Realize perfect pics of your models and fleets: cameras, techniques, effects. - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Ground Control > General Squawk Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-29-2020, 02:25 PM   #1
The Dark Side
 
Charter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Age: 47
Posts: 35,661
Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Realize perfect pics of your models and fleets: cameras, techniques, effects.

Ciao to all.
Honestly speaking i was thinking to a thread like this but, honestly speaking the same, today i posted this thread because of N3424V (Mike) push and great passion for the pics.
In fact, i must say, Mike's "mish-mash" photos are probably the best about spectacularity; but "models photos" are also different angles, something useful to understand if a model can be bought or not. It depends on many factors: camera, position, light, tachniques, etc.
This thread is a possibility to share your "secrets" and your passion for perfect (almost perfect, good, nice, well-done) photos of your models and fleets.
__________________
My collection:
http://www.wings900.com/modeldatabas...ion-16877.html
My new battle is for Neos B737-800WL or B737 MAX8

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-29-2020, 02:42 PM   #2
Selfie with bros
 
LeoMuse747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 25
Posts: 11,307
LeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobby
Re: Realize perfect pics of your models and fleets: cameras, techniques, effects.

I don't have any "making of" pics of my airport, but I can surely share some techniques!

Photos of planes touching down: the smoke is added on Photoshop, using the brush tool, adjusting the opacity of layers and using the smudge tool aswell. To keep the plane pitching up, I place a tiny ball of modelling clay under the nose gear, and then remove it using the clone tool on Photoshop. It's not so hard once you get the skills.

example: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...b681e70e_b.jpg

Light effects: like lightbeams, landing lights, etc.
I create the lightbeams using the "Supernova" tool on the GIMP image editor.
Filters >> Shadow and Light >> Supernova. You can adjust the size, color and number of rays.

Cabin lights are created using the brush tool on Photoshop.
The illuminated tail (logo light) is created by using the Dodge tool on Photoshop.

I also reduce the brightness of the picture, adjust the contrast and add a blue cast on it, to make it look like a dusk light.

example: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...62cc8780_b.jpg

There are other effects which I use, but I fear they might be a bit hard to explain by writing. I would need a tutorial video these two effects above are very common in my airport pics. I hope you enjoy and try aswell
__________________
My diorama! Willy White Snowflake International Airport! Please check last pages!
My pictures on Flickr!
LeoMuse747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:42 PM   #3
The Dark Side
 
Charter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Age: 47
Posts: 35,661
Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Re: Realize perfect pics of your models and fleets: cameras, techniques, effects.

As always i hope for a good participation and i hope everyone would share his/her techniques and ways to make pics of models and fleets.
__________________
My collection:
http://www.wings900.com/modeldatabas...ion-16877.html
My new battle is for Neos B737-800WL or B737 MAX8

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is online now   Reply With Quote
 
Old 04-29-2020, 02:56 PM   #4
The Dark Side
 
Charter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Age: 47
Posts: 35,661
Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Re: Realize perfect pics of your models and fleets: cameras, techniques, effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoMuse747 View Post
I don't have any "making of" pics of my airport, but I can surely share some techniques!

Photos of planes touching down: the smoke is added on Photoshop, using the brush tool, adjusting the opacity of layers and using the smudge tool aswell. To keep the plane pitching up, I place a tiny ball of modelling clay under the nose gear, and then remove it using the clone tool on Photoshop. It's not so hard once you get the skills.

example: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...b681e70e_b.jpg

Light effects: like lightbeams, landing lights, etc.
I create the lightbeams using the "Supernova" tool on the GIMP image editor.
Filters >> Shadow and Light >> Supernova. You can adjust the size, color and number of rays.

Cabin lights are created using the brush tool on Photoshop.
The illuminated tail (logo light) is created by using the Dodge tool on Photoshop.

I also reduce the brightness of the picture, adjust the contrast and add a blue cast on it, to make it look like a dusk light.

example: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...62cc8780_b.jpg

There are other effects which I use, but I fear they might be a bit hard to explain by writing. I would need a tutorial video these two effects above are very common in my airport pics. I hope you enjoy and try aswell
Which camera do you use Leo?
Do you prefer natural or artificial light? And, if you use artificial light, what kind of light do you have?
__________________
My collection:
http://www.wings900.com/modeldatabas...ion-16877.html
My new battle is for Neos B737-800WL or B737 MAX8

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 03:28 PM   #5
Selfie with bros
 
LeoMuse747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 25
Posts: 11,307
LeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobby
Re: Realize perfect pics of your models and fleets: cameras, techniques, effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
Which camera do you use Leo?
Do you prefer natural or artificial light? And, if you use artificial light, what kind of light do you have?
Currently I use a Nikon D7200, but the bulk of my airport pics was taken with a Nikon D5100. The quality of the pics are fairly similar IMO

I've used Nikkor 18-105mm VR, 18-140mm VR and 70-300mm VR lens. Normally, I use smaller aperture numbers, like f22 and beyond, because of the increased depth of field.


For sunset and sunrise pics, i've used artificial light: a reading lamp

example: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4552/...fa265321_o.jpg

most of my pics are taken with artificial lights: the lights of my room.
example: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4550/...0cdf3d10_o.jpg

I took a few recently using natural sunlight aswell:
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...d2ac33ce_b.jpg

The natural sunlight was great!!! However, it's easier to me to work with artificial light, because the natural sunlight will only come from my window, in one direction only, which end up causing some unwanted shadows sometimes.
__________________
My diorama! Willy White Snowflake International Airport! Please check last pages!
My pictures on Flickr!

Last edited by LeoMuse747; 04-29-2020 at 03:31 PM.
LeoMuse747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 03:35 PM   #6
Wings of Wool
 
sheepxs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 367
sheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributor
Re: Realize perfect pics of your models and fleets: cameras, techniques, effects.

i am not really a good photographer but I will join in here. If I find the time I will post my minimalist equipement this weekend.
__________________
wool & cookies! @ >>> SheepWings <<<
sheepxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 03:40 PM   #7
The Dark Side
 
Charter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Age: 47
Posts: 35,661
Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Re: Realize perfect pics of your models and fleets: cameras, techniques, effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoMuse747 View Post
Currently I use a Nikon D7200, but the bulk of my airport pics was taken with a Nikon D5100. The quality of the pics are fairly similar IMO

I've used Nikkor 18-105mm VR, 18-140mm VR and 70-300mm VR lens. Normally, I use smaller aperture numbers, like f22 and beyond, because of the increased depth of field.


For sunset and sunrise pics, i've used artificial light: a reading lamp

example: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4552/...fa265321_o.jpg

most of my pics are taken with artificial lights: the lights of my room.
example: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4550/...0cdf3d10_o.jpg

I took a few recently using natural sunlight aswell:
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...d2ac33ce_b.jpg

The natural sunlight was great!!! However, it's easier to me to work with artificial light, because the natural sunlight will only come from my window, in one direction only, which end up causing some unwanted shadows sometimes.
Thanks a lot.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepxs View Post
i am not really a good photographer but I will join in here. If I find the time I will post my minimalist equipement this weekend.
We all learn from everyone, so thanks for your suggestions.
__________________
My collection:
http://www.wings900.com/modeldatabas...ion-16877.html
My new battle is for Neos B737-800WL or B737 MAX8

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 03:44 PM   #8
The Dark Side
 
Charter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Age: 47
Posts: 35,661
Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Re: Realize perfect pics of your models and fleets: cameras, techniques, effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoMuse747 View Post
Currently I use a Nikon D7200, but the bulk of my airport pics was taken with a Nikon D5100. The quality of the pics are fairly similar IMO

I've used Nikkor 18-105mm VR, 18-140mm VR and 70-300mm VR lens. Normally, I use smaller aperture numbers, like f22 and beyond, because of the increased depth of field.


For sunset and sunrise pics, i've used artificial light: a reading lamp

example: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4552/...fa265321_o.jpg

most of my pics are taken with artificial lights: the lights of my room.
example: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4550/...0cdf3d10_o.jpg

I took a few recently using natural sunlight aswell:
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...d2ac33ce_b.jpg

The natural sunlight was great!!! However, it's easier to me to work with artificial light, because the natural sunlight will only come from my window, in one direction only, which end up causing some unwanted shadows sometimes.
Apologize Leo, what size of pics on the camera (S, M, L)?
Do you often use Macro?
__________________
My collection:
http://www.wings900.com/modeldatabas...ion-16877.html
My new battle is for Neos B737-800WL or B737 MAX8

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!

Last edited by Charter; 04-29-2020 at 04:19 PM.
Charter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:36 PM   #9
Selfie with bros
 
LeoMuse747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 25
Posts: 11,307
LeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobby
Re: Realize perfect pics of your models and fleets: cameras, techniques, effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
Apologize Leo, what size of pics on the camera (S, M, L)?
Do you often use Macro?
I always use the maximum size and quality available.
These pics are shot in RAW format and large size. I then edit them on Photoshop and resize to 1024px, so they can properly fit in the forum layout.

I only use Manual (M) mode on the camera to take these pics, as well as a timer setting.
I also need to use a tripod (because most of these pics are actually long exposures) and timer mode for these pics. My camera take 2 pictures in a row when using timer. This is nice to avoid vibrations.
__________________
My diorama! Willy White Snowflake International Airport! Please check last pages!
My pictures on Flickr!
LeoMuse747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 05:28 PM   #10
The Dark Side
 
Charter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Age: 47
Posts: 35,661
Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Re: Realize perfect pics of your models and fleets: cameras, techniques, effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoMuse747 View Post
I always use the maximum size and quality available.
These pics are shot in RAW format and large size. I then edit them on Photoshop and resize to 1024px, so they can properly fit in the forum layout.

I only use Manual (M) mode on the camera to take these pics, as well as a timer setting.
I also need to use a tripod (because most of these pics are actually long exposures) and timer mode for these pics. My camera take 2 pictures in a row when using timer. This is nice to avoid vibrations.
May you please explain how you work your RAW pics using Photoshop? it is a good info for us all.


Why i ask this to Leo? Just because he makes wonderful pics of his marvellous airport and becasue there is a big difference among RAW and JPEG: i hope we we talk about raw and jpeg in the next posts but raw is, in fact, a raw file and can be worked as you want while jpeg is a compressed file containing much less data because already skimmed.
So, what happens when we "work" our pics using, for example, Photoshop? That working raw pics almost no details are lost, while working jpeg pics (already "worked" by the camera) many details can be lost.
Apologize for the extremely simple way to explain a difficult thing...
__________________
My collection:
http://www.wings900.com/modeldatabas...ion-16877.html
My new battle is for Neos B737-800WL or B737 MAX8

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!

Last edited by Charter; 04-29-2020 at 05:48 PM.
Charter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:51 PM   #11
Selfie with bros
 
LeoMuse747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 25
Posts: 11,307
LeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobby
Re: Realize perfect pics of your models and fleets: cameras, techniques, effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
May you please explain how you work your RAW pics using Photoshop? it is a good info for us all.


Why i ask this to Leo? Just because he makes wonderful pics of his marvellous airport and becasue there is a big difference among RAW and JPEG: i hope we we talk about raw and jpeg in the next posts but raw is, in fact, a raw file and can be worked as you want while jpeg is a compressed file containing much less data because already skimmed.
So, what happens when we "work" our pics using, for example, Photoshop? That working raw pics almost no details are lost, while working jpeg pics (already "worked" by the camera) many details can be lost.
Apologize for the extremely simple way to explain a difficult thing...
No worries, I can explain
I use a plug-in on Photoshop, called Camera Raw, which allow you to open and edit RAW files on Photoshop. By the way, my PS is the CC version, I forgot to write this before.

Yes, RAW files are uncompressed and therefore have more quality and are better to work with. The drawback is the file size in disk, which is pretty big (for example: JPEG images of my camera have 5MB of size, while RAW files have 22MB). It's always better to shoot in RAW due to the better quality and no JPEG compression.

This is just a recommendation: for diorama and model pics, you can shoot in JPEG with no problem. RAW is needed only when you really need to extract the best quality of your camera. It's up to you.

After editing the RAW file, the resulting image can be saved in other image formats, such as JPEG or PNG. I save my files in JPEG (Always with maximum quality settings).
__________________
My diorama! Willy White Snowflake International Airport! Please check last pages!
My pictures on Flickr!

Last edited by LeoMuse747; 04-29-2020 at 08:55 PM.
LeoMuse747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:59 AM   #12
The Dark Side
 
Charter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Age: 47
Posts: 35,661
Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Re: Realize perfect pics of your models and fleets: cameras, techniques, effects.

Thanks Leo.
In fact RAW photos are needed for spotting, where the quality of the pic must be the best.
For models/airports photos JPEG photos are perfect.
__________________
My collection:
http://www.wings900.com/modeldatabas...ion-16877.html
My new battle is for Neos B737-800WL or B737 MAX8

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 11:38 AM   #13
First Officer
 
N3424V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 900
N3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobby
Re: Realize perfect pics of your models and fleets: cameras, techniques, effects.

It seems this topic is taking off fast!

As a pro photographer and college-level photo teacher, I thought contribute to this topic by offering suggestions specifically on model photography based on my experiences.

Since cameras have been brought up, let's start there addressing the topic of model photography.

What are your goals for your model photography? If you are only interested in displaying simple photos of your models, a smart phone will work. On the other hand, as many folks here are, you want to attempt to show your models representing aircraft "in real life" more sophisticated photo gear is going to be the answer.

Most folks will immediately go toward a digital SLR camera and interchangeable lenses. This makes good sense if you will use the camera for other hobby interests like plane spotting. Obviously, you need zoom and telephoto lenses to shoot pictures of aircraft at airports. If you already have such gear and your lenses have close-up macro features, you are good to go.

On the other hand, if you are more interested in just model work, a smaller, less expensive camera can be a better choice. By this I mean a camera that many manufacturers call Enthusiast Cameras.

These are smaller cameras, normally with only a single, fixed zoom lens. The lens needs close-up macro settings and manual exposure settings will be very useful. Manual focus capability will be a good feature.

Now I don't mean a simple "point-and-shoot" cameras since many of them will not have the manual focus and exposure features model photography will require. But smaller cameras with the correct features will have advantages you will quickly appreciate in your model shooting.

One, being smaller they are easier to fit among your model airport layouts than the bigger interchangeable lens cameras. The smaller size will open up low angle and ground level shot possibilities that a larger camera just can't do. Plus, close-up photography can require cameras to get very close to the model and larger cameras can very quickly cast shadows on the model you want to shoot.

Something to think about.

While I'm not familiar with all the cameras out there today, the one I currently use for the "mish-mashes" is a Canon G5X, a small enthusiast-type camera.

Taking better photos of our models, is what we are about here. Use the camera you have, but if you are thinking trying new types of model photography and your current gear doesn't fit give the smaller cameras a look.

We can address lots of questions in this new thread and share lots of different methods to make our model photography better. And that could make your enjoyment of the hobby that much richer.

Although I've done this for a long time, I'm still learning, post your questions. Let's all give it a "shot."
__________________
Mike, Master Masher of the Mishes?
N3424V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 01:13 PM   #14
The Dark Side
 
Charter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Age: 47
Posts: 35,661
Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Re: Realize perfect pics of your models and fleets: cameras, techniques, effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3424V View Post
It seems this topic is taking off fast!

As a pro photographer and college-level photo teacher, I thought contribute to this topic by offering suggestions specifically on model photography based on my experiences.

Since cameras have been brought up, let's start there addressing the topic of model photography.

What are your goals for your model photography? If you are only interested in displaying simple photos of your models, a smart phone will work. On the other hand, as many folks here are, you want to attempt to show your models representing aircraft "in real life" more sophisticated photo gear is going to be the answer.

Most folks will immediately go toward a digital SLR camera and interchangeable lenses. This makes good sense if you will use the camera for other hobby interests like plane spotting. Obviously, you need zoom and telephoto lenses to shoot pictures of aircraft at airports. If you already have such gear and your lenses have close-up macro features, you are good to go.

On the other hand, if you are more interested in just model work, a smaller, less expensive camera can be a better choice. By this I mean a camera that many manufacturers call Enthusiast Cameras.

These are smaller cameras, normally with only a single, fixed zoom lens. The lens needs close-up macro settings and manual exposure settings will be very useful. Manual focus capability will be a good feature.

Now I don't mean a simple "point-and-shoot" cameras since many of them will not have the manual focus and exposure features model photography will require. But smaller cameras with the correct features will have advantages you will quickly appreciate in your model shooting.

One, being smaller they are easier to fit among your model airport layouts than the bigger interchangeable lens cameras. The smaller size will open up low angle and ground level shot possibilities that a larger camera just can't do. Plus, close-up photography can require cameras to get very close to the model and larger cameras can very quickly cast shadows on the model you want to shoot.

Something to think about.

While I'm not familiar with all the cameras out there today, the one I currently use for the "mish-mashes" is a Canon G5X, a small enthusiast-type camera.

Taking better photos of our models, is what we are about here. Use the camera you have, but if you are thinking trying new types of model photography and your current gear doesn't fit give the smaller cameras a look.

We can address lots of questions in this new thread and share lots of different methods to make our model photography better. And that could make your enjoyment of the hobby that much richer.

Although I've done this for a long time, I'm still learning, post your questions. Let's all give it a "shot."
Thanks so much Mike.
But, i imagine, the majority of us want to know how you realize your incredible "mish-mash" pics!

May you please share your techniques?
__________________
My collection:
http://www.wings900.com/modeldatabas...ion-16877.html
My new battle is for Neos B737-800WL or B737 MAX8

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 12:49 PM   #15
First Officer
 
N3424V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 900
N3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobby
Re: Realize perfect pics of your models and fleets: cameras, techniques, effects.

May you please share your techniques?

I'm doing that now Ale, just one step at a time.

If your model photography goals include shooting more "realistic" model photos, the first thing we all need to do, all the time is look and I mean REALLY look, at photos of airliners.

Really examine the way light plays across wings and fuselages. Where do the bright light reflections usually appear? When do the shadows under the aircraft get really dark and when are they not so dark?

Take notice how a wing lines up with the cabin windows when a photo was shot at a high angle and a low angle to the aircraft. Is the wing higher than the windows, or lower?

Check the backgrounds! Many folks taking photos become so concentrated on the aircraft, they never take a quick glance at the background before pushing the shutter. In finished photos notice how in most airplane shots the background is in focus as well as the airplane in the foreground. When you shoot your models on your airport layout is the background sharp like it would be if you were photographing the real thing? Most likely not.

When I first started to learn photography in college, my professor told the class that we would all have to "LEARN TO SEE ALL OVER AGAIN, BECAUSE HOW WE VIEWED THE WORLD WAS WRONG." I thought that was the dumbest thing I had ever heard, at least until the first semester was over. By then it was becoming obvious that I was indeed beginning to SEE much differently.

So, look at aircraft photographs and study the light and shadows as well as the aircraft itself. Then next time you photograph a model try to match the photos lighting and shadows on the model. Try it outside just using the sun as the light source and see how close you can match the original highlights and shadows to those on the model. Doing this experiment will take you a long way to "recalibrating" your mark one eyeballs.
__________________
Mike, Master Masher of the Mishes?
N3424V is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:55 PM.

Latest Threads
- by Charter
- by Charter
- by Charter
- by Charter
 

Models of the Week
 


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 

SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2