I need your help: Which scale should I collect ? - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > 1:500 Scale Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-21-2021, 04:29 PM   #1
Puddle Jumper

Collector787 is flying under the radar
I need your help: Which scale should I collect ?

Hi guys,

I have been collecting model airplanes for about six years. I started with Herpa 1: 500 and built up a relatively large collection here. Now the prices at Herpa have become more and more expensive and the details have not really increased. So I started collecting 1: 400 and 1: 200. I already have some models here too.

I would like to focus on one or two scales. Here in Germany it is of course easiest to collect Herpa, as I don't live far from the main office (about 2-3 hours by car). I love these models too. Unfortunately, I think it's a shame that the details are becoming less and less and the prices have risen so much compared to my early years. My fear is that at some point the scale will completely die out and the models will no longer be worth anything, or only little. As with 1: 600, where the planes often only cost a few euros.
1: 400 would be more future-proof here, also in terms of innovations, but many aircraft are not as easy to get here in Germany as in the USA or other countries.
1: 200 is also available from Herpa (1: 400 of course also, but very little) which is an advantage.
I would like to limit myself to 1: 500 and 1: 200, or do you think 1: 400 and 1: 200 would be better?
I am most interested in Asian airlines and especially India and European short-haul routes.

What do you all mean ? Which scale / Which scales should I collect?
Collector787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2021, 11:48 PM   #2
RJ First Officer

Harry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dog
Re: I need your help: Which scale should I collect ?

Hi Collector787,

Personally I would go for 1:400 models for the reasons below:

- Price: a quarter to a half to those that of 1:200 models

- Space: a quarter of a space compared to the same type in 1:200

- Availability I see that Aviation Center Berlin stocks a decent range of 1:400 models from many brands. If they don't, I think eBay is your best bet. If you want 1:400 JCWings model, get it from Johanchan2004, he is a friendly seller. I source my models from other shops as well, like MyHobbyHouse from Malaysia, Eztoys or diecastairplane in the USA. Also I buy from Taobao as well, you can check it on Tabao and copy the link to the English agent engtaobao, they will buy and ship for you to your house. It does have some fees but it is sometimes cheaper compare to other sites.

- Details the larger the model, the more obvious that an error can be observed. Not all things are perfect. The level of detail on 1:400 models is great enough.

- GSE: this is quite important to some collectors as they would like to build dioramas to display the aircraft. Collecting 1:400 models means you have the privilege to use 1:500 GSE with your model.

- Moulds and brands: a lot and various! You can check for detailed mould review by Richard Stretton on his website: www.yesterdaysairlines.com. He had made careful and thorough reviews! For your criteria, you can easily collect European airlines since many models have been made. The Indian carrier, on the other hand, had been sparsely made.

I hope my advice could help you.
Harry Pettersion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:29 AM   #3
Earning My Wings

Cat777 is flying under the radar
Now, I collect 1:500 scale, but, I think it is best to start with 1:400 models.

1st there are so many airlines in 1:400 that you can find your favorite aircraft. There are a lot of models released in 1:400. You’ll find a lot of Asian airlines in 1:400.

2nd the quality is excellent. Aero500 was excellent, but they don't release 1:500 models anymore, so 1:400 is good.

But, there are some bat points about 1:400 scale models. They are more expensive than 1:500 models, but there is not so much difference. So, you should choose scales you would like to collect. Both have good and bad points. I have collected 1:500 models because I started with 1:500 by chance, I hope you will enjoy your life as a collector.
Cat777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2021, 07:13 AM   #4
Selfie with bros

LeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobby

Since you are interested in Asian and European short-hauls, that's a bit challenging.
Asian models are quite popular in 1:400, specially with Phoenix, Panda Models, NG Models, etc. Short haul European are Herpa's main business in 1:500.

Maybe it's worth to keep collecting both scales?

I have collected 1:500 for more than 10 years and since last year i'm also collecting 1:400.
My 1:400 collection is made of planes from the 1980s/1990s, since I want to make a Brazilian airport from this era. And it's so good to see that many stuff of this era was already released in 1:400, but never in 1:500!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Pettersion View Post
- GSE: this is quite important to some collectors as they would like to build dioramas to display the aircraft. Collecting 1:400 models means you have the privilege to use 1:500 GSE with your model.
Not all 1:500 GSE look good with 1:400... some look too tiny!
Old 03-03-2021, 04:45 AM   #5
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector787 View Post
Hi guys,

I have been collecting model airplanes for about six years. I started with Herpa 1: 500 and built up a relatively large collection here. Now the prices at Herpa have become more and more expensive and the details have not really increased. So I started collecting 1: 400 and 1: 200. I already have some models here too.

I would like to focus on one or two scales. Here in Germany it is of course easiest to collect Herpa, as I don't live far from the main office (about 2-3 hours by car). I love these models too. Unfortunately, I think it's a shame that the details are becoming less and less and the prices have risen so much compared to my early years. My fear is that at some point the scale will completely die out and the models will no longer be worth anything, or only little. As with 1: 600, where the planes often only cost a few euros.
1: 400 would be more future-proof here, also in terms of innovations, but many aircraft are not as easy to get here in Germany as in the USA or other countries.
1: 200 is also available from Herpa (1: 400 of course also, but very little) which is an advantage.
I would like to limit myself to 1: 500 and 1: 200, or do you think 1: 400 and 1: 200 would be better?
I am most interested in Asian airlines and especially India and European short-haul routes.

What do you all mean ? Which scale / Which scales should I collect?
Hi friend.
You probably know me...tens of thousands 1:500 models, thousands 1:400 models, thousands 1:200 bombers and fighters...
Well: 1:200 models are the perfection, perfectly detailed and with almost perfect moulds. But the cost is high and you need a lot of space to store them and, possibly, to create handmade airports. If you are rich and you live in a big house you can continue with them!
About 1:500 and 1:400 the facts are known: 1:500, there is only one manufacturer and quality is becoming more and more poor while prices are increasing. There is no competition so Herpa dosen't care about its many poor models if people continue to buy them; on the other hand adding few details on Club Models is not the right way to relaunch the scale, especially if the models are awful like the B757 mould.
But 1:500 scale remains the cheaper and, almost in Europe, the best known and easy to buy/sell. Even the storage and the airports are easy and affordable.
1:400, many manufacturers, great quality, almost perfect moulds and details.
So many manufacturers mean competition and best quality, along with better prices.
But better prices inside the 1:400 scale, because there is a huge difference among 1:400 and 1:500 models prices! In fact, when we say "1:500 models prices are almost reaching 1:400 ones" we refer to price per quality/details: Aeroclassics and NG Model airplanes, for example, cost around 45/48 euro (B757, Tu-154), almost 10-15 euro more than a Herpa B777! Yes, 35 euro are too many for an Herpa awful mould, but this goes further the mere prices speech. In reality the 1:500 scale is the cheapest (with poor quality) while the 1:400 is the best regarding quality/price.
So i would collect 1:400 and 1:500 models.
I hope i was helpful.
Ciao.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: