Swiss/Crossair Avro RJs (1/500) - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Custom Models

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-28-2020, 08:02 AM   #1
Captain

Eurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dog
Swiss/Crossair Avro RJs (1/500)

Hey guys!

This thread will show you some custom-modelled Swiss Avros in various liveries.

In 1989, the small Swiss regional airline Crossair ordered 4 Avro RJ85 as launch customer, as part of intensifying wetlease agreements with Swissair and despite 1989 being the first year Crossair suffered financial losses. In April 1990, Crossair took over three BAe 146-200 from PSA/USAir, with a -300 joining in 1991.
The 4 BAe 146s wers replaced in 1993 by the ordered RJ85, which were delivered in a new livery to mark Crossair’s new status as Swissair subsidy.
The new jets were marketed as ‘Jumbolino’ and were highly appreciated by the passengers as they were a lot more comfortable than Metroliners and Saabs, and as even economy passengers could benefit from leather seats.
In March 1992, Crossair became the first operator to launch jet operations at London City airport, the routes from Geneva and Zurich to LCY being the most important and lucrative routes of Crossair’s network.
Thanks to reduced noise emissions compared to other aircraft of the nineties, Crossair was also allowed to operated outside of Lugano airport with its Jumbolinos.
In 1995, Swissair and Crossair announced that Crossair would take over all the remaining regional routes from Swissair with 100 seats or less. This marked the end of Swissair’s Fokker 100 operations, and Crossair ordered 12 Avro RJ100, each replacing one Swissair Fokker 100. As Crossair was satisfied with their Avros, 4 additional RJ100 were ordered in 1997, bringing the fleet to 20 Avro RJ85/100.
However, on 24/11/2001, an RJ100 operating LX-flight 3597 from Berlin to Zurich crashed during approach near Bassersdorf. The investigation report concluded that the captain had failed to perform correct navigation and that Crossair had a part of responsibility given that it did not stop the captain from flying despite numerous major errors having been reported in the captain’s flight career.
2001 was indeed a page-turning year due to Swissair’s collapse following their ‘Hunter’-strategy and 09/11. As of October 2001, Crossair set up an ‘emergency’ flight plan to compensate the loss of the Swissair network and in March 2002, Crossair was rebranded to Swiss and designated the new Swiss flag carrier.
The whole Avro fleet was transferred to the ‘new’ carrier, and painted in the new livery designed by Tyler Brulé.
In 2007 all 4 RJ85 left the fleet. In 2009, Swiss placed an order for 30 Bombardier CS100 as replacement for the remaining Avro RJ100 and late 2015 Swiss was the first airline to introduce the CSeries. Over the years, 20 orders were converted to CS300, and the last Avro left the fleet in August 2017, after 27 years of Crossair/Swissair BAe/Avro operations.

For further reading :
NZZ (German, but nice photos)
Smiliner
Eurojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2020, 08:09 AM   #2
Captain

Eurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dog
Re: Swiss/Crossair Avro RJs (1/500)

I'll start "backwards" with the Swiss Avro RJ85 HB-IXH. The aircraft was delivered new to Crossair in 1993. Transferred to Swiss in 2002. Sold to Atlantic Airways in 2007, now active with Aerovias Peru since 2013.

The model is 3D-printed from Shapeways, paint and decals are made by myself. The nose section is very tricky, not 100% accurate by Shapeways, which gave me some headache with the cockpit windows. After a lot of reprints, I'm finally quite satisfied with the result.
More RJ85s to come soon

Attached Thumbnails
Swiss/Crossair Avro RJs (1/500)-blr-014a.jpg   Swiss/Crossair Avro RJs (1/500)-blr-014b.jpg   Swiss/Crossair Avro RJs (1/500)-blr-014c.jpg  
Old 05-28-2020, 08:21 AM   #3
Red Eagles!

Flight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobby

Lovely aircraft, those RJ's, and nice job on the model!
CEO of Moscow Dedovsk International Airport
Flight fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2020, 08:40 AM   #4
Second Officer

getifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobby

Thank you very much for the research (background story of your RJ-85 model) and let me express my great admiration for your marvelous job (these shapeway 3-D-printed models are very difficult to work).
getifero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:34 AM   #5
Selfie with bros

LeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobby

Such a wonderful work! Very nice result
Old 05-28-2020, 12:07 PM   #6
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Considering the 3D printed Avro RJ being such a difficult donor this custom looks especially good!

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:54 AM   #7
Doctor Custom

PT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobby

You did a great job on this 3D printed Jumbolino! Will you make the RJ-100s in Star Alliance livery?

Always keep improving! 'The excellency of today will be future's mediocrity.'
PT-TAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:25 PM   #8
Captain

Thank you all!

Sergio - I’ll do some RJ85s first, before moving to the RJ100. The Star Alliance is livery is on my list but with lower priority than the regular paintings.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:40 PM   #9
Doctor Custom

PT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurojet View Post
Thank you all!

Sergio - I’ll do some RJ85s first, before moving to the RJ100. The Star Alliance is livery is on my list but with lower priority than the regular paintings.
That's great. I'm looking forward to your next ones.

Last edited by PT-TAA; 06-02-2020 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:31 AM   #10
Captain

Next one : Crossair RJ85 in delivery cs, HB-IXG. Delivered in 1993, transferred to Swiss in 2002. Sold to Transwede, then Malmo Aviation and BRA. Stored since 2019.

A decal sheet for this model is available on eBay.

Attached Thumbnails
Swiss/Crossair Avro RJs (1/500)-blr-017a.jpg   Swiss/Crossair Avro RJs (1/500)-blr-017b.jpg   Swiss/Crossair Avro RJs (1/500)-blr-017c.jpg  
Old 06-09-2020, 10:09 AM   #11
Selfie with bros

LeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobby

Beautiful! I hope to see a family pic of all your recent Avro RJ customs
Old 06-09-2020, 10:48 AM   #12
Doctor Custom

Briliant work! I like so much Crossair old livery

Old 06-09-2020, 01:31 PM   #13
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Really well done! The model looks even smoother than the Swiss Avro RJ, very impressive work!

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:01 AM   #14
Red Eagles!

Flight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobby

Another beauty. Nice job!
CEO of Moscow Dedovsk International Airport
Flight fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 04:59 PM   #15
Captain

Thank you very much everyone!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: