Should the UK stay in the EU? - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Ground Control > General Squawk Talk

View Poll Results: Stay in or leave the EU?
Stay in the EU 32 48.48%
Leave the EU 24 36.36%
Either decision is fine with me 10 15.15%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-30-2016, 01:54 PM   #1
banned

NY Yankees is a legend of the hobbyNY Yankees is a legend of the hobbyNY Yankees is a legend of the hobbyNY Yankees is a legend of the hobbyNY Yankees is a legend of the hobbyNY Yankees is a legend of the hobbyNY Yankees is a legend of the hobbyNY Yankees is a legend of the hobbyNY Yankees is a legend of the hobbyNY Yankees is a legend of the hobbyNY Yankees is a legend of the hobby
Should the UK stay in the EU?

I'd love to know what do you guys think.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2016, 01:56 PM   #2
Big Brother is watching

Anglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobby
Re: Should the UK stay in the EU?

No. Time to free ourselves from all the bureaucracy and red tape.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:06 PM   #3
Senior Captain

Speedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobby

I see no reason they should leave.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:40 PM   #4
RJ Captain

Ranger is an excellent contributorRanger is an excellent contributorRanger is an excellent contributorRanger is an excellent contributorRanger is an excellent contributorRanger is an excellent contributorRanger is an excellent contributorRanger is an excellent contributorRanger is an excellent contributorRanger is an excellent contributorRanger is an excellent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird 48 View Post
I see no reason they should leave.
See Anglojet's post above for starters.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:30 PM   #5
Master ATP Captain

vince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobby

Tell Brussels to shove their laws where the sun don't shine....How much is the uk expected to pay them next year?....

1939 - 2011
Old 04-30-2016, 03:50 PM   #6
Captain

bskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobby

Again, at the risk of being crucified...as a Brit I'm firmly for staying in.

As sad as it may be, Britain is no longer a world power. Alone, we are nothing. We don't produce enough for anyone to take us seriously as a major trade partner, nor do we have the political or military clout to bend world events to our advantage in the way the US, Russia or China can. The only way we can have any influence is by being part of a bigger 'gang' - the EU. It's either that, or become America's running dog for the next 100 years (no offence to American members of the forum intended).

The whole immigration issue seems to be at the heart of people's dislike of being in the EU; sure, there are undesirable elements within the UK formed of migrants, but the vast majority are hard workers and put far more into the economy than they take out. I do take issue with the attitude that British people 'won't work' in certain jobs ie agriculture. I know from experience that you just can'tt get those jobs because Eastern Europeans will work for less. I've applied for several summer jobs like that in the past and never been successful! Leave the EU and we will still have a population crisis and all the associated housing and healthcare strain.

I've seen the good the EU has done in my local area and the huge infrastructure and redevelopment programs that they have funded to reinvent an area that has been ignored by British politicians for the last 30 years or more; Margaret Thatcher ripped the heart out of my region, successive governments have done little or nothing to alleviate the problems the mine closures caused and the Eu took up the reins. I don't buy this theory that the EU steals all our money and bundles us in red tape because I've never seen any real evidence for it.

Is the EU perfect? No. Not by a long stretch. But going it alone is not an option for the UK any more unfortunately. 'Splendid Isolation' was damaging enough to the UK economy when we were the world's only superpower; it enabled Germany and the US to overhaul us in industrial output. Think what it would do now, when we have nothing to export and trade with and no military might to enforce our will!
Old 05-01-2016, 11:54 AM   #7
Master ATP Captain

vince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bskc8th View Post
Again, at the risk of being crucified...as a Brit I'm firmly for staying in.

As sad as it may be, Britain is no longer a world power. Alone, we are nothing. We don't produce enough for anyone to take us seriously as a major trade partner, nor do we have the political or military clout to bend world events to our advantage in the way the US, Russia or China can. The only way we can have any influence is by being part of a bigger 'gang' - the EU. It's either that, or become America's running dog for the next 100 years (no offence to American members of the forum intended).

The whole immigration issue seems to be at the heart of people's dislike of being in the EU; sure, there are undesirable elements within the UK formed of migrants, but the vast majority are hard workers and put far more into the economy than they take out. I do take issue with the attitude that British people 'won't work' in certain jobs ie agriculture. I know from experience that you just can'tt get those jobs because Eastern Europeans will work for less. I've applied for several summer jobs like that in the past and never been successful! Leave the EU and we will still have a population crisis and all the associated housing and healthcare strain.

I've seen the good the EU has done in my local area and the huge infrastructure and redevelopment programs that they have funded to reinvent an area that has been ignored by British politicians for the last 30 years or more; Margaret Thatcher ripped the heart out of my region, successive governments have done little or nothing to alleviate the problems the mine closures caused and the Eu took up the reins. I don't buy this theory that the EU steals all our money and bundles us in red tape because I've never seen any real evidence for it.

Is the EU perfect? No. Not by a long stretch. But going it alone is not an option for the UK any more unfortunately. 'Splendid Isolation' was damaging enough to the UK economy when we were the world's only superpower; it enabled Germany and the US to overhaul us in industrial output. Think what it would do now, when we have nothing to export and trade with and no military might to enforce our will!
I don't agree,the uk and this island has the same problem,your government tells us what we can and can't do the same as Brussels do to you...All the uk needs to do is breakaway from all the childish crap from brussels (remember bananas had to be a certain shape,potatoes had to be a certain size?)...

Pointless red tape just costs countries money they cannot afford and tbh,i consider myself more French than English/British....

1939 - 2011

Last edited by vince1159; 05-01-2016 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:10 PM   #8
Captain

bskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince1159 View Post
I don't agree,the uk and this island has the same problem,your government tells us what we can and can't do the same as Brussels do to you...All the uk needs to do is breakaway from all the childish crap from brussels (remember bananas had to be a certain shape,potatoes had to be a certain size?)...

Pointless red tape just costs countries money they cannot afford and tbh,i consider myself more French than English/British....

I remember well Vince the furore over the cucumber regulation length and banana bendiness laws! Thankfully they're a thing of the past and the EU no longer imposes such draconian and wasteful rulings.

Pointless red tape is something I'd associate more with the UK than Europe unfortunately; a prime example being the DDA. That has caused an immense amount of wastage and is thoroughly immoral in my book, and all because of the British rather than EU parliaments.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:28 PM   #9
Master ATP Captain

Quote:
I remember well Vince the furore over the cucumber regulation length and banana bendiness laws! Thankfully they're a thing of the past and the EU no longer imposes such draconian and wasteful rulings.

Pointless red tape is something I'd associate more with the UK than Europe unfortunately; a prime example being the DDA. That has caused an immense amount of wastage and is thoroughly immoral in my book, and all because of the British rather than EU parliaments.
Maybe it's because the laws come from europe and what used to be a green and pleasant land, those laws/rights are slowly being taken away by number counters in brussels...As far as i'm concerned europe's a joke,run by jokers...

1939 - 2011

Last edited by vince1159; 05-01-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:08 PM   #10
banned

NY Yankees is a legend of the hobbyNY Yankees is a legend of the hobbyNY Yankees is a legend of the hobbyNY Yankees is a legend of the hobbyNY Yankees is a legend of the hobbyNY Yankees is a legend of the hobbyNY Yankees is a legend of the hobbyNY Yankees is a legend of the hobbyNY Yankees is a legend of the hobbyNY Yankees is a legend of the hobbyNY Yankees is a legend of the hobby

I heard they killed the LR Defender because it didn't meet the stricter EU crash and emission standards.
I'd feel more safe in a Defender than one of them lil plastic cars like Smart.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:29 PM   #11
Master ATP Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Yankees View Post
I heard they killed the LR Defender because it didn't meet the stricter EU crash and emission standards.

I love D's but given a choice i'd go for a 351 Windsor Bronco...

1939 - 2011
Old 05-01-2016, 01:35 PM   #12
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince1159 View Post
Maybe it's because the laws come from europe and what used to be a green and pleasant land and those laws/rights are slowly being taken away by number counters in brussels...As far as i'm concerned europe's a joke,run by jokers...
Nevertheless Vince, I remain unconvinced that the perceived stripping of UK laws is carried out by those in Brussels; I've never seen any evidence for it. Perhaps if the UK took the EU Parliament elections a bit more seriously we would have better representation. In the past we've sent BNP and UKIP MEP's who were never going to engage with an EU body and thus get fair deals for Britain. I keep hearing that the 'in' campaign are scaremongering, but to me it seems the 'out' lobby is the one predicting meltdown and destruction if the UK remains part of the EU. The fact is if we leave, there will be uncertainty. There will be a financial impact. There will be political and geophysical implications. I take Obama's point; why on Earth would the US associate itself with an isolated western European island with little or no military power, no ability to influence decisions on the European continent and no industry to speak of with which to trade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Yankees View Post

Unfortunately true - however if the UK is still a global powerhouse able to stand on its own two feet, surely we could have built a new engine to match the EU laws and continued producing them? It still meets EU crash legislation rules and the only reason it is being retired is the emission ruling. If Britain lacks any engineers able to redesign the engine to meet the new rules, then we shouldn't be considering going alone at all!

On the other hand, Land Rover was sold off to the Indians long ago so the decision is no longer Britain's to make. Who failed to block that move and preserve British ownership of the business? The British government. We've seen exactly the same problem recently with the steel industry. Who sold it off in the first place and is now doing virtually nothing to protect it? The British government.

You can't blame the EU for bad commercial decisions by the UK governmnent.

Last edited by bskc8th; 05-01-2016 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:48 PM   #13
Captain

I would just add (and this will only make sense to UK members of the forum) that Michael Gove is campaigning to leave which is probably the most compelling reason to stay in...!
Old 05-01-2016, 02:39 PM   #14
banned

Quote:
Nevertheless Vince, I remain unconvinced that the perceived stripping of UK laws is carried out by those in Brussels; I've never seen any evidence for it. Perhaps if the UK took the EU Parliament elections a bit more seriously we would have better representation. In the past we've sent BNP and UKIP MEP's who were never going to engage with an EU body and thus get fair deals for Britain. I keep hearing that the 'in' campaign are scaremongering, but to me it seems the 'out' lobby is the one predicting meltdown and destruction if the UK remains part of the EU. The fact is if we leave, there will be uncertainty. There will be a financial impact. There will be political and geophysical implications. I take Obama's point; why on Earth would the US associate itself with an isolated western European island with little or no military power, no ability to influence decisions on the European continent and no industry to speak of with which to trade?

Unfortunately true - however if the UK is still a global powerhouse able to stand on its own two feet, surely we could have built a new engine to match the EU laws and continued producing them? It still meets EU crash legislation rules and the only reason it is being retired is the emission ruling. If Britain lacks any engineers able to redesign the engine to meet the new rules, then we shouldn't be considering going alone at all!

On the other hand, Land Rover was sold off to the Indians long ago so the decision is no longer Britain's to make. Who failed to block that move and preserve British ownership of the business? The British government. We've seen exactly the same problem recently with the steel industry. Who sold it off in the first place and is now doing virtually nothing to protect it? The British government.

You can't blame the EU for bad commercial decisions by the UK governmnent.

Good point, maybe some of the laws in the UK made a lot of manufacturers go bankrupt, the Germans own Rolls Royce, Bentley, Mini and like you said Land Rover, Jag owned by Indians.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:46 PM   #15
banned

A lot of economists in the US think the EU really benefits Germany.

Quote:
THE euro has been very, very good for Germany. Other members of the zone have not fared as well.

Since the introduction of the euro at the beginning of 1999, the European Central Bank calculates that Germany has gained competitiveness, not only against other major industrial nations but against all other members of the euro zone.

Over the same period, Germany’s balance of payments has gone from a small deficit to a strong surplus, but in the euro zone as a whole the balance of payments position has deteriorated slightly. Trade balances are the largest part of the balance of payments, but other transfers — not including international investments and profits from those investments — are also included.
From the New York Times.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: