FlyingDoc should be Flyingkook! - Page 4 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Ground Control > General Squawk Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-01-2008, 03:44 AM   #46
RJ First Officer

surviv0r is flying under the radar
Re: FlyingDoc should be Flyingkook!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty View Post
I feel honoured to be apart of a "family" that is so friendly, so knowledgeable and who no matter what their professions are treat everyone even newbies like myself as a "mate" - I have found this hobby turn into an addiction (as my wife would say - over 400 aircraft within 4mths) but it also people like the Doc and Captain who make one continue with this great hobby - THANK YOU ONE AND ALL
400 aircrafts in 4 months?? woooaAAAH!! i thought i had a problem
surviv0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2008, 12:07 PM   #47
Operations Director

flyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Wahoo View Post
Where is the little jerk these days? Don't tell me working!
The little jerk has been trawling his photo archive to bring some RAAF memories to this thread. Seeing as I've just found my PNG photos - this one may be a good RAAF moment to start with - a Herc (C-130H) on Goodenough Island, late 1980's.

flyingdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:31 PM   #48
Admin

furryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobby

Its so shiny!!

Old 07-07-2008, 12:58 PM   #49
Operations Director

Captain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dog

There's the little jerk! So nice to see him back! Maybe now he'll be upgraded to "my buddy" status!!!

If you love something let it go, if it doesn't come back, track it down and kill it.
Captain Wahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:13 AM   #50
Operations Director

flyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dog

My b-b-b-b-buddy Buck!!

Here's a great pic of a RAAF Herc emerging out of a cloud of dust (I love the way they can reverse the props!) that I got at the RAAF Avalon Open Day back in about 1979 as a high school student. not so shiny!

Old 07-08-2008, 11:58 AM   #51
Operations Director

Captain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dog

Now there's a winner. I remember landing with the ATR and throwing it into deep ground fine almost reverse and getting "white out" when there was snow on the ground.

If you love something let it go, if it doesn't come back, track it down and kill it.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:42 AM   #52
Operations Director

Any of the younger fellas want to get a feel of what Wahoo is talking about, just get a bowl of sifted plain flour and put mum's MixMaster in it on High speed for about 30 seconds - you'll see what I mean!

Here's a pic I really like - it is special to me for a couple of reasons. Foremost is that the pilot is Jeff Trappet. He was the CO of the RAAF Roulettes aerobatic team back in the 1980's, and he was also briefly my patient. In March, 1988 there was a mid-air collision when one of the other members of the team clipped him from behind as they were practicing for a Jubilee celebration at RAAF East Sale. I was on duty at the local hospital when both pilots were brought in. The more junior pilot ejected safely but Jeff brought his damaged plane in for a wheels-up landing. Both suffered back injuries but neither plane ever flew again.

The other reason is the P-51D Mustang. I believe that Jeff actually owned this aircraft and he used to fly it in airshows. The first time I ever saw it in the air it took my breath away how fast it was!! Only when an F/A-18 Hornet came over next did it not look the fastest thing in the sky... A truly magnificent piece of machinery!

Old 07-09-2008, 07:32 PM   #53
Operations Director

P51 is a crazy awesome plane.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:41 PM   #54
Admin

furryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdoc View Post
My b-b-b-b-buddy Buck!!

Here's a great pic of a RAAF Herc emerging out of a cloud of dust (I love the way they can reverse the props!) that I got at the RAAF Avalon Open Day back in about 1979 as a high school student. not so shiny!
Chocolate mmmmm

Quote:
Now there's a winner. I remember landing with the ATR and throwing it into deep ground fine almost reverse and getting "white out" when there was snow on the ground.
Hang on, hang on....yeah got them. I knew i'd find my sandbags here somewhere

Quote:
P51 is a crazy awesome plane.
Great plane-it trully deserves its title as the second best fighter in WW2
Old 07-11-2008, 11:51 AM   #55
Operations Director

I really liked it when the Roulettes flew Aeromacchis - got to watch them practice for a while out of RAAF East Sale. Although the Pilatus PC-9 is a very fine plane, and probably an excellent trainer, can't help but feel they are a little bit Mickey Mouse compared with a jet.

Here's a picture of the Roulettes back in the 1980's. In retrospect an awful lot of those planes were write-offs I guess.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:57 AM   #56
Operations Director

The venerable Canberra bomber! Built by English Electric and named for the capital city of Australia (because it was the first export customer), these did not finish service with the RAF until 2 years ago! Here in Australia, most were consigned to the scrap heap by the late 1970's. In 1979 I was doing work experience at Essendon Airport where there were a half dozen of these old birds gathering rust at the plane graveyard. In lunch breaks I could slip away and sit inside the cockpit. Sadly, the exposure to years of harsh sun had caused the plexiglass to become opaque. Nonetheless, I did manage to keep a cockpit handle as a souvenir.

The Canberra was the first jet to fly non-stop across the Atlantic and set world altitude records. It served the RAAF well in Vietnam as a high-altitude bomber. Mostly, they flew with 2 Squadron and the last operational flights were in 1982.

This pic is interesting as it depicts the only British-built Canberras to enter RAAF service - A84-307 and A84-125. These 2 were sent out in 1951 and 1952. The remaining 48 planes were built under license by the Government Aircraft Factory in Australia as Mk.20's with the serials A84-201 to -248.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:56 AM   #57
Admin

Do NASA still have their Canberra's?
Old 07-13-2008, 12:40 PM   #58
Operations Director

Those are very interesting Mr. Doc. Interesting how the first fighter jets looked way back when.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:05 AM   #59
Operations Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryforest View Post
Do NASA still have their Canberra's?
Not sure that the NASA B-57's are really still Canberras, given how much they have been modified! Yes the fuselage and landing gear are original but that's about it. Both are still in active service and apparently there are no current plans to scrap them.

The Indian Air Force only retired theirs last year and apparently the Air Force of Peru still flies them. About 10 are apparently in flying condition in private hands.

Quote:
Those are very interesting Mr. Doc. Interesting how the first fighter jets looked way back when.
Interesting point Cap aboot fighters and bombers. The Canberra was only ever a light bomber and recon aircraft, and yet it was developed directly from Mosquito and Meteor designs! Perhaps best known of these kerfuffles of whether a plane was a fighter or bomber was the F-111. Massive changes in specs and delays in production saw this bomber retain its "F" (fighter) prefix!

The Hog or Aardvark was another staple of the RAAF as I was growing up and remains in service. The spectacular dump and burn from the dual afterburners remains one of the great sights at any airshow. I remember watching one come in fast and low over the railyards in Melbourne on New Years Eve for the Millennium and did the dump and burn just as it went from dead in front of me as roared at about 100m right over my head!!! Unforgettable...

Old 07-14-2008, 06:28 AM   #60
RJ Captain

coilsw6 is getting startedcoilsw6 is getting startedcoilsw6 is getting startedcoilsw6 is getting started

Great pics Doc,
takes me back to the time at other RAAF bases. Williamstown and sandbagging at Nowra. Used to see some great sights there back in the mid 80's.
Used to see all the boys going through their routines before any public event...
Yep they were good... VERY, VERY GOOD. Bless em all...

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: