Malefiska's 3D models - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Custom Models

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-27-2019, 04:58 AM   #1
Student pilot

Malefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dog
Malefiska's 3D models

Hello everyone, here is a new thread about my 3D models.

All the models you will see here are 100% made by myself. I am learning 3D modelisation and all I can say is it is very hard ! For the moment, I am not able to design an aircraft so I foudn 3D models on internet.
I did some trials but for 1/500 scale, it is not easy because thin parts like the edge of the wings, stabilizer or tail are too thin to be printed by my printer (a Creality Ender 3).
But for fuselage, it is really impressive, see below the A320 body.

With the help of a friend, I finally was able to print a Yakovlev Yak42. I printed it entirely, in one block.
Quality is far from what you can buy from Herpa or even from Shapeways, there are still a lot of flaws, especially under the body but I'm really happy to be almost able to make my models from nothing !

A320 body :

Yak 42 Utair :

(few decals are missing)

As you can see, I broke the wheel while removing the structure that uses the printer to build the model. I will have to make them again.
This is because of these structure that the parts under the body are rough... See how it looks when printing is finished.

Next part will be another Yak, with part printed separately to show you the differences !
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2019, 06:15 AM   #2
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby
Re: Malefiska's 3D models

I know it's very hard to work with such small details in 3D printing, so I have big respect for your good looking attempts. I'm sure it'll only become better and better as your skills improve!
Check out my Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html

Not Looking for a Sky500 Jet Airways 777-300ER anymore! They kinda went bankrupt..

Also check out my photos on Planespotters.net!

Planespotters.net - Aviation Photos, Production Lists and more
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:15 AM   #3
Selfie with bros

LeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobby

Really nice to see you verturing into the 3D printing world, Pierre! It's a good start with that Yak-42. Hopefully your skills will only improve

Any updates about your Nantes airport?

Old 06-28-2019, 11:12 AM   #4
Captain

Eurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dog

Salut Pierre,

Don't ask me how many propellers or gears I broke while removing the support structure...
Your attempt looks very nice!
Eurojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 02:33 PM   #5
RJ Second Officer

ragefury32 is appreciatedragefury32 is appreciatedragefury32 is appreciatedragefury32 is appreciatedragefury32 is appreciatedragefury32 is appreciatedragefury32 is appreciated

Have you considered using an epoxy like XTC-3D to smooth out the print, and then sand it using an ultra-fine Tamiya sponge (600-1500 grit range)? It doesn't give you etched lines but it will increase quality significantly.
ragefury32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:31 PM   #6
SpeedBirdOneThreeNine

solicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobby

WOW Pierre, looks so artistic and beautiful...these 3D models are so difficult for mere mortals like us but you've made it look so easy, my friend!!! Can't wait for you to do more 3D models!!!
solicitor82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:59 PM   #7
Student pilot

Malefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dog

Thanks a lot for the comments ! I am honestly a newbie for printing but I love it !

Even if the Yak 42 is far from being my favourite aircraft, I'm in love with these little 3D Yakovlev.

@Leo : Nantes Airport is on hold for few weeks as I am waiting a new print of the ground. News probably in August But if I find the way to print an A320 myself, they will be displayed with the airport (A320 is the most common model at Nantes, with the A319)

@ragefury32 : Not tried but I had a look few weeks ago. I will perhaps try, but for the moment, I'm trying different ways of priting to see if it improve quality, before buying it.

I printed the second Yak parts by parts and the quality is better. Model is at the paint shop but see below the body, it is better !

Last edited by Malefiska; 06-30-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Malefiska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 05:13 PM   #8
Selfie with bros

LeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefiska View Post
@Leo : Nantes Airport is on hold for few weeks as I am waiting a new print of the ground. News probably in August But if I find the way to print an A320 myself, they will be displayed with the airport (A320 is the most common model at Nantes, with the A319)
Great, i'll be waiting! Lovely work on the Yak-42
Old 07-01-2019, 10:59 AM   #9
RJ Second Officer

captainflynn is a good contributorcaptainflynn is a good contributorcaptainflynn is a good contributorcaptainflynn is a good contributorcaptainflynn is a good contributorcaptainflynn is a good contributorcaptainflynn is a good contributorcaptainflynn is a good contributorcaptainflynn is a good contributor

Wow. Nice work!
captainflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:21 AM   #10
Doctor Custom

PT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobby

Keep up your good work! I'll be waiting for the results of the new Yak!

Always keep improving! 'The excellency of today will be future's mediocrity.'
PT-TAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:43 PM   #11
Student pilot

Next Yak-42 to come is RA-42424, which is owned by Lukoil-Avia.
This one is printed part separated : body, tail stabilizer, left wing, right wing, engines. It looks better, especially for the parts under the body.
I still have no landing gear as they are too thin to be printed. I have to draw them myself but I think it will be fine, as I achived to replace a 757 landing gear by one I did myself.

Here is the model and honestly speaking, I think it looks very cool !

I also tried to print another Yak, this time all parts connected, and printed vertically.
Despite a good looking of the body and landing gears almost good to use, the edge of the wing and the stabilizer don't look good at all.

Next model will be another Yak-42, which will be displayed in my Nantes Airport replica, as the real one flew once at the airport. I let you look around the internet to spot which one it is, or simply wait for few days

I plan few more Yak and then, if I find the way to thicken some parts (especially the edges of the wings or stab, which are very often too thin to be printed by my printer), I will try to print a new type of aircraft. For the moment, after several trials, I still have no solution but I will find !

Just to show you the problem, see the two pictures below for an Airbus A320. First is the 3D model, second shows the yellow parts which will be printed.

Old 07-04-2019, 10:08 PM   #12
Selfie with bros

The Lukoil Avia Yask-42 look very nice indeed! Just need the gears to
The other Yak is a poor thing...
Old 07-29-2019, 08:03 PM   #13
RJ Second Officer

ragefury32 is appreciatedragefury32 is appreciatedragefury32 is appreciatedragefury32 is appreciatedragefury32 is appreciatedragefury32 is appreciatedragefury32 is appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefiska View Post

I plan few more Yak and then, if I find the way to thicken some parts (especially the edges of the wings or stab, which are very often too thin to be printed by my printer), I will try to print a new type of aircraft. For the moment, after several trials, I still have no solution but I will find !

Just to show you the problem, see the two pictures below for an Airbus A320. First is the 3D model, second shows the yellow parts which will be printed.

Given today's consumer 3D printing processes (ABS filaments with a 0.5mm nozzle diameter), you can only do the models up to a certain precision until the limitations of the process catches up with you. This is where resin and milliput comes in to fill the gaps. Then you'll need your X-Acto to scribe the panel lines in.
ragefury32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:38 PM   #14
Student pilot

Here is the third Yak 42 made by myself !
This time, the model I did is an aircraft which flew at least once to Nantes Airport. The model will then fit my diorama.
This Yak 42 is Donbassaero :

I'm looking for more info about other Yak which came to Nantes as I know it is not the only one. As far as I could find, it is anyway the only one I have as a picture.

This one was really cool as it is the first one I painted (if fuselage is white, I keep the printed plastic color). One this one, I was able to add wheel but the eight and balance is not correct s I have to trim the model... And I know know how !

Then, I did an other model which for sure never landed in Nantes.
This time, it is a Yak-42 owned by China General Aviation :

This model was done quickly and I think it is noticeable as decals are not straight. Anyway, I'll keep it like it is, and I will perhaps do another one with another registration. Anyway, the weight and balance is better !
I also plan to make a CAAC Yak 42 which will be quite similar. Both will be displayed in a diorama I want to create (not existing yet but very soon. Spoil : you will see F-Toys models !).

Next Yak to be printed will have wheel printed into the fuselage and wings, I think it will help for the weight and balance.

Then, I will perhaps do another Yakovlev (Cubana ?) and try make something else. In my plans, I would like to make an A320 and an Antonov 124 nose open and closed.

@ragefury : For the moment I print in 0.1mm and 0.15 mm (China General Aviation fuselage). I'm think of looking for a thinner nozzle but as I'm novice in 3D printing, I don't want to change a lot of thing on my printer. In fact, the solution I'm looking more for the moment is to make parts thicker. I don't think it will affect the quality render of the scaled model.

Last edited by Malefiska; 08-01-2019 at 12:05 AM.
Malefiska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:57 AM   #15
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Considering the complexity of 3D printed models and their customs, yours are sincerely impressive Pierre. I can see great progress in your modelling and customs.
Check out my Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html

Not Looking for a Sky500 Jet Airways 777-300ER anymore! They kinda went bankrupt..

Also check out my photos on Planespotters.net!

Planespotters.net - Aviation Photos, Production Lists and more
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: