Beauties from Europe 1:500 (PT-TAA) - Page 14 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Custom Models

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:00 AM   #196
Tourist Guide

CO777 is an excellent contributorCO777 is an excellent contributorCO777 is an excellent contributorCO777 is an excellent contributorCO777 is an excellent contributorCO777 is an excellent contributorCO777 is an excellent contributorCO777 is an excellent contributorCO777 is an excellent contributorCO777 is an excellent contributorCO777 is an excellent contributor
Re: Titan Airways 757-200 1/500 - with tutorial

Great tutorial and very easy to read. Can't wait to see the finished model!
CO777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2009, 11:28 AM   #197
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Re: Tunisair A320 1/500

Don't worry Sergio, you are GREAT.
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:39 PM   #198
Doctor Custom

PT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryforest View Post
Fantastic tutorial-it should answer a lot of question for members interested in making their own customs
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbygabby View Post
wow! wonderful tutorial! very helpful for starters like me. i look forward for the next part. good job!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO777/200 View Post
Great tutorial and very easy to read. Can't wait to see the finished model!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight fan View Post
Looks interesting. I'l definentely follow this build!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oprandi tomas View Post
very interesting indeed..thanks for sharing Sergio..Finnair 757-200 non 757-300buon lavoro ciao
Thanks!! The custom is finished but I fell ill...
Tomorrow I'll try to finish the thread.

Always keep improving! 'The excellency of today will be future's mediocrity.'
PT-TAA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2009, 08:13 PM   #199
RJ Captain

SalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT-TAA View Post
Masking. I use Tamiya masking tape, it's an excellent product. To cut it to the desired size I attach a piece to a glass surface and cut it with a sharp blade. Then I use Maskol from Humbrol, another excellent product. It's a liquid masking that dries in 5 minutes circa and when dry can be easely removed, just peel it!

Now the masking is dry, time to go to the paint shop!! To better handle small parts like tail and engines I glued the former to a plastic rod and inserted toothpicks on the engines. Just a note: you can notice that I left intact some windows and part of a door. The reason of this is that in case we have to make complexes curves when masking, it's always useful to have some reference points, otherwise the masking could be too far to the front or to the rear. When the masking is complete you can choice to remove the remaining windows or to cover them with paint. It's imperative to have many pics of different angles of the real aircraft!!!

I made a post not too long ago asking about how to unravel complex curves on the fuselage on a masking surface/ tape. I never got an answer from anyone. So I am glad you are posting this tutorial; we are learning a lot! Do I take it that you just mask surfaces "by eye" with no complicated programs to draft your masking paraphernalia? (I am still clueless how decal manufacturers trace curves on to their products that set out as straight cheatlines on the actual model.)

Last edited by SalmonellaMD; 11-24-2009 at 09:08 PM.
SalmonellaMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:43 PM   #200
RJ Captain

SalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributor

Quote:

The donor disassembled. This is very important if you have to paint a great portion or all the model. It's easier to remove the tampom printings and mask on a disassembled model than an assembled one for obvious reasons. Too bad StarJets is no more...

I am curious if you have been successful in doing this on Herpa models? I heard those are difficult to disassemble.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:57 AM   #201
757 Fan

757lover is getting started757lover is getting started757lover is getting started757lover is getting started757lover is getting started757lover is getting started

This was one of the ones I wanted to do.....plus the 737....
BTH Aviation Photography
http://planesspotting.webs.com/
Youtube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrPlanesmad?feature=mhum
757lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:22 AM   #202
Doctor Custom

PT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonellaMD View Post
Do I take it that you just mask surfaces "by eye" with no complicated programs to draft your masking paraphernalia? (I am still clueless how decal manufacturers trace curves on to their products that set out as straight cheatlines on the actual model.)
Yes, by eye! Unless you have a grafic program to design your masks as decals, as Bert did, if I remember correctly he mentioned it on that thread or on another...

Old 11-25-2009, 06:27 AM   #203
Doctor Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonellaMD View Post
I am curious if you have been successful in doing this on Herpa models? I heard those are difficult to disassemble.
I can count my successes with Herpa with only one hand... in some cases I've chosen (or accidentally it happened) to broken the wing at its root to easier masking, as the case of an Jet2 757-200. In other cases I had to mask the model as a whole, which is very tedious and sometimes difficult.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:59 AM   #204
Doctor Custom

Now it's time to remove the masking of the engines. In the early posts I've promised to tell you the disadvantages of the acrylic paint. One of them is that in most cases, after the masking is removed, the edge is not always strait and some residues have to be removed carefully with a sharp blade. Then I remove the excess of paint from the intake lips with alcohol on a cottonstick. To restore the silver paint to the lips I use a very small brush free hand, because I prefer not to mask it, it's too much time, quite difficult for such small area and the results are poor. If there are some flaws, thery're corrected with turpentine on a toothpick with cotton. The same applies for the tail fin.

Now it's the turn to paint the part of the tail cone behind the stabs

Then some retouching is necessary. I make it in many ways: using alcohol with a toothpick and cotton and using enamel paint with a very small brush. If there were flaws during the retouching with the enamel paint then we can use turpentine. A great ammount of care, patience and a steady hand is required at this stage.

Last edited by PT-TAA; 11-25-2009 at 07:02 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:32 AM   #205
Doctor Custom

After all the first retouching (often there's more than one!) I decided to add some detail, in this case to add the front landing gear doors. One of the most noticeable shortcomings of the StarJets' 757 mould is the lack of those doors (the same applies to their A319s, A320s, A321s and early 747s like the SQ Tropical). To make them is very simple: just cut small pieces of thin plasticard and glue them in place. In the meantime I've glued the main landing gears and the engines to the wings. Just an edit note: I usually paint the engines intakes and exhausts with very dark grey, I forgot to take pics of it. It's really simple: mix grey with black, best if enamel color and apply with a small brush.

Finally it's time to apply the decals!
After have glued the wings to the fuselage I put the model on the support, now we need both hands free! Most decals manufaturers produce the subjects on a single decal layer so it's necessary to cut every subject singularly. Them soak the subject on to water. Depending on the type of the decal paper, when wet the papar will tend to roll. Don't worry just wait some seconds and then carefully distends the decal paper on the work surface. After some more seconds the decal is ready to be applied: it slides from the paper. With twizers place the decal near its final place and carefully slide it to the model using fingers, brush or a toothpick. Them place the decal on its final position, put more water if necessary to move it. Remove carefully the bubbles and excess water from under the decal with a soft brush. Hold some minutes and apply the set solution (Micro set and/or Micro sol if the area is irregular). This softens the decal, after the application do not touch the decal!! Repeat the operation to all the decals.

Aha! some more flaws!! I told earlier there's necessary more than one retouching. In this case I have to cover the shadow after removing the reg from the silver corroguard and to restore the silver on the wing leading edge. I advised early in the thread to remove tampom from the silver painted areas with Mr. Color thinner instead with nail polish remover, the later is aggressive and would have destroyed the silver paint. But also the Mr. Color thinner can damage the silver paint but it requires much more rubbing. In this case too a small brush and enamel silver paint is the things required.

Last edited by PT-TAA; 11-26-2009 at 02:46 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:08 AM   #206
Doctor Custom

Now the lady is properly dressed!

Et voilą! The front landing gear doors give a better look to the model!

The next step is to apply the clear paint to protect the decals. Often I apply the clear coat only over the decals with a brush, using Micro Liquid decal film. This only works if the decals are applied over the original donor paint or over painted areas with enamel colors. You cannot use this product on surfaces painted with acrylic colors, because this product has alcohol base and sure damages the paint (another disadvantage of the acrylic, altough I prefer use it). Over acrylic colors we can use enamel clear paint (by brush or airbrush) or acrylic clear paint (with airbrush only). In case you choice to use the airbrush I advise to mix 50% clear paint and 50% thinner.

Keep on mind that these are not absolute rules but only advices based on my own experience. There's many other custom maker that uses different techniques. And you can also develop your own. I strongly recommend this link: CB-Customs - Tutorial it's the best available online and the most detailled! I hope this can help!

Good luck!
Sergio

Last edited by PT-TAA; 11-25-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:19 PM   #207
RJ Captain

Quote:
Now it's time to remove the masking of the engines. In the early posts I've promised to tell you the disadvantages of the acrylic paint. One of them is that in most cases, after the masking is removed, the edge is not always strait and some residues have to be removed carefully with a sharp blade. Then I remove the excess of paint from the intake lips with alcohol on a cottonstick. To restore the silver paint to the lips I use a very small brush free hand, because I prefer not to mask it, it's too much time, quite difficult for such small area and the results are poor. If there are some flaws, thery're corrected with turpentine on a toothpick with cotton. The same applies for the tail fin.
Now it's the turn to paint the part of the tail cone behind the stabs
Then some retouching is necessary. I make it in many ways: using alcohol with a toothpick and cotton and using enamel paint with a very small brush. If there were flaws during the retouching with the enamel paint then we can use turpentine. A great ammount of care, patience and a steady hand is required at this stage.
This is my greatest difficulty. Sometimes I have the perfect masking tape cut out, but after painting and removing the masking tape, the edges are not perfect! Either residues are left making for an uneven edge or part of the painted area gets lifted off.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:05 AM   #208
Doctor Custom

Three B737-300s in 1/500

Hello to everybody! Let me share the last three finished 737-300s in 1/500, Air Polonia, JAT and Seagle Air. Donors are Herpa GO 737-300 in 1/500. Cheers!

Old 12-01-2009, 10:09 AM   #209
Doctor Custom

Air Europe 767-300 1/500

And finally my last custom of 2009: Air Europe 767-300, donor is Herpa British Airways 767-300 "Japan" in 1/500. Hope you like it!

Old 12-01-2009, 10:43 AM   #210
Red Eagles!

Flight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobby
Re: Air Europe 767-300 1/500

CEO of Moscow Dedovsk International Airport
Flight fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: