A request for advice, and a warning. - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > 1:500 Scale Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-05-2020, 09:55 AM   #1
Southampton Airport 1/500

astra-airlines is flying under the radarastra-airlines is flying under the radarastra-airlines is flying under the radar
A request for advice, and a warning.

Good afternoon,

Last week I encountered somebody on Instagram who promised me 'good condition' Herpa models, in exchange for around 4 or 5 inferior aircraft of an unknown brand (bought by a well-meaning elderly relative with little knowledge of scale models) which could otherwise have been sold on ebay for around £30-40 in total.
I received my consignment today - supposedly consisting of Herpa's Year of Zayed A380 and Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 787.

The 787 had a wheel which evidently broke off in shipping (I have been able to repair this), but the A380 is unsalvageable.

The entire forward fuselage is covered with a substance which appears to be superglue, probably used to re-attach the nose landing gear.
I shan't be naming anybody, but I would like to ask how I could repair this model without damaging the livery - is it possible?

I'm not looking for a lecture about things seeming too good to be true - I fully understand this, but the trader seemed honest.
I asked them, and was told that, "next time [I] should ask for photographs of the areas with damage."
If I'm not told about damage, I can still be blamed?

Best wishes,
astra-airlines
astra-airlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2020, 04:06 AM   #2
RJ First Officer

SandborgAirport is an excellent contributorSandborgAirport is an excellent contributorSandborgAirport is an excellent contributorSandborgAirport is an excellent contributorSandborgAirport is an excellent contributorSandborgAirport is an excellent contributorSandborgAirport is an excellent contributorSandborgAirport is an excellent contributorSandborgAirport is an excellent contributorSandborgAirport is an excellent contributorSandborgAirport is an excellent contributor
Re: A request for advice, and a warning.

This is why I avoid swapping. Technically you have no come back. I would ask the person why they didn’t inform you. Although I’m surprised anyone would swap without asking to see pictures. If they were decent they would try to work out a deal which makes both sides happy - either return to the orginal or throw something else in perhaps. However there reply doesn’t sound like they would.

There are a lot of people on Instagram who mess people around. Far too many kids so I wouldn’t expect a “business like” handling of this problem.
SandborgAirport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 06:40 AM   #3
ATP Captain

mike21 is a legend of the hobbymike21 is a legend of the hobbymike21 is a legend of the hobbymike21 is a legend of the hobbymike21 is a legend of the hobbymike21 is a legend of the hobbymike21 is a legend of the hobbymike21 is a legend of the hobbymike21 is a legend of the hobbymike21 is a legend of the hobbymike21 is a legend of the hobby
100% agree with the above i learnt the hard way with instagram and kids. 🙄 adding a few extra bits and so on. Then it coming back to bite me. I won't be dealing with anyone like that again. Unless i know amd trust them. Personally with ur deal i don't think you would be able to do anything about it. As it all seems a bit of a rushed deal and you don't seem to have a leg to stand on sp to speak.
Freight aircraft lover.
mike21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2020, 07:58 AM   #4
ATP Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

I don't think there is a technique to remove the superglue--almost certainly any solvent you might use will take off the tampo printing on the fuselage.
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 12:29 PM   #5
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra-airlines View Post
Good afternoon,

Last week I encountered somebody on Instagram who promised me 'good condition' Herpa models, in exchange for around 4 or 5 inferior aircraft of an unknown brand (bought by a well-meaning elderly relative with little knowledge of scale models) which could otherwise have been sold on ebay for around £30-40 in total.
I received my consignment today - supposedly consisting of Herpa's Year of Zayed A380 and Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 787.

The 787 had a wheel which evidently broke off in shipping (I have been able to repair this), but the A380 is unsalvageable.

The entire forward fuselage is covered with a substance which appears to be superglue, probably used to re-attach the nose landing gear.
I shan't be naming anybody, but I would like to ask how I could repair this model without damaging the livery - is it possible?

I'm not looking for a lecture about things seeming too good to be true - I fully understand this, but the trader seemed honest.
I asked them, and was told that, "next time [I] should ask for photographs of the areas with damage."
If I'm not told about damage, I can still be blamed?

Best wishes,
astra-airlines
The answer about "is it possible to repair a fuselage damaged by superglue like Super Attak ( i imagine) is NO. Sadly, NO.
And i think the seller wasn't completely honest because a thing is a used model with some signs of wear not depending of him, a thing is a completely damaged model because of manipulation and/or damaging!
He had to tell you about the "artificial" conditions.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 01:55 PM   #6
Earning My Wings

AeroflotFAN! is flying under the radar

It's a shame that the seller hadn't notified you of the issue. I mean... I guess it's nice you were able to salvage 1 model?

Check out my YouTube channel------->https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-o...rXV0UlDIZEP-BA
AeroflotFAN! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 02:20 PM   #7
Southampton Airport 1/500

astra-airlines is flying under the radarastra-airlines is flying under the radarastra-airlines is flying under the radar
Thank you for all of your replies.
It is a shame about the A380, but, as I said, it is fortunate that the 787 could be saved.
I've worked something out with the seller, thank goodness!
astra-airlines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bad, herpa, warning

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: