London Heathrow - early pics - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Ground Control > General Squawk Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-24-2007, 05:59 AM   #1
Operations Director

flyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dog
London Heathrow - early pics

Here are some pics of Heathrow from its early days in the 1940's when it was simply London Airport, through to the 60's. With the surge in retro models becoming available I hope we will see some members making retro airports to display their fleets of wonderful yesteryear.

For a brief history, visit: http://www.milesfaster.co.uk/informa...ow-history.htm

Before the first terminal was completed in 1955, the airport was a collection of tents. Apart from collecting your boarding pass, drinks could be bought from the bar.
[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Jet passenger services began in 1952 when the 1st concrete runway was completed and BOAC started flying Comets.

An aerial view of LHR in 1955.
[IMG][/IMG]

Construction on the first terminal the Britannic Building about the same time.
[IMG][/IMG]

A BOAC Stratocruiser in front of the hangar - same vintage. Note the sideways-folding vertical stabilizer to allow the plane to fit inside!
[IMG][/IMG]

BOAC at Heathrow. Another Strat and a very early Speedbird.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

The 1950 Control Tower.

flyingdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2007, 06:02 AM   #2
Admin

furryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobby
Re: London Heathrow - early pics

When you look at Heathrow past and present it really is an impressive effort whether you like or loathe the airport
Old 04-24-2007, 06:05 AM   #3
Operations Director

flyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dog

Photos from the 1960's.

Here are some pics from the 1960's - a beautiful era in aviation.

These ones especially for am265

Old 04-24-2007, 06:13 AM   #4
Operations Director

And some aerial shots circa 1962-1967.

The first is by Clive Dyball. Clive used to work on Comets at LHR before emigrating to Australia. He finished his career at Ansett in Melbourne and has been a big contributer to airliners.net. He has a huge collection of great photos which I hope he will release on CD one day!

Old 04-24-2007, 06:29 AM   #5
Earning My Wings

am265 is flying under the radar

Thanks for the pics. The pic taken from the bac 1-11 will be the basis of my model airport. This will be my first airport and will be built into a coffee table (for protection and display but mainly because of lack of room ). It would be fun to build the whole airport but I don't have the time and space now.
am265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:36 AM   #6
Operations Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by am265 View Post
Thanks for the pics. The pic taken from the bac 1-11 will be the basis of my model airport. This will be my first airport and will be built into a coffee table (for protection and display but mainly because of lack of room ). It would be fun to build the whole airport but I don't have the time and space now.
You are welcome my friend. Good luck with the airport. Make sure you post pics some time - I would love to see how it turns out!

Old 04-24-2007, 06:08 PM   #7
Senior Captain

Chard is getting startedChard is getting startedChard is getting startedChard is getting startedChard is getting started

Thanks for the pics, it has come a long way.

Chard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:12 PM   #8
ATP Captain

Eherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributor

Doc: you've outdone yourself! These are simply stunning pictures of a great era in aviation. Please keep the pictures coming.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:56 PM   #9
Operations Director

Captain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dog

Doc those are awesome. They should've been on my retro thread though!

If you love something let it go, if it doesn't come back, track it down and kill it.
Captain Wahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:40 PM   #10
Captain

Boeing777 is flying under the radar

Gotta love those pics! I absolutely love the classic stuff as well as new!

Kyle G. Ludwick International Airport
www.freewebs.com/internationalairportsinc
Muncie, Indiana
Member of the BSA

I AM A PROUD PILOT!!!
Boeing777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:41 PM   #11
Captain

Boeing777 is flying under the radar

What aircraft are you on in that onboard shot?

Kyle G. Ludwick International Airport
www.freewebs.com/internationalairportsinc
Muncie, Indiana
Member of the BSA

I AM A PROUD PILOT!!!
Boeing777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:49 PM   #12
RJ First Officer

Captain 777 Emirates is flying under the radar

Thanks for the pics, by the way when was LHR built?
Old 04-25-2007, 08:51 PM   #13
Operations Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing777 View Post
What aircraft are you on in that onboard shot?
I'm not on any plane!! Contrary to popular perception, I'm not quite that old!

Old 04-25-2007, 08:55 PM   #14
Operations Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain 777 Emirates View Post
Thanks for the pics, by the way when was LHR built?
Read the link in the first post. LHR remains controversial. During recent construction of Terminal 5, archeological finds show that it is an area of enormous historical interest. Ever since the 40's there has been concern with the increasing grab for land and the loss of many culturally important sites. It is no different 60 years on, although the airport is much larger and much much busier.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:41 AM   #15
Senior Collector

Albert is a diecast iconAlbert is a diecast iconAlbert is a diecast iconAlbert is a diecast iconAlbert is a diecast iconAlbert is a diecast iconAlbert is a diecast iconAlbert is a diecast iconAlbert is a diecast iconAlbert is a diecast iconAlbert is a diecast icon

I still mourn the closure of the Roof Gardens and viewing terraces on top of Terminals 1, 2 and the Queens Building. You didn't need a telephoto lens or have to worry about shooting through glass windows to get great shots. I spent many happy hours with my father there throughout the '60s spotting and taking photos. Those were wonderful days!
I am now attempting to recreate all this in 1/400 scale, starting with this......

Airport Designs - B1001-400 Control Tower Type 1
Albert is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: