Do you keep any Herpa OG in your collection? - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > 1:500 Scale Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:49 AM   #1
Earning My Wings

Mamunti is flying under the radarMamunti is flying under the radarMamunti is flying under the radar
Do you keep any Herpa OG in your collection?

Hi everyone,

In general, in this hobby that we have, we have seen and evolution in the quality of the models that are made by the different companies (I know right now in this scale is basically Herpa, but there are a few models of other companies going around ), sometimes those changes are for the better, other times for the worst. But for me there is not a more visible change in quality that when you compare the Herpa OG vs the NG models or even OG vs other companies of that time.

Recalling that I kept a few OG models in my collection and I even bought a few recently, I thought to ask the following:

Do you keep any Herpa OG in your collection?, and why?

At the end I know that each one of us select the model to add and keep in our collection by different criterias, so I am curious to read those reasons.
Mamunti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2020, 08:54 AM   #2
Earning My Wings

Mamunti is flying under the radarMamunti is flying under the radarMamunti is flying under the radar
Re: Do you keep any Herpa OG in your collection?

In my case I started my collection to have a representation of the airplanes and airlines that I have flown in; but with time that has evolved to have the specific livery that I flew and then include the airlines and airplanes that I like or I vividly saw in the past or that I wanted to fly.

In general the OG that I kept are so the aircraft can be included in one of those reasons. There are other reasons why I bought a few of the airplanes that i have, but in the case of Herpa OG models these are the only ones that apply.

Aircraft of an Airline and in the decoration that I flew in:
  • Iberias DC-10 (90s Livery)
  • Viasa DC-10 (Orange tail with white name in engine #2)- I know there is a aeroclassic version of this model but I am unable to find it)
  • KLM MD-11 (Thick dark blue sheet line livery)
  • Mexicana A320 (early 2000s livery)
  • American 727-200 (Old Silver livery)I have found and bought the inflight500 but have not gone around to sell the Herpa OG model
  • American 757-200 (Old silver livery, do not know if there is a NG of this model in this decoration, havent found it)
  • Continental md-83 (this one I am not sure if is OG or NG, the wheels design and size are in line with NG, but the way the mold is made in the wheel area is similar to a OG)

Aircraft that I like but I am unable to find a better representation of the aircraft
  • Fedex MD-11 (Present livery)
  • Air Europa 737-800 (2000`s white livery)
  • City of Everett 747-100 (*Not bought yet but seriously thinking of buying, I know there is a NG version, but I thinks that it is harder to find that Aeroclassic Viasa DC-10)

Donor so I can customize them to be one of the aircraft from the first List (I am not a great modeler so I preferred to risk a lower value model that a higher value one that more people might want)
  • Edelweiss MD-83 (To become Avianca Md-83 Suma livery)
  • Kitty Hawk 727-200 (to become Avensa 727-200 Billboard livery)
Old 11-26-2020, 10:33 AM   #3
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

I have a few OG models that have some sentimental value, but I don't display them prominently/on my diorama. They are more a shelf display sort of model

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2020, 10:49 AM   #4
Earning My Wings

Cat777 is flying under the radar
Hello everyone.
I have only one OG model ,SWAL 737-200.This model might not OG model ,but Herpa has a new 737-200 mold now.
I don’t like OG model so much. Especially, the gear is not elaborate. Actually,there are many beautiful models only released in OG model. I hope Herpa will remake them.
Here is my swal 732 photo.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CH5P2oCh...=1an924twqfz3e
Cat777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 11:18 AM   #5
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamunti View Post
Hi everyone,

In general, in this hobby that we have, we have seen and evolution in the quality of the models that are made by the different companies (I know right now in this scale is basically Herpa, but there are a few models of other companies going around ), sometimes those changes are for the better, other times for the worst. But for me there is not a more visible change in quality that when you compare the Herpa OG vs the NG models or even OG vs other companies of that time.

Recalling that I kept a few OG models in my collection and I even bought a few recently, I thought to ask the following:

Do you keep any Herpa OG in your collection?, and why?

At the end I know that each one of us select the model to add and keep in our collection by different criterias, so I am curious to read those reasons.
Quote:
In my case I started my collection to have a representation of the airplanes and airlines that I have flown in; but with time that has evolved to have the specific livery that I flew and then include the airlines and airplanes that I like or I vividly saw in the past or that I wanted to fly.

In general the OG that I kept are so the aircraft can be included in one of those reasons. There are other reasons why I bought a few of the airplanes that i have, but in the case of Herpa OG models these are the only ones that apply.

• Viasa DC-10 (Orange tail with white name in engine #2)- I know there is a aeroclassic version of this model but I am unable to find it)
  • American 727-200 (Old Silver livery)I have found and bought the inflight500 but have not gone around to sell the Herpa OG model
  • American 757-200 (Old silver livery, do not know if there is a NG of this model in this decoration, havent found it)
  • Continental md-83 (this one I am not sure if is OG or NG, the wheels design and size are in line with NG, but the way the mold is made in the wheel area is similar to a OG)

Aircraft that I like but I am unable to find a better representation of the aircraft
  • City of Everett 747-100 (*Not bought yet but seriously thinking of buying, I know there is a NG version, but I thinks that it is harder to find that Aeroclassic Viasa DC-10)

Donor so I can customize them to be one of the aircraft from the first List (I am not a great modeler so I preferred to risk a lower value model that a higher value one that more people might want)
Ciao and welcome to Wings900 family.
My entire fleet from 1996 until Herpa decided to produce NG models is based on OG ones: there are many beautiful models only released in OG and this is a pity. My dream is having in NG all (almost all) models Herpa released in OG.
Thanks for posting and welcome again.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 11:43 AM   #6
Selfie with bros

LeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobby

The only OG model I have is the FedEx MD-11F. However, it was modified and now have NG gears

Herpa had some great releases in OG days, and even some moulds are quite nice (727, 757 for example).
Too bad some others are really terrible.
Old 11-26-2020, 01:26 PM   #7
xyz
Earning My Wings

xyz is flying under the radar

Do you keep any Herpa OG in your collection?

If there is no NG-version of the exact same plane, but I want it: Yes.

As of now there are 123 OGs in my collection. Some of them, especially some old B732 and A320, I wouldn't change to new versions, even if they would get available as NGs now (but probably would add the new ones aswell).
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 01:48 PM   #8
Earning My Wings

Quote:
Ciao and welcome to Wings900 family.
My entire fleet from 1996 until Herpa decided to produce NG models is based on OG ones: there are many beautiful models only released in OG and this is a pity. My dream is having in NG all (almost all) models Herpa released in OG.
Thanks for posting and welcome again.
Thanks for the warm welcome Charter. I was part of the group of people that tent to read the forum but not participate. Must admit I always liked the info and subject that the community exchange here and have help me a lot.

Also I am with you that wish that many models were made again in NG; I am specially missing the 737classic models.

Quote:
I have a few OG models that have some sentimental value, but I don't display them prominently/on my diorama. They are more a shelf display sort of model
I wish I have the space to make a diorama like yours, it is only shelf display for me, and I am running out of that space also. So basically I play Tetris with the models each time a new one arrives .

And, probably you are tired of reading this, but it is amazing your Schiphol Diorama and the collection of plane that you display on it.

Quote:
The only OG model I have is the FedEx MD-11F. However, it was modified and now have NG gears

Herpa had some great releases in OG days, and even some moulds are quite nice (727, 757 for example).
Too bad some others are really terrible.
You MOD the MD-11F to have the NG gears?! . Tip of my hat to you sir, that is amazing. but after seeing that you have some beautiful custom aircraft should not be surprised .

Quote:
Hello everyone.
I have only one OG model ,SWAL 737-200.This model might not OG model ,but Herpa has a new 737-200 mold now.
I dont like OG model so much. Especially, the gear is not elaborate. Actually,there are many beautiful models only released in OG model. I hope Herpa will remake them.
Here is my swal 732 photo.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CH5P2oCh...=1an924twqfz3e
Thanks for sharing the picture. I found myself with the same doubt with my Continental MD-83. (sorry for the dust in the picture, it already past the time to clean the complete collection).

I also think as you do about the landing gear, wish have the ability of LeoMuse747 to update the few that I have.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you keep any Herpa OG in your collection?-img_20201126_182641595_hdr.jpg  
Old 11-26-2020, 04:11 PM   #9
Earning My Wings

Quote:

sorry I forgot to add this airplane to the first list
  • American 737-800 (2000s livery). Similar to 727 I have the OG and NG, but because one is with winglets and the other without it, and I flew in both, I am keeping them both
Old 11-26-2020, 06:19 PM   #10
Wings of Wool

sheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributor

i will keep my OGs but glancing over the display I think they are all currently boxed.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:14 AM   #11
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
I wish I have the space to make a diorama like yours, it is only shelf display for me, and I am running out of that space also. So basically I play Tetris with the models each time a new one arrives .

And, probably you are tired of reading this, but it is amazing your Schiphol Diorama and the collection of plane that you display on it.
Time for home expansion! Also thanks for your kind words about my diorama, it takes time and skill but is very much worth it!

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 03:36 PM   #12
Planes Maniac ;-)

OD-ZIAD is flying under the radarOD-ZIAD is flying under the radar

in my case i only kept OG models like MEA or any special livery model.. those are not produced in NG

most of my OG i gave away to my nephew.. models like AF lufthansa ..etc with normal livery + no registration that are produced later as NG , i consider personally not worth much the space

i only kept the boxes incase i have model without a box
Old 12-06-2020, 09:07 PM   #13
Earning My Wings

I can now confirm now some OG can make good donors for custom models.

One Custom OG down, one more to go (In reality is 4 customs down, 7 to go, but is mix of 3d printed models and one NG).
Attached Thumbnails
Do you keep any Herpa OG in your collection?-img_20201207_014142616.jpg  
Old 12-07-2020, 04:38 AM   #14
Sympathy for the devil 😈

Wingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobby

I have quite a few OG models in my collection but I stopped collecting them years ago. I converted most of my 737's to NG but all my other OG models are currently stored.
My favorite OG model is by far SIA/BA's Concorde.

My collection: http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/...usselsairlines
Wingslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 11:09 AM   #15
Earning My Wings

AeroflotFAN! is flying under the radar

I keep a few of my OG aircraft as filler aircraft, but I gfradually remove them from the collection.

Owner of a small youtube channel called Wingtip Spectrum
AeroflotFAN! is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: