FlyingDoc should be Flyingkook! - Page 5 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Ground Control > General Squawk Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-14-2008, 07:16 PM   #61
Operations Director

Captain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dog
Re: FlyingDoc should be Flyingkook!

Hey Gerard, is it hard to walk around with a head as big as yours to contain that huge, magnificent brain you have? Einstein may have been really smart, then there's Flying Doc.

If you love something let it go, if it doesn't come back, track it down and kill it.
Captain Wahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2008, 09:56 AM   #62
Operations Director

flyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dog

Take it easy Cap....

Today's contribution is also a tribute. This is a picture of a pair of 6 Squadron F-111's departing RAAF East Sale back in 1987. The aircraft at left is A8-128 and the photo has special significance. Just 2 hours after the shot was taken, the hog went down over NSW with the loss of both Flt Lt Mark Fallon and FO Bill Pike. The photographer wished this to be dedicated to them. Lest we forget...

flyingdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:29 AM   #63
Operations Director

flyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dog

Further to my story about the disused old Canberra bombers, I found these brilliant photos of another derelict RAAF Canberra - a shadow of its former glory.

(the ones in the Essendon graveyard were a bare metal finish)

Old 07-30-2008, 10:53 AM   #64
Operations Director

I just love this photograph!! A RAAF Trainer...

Old 08-02-2008, 09:42 AM   #65
Operations Director

More from my dusty, dusty filing cabinet - the Dassault Mirage III. The RAAF flew a version that was modified somewhat. They wanted to call it a IIIA (for Australia) but that designation was already taken so it became a IIIO (for Oz!!!).

Most of my memories of them are from airshows and museums as they were mostly stationed up north or at Butterworth in Malaysia.

We Aussie collectors are lucky as Franklin Mint have released 2 of these in RAAF liveries this year and another 2 are on the way next year.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:10 PM   #66
Operations Director

Another dusty old pic - the venerable Chinook. No longer in service with the RAAF but the Army aviation regiment still uses them. I've fond memories of these birds and remember seeing a civilian version (? a Vertol 107?) flown by Pan Am when I visited New York as a kid.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:38 AM   #67
Operations Director

Captain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dog

That Chinook is a beast isn't it? I have a buddy that flew CH46 in Desert Storm.

If you love something let it go, if it doesn't come back, track it down and kill it.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:01 PM   #68
Operations Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Wahoo View Post
That Chinook is a beast isn't it? I have a buddy that flew CH46 in Desert Storm.
Yep - a beast she is and one of the most enduring heavy lift helo's of all time...

Another that I will especially miss is the B707. I got up close and personal with one of the RAAF tankers at Avalon last year but wiped my memory card in an act of stupidity. I think I have found a couple of rolls of conventional film from that day last year and will get them processed next weekend. I hope there will be some pics (albeit in lowviz grey) because these majestic beauties have now left active service as the A330 tankers have started to arrive. Hard to imagine they were flying our skies in Qantas livery not long after I was born!

Old 08-07-2008, 07:12 AM   #69
Operations Director

I don't remember this one - before my time but I'm sure Wahoo will

A superbly restored RAAF Hawker Demon.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:26 AM   #70
Senior Captain

Chard is getting startedChard is getting startedChard is getting startedChard is getting startedChard is getting started

Always a pleasure to visit your threads Doc, Always informative and Retro!

We had a F-111 do a "Dump N Burn" last year at Auckland Air show, pretty impressive stuff. Rather sad that the next generation of RNZAF pilots wouldn't have even seen fighter planes in our colours........ It was always specials looking out of the class room window and seeing a pair of A-4 rushing across Cook Straight.

Bring Back Our Squadrons!

Chard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:15 AM   #71
Operations Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chard View Post

We had a F-111 do a "Dump N Burn" last year at Auckland Air show, pretty impressive stuff. Rather sad that the next generation of RNZAF pilots wouldn't have even seen fighter planes in our colours........ It was always specials looking out of the class room window and seeing a pair of A-4 rushing across Cook Straight.

Thanks for the kind words Hamish. I couldn't agree with you more - by coincidence I was reading an old article about the RNZAF Skyhawks only yesterday. They were a beautiful aircraft and I miss them too. I was actually pondering doing a little mini-series about aviation in New Zealand sometime too, even though I am no expert.

Will see if I can find a decent pic of those RNZAF birds too.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:40 PM   #72
Operations Director

You know Doc, we are the same age.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:53 AM   #73
Puddle Jumper

Gyrocaptain is flying under the radar

I'm already missing the 707's.
In 1976, my first Qantas flight at the tender age of 9 was AKL-SYD in one of these. It's an experience I'll never forget. It was a lot noisier than the Air-NZ DC10 we'd gone over in (MEL-CHC)... Makes an impression on a young (already unhinging) mind.
We had one of the last 707 tankers here at the Edinburgh air display last October. I think I've got the digicam images kicking around somewhere. I shall look.

As for Kiwi Kahus, they were not a rare sight in the skies over Canberra in the mid 90's when I was working there. Watching a vic of 'em hammering in over the lake was always very cool. Gone now too.
Gyrocaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:48 AM   #74
Operations Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chard View Post

Here you go - the RNZAF Skyhawks flew some beaut liveries but this was my favorite.

And an apology in advance - much as I loved these birds, the RNZAF certainly did have a few mishaps with them... so be warned; the Oh Bugger thread may run a little mini-series soon!

Old 08-11-2008, 11:18 AM   #75
Operations Director

Another one that I am going to miss when it is retired in the near future - the de Havilland DHC-4 Caribou. What a brilliant STOL medium freighter!!!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: