Life at Covid-19 time. - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Ground Control > General Squawk Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-17-2020, 12:48 PM   #1
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Life at Covid-19 time.

Hi.
I posted a thread regarding airlines but we are a community (we should be a community) and we are living a pandemic, something almost all of us have just read on books.
HIV was a pandemic, then H1N1 among 2009 and 2010 but nothing was similar to what we are living today.
He in Italy everything is closed: every shop and activity except for food shops, pharmacies and hospitals. We can't go out except for serious health problems, job and food. If someone goes out for the three reasons must have a special permit declaring what you are going to do. Police and Army can block you bringing you to jail of criminally report.
Food is present in the various supermarkets, but opening time is changing: the government is delimiting these times in the attempt to limit the pandemic.
We can go out with our pets but only for few minutes. McDonald's closed (and this is a news!), schools and universities closed, all sports suspended (including the soccer tournament, something never closed even during war...and this is another news!), Giro d'Italia (Tour of Italy, cycling) postponed.
While making food shopping only one person can enter the supermarket and with mask and gloves: of course we are in Italy so you can see many people without mask and gloves...and then you understand the fact why in Italy we had Mussolini!!!
Airports like Milan Malpensa and Rome Leonardo Da Vinci, the two most important in Italy, are suffering because almost empty: even more airlines suspended flights to/from Italy.
Costa Crociere put several ships in storage.
Here in Rome there is no traffic: just few cars and few pedestrians, and all Italy is in the same situation.
Hospitals are collapsing, especially the "intensive care" wards: Covid-19 infected many doctors and paramedics. Many old people are dying, even if now are starting to die also young people.
Silence everywhere and the situation is surreal.
What about the situation in your countries?

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!

Last edited by Charter; 03-17-2020 at 12:50 PM.
Charter is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2020, 01:07 PM   #2
Selfie with bros

LeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobby
Re: Life at Covid-19 time.

Here in Brazil, the situation is still actually fine, not chaotic. However, most of the people is staying at home. Schools are closed, many companies are sending the employees home (home office work), local governments are starting to ban international flights.

It's all over the news: people must wash their hands constantly, use alcohol as a hand sanitizer and leave home for only important things (buy food, go to the hospital, etc).

Many people fear this is just the beginning here, and soon the situation will get worse. I hope not...
Old 03-17-2020, 02:40 PM   #3
Wings of Wool

sheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributor

Same here in Germany...no chaos so far, schools are closed, lots of home-office-work but the case numbers are rising fast...

...most people are probably currently building toiletpaper-pasta-castles

time to dust off and polish a few models

*edit*

let's add some aviation related stuff:

passenger-numbers in Frankfurt have dropped by almost 50%, some smaller airports have been shut down completely

Lufthansa cancelled 70% of its flightplan, so did Condor

Last edited by sheepxs; 03-17-2020 at 02:49 PM.
sheepxs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2020, 04:43 PM   #4
757 Bloke

Kestrel is a legend of the hobbyKestrel is a legend of the hobbyKestrel is a legend of the hobbyKestrel is a legend of the hobbyKestrel is a legend of the hobbyKestrel is a legend of the hobbyKestrel is a legend of the hobbyKestrel is a legend of the hobbyKestrel is a legend of the hobbyKestrel is a legend of the hobbyKestrel is a legend of the hobby

England isnt too bad at the moment, measures are being put in place for when the inevitable surge in cases come. People have lost their minds and are panick buying toilet rolls, eggs, tinned goods and fighting over them in Supermarket isles.

On the aviation side of things the situation is particularly precarious. I've survived 3 airline bankruptcys but the feeling this time is I honestly cant see my self having a job this time next week... Airline after airline is stopping flights, Jet2 and TUI are particularly affected having cancelled all flights except the repatriation flights. My main airline is still operating into my airport and loads are decent enough so hopefully we can last as long as possible.

Last edited by Kestrel; 03-17-2020 at 06:05 PM.
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 05:46 PM   #5
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Netherlands is pretty much the same as Germany. Our borders remain open (for now), air travel is down, schools and universities closed, and people behave like idiots by hoarding food from the grocery store.

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:21 AM   #6
RJ Second Officer

Smooky is appreciatedSmooky is appreciatedSmooky is appreciatedSmooky is appreciatedSmooky is appreciatedSmooky is appreciatedSmooky is appreciated

Hi all,

Here, there's a psychosis that has taken hold of the population such you can't enter a supermarket to buy anything, and if you are able, you'll find nothing as they took everything.
Schools are closed for the moment, hand sanitising gels are getting more expensive,
pharmacies are stormed so i hope it will not be worse than it is now.
So we try to save as much money as we can to get ready for any issue we'll confront.
Sad
Smooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:34 AM   #7
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooky View Post
Hi all,

Here, there's a psychosis that has taken hold of the population such you can't enter a supermarket to buy anything, and if you are able, you'll find nothing as they took everything.
Schools are closed for the moment, hand sanitising gels are getting more expensive,
pharmacies are stormed so i hope it will not be worse than it is now.
So we try to save as much money as we can to get ready for any issue we'll confront.
Sad
You live in Ivory Coast? There are many Covid-19 cases?

Charter airlines lover

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
Old 03-18-2020, 11:46 AM   #8
RJ Second Officer

Smooky is appreciatedSmooky is appreciatedSmooky is appreciatedSmooky is appreciatedSmooky is appreciatedSmooky is appreciatedSmooky is appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
You live in Ivory Coast? There are many Covid-19 cases?

Hi Charter,

Yes, i'm living here a longtime ago and there are not too much confirmed cases, 8 for the moment but as that dicease spreads quickly and (we are in Africa) the local sanitary institute didn't take (and still doesn't) good measures to avoid that since it started, we are discovering more subjects.
There are also a lot of work to do here for that problem.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:05 PM   #9
The Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooky View Post
Hi Charter,

Yes, i'm living here a longtime ago and there are not too much confirmed cases, 8 for the moment but as that dicease spreads quickly and (we are in Africa) the local sanitary institute didn't take (and still doesn't) good measures to avoid that since it started, we are discovering more subjects.
There are also a lot of work to do here for that problem.
Ok thanks for the info. I imagine if Covid-19 will spread in Africa it will be an Armageddon!

Charter airlines lover

Old 03-18-2020, 04:13 PM   #10
RJ Second Officer

[/QUOTE]
Ok thanks for the info. I imagine if Covid-19 will spread in Africa it will be an Armageddon![/QUOTE]

Haha it’s looks like these days!
I’ve just forgot the good word.
Greetings from Côte d’Ivoire 🇨🇮
Old 03-18-2020, 04:40 PM   #11
Senior Captain

Speedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobby

Touristical Overnights now forbidden and cancelled in Germany (also for Germans). So no Escape to any appartment by the Sea, we were just called and our 4 day trip with the Little one is cancelled.
All Shops are closed, only the ones which are essential for daily life.

I think this is something no one (or most of us) have not experienced before and I am still surprised how many People act in Panic, absolute unsolidaric or really absolute antisocial or naive. Believe it or not, some Young idiots came together (around 100 People) to celebrate a Corona Party (until Police stopped them). Maybe until they find out, that there is no App or Tweet against this Virus and all this Sh* is for real and it really happens. Sometimes think People just have their heads on their shoulders to ensure there is no rain dropping into their bodies...
Speedbird 001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 04:44 PM   #12
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

The stupidity of humanity is also what surprised me most during this outbreak.

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 04:51 PM   #13
Senior Captain

Speedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
The stupidity of humanity is also what surprised me most during this outbreak.
Yup...you always think it can never get lower on the Brain Limbo game, but then there comes someone who can easily walk upright below the bar....
Speedbird 001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:33 PM   #14
RJ First Officer

Harry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dog

Hi, here is the situation in Vietnam.

- We got first case at around the end of January which is Lunar New Years time. We had 2 weeks off for the New Year but due to the Virus, school was closed for around 4 weeks (depended on where you are in Vietnam, big city like Ho Chi Minh had an infected case so students could stay at home longer than those in other provinces - except Vinh Phuc province which had the highest numver of cases by that time.

- Everything seemed to be fine and in around a week we could declare safe from the pandemic when things got a big turn.

- Paitient no.17 started the new increase in cases. Schools are forced to close and we have online tests and homework (Vietnamese state school students are not used to this and the connection aren't the best either). So we have more weeks of. Currently, it is my 7th week off (not including Lunar New Year Holiday) from school and I think that the country did a great job preventing the spreading of the virus.

- There is an order to close ALL cinema, theater, bars, clubs,... Supermarkets and malls remain open and not many people there.

- Situation is much better in Ho Chi Minh: adults still go to work normally, the streets are less crowded than usual since students stay at home, the Gym where I go to, however, a bit more crowded (I always choose the time when nobody there to go).
- In Hanoi, where reported more cases had more restrictions.

- Vietnamese people always wear masks in order to protect themselves safe, and if infected with virus before tested positive, can save the whole community.
Harry Pettersion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:58 PM   #15
RJ Second Officer

United 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributor

In Boston it's a ghost town, but there are still far too many people out and about. It's still increasing and the measures that the government is taking aren't all that effective. I was studying at MIT, but they sent all students home on Sunday; and now I'm home. My family and I have around 4 months of food stocked and don't plan on leaving the house until Coronavirus cases stop rising. I may finally finish my AA A321 and Spirit A320 customs that I had going, and if the situation gets very dire will finally get around to building an airport to fit my room. With MIT, they changed our grading system to only show Pass-emergency, no grades, and we will resume class in two weeks. It's obviously a very unique situation, has happened only once before. I had planned on being done with my Instrument Rating for airplanes by April, but now I have to wait to leave the house. This also affects my earning potential as I won't have a GPA or any grades to show recruiters. I'm hoping that the spread stops soon but am prepared for it to go significantly downhill.
United 752 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: