Why not airlines even for pets? - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Ground Control > General Squawk Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-27-2019, 05:01 PM   #1
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Why not airlines even for pets?

On my recent trip to Rhodes (Greece) i desperately searched for airlines carrying pets but in Europe seems they don't exist. In a world where everyone seems to have become an Earth defender, with a "green" soul and "don't leave pets alone during holidays" phrase printed in the mouth, all these beautiful and important thoughs seem to be only sterile words. I don't say to carry in an A320 or B737-800WL a 40 kg dog, but small pets like cats, small dogs, or other small pets; all the most important European airlines allow pets in cabin inside a 40 x 23 x 23 cm carrier: a 40 cm long dog is just a toy, while a small cat is allowed. I tried to pay for carrying Mia with me into the cabin, buying a second seat, but nothing to do. Pets bigger than 40 x 23 x 23 cm must go on the hold and, honestly speaking, a dog (more than a cat, but also a cat or a bird or a ferret etc.) is like a son or a daughter! Would you put your son or your daughter into the hold of an airplane? I don't think! I did not receive answers to my questions from Alitalia, British Airways, Blue Panorama, neos.
Yes, you could say that a pet can make his/her bodily needs or bark and meow, but also a newborn makes his/her bodily needs and can cry (as happened during my 3rd trip to Japan, about 9 hours of baby cry, i was becoming crazy!).
Today there are many types of animal diapers, so the problem could be solved.
You could say "Charter, are you comparing pets with babies?", yes, i am comparing them and their needs. Someone else could say that "pets/animals smell", but i know many humans smelling like rubbish in the sun and that seem to never having known the water!
I am not referring to 12 hours flights, but to short haul destinations, where most animals could stay in the arms of the human friend or accomodated on the near seat.
To conclude, i am really angry that airlines still don't allow pets in the cabin.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2019, 01:43 AM   #2
Sympathy for the devil 😈

Wingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobby
Hi Alessandro

Don’t get me wrong. I love animals and would love to have a cat or a dog if I could.

However to me pets don’t belong in an aircraft cabin. In the US they have that stupid rule of “emotional support animal” bit I’m glad that we don’t have something similar in Europe. There are several reasons why pets aren’t allowed in cabins.

One of them is safety. I remember reading a story in a newspaper a couple of years ago about a pet cat who attacked passengers and the crew in flight. Animals don’t feel comfortable in aircrafts so they become agitated and if a passenger opens unintentionally the animal cage it can cause such problems.

Also animal cages are considered as “bags”. This mean that they belong either in the overhead bins or under the seat in front of you during taxi, take off and landing. Most cages are too large to fit under the seats so they will have to be put in the overhead bins, which can be dangerous since there is not enough oxygen up there. A couple of months ago a dog died of hypoxia in the overhead compartment of a United flight.

Of course hygiene is also a problem since animals can carry diseases and insects and of course they need to fulfil their natural needs. An aircraft is an enclosed space so this represents a higher risk.

As you mentioned animals can be loud, especially if they feel stressed like it is much probably the case on board an aircraft. Babies are indeed sometimes very loud (and really annoying) but remember that in many European countries pets are considered as “objects”. Luckily this mentality is changing.

Many airlines offers to let your pet travel in a special heated compartment and it seems to work fine.

My collection: http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/...usselsairlines
Wingslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 01:45 AM   #3
Sympathy for the devil 😈

Wingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobby
Btw Alessandro, Brussels Airlines allows small pets in the cabin:
https://www.brusselsairlines.com/com...s/default.aspx

My collection: http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/...usselsairlines
Wingslover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2019, 09:28 AM   #4
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Re: Why not airlines even for pets?

In understand and partially agree with your statement; maybe things will change in the future, with bigger airplanes and special seats for pets and humans, or airlines dedicated to pets like Pet Airways in USA
Pet Airways

Charter airlines lover

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime...R.I.P.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:59 PM   #5
RJ First Officer

B-HUF is flying under the radar

I'm going to relocate from Hong Kong to London this Aug, while my wife already brought our two kids (exotic shorthair cats) to London last Dec.

We explored various airlines which flew direct to London - British Airways was the only one who would be willing to transport our cats but they must be in the cargo hold as required by UK Border. Cathay Pacific and Virgin Atlantic didn't transport snub nose dogs/cats at all.

We didn't want our kids to stay in the cargo hold out of sight for 12 hours as we're worried they would be in danger (not long before we planned for that someone lost her dog on a Cathay Pacific flight to US as it was too scared and tried to rip the cage killing itself...that's definitely not what we wanted to see ). We then searched and found that many other European airlines actually allowed pets in cabin given they're put in a small cage or bag. We therefore bought the tickets with Air France from HKG to CDG, then booked a cab to drive them all the way to London. The only restriction was that they were only allowed in economy class and couldn't leave their cages/bags throughout the flight, while there's also an extra charge of US$125 for each pet. But that's already much better than dumping the kids for 12 hours!
Old 07-29-2019, 10:43 AM   #6
RJ Second Officer

ragefury32 is appreciatedragefury32 is appreciatedragefury32 is appreciatedragefury32 is appreciatedragefury32 is appreciatedragefury32 is appreciatedragefury32 is appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-HUF View Post
I'm going to relocate from Hong Kong to London this Aug, while my wife already brought our two kids (exotic shorthair cats) to London last Dec.

We explored various airlines which flew direct to London - British Airways was the only one who would be willing to transport our cats but they must be in the cargo hold as required by UK Border. Cathay Pacific and Virgin Atlantic didn't transport snub nose dogs/cats at all.

We didn't want our kids to stay in the cargo hold out of sight for 12 hours as we're worried they would be in danger (not long before we planned for that someone lost her dog on a Cathay Pacific flight to US as it was too scared and tried to rip the cage killing itself...that's definitely not what we wanted to see ). We then searched and found that many other European airlines actually allowed pets in cabin given they're put in a small cage or bag. We therefore bought the tickets with Air France from HKG to CDG, then booked a cab to drive them all the way to London. The only restriction was that they were only allowed in economy class and couldn't leave their cages/bags throughout the flight, while there's also an extra charge of US$125 for each pet. But that's already much better than dumping the kids for 12 hours!
No dogs/cats allowed on Eurostar?
ragefury32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:46 AM   #7
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

We never had problems taking our small dog in the cabin on Transavia, KLM or Vueling..

But a pet airline? Not enough demand.

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:34 PM   #8
The Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
We never had problems taking our small dog in the cabin on Transavia, KLM or Vueling..

But a pet airline? Not enough demand.
How small Thom?

Charter airlines lover

Old 07-30-2019, 01:01 PM   #9
RJ First Officer

B-HUF is flying under the radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragefury32 View Post
No dogs/cats allowed on Eurostar?
Dogs/cats need to be in the cargo carriage for Eurostar, not allowed in the passenger cabin as well.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:03 PM   #10
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
How small Thom?
Small dogs and cats are allowed in the cabin up to 8 or 10 kgs including the bag they're carried in.

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 04:56 PM   #11
RJ Second Officer

hkgdave is appreciatedhkgdave is appreciatedhkgdave is appreciatedhkgdave is appreciatedhkgdave is appreciatedhkgdave is appreciatedhkgdave is appreciatedhkgdave is appreciated

I sent three cats from Oman to Arizona in 2010. They traveled unaccompanied by British Airways via London on a two plane itinerary (777/747) in the animal bay of the rear hold. A convenient connection in London. They arrived as happy as could be. I truly believe they are better off traveling 'below decks' in the animal bay away from all the noise and smells in the cabin. In the hold it is quiet, heated, pressurised and lit. Sometimes I wish I could ride down there!
Old 08-02-2019, 03:52 AM   #12
Master ATP Captain

vince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingslover View Post
insects
That could be a follow up to 'Snakes on a Plane' they could call it 'Fleas on a Plane.....

1939 - 2011
vince1159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:16 AM   #13
Earning My Wings

HarryDavidson701L3 is flying under the radar

I agree with you, I would never put my cat in the hold of an airplane, because I know it's terrible there. Pets experience a lot of stress during the flight, and when they are alone in the hold, I can imagine how they feel. Fluffy is like a child to me, she has lived with me for more than 10 years. Unfortunately, due to the fact that they don't allow me to take her to the salon, I have to travel without her. But I try not to leave for more than a week, because my cat misses me very much. By the way, I've been reading blogs about pets lately. I think this blog is very good https://petsoid.com/what-is-a-group-of-cats-called/. Do you read books/blogs about pets? I recently thought that when we have a child, we read some books so that we know how to take care of them properly. I think that our pets also deserve attention.
HarryDavidson701L3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:05 AM   #14
The Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryDavidson701L3 View Post
I agree with you, I would never put my cat in the hold of an airplane, because I know it's terrible there. Pets experience a lot of stress during the flight, and when they are alone in the hold, I can imagine how they feel. Fluffy is like a child to me, she has lived with me for more than 10 years. Unfortunately, due to the fact that they don't allow me to take her to the salon, I have to travel without her. But I try not to leave for more than a week, because my cat misses me very much. By the way, I've been reading blogs about pets lately. I think this blog is very good https://petsoid.com/what-is-a-group-of-cats-called/. Do you read books/blogs about pets? I recently thought that when we have a child, we read some books so that we know how to take care of them properly. I think that our pets also deserve attention.
Welcome to Wings900 family Harry and thanks for reviving this thread.
I was thinking about it just few days ago: i was eating Chinese food and i decided to organize a trip to North Korea. Don't ask me why but North Korea always fascinated me. The trip is very long, Rome - Beijing, Beijing - Pyongyang and i was asking about how to take with me my daughter, Mia. Mia is a beautiful 3 years old dog (my Persian cat Isidoro died at 18 two years ago), she is about 50 cm long: well, there aren't airlines allowing pets into the cabin even paying the ticket unless they are tiny in size, like "toys". In fact the pet carriers have ridiculous dimensions, 46 x 28 x 28 centimeters, up to maximum 60 cm for some airlines. And they add the indication that dogs or cats or even ferrets and rabbits must be comfortable, having water, food and litter...all in 46 cm long carrier!
I know that some airlines put larger size pets into the pre-hold (i really don't know what is a pre-hold in an airplane) where cabin crew can take care of them.
I can't accept to leave my dog or cat or any pet in the hold, where he/she will surely suffer fear, cold, hot, thirsty, hungry, abandonment and they can die!
Delta banned pets in its airplanes after 74 pets dead in about 10 years, with many money to refund!

After 74 deaths in a decade, Delta bans pets from being ...

The conclusion of my speech returns to you, Harry: a pet is like a son, will you abandone your son? Will you put your son on the hold? NO, so the same for my pet.

Charter airlines lover

Last edited by Charter; 09-22-2020 at 09:29 AM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: