What else can W900 do to improve the site? - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Ground Control > General Squawk Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-25-2005, 11:12 PM   #1
banned

Flight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributor
What else can W900 do to improve the site?

Its that time again, to ask our fellow members what can the Wings900 Team do to improve the website. To review, in the past few months we have:
  • Redesigned the website
  • Added My Collection Features
  • Expanded the Database
  • Added all new enhanced Trader Ratings
  • Added a all new Chat System
  • Enhanced the forums search (now full text searching)
  • Added Server enhancements to speed up performance
  • Syndicated Wings900 Forums and News to your desktop
  • Wings900 News on YOUR website
  • And more!
So now it is your turn to speak out, what would you like to see on Wings900? Let us know!

-FD
Flight Director is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2005, 01:13 AM   #2
RJ Captain

Pilot_Flying is getting startedPilot_Flying is getting startedPilot_Flying is getting startedPilot_Flying is getting startedPilot_Flying is getting startedPilot_Flying is getting started
Give us a wishlist for the MyCollection System! That would be soooo great!
Keep up the great work!

EDIT: And it would be cool if the statistics available for the database would also be available in MyCollection.

Last edited by Pilot_Flying; 01-26-2005 at 01:29 AM.
Pilot_Flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 01:40 AM   #3
Operations Director

MD11Freighter is a diecast iconMD11Freighter is a diecast iconMD11Freighter is a diecast iconMD11Freighter is a diecast iconMD11Freighter is a diecast iconMD11Freighter is a diecast iconMD11Freighter is a diecast iconMD11Freighter is a diecast iconMD11Freighter is a diecast iconMD11Freighter is a diecast iconMD11Freighter is a diecast icon
Hmm I cant think of anything at the moment. But you are doing an awesome job so far!!
MD11Freighter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2005, 07:59 AM   #4
banned

Flight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributorFlight Director is a good contributor
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraport
Give us a wishlist for the MyCollection System! That would be soooo great!
Keep up the great work!

EDIT: And it would be cool if the statistics available for the database would also be available in MyCollection.
How would the wishlist work?

And what do you mean by statistics available in MyCollection? My Collection already has graphs, what other stats are you looking for?

-fd
Old 01-26-2005, 10:46 AM   #5
Senior Captain

luloudoodle is flying under the radar
In the 1:1 Aviation Forum I'd like news and press releases from all over the industry stickied at the top of the forums. And after 3 days then it falls into a normal thread. This way even newbies can know whats going on in the aviation world.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:29 AM   #6
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by luloudoodle
In the 1:1 Aviation Forum I'd like news and press releases from all over the industry stickied at the top of the forums. And after 3 days then it falls into a normal thread. This way even newbies can know whats going on in the aviation world.
  • First it is against copyright laws to copy full articles from the AP, Reuters and other sources and post them on other websites with out approval and/or a reproduction license. I know other sites do this, but we are not about to engage in any such activity. Even if we could, the amount of time it would take to do that by hand would just not be worth the effort.
  • Second, we have the top 5 industry news articles on the home pages which are fed to us automatically from a news service.
  • Third, we've had a top 10 industry news article page WITH synopsis' at this location for years: http://www.wings900.com/news/modules...misc&file=news Again, this is a live newsfeed that comes in automatically.
  • Click "Industry News" on the left on the main Wings900 page to get to the above mentioned page.
  • Lastly, if you use trillian or any other RSS enabled program, you can get Aviation news, Wings900 News, Wings900 Forums and DAC forums right on your desktop.
-FD
Old 01-26-2005, 01:26 PM   #7
RJ Captain

Pilot_Flying is getting startedPilot_Flying is getting startedPilot_Flying is getting startedPilot_Flying is getting startedPilot_Flying is getting startedPilot_Flying is getting started
Ok, cut the graphs...... I didn't realize that.

About the wishlist:

A Wishlist would give you the possibility to add models from the database you want to have and maybe enter a price reference you are willing to pay for it or a price you have seen somewhere. This gives you the possibility to check which models you want to buy when you are on the road (I sometimes lose track of my collection, of what I have and what I don't have )
And finally it would be nice to have a button there to add a model from the wishlist straight into MyCollection (of course the model is then deleted from the wishlist).
Old 01-26-2005, 01:29 PM   #8
RJ Captain

I have another concern:

It would be great if the public view of my collection would be sortable by airline and scale and so on and not by standard sorted by the Database ID. If you don't want to make it sortable by the users, please sort it by airline.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:43 PM   #9

LFC-RKO is flying under the radar
This website contains too much model stuff. Tone it down a little and add a gallery of real plane or airport photos., like Airliners.Net or Planepictures.Net. The photos doesn't have to be taken from other websites. I mean, there are probably loads of planespotters here, so they can submit their own pics and contribute towards this already-fantastic site.
Plus, some section like "Plane fun" where you can play some aviation related games or have quizzes, just to pass some time on a boring Sunday or something.
Another idea, multimedia. Where you can get anything, from photos, to videos clips, to moving images.
Anyway, just a thought...
LFC-RKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 04:40 PM   #10
RJ Captain

This website contains too much model stuff

Well, this is a MODEL website......
Some additions like a quiz or so would be ok, but I think every website should keep to it's subject. We have wings900 and we have airliners.net. So why do we need real photos on wings900? Airliners.net will never be such a good model site as wings900 neither will wings900 be as good a photo website as airliners.net is. So I don't see much sense in that
Old 01-26-2005, 04:55 PM   #11
Operations Director

waffle is a legend of the hobbywaffle is a legend of the hobbywaffle is a legend of the hobbywaffle is a legend of the hobbywaffle is a legend of the hobbywaffle is a legend of the hobbywaffle is a legend of the hobbywaffle is a legend of the hobbywaffle is a legend of the hobbywaffle is a legend of the hobbywaffle is a legend of the hobby
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC-RKO
This website contains too much model stuff. Tone it down a little and add a gallery of real plane or airport photos., like Airliners.Net or Planepictures.Net. The photos doesn't have to be taken from other websites. I mean, there are probably loads of planespotters here, so they can submit their own pics and contribute towards this already-fantastic site.
Plus, some section like "Plane fun" where you can play some aviation related games or have quizzes, just to pass some time on a boring Sunday or something.
Another idea, multimedia. Where you can get anything, from photos, to videos clips, to moving images.
Anyway, just a thought...
Note: Under our name on the top it says "For the Model Aircraft Collector" . This is a website that deals with models there are plenty of other sites out there that offer great real photos where you can submit your pictures and all that fun stuff.

waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 05:58 PM   #12
Air Wisconsin

a_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top dog
Out of curiosity, what happened to the links and the arcade?
a_loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 06:10 PM   #13
banned

The links are still there, use the main menu on the home page "Aviation Links"... the arcade is offline for now.. maybe it will come back in the near future.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:12 PM   #14
First Officer

N1786B is getting startedN1786B is getting startedN1786B is getting startedN1786B is getting startedN1786B is getting startedN1786B is getting started
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_loser
Out of curiosity, what happened to the links and the arcade?
Arcade and links were too much work for us to maintain and update.

Your comment has been noted.

- Jim
N1786B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 06:16 PM   #15
RJ First Officer

IKONOS is flying under the radar
First off, I'd like to thank all involved for a class 'A' website devoted to scale model collecting! Though I only collect 1:400 scale, I enjoy browsing the other scale topics just to see what's going on.

I think Wings900 is pretty much a complete website as it stands now, although there is one 'tiny' little feature I'd like to see, though I'm not sure how complicated it would be to add. Currently in "My Collection", you're able to print your collection in either Adobe Acrobat (PDF) format or in HTML. I would like to be able to export "My Collection" to a spreadsheet format; excel (.xls), comma-delimted (.cvs) or some format that's able to be opened using a spreadsheet application.

Thanks!
Mark (IKONOS)

sale collection photos last.fm
IKONOS is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: