Iconic models. - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > 1:500 Scale Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-27-2020, 01:39 PM   #1
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Iconic models.

Good evening.
Are there iconic models for each airline? In my opinion the answer is yes and also Herpa realized them in 1:500 scale.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2020, 01:45 PM   #2
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Re: Iconic models.

Iberia B757-200

Iberia used up to 30 B757-200's, one of the most elegant airplane ever produced.
Since i started to collect 1:500 models i hoped for the production of the Iberia B757-200 by Herpa and when the manufacturer realized it i was extremely happy.
EC-HDM joined Iberia fleet in 1999 and, in 2004, was sold to Varig becoming PP-VTT.

Charter airlines lover

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime...R.I.P.
Old 08-27-2020, 01:55 PM   #3
The Dark Side

LTU MD-11

Just 4 MD-11s for LTU compared to 17 A330's and 7 B767's for long haul routes, but the MD-11 is iconic because the last tri-engines widebody to delight us.
When Herpa produced this beauty it wasn't the best mould, especially compared with StarJets one and this is a pity.

D-AERB joined LTU in 1991, leaving the fleet in 1998 becoming Swissair HB-IWR.

Charter airlines lover

Last edited by Charter; 08-27-2020 at 02:39 PM.

Old 08-28-2020, 02:50 PM   #4
The Dark Side

TUI Airways B757-200WL

Is there a more iconic model among the narrwobodies? The B757-200WL is one of the most elegant airplanes flying! TUI Airways, the UK brand of TUI Group, has 16 of them in its history, 5 in use and 1 parked.
G-BYAW served TUI Airways from 2017 to 2019 and now is stored.
The TUI Airways B757-200WL is a monster of beauty in almost each holiday airport in Europe but also in Cape Verde.

Charter airlines lover

Last edited by Charter; 08-29-2020 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-29-2020, 09:48 AM   #5
The Dark Side

Biman Bangladesh DC-10

Biman Bangladesh DC-10 has always been an iconic airplane among spotters. I remember when we were all waiting for the landing of this monster of beauty at runway 16R...dozens of pics!
Eight DC-10's in fleet for Biman Bangladesh, S2-ACR served Biman from 1988 to 2014, when it was scrapped.

Charter airlines lover

Old 08-29-2020, 04:16 PM   #6
RJ Captain

mmp-ace is an excellent contributormmp-ace is an excellent contributormmp-ace is an excellent contributormmp-ace is an excellent contributormmp-ace is an excellent contributormmp-ace is an excellent contributormmp-ace is an excellent contributormmp-ace is an excellent contributormmp-ace is an excellent contributormmp-ace is an excellent contributormmp-ace is an excellent contributor

I am sorry, I have to disagree on the LTU MD-11. They had an iconic plane, but for LTU is was definitely the L-1011.

You have never seen a rock show until you've seen KISS
mmp-ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 01:18 PM   #7
The Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmp-ace View Post
I am sorry, I have to disagree on the LTU MD-11. They had an iconic plane, but for LTU is was definitely the L-1011.
You're welcome.

Charter airlines lover

Old 08-30-2020, 01:22 PM   #8
The Dark Side

Air France Concorde

Of course! Is there a "most iconic airplane"? Air France used 7 Concorde and F-BVFA served the airline with supersonic flights from 1980 to 2003. Then it has been preserved at Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum.

Charter airlines lover

Old 08-31-2020, 03:01 AM   #9
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

I agree on the Biman DC-10 Charter. It was the last DC-10 flying in commercial service.

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 06:11 AM   #10
The Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
I agree on the Biman DC-10 Charter. It was the last DC-10 flying in commercial service.
And it was one of the most beautiful DC-10, maybe the livery, maybe the fact it was Biman Bangladesh flagship...i don't know why Biman DC-10 had all its charm.

Charter airlines lover

Old 08-31-2020, 06:27 AM   #11
The Dark Side

British Airways Concorde

British Airways B747-400

In my opinion British Airways is a particular airline (the same of Alitalia): two iconic airplanes for BA, Concorde and the "Queen", B747-400.
7 Concorde and 57 B747-400 for British Airways (19 B747-100 and 25 B747-200), two iconic airplanes for this amazing airline.

Charter airlines lover

Old 08-31-2020, 10:09 AM   #12
Captain

Speedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobby

Hm, have to agree with mmp-ace. If we talk LTU, we talk Tristar and not MD11 (despite it was a nice plane).

Regarding the rest...well, what is iconic ? Biman and DC10, fits well. As our dutch friend said, last commercial service, so tend to agree.

Why the 757's are iconic connected to Iberia and TUI ? Dunno....a plane like all the others, especially for Iberia see no connection really. There would be more connection to the DC9's or 727's in my opinion.

Concorde a chapter of its own...

And 747 is an Icon it itself for all the airlines it flew, but if we really talk ICON and 747 then I think you have to mention THE connection of Icons...and that is Pan Am and 747.
Speedbird 001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 02:05 PM   #13
The Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird 001 View Post
Hm, have to agree with mmp-ace. If we talk LTU, we talk Tristar and not MD11 (despite it was a nice plane).

Regarding the rest...well, what is iconic ? Biman and DC10, fits well. As our dutch friend said, last commercial service, so tend to agree.

Why the 757's are iconic connected to Iberia and TUI ? Dunno....a plane like all the others, especially for Iberia see no connection really. There would be more connection to the DC9's or 727's in my opinion.

Concorde a chapter of its own...

And 747 is an Icon it itself for all the airlines it flew, but if we really talk ICON and 747 then I think you have to mention THE connection of Icons...and that is Pan Am and 747.
Let me try to explain.
First of all, what is iconic for me?
For me this is iconic, Salzburg Airport with the many Tu-154's loading thousand of snow holidaymakers

Monarch and Britannia were and are iconic, because the myth of leisure airlines

Eurocypria, Futura and Helios B737-800 were iconic

British Airways B757-200 "Landor" livery were iconic, because my first B757 flight

This pic (and similar photos) is iconic because we can appreciate all the immense beauty and elegance of the B757

Volare A320 was and is iconic

LTU MD-11 was and is iconic because, despite the L-1011 Tristar opened the widebodies holiday trips, since 1973, the MD-11 has been the workhorse for medium/high density flights, especially in important Greek holiday airports like Rhodes.

The backtrack at Corfù Airport is iconic

F-14 is iconic

Funchal Airport is iconic

Air Scandic A300 was and is iconic

Braniff DC-8 "Calder" was and is iconic

Southwest and all its B737-300's (before) and B737-700 (now) with special liveries is iconic, in particular the "Shamu" livery

Western Pacific B737-300 and all the beautiful women on the tail fins was and is iconic

Manchester Airport and the Champions League final in 2003 (Juventus-Milan), with hundreds of charter flights and more than 30.000 Italian supporters, was and is still iconic

East African B767-300 was and is iconic

...of course even the Pan Am B747 and the B707 before were and are iconic, and so on.
The B747-400 was/is the "Queen" for each airline who had the airplane in its fleet, but for British Airways the B747-400 is an icon simply because British Airways was the B747-400 and the B747-400 was especially British Airways. British Airways spreaded its importance in the world through the B747-400, more than other airlines using the Queen.
Now the airplane was retired there aren't other icons: A380, B787, A350...nothing can be compared to the B747-400 and, among this, nothing and nobody can be compared to British Airways B747-400.
About Iberia B757-500, i was searching this model in each possible scale much before Herpa released it. Among the many mythical European majors (Sabena, Swissair, British Airways, Lufthansa, Alitalia, Iberia, Air France, KLM) only British Airways and Iberia used the B757: but British Airways already had two icons, Concorde and B747-400, while Iberia found an icon in the B757, one of the most beautiful and elegant airplanes ever produced.

But also this is iconic
https://youtu.be/ENu9NQAtbhQ

this

Monica Bellucci is iconic

this is iconic

Charter airlines lover

Last edited by Charter; 09-02-2020 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-02-2020, 02:11 PM   #14
Captain

Speedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobby

Ale,
for you EVERY plane is iconic !

You just like to share the pics, which is ok and nice, I enjoy looking at plane picts, too !
Speedbird 001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 03:24 PM   #15
The Dark Side

British Caledonian DC-10

British Caledonian, an iconic airline flying from 1070 to 1988, when it was bought by British Airways.
12 DC-10's in fleet among -10 and -30 version; G-MULL served British Caledonian for just three years, from 1985 to 1988 when the monster of beauty has become British Airways G-MULL.

Charter airlines lover

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: