when. For the most part people get lives away from the forums at least that is the eventual goal, because in the end there is more to this world then little toy airplanes.
Does that mean to be a US military veteran you'd have to have been fighting in the 1776 US Revolutionary war? I think the word "vet" is usually applied here to say someone who has been on W900 for more than two to three years. As for that elitist thing, I think it can be considered a rite of passage, many member in the last 4 years had gone through it, even I did. I don't think it's meant so much to offend as try to show the norms of the forum though. I also remember when there was a kid going around spamming a forum, they would be delt with pretty quickly by a mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert
Perhaps there are too many model aircraft collector forums and they have migrated to DAC or 400sh, where you get much more mature and positive input - much more fun as well!
I myself had been frequenting 400SH more than the W900 network sites as of late, I do have to admit, 400SH, despite the slight Aeroclassics bias is pretty great, its like a mixture of W900 and DA.C from 3 years ago. The posts there don't require a decoding ring either and have substance in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8-KMN
Surely not all young members on this forum are 'YOUNG TEENAGE BRATS WHO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS' - this is pure stereotyping. The fact is that some new younger members tend to treat this forum as if they were the only ones using it - they duplicate posts to get attention; post one-liners; and post selfish, unnecessary contents which does not require the attention of others (e.g. 'I wud like one too' and 'Nice model'). But then again, other senior members tend to do the same every now and then, and yet they seem to get away with it!
It is not an issue with age as some members have suggested, as much as it's proper forum etiquitte. I have seen equally stupid and immature arguments from people who are much older than these kids. To be honest, there are quite a few people who started here when they were 11 and 13 and they were pretty well accepted. W900 has had a pretty high quality standard that it kept itself until about a year ago. I try not to personally insult anyone on W900 itself, but as in the case of one member, the posts he kept on making and his behavior on the forum just got my to snap at him. But that was pretty much in only at least 1 member. I can't speak for others though.

With all of this said, I remember a time when the average age of W900 was around the mid 20s at least, or so it felt, and the post did not need a massive AOL'er to English translator to make the posts readable, and the discussions were pretty damn informative and interesting. In the past 3 years, I have started to see the average age of active members to start dropping to preteen age and the quality of posts and threads starting to fall. I understand that the forum administrators are very busy people, so I think the best solution would be to recruit some respected members who visit W900 on a regular basis to watch over the forum, and if there is a particluarly troublesome member, then the mod would foward the member to the admin to take care of. I'm sure that this would take a huge burdon off the backs of the admin. I for one don't like to see W900 forum turn into a kid's club. Apart from the forum itself, W900 has many great things, such as the model reviews, the gallery, the my collection feature (which is one of my favorite ones, helps me keep track of how many models I buy in a period of time.)
Old 04-23-2008, 05:31 PM   #20

Swami8 is flying under the radarSwami8 is flying under the radar

Sorry Cap! Time's been quite short as of late, so I usually have time to pop in and check out new postings and pop out again. Hope all is wel!
Old 04-23-2008, 08:42 PM   #21
Tech Junkie

ek&sq is a good contributorek&sq is a good contributorek&sq is a good contributorek&sq is a good contributorek&sq is a good contributorek&sq is a good contributorek&sq is a good contributorek&sq is a good contributorek&sq is a good contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyhupilot View Post
Sorry if it sounded as if I was stereotyping, I was specifically talking about the select few young teenagers who ask stupid questions.
Can you go beyond 'select few young teenagers'? Start naming 'em
Old 04-23-2008, 09:36 PM   #22
Як-40 Капитан

LOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobby

Do you really think that is needed? I mean if you read the forum and then interpret it, you'll who he means by "select few teenagers." Naming them in my opinion will just cause more problems than the forum needs and already has on it's hands.

Last edited by LOT 737-300; 04-23-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:50 PM   #23
RJ Captain

cyhupilot is flying under the radarcyhupilot is flying under the radarcyhupilot is flying under the radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ek&sq View Post
Can you go beyond 'select few young teenagers'? Start naming 'em

You're not in that category
Old 04-24-2008, 12:32 AM   #24
Operations Director

Captain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dog

Well, it just seems to me, and I am no expert, that meaningful posts by members go along way. I know we all are probably guilty of the occasional one liner or senseless banter, but it is the respect that has to be earned. If you made 1000 posts of nothing but one-liners and posts that essentially say nothing it is hard to earn respect. You could have 100 posts that say something meaningful, make sense, make a good contribution to the forum and throw in a few one-liners and senseless silliness and I think you would probably be respected over the 1000 post ATP Captain or whatever you would be then.

I remember when Waffle and I would get into it sometimes when I first started, but now I love Waffle. (Especially with butter and syrup). Hey Waffle, how come I can't ignore you?

Swami, there is no excuse for you young man!

I realize that people have lives away from Wings900, but when people go away and don't come back after they have been involved for so long or intense, it just seems there is a reason other than they are busy. I am busy too but I still check in to see who's on or what posts or threads are out there. When you see a lot of names that you never seen before or SOS threads it just turns me off. As I am sure many others.

I have nothing against newbies. We all have been there and done that. But when I started as well as the veterans and more respected members who are new, the first few posts and threads said something.

I see that some people say why we "veterans" can get away with things? I guess it's like when grandpa farts we all just look the other way. Same thing here.

If you love something let it go, if it doesn't come back, track it down and kill it.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:05 AM   #25
ATP Captain

Eherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributor

Sorry, I've been in jail. Should be out soon. Food here sucks, but we have cable. Wahoo, I'll call you when I get out - sure could use a pack of smokes. By the way, I got a jail tattoo on my stomach, it says "thug life" and took about two months to complete. I don't get this whole vet thing, I don't even like animals, I thought the only doctor was Gerard - is he a vet?
Old 04-24-2008, 01:12 AM   #26
Operations Director

Captain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eherran View Post
Sorry, I've been in jail. Should be out soon. Food here sucks, but we have cable. Wahoo, I'll call you when I get out - sure could use a pack of smokes. By the way, I got a jail tattoo on my stomach, it says "thug life" and took about two months to complete. I don't get this whole vet thing, I don't even like animals, I thought the only doctor was Gerard - is he a vet?

This is what I miss.

Doc is a vet, but he only works on Kangroos.

If you love something let it go, if it doesn't come back, track it down and kill it.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:24 AM   #27
Operations Director

flyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Wahoo View Post
This is what I miss.

Hey, watch it buster! You're disenfranchising my very large practise of quokkas, bilbys and numbats.

Ever seen a numbat on the edge???

Great to see Emil is back from his honeymoon with "Snake" - how was low security detention? Missed you buddy!

Seriously though, the point that Brian brings up with this thread is important. There has to be a balance between levity and meaningful contributions. Many of us are very busy in our lives away from W900 and the dilution of threads with rot over the last 9+ months has really diminished the enjoyment of the forums for me. I am as guilty as anyone for posting light-hearted stuff but I try to respect the ken of each thread and stick on topic. Absolutely hate posers who pretend to be other than what they are - they stand out a mile and aren't fooling anyone - YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE! I have been really turned off recently by the spate of new threads which seem to be just random ideas rather than newsworthy or debatable topics. There are some threads I just don't want to visit when I see who has been posting - they do nothing to enrich my life.

I guess the single word that best sums it up is respect. Unless you are a cornucopia of aviation or modelling knowledge, it seems unlikely that one could rack up several hundred posts in just a few months without just being a serial pest. There have been a lot of really great contributors that have joined W900 in the last year - I really enjoy reading their posts.

I guess we can all take a wake-up call from this. The forums are what we make them. I deeply miss some of the guys that have disappeared recently - hopefully they will return if the ship regains its course - but I would hate to see other members leaving if the joy of visiting here disappears. Let's all be respectful of each other and try and make sure our contributions enhance the wonderful meeting-place Wings900 has been for collectors.

Happy collecting fellas!

Old 04-24-2008, 07:38 PM   #28
Operations Director

Well said Doc, and LOTski.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:35 PM   #29
RJ Captain

UAL DC-10 is a good contributorUAL DC-10 is a good contributorUAL DC-10 is a good contributorUAL DC-10 is a good contributorUAL DC-10 is a good contributorUAL DC-10 is a good contributorUAL DC-10 is a good contributorUAL DC-10 is a good contributorUAL DC-10 is a good contributor

Wahoo I remember when I joined several months ago and there were plenty of vets, I hope that they back after this surge of newer members dies down because you are right it just isn't Wings 900 when it's dominated by some teenagers.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:05 PM   #30
Master ATP Captain

n777co is an excellent contributorn777co is an excellent contributorn777co is an excellent contributorn777co is an excellent contributorn777co is an excellent contributorn777co is an excellent contributorn777co is an excellent contributorn777co is an excellent contributorn777co is an excellent contributorn777co is an excellent contributorn777co is an excellent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eherran View Post
Hey look who decieded to climb out from under the rock!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Wahoo View Post
This is what I miss.

I have to say THIS is also what I miss and many other members. By the way doesn't Doc specialize in cactuses repair???

But Doc and LOTski I'm with you both and can't wait for the day that Kevin, 27L, D', and everyone else would come back.

SrA USAF Lakenheath AB

Last edited by n777co; 04-24-2008 at 09:14 PM.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: