What are you? PC? - Page 3 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Ground Control > General Squawk Talk

View Poll Results: Politically correct?
Yes I don't want to offend 4 14.29%
No way, who cares 24 85.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-19-2007, 10:32 AM   #31
The Lead Solo

Blue Angel No.5 is a good contributorBlue Angel No.5 is a good contributorBlue Angel No.5 is a good contributorBlue Angel No.5 is a good contributorBlue Angel No.5 is a good contributorBlue Angel No.5 is a good contributorBlue Angel No.5 is a good contributorBlue Angel No.5 is a good contributorBlue Angel No.5 is a good contributorBlue Angel No.5 is a good contributorBlue Angel No.5 is a good contributor
Re: What are you? PC?

"Politically correct" can never be correct until politics itself can actually begin to excercise anything that is correct. "Politically correct" is created as a handicap and mostly caters the weak.
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2007, 11:21 AM   #32
ATP Captain

Eherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisvalla View Post
There is a difference between being polite and political correctness that sometimes gets lost when the pendulum swings from 'touchy-feely all warm inside to everyone' to 'f&%# everyone, I'll say what I please, screw whoever is listening'.

It certainly seems that you can't say anything anymore without someone taking offense, but you also don't have to offend everyone just because you have something to say. Bluntness has it's place, but not in diplomacy, public speaking, or relationships (NEVER, NEVER answer the question about how fat the jeans make her look... any answer is wrong! )
The voice of reason has chimed in. I obviously agree with you, I think what I'm trying to say is that I would never stand for having to measure my speech, for having to think long and hard before articulating a word, lest I offend someone. In other words, I would never yell fire in a crowded theatre, or use the "N" word, or use derrogatory or inflamatory language gratuitously. By the same token, I would never refrain from saying something just because I might offend a particularly sensitive individual. Based on that criteria, I would never say a word! Perfect example - one of my very best friends is black. To me he's just Ben, not black or african american or any of that other nonsense - just Ben. I have never had to refrain from saying anything in front of Ben for fear of offending him. He understands that if I comment on a particualr person, athlete or a crime or what have you, I'm not talking about the race of the individual, but rather about his/her actions. I wish the rest of America was like Ben. Similarly, I'm Hispanic, so you can imagine that same criteria applies to Ben's conversations with me and once again - I get it. Also, I believe a lot of times the difference between offending somebody or not is the way you say something and the context within which you say it. I think I remind my personal assistant how fat she is every single day and rather that being insulted or offended, she always gets a chuckle out of it, because the fact is - she's fat and she knows it. Needless to say, I tell her in a funny or sarcastic way, I don't just stand there and say "you are a big tub of lard". One last point; I rather err by being blunt, than by being a hypocrite. Just ask any of these holier than thou politicians that act all PC in front of the cameras and then stick their foot in their mouth off camera and get in huge trouble once their real feelings and beliefs reach the press.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:57 PM   #33
Senior Captain

Chrisvalla is a good contributorChrisvalla is a good contributorChrisvalla is a good contributorChrisvalla is a good contributorChrisvalla is a good contributorChrisvalla is a good contributorChrisvalla is a good contributorChrisvalla is a good contributorChrisvalla is a good contributorChrisvalla is a good contributor

Politicians are a special case of hypocrite, liar, thief, and all around institutionalized criminal. But it's fairly easy to tell when they're lying... their lips are moving.
Chrisvalla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2007, 12:34 AM   #34
Operations Director

Captain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisvalla View Post
Politicians are a special case of hypocrite, liar, thief, and all around institutionalized criminal. But it's fairly easy to tell when they're lying... their lips are moving.
That's what they say about lawyers too.

If you love something let it go, if it doesn't come back, track it down and kill it.
Captain Wahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 06:29 AM   #35
Operations Director

flyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Wahoo View Post
That's what they say about lawyers too.
Well, I'll be hornswoggled! You put out the bait but no bites!!!!

flyingdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 02:28 PM   #36
Operations Director

Captain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdoc View Post
Just like when I go fishing Doc!

If you love something let it go, if it doesn't come back, track it down and kill it.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:49 PM   #37
ATP Captain

Eherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributorEherran is a good contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdoc View Post
That's because I'm a retired lawyer, so I won't bite.

Quote:
Just like when I go fishing Doc!
That's because you hold the bait and hook in your hand and throw the rod in the water - it's supposed to be the other way around.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:53 AM   #38

Richie154 is flying under the radar

To hell with PC...I am an equal-oppertunity offender!
Richie154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:24 PM   #39
Operations Director

What happened to my thread I posted this morning? It disappeared.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:06 PM   #40
ATP Captain

Quote:
I didn't even get to read it - Was it that bad??

Speaking of PC, I heard something on the radio today (Glenn Beck show) that almost made me crash. Apparently the British will stop teaching about the Holocaust and about the Crusades, because they don't want to offend muslim factions that don't believe in these events or dispute the facts within them. Why is the British government not concerned with not offending Christians, jews and others?? Could it be fear?
Old 04-04-2007, 07:23 PM   #41
Operations Director

flyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eherran View Post
I didn't even get to read it - Was it that bad??

Speaking of PC, I heard something on the radio today (Glenn Beck show) that almost made me crash. Apparently the British will stop teaching about the Holocaust and about the Crusades, because they don't want to offend muslim factions that don't believe in these events or dispute the facts within them. Why is the British government not concerned with not offending Christians, jews and others?? Could it be fear?
You have got to be kidding! I would have thought that there was still enough respectable British academia to prevent such a nonsense. By and large, there has been too much ingrained common sense in the UK to see this sort of rubbish get a toe-hold... and at a time when we still crticize the Japanese for refusing to officially recognise many of the war crimes committed in SE Asia during WWII.

They say the victors of war get to write the history - I wonder who is winning in this game of propaganda?

flyingdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:26 PM   #42
First Officer

Scottish_DC-10 is a good contributorScottish_DC-10 is a good contributorScottish_DC-10 is a good contributorScottish_DC-10 is a good contributorScottish_DC-10 is a good contributorScottish_DC-10 is a good contributorScottish_DC-10 is a good contributorScottish_DC-10 is a good contributorScottish_DC-10 is a good contributorScottish_DC-10 is a good contributorScottish_DC-10 is a good contributor
Cool Re: What are you? PC?

Absolutely not! Take me as I am or don't bother, I take people as they are.

Hey, I'm Scottish and speak my mind and I expect others to do the same, none of this hiding behind "Fluffy" "Touchy Feely" crap. With me it's hands on, or hands off.

CB
Scottish_DC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:38 PM   #43
Admin

furryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobby

Britain rolls over for the Muslim minority. We go to their country and we have to respect their customs/religion (when in Rome...) They come to ours and we have to change our system to suit us.

There is actually a female Police Constable in the Metropolitan Police who has said she won't touch any men in the line of duty because its against her beliefs. The Commisioner is trying to have her put of the job as he believes "touch" is a very important part of the job whether it be shaking hands, restraining or giving first aid-its crazy! Britain in the land of PC!

E-you were a solicitor-i'm gutted! I used to hold you in high esteem! Now its just at eye level!
Old 04-04-2007, 07:43 PM   #44
Admin

furryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
What was you guys taught me-BBIW?? I'd been trying to find it myself til i read this post and the penny dropped
Old 04-04-2007, 08:26 PM   #45
ATP Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryforest View Post
Britain rolls over for the Muslim minority. We go to their country and we have to respect their customs/religion (when in Rome...) They come to ours and we have to change our system to suit us.

There is actually a female Police Constable in the Metropolitan Police who has said she won't touch any men in the line of duty because its against her beliefs. The Commisioner is trying to have her put of the job as he believes "touch" is a very important part of the job whether it be shaking hands, restraining or giving first aid-its crazy! Britain in the land of PC!

E-you were a solicitor-i'm gutted! I used to hold you in high esteem! Now its just at eye level!
How can you be a constable without using your hands? She should have been fired immediately. I wonder how she has sex - maybe suspended from wires or with her hands tied behind her back.

I just googled the story and I found all sorts of references to it, so it is legitimate. The stories go on to say that they don't want to offend students that have been taught something different at home. Also, there were fears of possible student anti-semitic reactions. This has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. Using these guidelines, schools wouldn't really be allowed to teach anything, would they?

Last edited by Eherran; 04-04-2007 at 08:30 PM.
Eherran is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: