Realize perfect pics of your models and fleets: cameras, techniques, effects. - Page 2 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Ground Control > General Squawk Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-01-2020, 03:56 PM   #16
First Officer

N3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobby
Re: Realize perfect pics of your models and fleets: cameras, techniques, effects.

Here's an attempt to illustrate the ideas above with this DC-10 'mash from about a year ago.

National Airlines DC-10 at LHR 1974 combo by Mike Dillard, on Flickr

Notice that the shadow of the "real" aircraft shows that the sun was shinning from slightly behind the plane. So, the reflective highlights on the model mirror this. Since the port stabilizer is polished metal and the sun is shinning directly on it, there's a bright reflection shining up on the center engine. However, the engine cowling is still casting a shadow underneath the engine. Since the aircraft is polished metal on the underside, it reflects the tail's shadow from the ramp below.

The photographer of the original shot was probably kneeling on the ramp to take the shot, since much of the lower wing can be seen. Here's where lining up the wing with the cabin windows when the model is photographed will keep everything in line.

Seeing the details like this will aid your shot of the model. Of course, one of the big things to realize is that viewers of your model shot will not notice any of theses details. To them, the photo will just "look right." If the details are wrong, the photo will not look realistic., and it will not "feel (look) right."

Taking the time to "see" better will make your photo attempts a lot for fun.
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2020, 02:34 PM   #17
Wings of Wool

sheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributor
Re: Realize perfect pics of your models and fleets: cameras, techniques, effects.

The bar is already very high, this might frighten some hobby photographers to even participate in this topic

Trying to lower the bar a bit now

Usually i take my pictures with my smartphone (16MP camera) but i also have a Canon EOS 77D from work, that I could use for this.

I usually place the models on a runway showcase with LEDs (for interested people: https://item.rakuten.co.jp/jema/new-...8f51c465d4f5a7), it comes with extra showcase lighting and an acrylic cover.
Optional i can use one of the groundplates from Herpa together with some GSE to take the picture.

(see pictures below)

As a background i try to find an airport picture fitting the airline of the model that is going to be shown.

Light: almost always artificial.

That's more or less it Did not really have much time for taking pictures the last year, so there were not many updates in the Sheepwings-topic. Hope to update it more frequently again in the future.

2 by Sheep, auf Flickr

1 by Sheep, auf Flickr
Old 05-03-2020, 06:08 AM   #18
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3424V View Post
Here's an attempt to illustrate the ideas above with this DC-10 'mash from about a year ago.

National Airlines DC-10 at LHR 1974 combo by Mike Dillard, on Flickr

Notice that the shadow of the "real" aircraft shows that the sun was shinning from slightly behind the plane. So, the reflective highlights on the model mirror this. Since the port stabilizer is polished metal and the sun is shinning directly on it, there's a bright reflection shining up on the center engine. However, the engine cowling is still casting a shadow underneath the engine. Since the aircraft is polished metal on the underside, it reflects the tail's shadow from the ramp below.

The photographer of the original shot was probably kneeling on the ramp to take the shot, since much of the lower wing can be seen. Here's where lining up the wing with the cabin windows when the model is photographed will keep everything in line.

Seeing the details like this will aid your shot of the model. Of course, one of the big things to realize is that viewers of your model shot will not notice any of theses details. To them, the photo will just "look right." If the details are wrong, the photo will not look realistic., and it will not "feel (look) right."

Taking the time to "see" better will make your photo attempts a lot for fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepxs View Post
The bar is already very high, this might frighten some hobby photographers to even participate in this topic

Trying to lower the bar a bit now

Usually i take my pictures with my smartphone (16MP camera) but i also have a Canon EOS 77D from work, that I could use for this.

I usually place the models on a runway showcase with LEDs (for interested people: https://item.rakuten.co.jp/jema/new-...8f51c465d4f5a7), it comes with extra showcase lighting and an acrylic cover.
Optional i can use one of the groundplates from Herpa together with some GSE to take the picture.

(see pictures below)

As a background i try to find an airport picture fitting the airline of the model that is going to be shown.

Light: almost always artificial.

That's more or less it Did not really have much time for taking pictures the last year, so there were not many updates in the Sheepwings-topic. Hope to update it more frequently again in the future.

2 by Sheep, auf Flickr

1 by Sheep, auf Flickr
Thanks to both for your contribution and for the examples and pics.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2020, 10:33 AM   #19
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Here two photos of an Eva Air B777-300ER.
For my photos i use a Nikon Coolpix B700: it is a "Bridge" camera (in the middle among reflect and compact) with an 80X ultrazoom (i realized great pics of the Moon, even of the mountains!) but even with a great macro function. The light is powerful and it is important when the sunlight is not present or when i am making pics inside home.
My settings are:
pics size L (Large)
pics quality F (Fine)
pics format JPEG.
With sunlight, balcony or terrace or garden, the AUTO mode is perfect; the camera makes everything by itself. For models close-ups you can use MACRO mode while for airports general overview the PANORAMIC mode is perfect.
For my models photos i put them in a panel (usually a small airport wood panel) at the same level of the eyes, with a background (usually a panel with airport pics or sky photos): to understand well how a model is made it is important not to take it from above but with the eye/camera at the same level of the model/panel. Only in this way you can compeletely check all the paint, details, wheels, engines, cockpit windows and so on. Taking photos standing up, from above, there is a general view of the model but it is just important to see the wings (details like "escape lines") and the upper part of the fuselage.
With sunlight, of course, the shoulders must stay towards tthe sun; but the light can be blocked by the body so it is impossible to make a pic in front of the model because of the body shadow. So the panel, the background and the model have to be placed according to the perfect sunlight angle; the problem is that when sunlight is not perfectly horizontal and making a perfect 90 angle with the model lenght, some parts of the model could receive a worst light and could be reproduced not in the perfect way. A perfect sunlight angle can be obtained just when the sun is at its peak, around 12 am/ 1 pm: even with the body in front of the model, the light arrives almost perpendicular and there are no shadows ruining the model.
Of course all modern cameras have some indicators about how the subject of the photo is focused: rectangles or squares, red if the subject is not well focused and green if everything is ok. The best situation is when almost all the model is covered by green squares/rectangles, even tha tail fin.

Here the result, with a not perfect sunlight:

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!

Last edited by Charter; 05-03-2020 at 04:39 PM.
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:57 PM   #20
First Officer

N3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobby

Nice seeing more sharing.

Remember, the techniques I'm posting are to help anyone who wants to make his model photography look more "realistic."

Now here is a trick that can solve the largest problem all miniature photography must cope with.

When you look at a real aircraft your eye, in most cases, will see the entire aircraft in focus. When you photograph close-ups of your 1:400, 1:500 scale models using macro or close focus settings, you just can't seem to get the model in focus wingtip to wingtip like an actual airliner looks when you see one.

There is lots of optical science that will explain all this stuff, but who needs it? Collectors just have to know the problem is there. You just can't get the whole model in focus! You can try to focus at different spots on the model, but something will always go out of focus no matter what you do.

This problem cannot be solved with the camera alone, but with photo editing software the problem can be solved in the computer.

I just posted the mish-mash that used following images and I hope you can see the results.

Here is the first model shot. The focus was on the "Air Canada" on the fuselage.

A340 a by Mike Dillard, on Flickr

Everything looks pretty good except that engine 1 and the winglet in the foreground just are not if focus. While the tail looks OK, it could be a bit better.

Now here's a second shot focused directly on the tail "leaf" logo.

A340 b by Mike Dillard, on Flickr

Not a lot of change here, bu the tail is a bit sharper.

A third shot is taken focused on the foreground winglet.

A340 d by Mike Dillard, on Flickr

The winglet and engine look OK but now the fuselage is fuzzy.

How to fix it? How can these three shots be combined to render a completely in focus picture?

Editing software is required and some skill. It isn't hard to do, and many may not want to bother, in many cases though it can be solved with a single click of the mouse. Or there is a more labor intensive process that I used to have to do.

To make it work you will need imaging software that will allow you to work in layers. A simple crop and brightness exposure software can't get it done.

Today I use Affinity Photo instead of Adobe Photoshop. Affinity isn't very expensive (about the price of a single airliner model) and works on Macs, PCs and Mac or Windows-based tablets. It has a tool called "Focus Merge." You photograph your model like I did above, select the three photos with the different focus areas, and click Okay. The software takes over and here's the final result.

Air Canada ZRH taxi DOF merge by Mike Dillard, on Flickr

Everything is now in focus and ready to be "mashed" into the background airport image.

I believe Adobe has a similar tool now called something like "Focus Stacking." And there are other software plug-ins that do the same function, although I don't know all of their names.

The last method and the one I used to use requires layer editing software which Affinity, Photoshop Elements have as do possibly others that I just haven't read about.

In this method you take each of the individual shots and place them on separate layers then you erase the out of focus sections in each layer then combine them to a single layer. Sounds complicated, but it really isn't, it just takes some time.

The same techniques can be used on airport layout model shots, by shooting the model in focus then shooting the background airport buildings and GSE in as many separate shots as needed to get everything you want to show in focus then go with it.

It isn't as complicated as you might think and will go a long way for those who want a more "realistic look."

If you have questions, let me know.
Old 05-05-2020, 02:29 PM   #21
Wings of Wool

sheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributor

What i described earlier looks more or less like the picture below.

Smartphone camera with artificial light, no photoshop.

kenyacargo by Sheep
Old 05-28-2020, 12:26 PM   #22
First Officer

Here is a quick look at a mish-mash piece I recently posted.

I hope it will bring a question or two about software use and combining photos. Not so much to do any combos of real photos and models perhaps, but create an idea to use with models and model airport layouts.

A321 night combo by Mike Dillard, on Flickr

The original photo on top of a Lufthansa A321 NEO at Heathrow was downloaded from Wikimedia Commons.

Then the model shot and the final combo mish-mash.

The original was a straight forward side view image and normally an easy angle to reproduce. While looking at the original image, the model shot was aligned by matching the main gear wheels one behind the other and the wing's sharklet height above the the top of the fuselage.

It was easy to fit the model shot over the aircraft in the original. While the blending and matching up the loading hatch, light reflections, cabin windows and stuff took software skills gained from much practice, the basic operation of fitting the model to the background image wasn't hard. Any photo editing software that has layer tools can be used make that operation simple.

This technique, even in simple projects can really aid your scale model photography.

Imagine shooting a similar angle of your model layout from ground level. A shot without any model present.

You would then have a background airport image, in focus, that you could place any new model onto making a combo image that could be more realistic than posing the aircraft against a plain background, wall or a flat photo print that doesn't quite match-up.

Yes, it is more work, but the results would be a more interesting model shot.

If you have any questions, please let me know.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:03 AM   #23
Earning My Wings

BrianCollins is flying under the radar

Here
BrianCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 11:06 AM   #24
Earning My Wings

Here's my buddy UA Star Alliance B772. I use my smartphone and a LED lamp for my phone to catch the best angle
Old 09-25-2020, 11:09 AM   #25
Earning My Wings

And another one, airBaltic B733WL.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: