Air Hostesses - Page 95 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Ground Control > General Squawk Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:00 AM   #1411
Operations Director

flyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dog
Re: Air Hostesses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbird View Post
wow, more than 1400 replies, more than 100.000 views and also running 22 month now! Great achivement, Gerard!
Here's my little contribution :
I think you are psychic!!!

I picked this one out just last night for posting - in particular I wanted to point out to Furry that there are still airlines where the hosties are kitted out in FMB's!!!

Thanks also to Aligator for the testosterone release - I do have the other pics from those posted that are part of a series - I am saving them up to be included in a series of posts that have the articles as well as the pictures. Don't worry - you will see them one day (tastefully presented - of course!) There are of course many others that will not be suitable for posting here. Some have already been posted on another thread which is more X-rated over at 400SH. I prefer a more gentlemanly thread over here.

flyingdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2009, 01:17 PM   #1412
Operations Director

Captain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdoc View Post
I think you are psychic!!!

I picked this one out just last night for posting - in particular I wanted to point out to Furry that there are still airlines where the hosties are kitted out in FMB's!!!

Thanks also to Aligator for the testosterone release - I do have the other pics from those posted that are part of a series - I am saving them up to be included in a series of posts that have the articles as well as the pictures. Don't worry - you will see them one day (tastefully presented - of course!) There are of course many others that will not be suitable for posting here. Some have already been posted on another thread which is more X-rated over at 400SH. I prefer a more gentlemanly thread over here.
That's because you are a classy guy Doc! And you know there are youngin's that view this show.

If you love something let it go, if it doesn't come back, track it down and kill it.
Captain Wahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:30 PM   #1413
Wings900 Team Member

Silverbird is a legend of the hobbySilverbird is a legend of the hobbySilverbird is a legend of the hobbySilverbird is a legend of the hobbySilverbird is a legend of the hobbySilverbird is a legend of the hobbySilverbird is a legend of the hobbySilverbird is a legend of the hobbySilverbird is a legend of the hobbySilverbird is a legend of the hobbySilverbird is a legend of the hobby

Silverbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2009, 09:36 PM   #1414
aba-yo

Takehiko is getting startedTakehiko is getting startedTakehiko is getting startedTakehiko is getting started

I'll add some.

All Nippon Airways.
1970~1974 campaign poster

Takehiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:34 AM   #1415
Operations Director

flyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dog

Beautiful retro shots Mohican - I love them!

I need to get the Beatles shots out of the way once and for all...

The Fab Four with TWA.

Check out the inside door!

Old 02-25-2009, 11:11 AM   #1416
Operations Director

Captain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdoc View Post
Beautiful retro shots Mohican - I love them!

I need to get the Beatles shots out of the way once and for all...

The Fab Four with TWA.

Check out the inside door!
Hey what's the big idea!?!? That's one of the more famous pictures of them getting off a 707.

If you love something let it go, if it doesn't come back, track it down and kill it.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:51 PM   #1417
Operations Director

I've got more Beatles shots but it's time to mix it up a little.

I love the animation in this video clip by former The Gathering frontwoman, Anneke van Giersbergen.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:55 PM   #1418
Operations Director

The Beatles with Pan Am hostie at the bottom of the steps at Idlewild in 1964. The use of scarves at the time to keep those beehive hairdo's in place seems quite common.

The aircraft is a B707, Clipper Defiance which was lost with all lives taking off from Miami in 1982. In addition, Flight 759 plowed into 6 houses and took another 8 lives on the ground.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:50 PM   #1419
Operations Director

My last post made me aware of something that I had not known before regarding the Beatles and the planes they flew on. I hope you will all forgive me if I post something a little bit different today - a little bit of history with some hostie connections thrown in. It will bring my Beatles series to an end.

The Fab Four flew on many different airlines - there is film footage of them standing on the steps of many different aircraft at London Airport, Orly, Arlanda and many more but the royalties for these clips are very expensive. Such was the newsworthiness of these four young men who really did change modern culture permanently around the globe.

They flew with many different airlines - obviously BOAC and Pan Am, but also BEA, SAS, American, TWA, Qantas, TAA. The aircraft varied also but most pics show the flagships of the time - DC-8s, Caravelles, Connies, Electras and especially B707's.

Here is an assortment of pics...

Here are the Beatles arriving at Schiphol in Amsterdam. The aircraft is a Sud Caravelle (check out the funky windows!) and I believe that the pic may be their return from their tour of Denmark on 5 June, 1964. I think those are SAS stewardesses just inside the aircraft door.

Here is another shot of the band being mobbed by reporters on arrival in Frankfurt - the poor hostie is being crushed!

THis one is on the tarmac at Liverpool after a successful tour abroad. The BEA hostess is among the contingent walking across to the terminal.

Although it is often assumed that this pic is the Beatles arriving in Sydney for the start of their 1964 tour on June 11, it is actually taken at London Airport on their arrival home at the end of a harrying tour on July 2, 1964. The trip to Australia was made on a BOAC B707, having done a concert in Hong Kong on the 10th. The flight was via Singapore with an overnight stop in Darwin for refuelling (yes - they were even mobbed there) before arriving in Sydney in a downpour and being paraded before the assembled m***** at Mascot on the back of an open truck, soaked to the bones despite the umbrellas provided by TAA in something of a marketing coup!

This more famous one is February 22, 1964 at London after the Beatles first (and enormously successful) visit to the USA. The aircraft is a Pan Am B707 and the fuselage has had a sticker "Jet Clipper Beatles" affixed. See the 2 stews at left of pic?

The most famous of all was the arrival of the Beatles for the first time in the USA at JFK on Pan Am Flt 101 from London to New York on February 7, 1964 aboard Jet Clipper Defiance and pictured in the previous post. Never had such a crowd been seen at an airport.

That tour was really quite short and was mostly for the purpose of appearing on the Ed Sullivan Show. Shooting was done in Miami and the band caught a National Airlines DC-8 on Feb 13. Here is a pic at the door of the Pan Am DC-8 that brought them back.

Surprisingly, it is harder to find pics of their return to the USA in August of 1964 when they did their first real tour of the country, beginning August 19 in San Francisco. Here are the band arriving on August 18 with hosties just visible at left.

The 1964 took in 25 cities in just over 4 weeks between August 19 and September 20!! Most of the travel was done overnight to avoid problems of mass hysteria at the airports and in some cities (Chicago and Boston come to mind), their plane was forbidden to land at the major airport (O'Hare and Logan) and used a "minor" (Midway, Hanscom Field) airfield instead! During the tour, manager Brian Epstein hired an Electra from American Flyers Airlines who did a lot of charter work.

The Electra provided spacious quarters and comfort during these overnight flights from one city to another as can be seen here.

Pictures of that Electra are hard to find but here is one.

Flying into Portland for the shows in Seattle and Vancouver, one of the Electra's engines caught fire! The plane was replaced with a L-049 Constellation for the trip down to Los Angeles the following day. Because the Connie was so much slower, their arrival to LAX was significantly delayed! Here is a photo of an AMerican Flyers Airline Constellation with a stewardess in front...

The story is to continue with more pics from the now-defunct American Flyers Airline.

Sadly, it has a tragic ending.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:23 AM   #1420
Operations Director

American Flyers Airways was established at Fort Worth in 1949 by its owner, Reed Pigman. Pigman was an early pioneer of aviation and was involved in the early development of both the ILS and VOR navigation systems in the 1930s. During World War II, Pigman had helped train many pilots for American Airlines as most of their pilots had been enlisted in the air force. Indeed, the logo of his pilot's school featured a blind-folded duck flying with a Loop Antenna dangling from its neck and the Morse letters "A" and "N" that were part of the 4-tower airport navigation systems developed in the 1930's.

Reed Pigman and stewardesses.

The airline's initial fleet was, like many airlines after the war, comprised of war surplus DC-3's and almost all of the pilots were ex-miltary. From 1960, the fleet was replaced with Electras and Constellations. The airline flew many charters for the US military.

Pics of American Flyers Airlines hosties...

The white summer uniform

The grey winter uniform

and next to another Electra of the fleet

More colorful uniforms of the mid-60's

During the 1964 Beatles tour, the band flew from city to city aboard the AFA Electra, N183H. The tour schedule was hectic with only the occasional rest day. As the tour drew to an end, there was the opportunity for a break between the penultimate concert in Dallas on August 18 and the final show in New York on the 20th. Reed Pigman offered the band the opportunity to come and stay at his reclusive ranch in the Ozarks of Missouri, near the border with Arkansas. The whole affair was top secret and Pigman met the Electra at Walnut Ridge where the firm had use of the old military airstrip and flew them out to his ranch about 60 miles away in his own personal plane.

The Pigman ranch

After a day of relaxing and swimming the band rejoined the Electra, which had been looted by excited teenagers overnight and finished their tour.

As a sad footnote to this episode, the very same plane was involved in a tragic accident not 2 years later near Ardmore, Oklahoma. Pigman would often pilot the Electras and was at the controls on a rainy Friday evening, April 22, 1966 with the airplane loaded with 93 mostly teen-aged Army recruits and a crew of five. The flight had been operating as a MAC charter flying new troops from Fort Ord, CA to Fort Benning, GA and was to land at Ardmore to refuel.

L-183 Electra N183H

The plane overshot the airstrip in bad weather and crashed into the side of a nearby hill. 83 people perished including Pigman and all of the crew:

Crew members were: Reed Pigman, pilot and President of American Flyers; Wilbur Marr, co-pilot; Charles M. Gray, flight engineer; Anthony Pica, chief flight engineer; and two stewardesses.... Wanda Stonecipher of Stratford, Oklahoma and Dyana Duncan of Jacksonville, Texas.

The remains of N183H

The Ardmore Memorial to the victims of the crash

An autopsy revealed that Reed Pigman had suffered a massive heart attack at the controls. The Civil Aerial Board investigation found that he was not wearing his harness as he was landing the plane and he probably slumped forward into the controls at low altitude, making it impossible for the co-pilot to wrest control of the plane. I understand that this air disaster has become an prime example of pilot safety instruction since. In addition it was discovered that Pigman, aged 59, had an 18-year history of heart troubles and was also diabetic, but that he had hidden the facts from medical examiners because they would have excluded him from renewing his pilots license.

Fallout from the Ardmore disaster left the airline operation struggling and it was sold off around 1971 to Universal airlines. The flight school remained, under the guidance of Reed Pigman, Jr., but it was moved back to Fort Worth in the 1970's before being sold.

As a final sad epilogue, here are photos of the 2 stewardesses killed in that awful accident; Dyana Duncan and Wanda Stonecipher.

Last edited by flyingdoc; 03-01-2009 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:49 AM   #1421
Operations Director

I don't think I can leave this side-thread finishing up on such a sad note... As it turns out I do have a couple more Beatles / Air Hostess shots which I will clean up and post later - I am not aware of any other planes the Beatles flew on going on to crash!

Natacha always makes me feel better!

Old 03-02-2009, 11:09 AM   #1422
Operations Director

Great pictures and great stories! One of your best posts Doc!!!

Old 03-02-2009, 07:33 PM   #1423
Operations Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Wahoo View Post
Great pictures and great stories! One of your best posts Doc!!!
Thanks Cap! It means a lot to me, coming from you. Those last shots really do need some cleaning up so I will have to hold them over for a little while.

For those of you that thought in-flight safety movies were a recent thing...

Check out this clip showing the safety film being displayed on a British South American Airways Avro York in the 1940's. The Stargirl is operating a projection camera that has the safety film.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:13 AM   #1424
Operations Director

Busy again and falling behind - I owe you all a couple.

These are random candid shots - mostly in Europe.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:12 AM   #1425
Operations Director

Coca Cola ads with Air Hostesses

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: