Bigbird Marine Jumbo - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > 1:500 Scale Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-20-2010, 03:48 AM   #1
RJ Second Officer

pwceg is a good contributorpwceg is a good contributorpwceg is a good contributorpwceg is a good contributorpwceg is a good contributorpwceg is a good contributorpwceg is a good contributorpwceg is a good contributor
Angry Bigbird Marine Jumbo

Hi everyone I think I read that the Marine B747-400d done be bigbird the wings have corroded and I am sure that I have seen this on the forum but cannot locate it. Ok the mold or model was done in a different batch to the other ANA Bigbird releases.I think this model how ever rare it is has a problem.Anyone who has the model please confirm its happened to their version too.
pwceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2010, 04:41 AM   #2
Як-40 Капитан

LOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobby
Re: Bigbird Marine Jumbo

Well, it's not looking too good so far, according to the database, this was done around 2002.
BigBird 1:500 ANA All Nippon Airways B 747-481D - Wings900 ID# 3693
Since it doesn't say exactly (not that we know exactly when anyways), I can't say that this is the case, but around late 2002/early 2003 the factory that made Big Bird models (as well as Aeroclassics and SMAC over in 1:400) had received a bad batch of the material used to make models. Over time, many of the models which were produced there had started to have a lot of problems, and the model had literally started to turn into Dust.

It's known as the Zinc Rot/Zinc Pest. A good way to know if your model is in the beginning stages of it is if the model starts to think it's a 787, when in fact it's not (by that I mean the wings start to bend unusually). Safe to say most every model in that timeframe from that factory is the Lancia Beta of the Diecast airliner world, and that you, as well as most of the forum will very likely outlive most, if not all of these models made there within the time period.

Last edited by LOT 737-300; 09-20-2010 at 04:57 AM.
LOT 737-300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:00 AM   #3
Enjoy 1:500 !

joshua is getting startedjoshua is getting startedjoshua is getting startedjoshua is getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwceg View Post
Hi everyone I think I read that the Marine B747-400d done be bigbird the wings have corroded .......Anyone who has the model please confirm its happened to their version too.
You made me worried, but I checked mine and it's allright, no signs of corrosion what so ever. I'm sorry for yours however.
The card that comes along with the model has number 0915 on it, maybe yours is produced earlier?

Regards Jos

Last edited by joshua; 09-20-2010 at 06:11 AM.
joshua is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2010, 06:26 AM   #4
Як-40 Капитан

LOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua View Post
You made me worried, but I checked mine and it's allright, no signs of corrosion what so ever. I'm sorry for yours however.
The card that comes along with the model has number 0915 on it, maybe yours is produced earlier?

Regards Jos
Usually these are all produced in the same batch, but if your's is fine, that may be a good thing, seeing you've been around W900 at the time when these were produced, do you know if these were announced earlier in 2002 or later on? Simply asking as if it was early, then the reports of corrosion or zinc rot might just be an isolated case. If it were from later, it might be a matter of time, as from what I understand, ALL models from that time period (late 2002-early 2003) from that specific factory are due to start rotting away, some faster than others, but they would.

Has me worrying about my Virgin Atlantic 747-400. It seems fine just checking it, so likely I'm lucky and this predates the Zinc Menace.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:43 PM   #5
Enjoy 1:500 !

joshua is getting startedjoshua is getting startedjoshua is getting startedjoshua is getting started

I used the 'search' option and found the announcement around june and release in december 2002.

Thread about the announcement: http://www.wings900.com/vb/1-500-sca...747-400-a.html

Thread about the release with date: http://www.wings900.com/vb/1-500-sca...-released.html

Jos
joshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:25 AM   #6
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Hi pwceg, i had the same problem,i tryed to repair the wings with good result. I have showed the model on my "fleets" thread, the model is with other ANA airplanes.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:14 PM   #7
RJ Second Officer

pwceg is a good contributorpwceg is a good contributorpwceg is a good contributorpwceg is a good contributorpwceg is a good contributorpwceg is a good contributorpwceg is a good contributorpwceg is a good contributor

Hi Charter,Mine is so bad the wing paint and pylon paint has blistered and the wing tip broke .This is the cheap batch of metal from the factory concerned stated by LOT B737-300.thanks for the info.I am looking now for a bigbird Marine jumbo with no zinc corrosion.Can you help?
pwceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:01 AM   #8
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Hi Charter,Mine is so bad the wing paint and pylon paint has blistered and the wing tip broke .This is the cheap batch of metal from the factory concerned stated by LOT B737-300.thanks for the info.I am looking now for a bigbird Marine jumbo with no zinc corrosion.Can you help?
Mine was not so broken. I don't know if you can find the model on ebay, it is rare and difficoult to find ( i have found it in 1:400 scale only).

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:34 AM   #9
Collector

PT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobby

I have the ANA 747-400D Marine Jumbo and last time I've checked (arround December last year) it was ok. Now it's packed together most of my collection, still in Italy. I miss them so much!
On the other hand I have a SQ 747-300 9V-SKN who had one wing broken in two points. I've repaired it, the results are fairly good but I want to replace it with a new one, hoping the problem doesn't repeat. This model too is now packed in Italy and at the moment I cannot check my models...I pray that everything is ok!
PT-TAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:58 PM   #10
Як-40 Капитан

Quote:
When it comes to the ANA Marine Jumbo by BB, I think it's safe to say that you may want to forget about it, as it isn't so much a question of if, but of when the zinc pest will get to it. My understanding is that most of us, even the oldest of us will very easily outlive a majority of these models made there when they got the bad batch of Zinc Alloy. Some may start up faster than others (the SMAC KLM 737-200 is a great example, that thing seems to be rotting at a very fast rate as of now (and there are some photos of this in a thread over at the Buzz too of different examples of it), others might rot a bit slowly and less frequently. But to be honest, I'm in the same boat as you guys, having a Virgin Atlantic 747-400 made in 2002, and any post here that I quickly did a search on suggesting that this model was made in late 2002 (though no post saying when they were made, but 2 threads on Virgin 744s from October of 2002). As of now, she looks fine, but I'm scared that any day she'll start showing the signs of it starting, and then completely turn to dust (quite literally too)

A huge shame, the factory that produced these models have made so many grails, many of which fetch a lot of money from likely unsuspecting collectors, only to have them slowly turn into dust. Would be nice if they could start to slowly remake every model that came from that factory if they haven't already under the different brands and moulds of today.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:36 AM   #11
Master ATP Captain

lollomz is a top doglollomz is a top doglollomz is a top doglollomz is a top doglollomz is a top doglollomz is a top doglollomz is a top doglollomz is a top doglollomz is a top doglollomz is a top doglollomz is a top dog

I noticed that something was starting on a wing of my ANA plane some years ago and I immediately used a decal liquid film from Microscale to protect the wing from corrosion. Now it's still perfect. maybe this could help someone elso to protect this plane...

Lollo

lollomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:15 PM   #12
Як-40 Капитан

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollomz View Post
I noticed that something was starting on a wing of my ANA plane some years ago and I immediately used a decal liquid film from Microscale to protect the wing from corrosion. Now it's still perfect. maybe this could help someone elso to protect this plane...

Lollo
Could have been just Paint issues then (which doesn't necessarily denote Zinc Rot, it's not so much corrosion from being out in the elements, just a mistake that should have not happened, but did.) Good news is, after re-reading the thread over at the Buzz, according to Gordon Werner (whom I think had something to do with SMAC) an Andrew Klein, they said that while many had been, apparently, not all of it was, even from the same batches (sorta makes it a fun game here, eh?).

A sure sign of Zinc Menace is if your wing, even after long periods of being boxed will start to imitate the 787 wing, when it is indeed, not a 787.

Another post said it well too, so I don't think that stopping corrosion of the Wing with that would help though, the issue is an impurity in the molecular level (though I do hear the environment it's in does accelerate it). This issue had been huge with toys and similar products made before the 1960s I should add, especially German toys made around the WWII period (due to more pure material not being available due to the war effort.)

Here is a great example of 2 models affected with this!
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...ny/Braniff.jpg

Still though, very interesting, we might need to see more using that technique, it could be, maybe not a way to stop it, but at least slow it down!
Old 02-16-2011, 12:22 PM   #13
ATP Captain

Antesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast icon

I got my Big Bird LH B747-100 today and expect Zink roth... Chipped colour, bubbles under the paint, the aluminium paint looks "dirty" and the horizontal stab was broken.
Anyone else got issues with this model?

//Antesyd

“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex… It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.” – - Albert Einstein

The latest arrivals:
*Herpa Norwegian, United, Qatar and China Southern B787, 1:500
*Herpa BA A380, 1:500
*Sky500 Cebu Pacific A330 1:500

Antesyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: