Wings900 vs social media. - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Ground Control > General Squawk Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-24-2021, 08:50 AM   #1
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Wings900 vs social media.

Good morning.
I promised to a great member (and friend) to write a thread like.
Social medias have become the main communication systems among people all over the world but also platforms where to share opinions, comments, photos of the most varied arguments.
Instagram, Facebook, Twitter are the most important and have almost outclassed websites like Wings900 and other similar.
But...why???
Let me explain my opinion.
Social medias are more direct and faster; when you write and post something it arrives at light speed and everyone can see your post (that means your opinion, your pics, your words) immediately.
Good thing, infos are running and everything is faster.
But you can write few characters, no more than a certain number of words and opinions and comments must be expressed compressing them and making a summary of the summary of what you want to say.
They are the expression of the society, all very fast with few time (and desire) to deserve to the others and to ourselves.
In fact, in my opinion, social medias don't give us the way to completely express ourselves, but just to say a comment.
Different situation with the websites: all the space to express even difficult and important thoughts, all the time to develop speeches and ideas, all the space to post hundreds of pics.
Social medias are popular also because allow to express all the anger and hatred without any consequence and in this sick society we all sometimes want (or need) to express our frustration and "mental disease" (linked to extreme/fast way of life); while websites like Wings900 and similar don't allow to express anger and hatred, social medias are very often based on "popular" threads full of the previous two sentiments.
Websites like Wings900 need to think before to write and post something: in the last years there aren't so many "important" members (even if everyone is important, even the newbie) ready to hit the first member writing something of offensive or stupid or clearly bad towards other members; even us moderators are without job because there are no more complaints, or political debates or offensive posts. For this reason, maybe, websites like Wings900 are no more so popular: in fact in social medias there could be more adrenaline just because people are looking for "fights" at all costs, something seeming really important for the majority of the members...something no more possible here.
Even the avatar is different: in websites like Wings900 there is space to completely share our personality and, very often, to reach a special union with some members.
Pros and cons, but i prefer Wings900 and similar websites.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2021, 10:16 AM   #2
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Interesting and meaningful like no comments and/or considerations...

Charter airlines lover

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:44 AM   #3
Puddle Jumper

tropicalista is flying under the radar
Re: Wings900 vs social media.

Forums and social media have different tasks, forums are tools for sharing and above all for discussion. Social media are direct means, to document live events, or for little targeted information.
Today social networks are no longer the same as they were when they were born, but they have changed with society and are starting to be regulated.
Social networks are full of very instinctive people, who, as you say, are immediately looking for a fight. Unfortunately it is not the fault of the social, but of the user who does not think. Mirror of the society in which we live. I think that for the forums we are now at sunset, as they do not "pull" as before.
Personally I find them cumbersome, they have fallen behind and are sometimes not very user friendly.
Of course, comparing them to today's tools eh ... in 2000 the forum was the top to look for people with similar interests or for online aggregations.
tropicalista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2021, 05:50 PM   #4
RJ First Officer

SandborgAirport is a diecast iconSandborgAirport is a diecast iconSandborgAirport is a diecast iconSandborgAirport is a diecast iconSandborgAirport is a diecast iconSandborgAirport is a diecast iconSandborgAirport is a diecast iconSandborgAirport is a diecast iconSandborgAirport is a diecast iconSandborgAirport is a diecast iconSandborgAirport is a diecast icon

I’m not sure what social media you are using where everyone is fighting? There’s a pretty big 1/500-1/400 community on Instagram and there rarely seems to be any arguments. I’d say it allows you to express yourself just as much (if not more) than this site. You are in control of your profile and how it looks and there are more ways to post things.

Sadly this site has mainly become dominated by two to three people and has become mainly a wishlist site. I think part of the problem for me at least is also that too many of the posts became “that’s great or that’s amazing” when in reality some of the airports or models posted were terrible. With Social media if I think they are bad I don’t follow and I don’t see.
SandborgAirport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 04:24 AM   #5
Puddle Jumper

Facebook? it's full of people who attack when you think of it in a non-unison way. Instagram is too direct to articulate any discussion. I don't know Tik Tok. Twitter I abandoned it long ago because it was now full of people ready to fight you.
Obviously I'm not talking about modeling groups, but in general.
As for wings900, I don't know, I wasn't dating it until recently, I was looking at it for the database. (which now I see a little still).

But I believe that with the advent of new technologies, and new virtual spaces, forums / sites like wings900 have suffered, and will suffer again.

Even for model trading, it is now full of sites where people can sell their models.
Old 01-26-2021, 01:27 PM   #6
Second Officer

getifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandborgAirport View Post
... There’s a pretty big 1/500-1/400 community on Instagram and there rarely seems to be any arguments. I’d say it allows you to express yourself just as much (if not more) than this site. You are in control of your profile and how it looks and there are more ways to post things.

Sadly this site has mainly become dominated by two to three people and has become mainly a wishlist site. I think part of the problem for me at least is also that too many of the posts became “that’s great or that’s amazing” when in reality some of the airports or models posted were terrible. With Social media if I think they are bad I don’t follow and I don’t see.
Instagram is a photo and video sharing network with additional microblogging functions. The main purpose is to »attract attention« (at best to showcase personal interests, but usually as a medium of self-portrayal and marketing) via visual content and short captions (at most 2200 characters). A critical dialogue is neither conceptually intended nor in a meaningful manner technically supported. Thus Instagram targets a specific audience and is not the appropriate platform to discuss controversial standpoints.

If my information is correct Instagram sorts posts according to their advertising revenue geared algorithms. Posts that are not advertising-relevant may not be affected but I would not call that control.

The problem of this forum is that one of the two remaining »moderators« is main contributor and in respect of his own points of view and preferences naturally biased. Hence frequently there is no moderation at all and replies are mainly affirmative as affirmations are rewarded by further affirmations. And when these »brothers in spirit« enjoy themselves through affirmation posts it may be of only marginal interest to a broader audience.

I have to emphasize that I have great respect for the work performance of this moderator and that I am grateful that he is investing so much time to keep this site alive. But his frequent lack of objectivity and neutrality (he would call it passion), his camp thinking (who is with me, who disagrees) and his occasionally acting as if he was trying to save not only Wings900 but the entire hobby are for me often strenuous. But that may be only my perception.
getifero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:16 AM   #7
The Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by getifero View Post

The problem of this forum is that one of the two remaining »moderators« is main contributor and in respect of his own points of view and preferences naturally biased. Hence frequently there is no moderation at all and replies are mainly affirmative as affirmations are rewarded by further affirmations. And when these »brothers in spirit« enjoy themselves through affirmation posts it may be of only marginal interest to a broader audience.
I have to emphasize that I have great respect for the work performance of this moderator and that I am grateful that he is investing so much time to keep this site alive. But his frequent lack of objectivity and neutrality (he would call it passion), his camp thinking (who is with me, who disagrees) and his occasionally acting as if he was trying to save not only Wings900 but the entire hobby are for me often strenuous. But that may be only my perception.
Thanks for posting this.
Interesting and sobering point of view (no sarcasm).
Sad to read that, according to your opinion, i am the only problem of this forum: translating this would mean that if i would stop to post in this forum everything would be perfect. In my opinion this thought is a bit reductive and always centralized just in one person/member. This is a very old story and, even if OT, maybe there are other opinions regarding this.
Without forgetting that the thread is regarding Wings900 (forums) vs Social media.

Charter airlines lover

Last edited by Charter; 01-27-2021 at 07:41 AM.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:50 AM   #8
The Dark Side

In my opinion two things are heavily penalizing Wings900:
- lack of a database
- prohibition to post "political" threads, even if "political" could be the wrong word but encloses all the general threads regarding society and important public events.
These two arguments were able to catch many collectors/members, the first because a database is fundamental for a collector and for a website like wings900 and the second because "political" arguments were able to catch interest having a vital debate.
Instagram, Facebook, Twitter live thanks "political" debates.
Wings900 regards a specific hobby but has enlarged the forums through years, touching different arguments.
I remember when great and prolific members like mmu69 (just to make an example) abandoned Wings900 because of the missing working database, or others abandoned just when all the general speeches ("political") were prohibited.
Very sad.

Charter airlines lover

Last edited by Charter; 01-27-2021 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:57 PM   #9
Student pilot

Malefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dog

In my opinion, this is nothing relative to this forum or its members, this is because of the laziness of the people (including me). Everything now has to be super fast and easy.

If I want to share a picture here for example, I first need to take the picture, then go into a specific website where I can host it, then take the link and insert into a message.

While at Instagram, everything can be done very easily and quickly, directly with the social media. You can also share what you like in one section instead of going to multiple websites, each one specific to one subject.

To complete my examples, I was following few forums few years ago, one for videogames, one for Japanese football, and this one. The first two have disappeared, replaced by Discord, the third one is less and less active. I think this is simply because forum are not anymore adapted to what people want.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:40 AM   #10
RJ Second Officer

Smooky is appreciatedSmooky is appreciatedSmooky is appreciatedSmooky is appreciatedSmooky is appreciatedSmooky is appreciatedSmooky is appreciated

I think forums should be adapted to the new social media wave such being faster and more flexible in terms of ease of use but social medias will never replace forums in terms of data richness and so.
I'll always prefer forums in all conditions anyway.
Smooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 06:48 AM   #11
Puddle Jumper

Honestly today forums are anachronistic, they are something that dates back to web 2.0, today as another user rightly said, to upload a photo is an odyssey, take it and put it on a host, which shows it via url. Or to get the profile picture ... take an image, scale it, see if it's okay ... etc etc ...
in short, current users are lazy. The web has shaped itself on this and makes the user increasingly lazy.
Forums should be made closer to social networks, break away from these web 2.0 adventures and innovate.
This site and forum has a lot of added features that social networks don't have, always too direct.
Obviously (personal opinion) even a modernization of the site graphics would not hurt .... and update the database section. In my opinion this portal still has a lot to say!
Old 01-28-2021, 07:05 AM   #12
The Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooky View Post
I think forums should be adapted to the new social media wave such being faster and more flexible in terms of ease of use but social medias will never replace forums in terms of data richness and so.
I'll always prefer forums in all conditions anyway.
Ditto.
But with WORKING DATABASE!!!

Charter airlines lover

Old 01-29-2021, 12:08 PM   #13
Puddle Jumper

why the database it's not working now?
Old 01-29-2021, 04:35 PM   #14
The Dark Side

The database Is not working since many years.
It had some failures, then was obsolete, then some changes in Wings900 ownership, the last ownership di not want to update It...i Imagine economical reasons.
Result: many important members abandoned Wings900!

Charter airlines lover

Old 01-30-2021, 12:13 PM   #15
Puddle Jumper

i know that it's OT, but, it's not possible to have an update database? i don't think that it's so much expensive....
ora it's possibile do a document with the all models for have a new database?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: