Private aircraft - cargo aircraft - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > 1:500 Scale Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-22-2020, 04:07 PM   #1
Student pilot

Malefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dog
Private aircraft - cargo aircraft

Hello,

As I was saying in the thread "Ask Herpa", I am personally interested by more small aircraft, operating private flights (Falcon, Learjet, Gulfstream) or Medevac flights (Beech, Piaggio, Cessna Citation...).
I, at first, had no interest for them, but since I work in an airport, I discovered they represent a huge portion of the visiting aircraft and they are not represented at all in our scale.

I would like to have your opinion, I think it is quite hard to find models that suits for many collector as these kind of aircraft are mostly flying on short distances. But I think it would be cool to see few of them. Perhaps they could be "generic", almost full white so they can fit in any diorama location ?

Here is a quick list of the aircraft I am thinking about :

The same question applies for cargo models. We have many heavy cargo models but the medium haul flights are not so represented. I would like to know your interest in these aircraft. Here is also a short list :

I cannot show you here all the cargo aircraft from around the word but this list is not only focused on european cargo airlines.

Do you think Herpa/Sky500 ()/any other manufacturer () should produce these missing bird and would you take them ? Or these don't interest you at all ? Thank you for sharing your opinion !
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2020, 04:47 PM   #2
Selfie with bros

LeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobby
Re: Private aircraft - cargo aircraft

I have posted this some years ago, but i'll say it again: in my opinion, Herpa should release a "Scenix" set containing general aviation and executive aviation aircraft.

They have released the military set, containing 7 fighter jets and helicopters:

Herpa should also release a civilian version of this set!
Would be great to have, for example:

Beechcraft King Air
Cessna 172 Skyhawk
Cessna 206 Grand Caravan
Embraer Phenom 300
Bell Jet Ranger
Pilatus PC-12
Bombardier Learjet 45

these are all small aircraft, so they can fit perfectly in a set like this.
They don't need to be too complex, neither need to have real regs printed. I would simply like to see them in generic liveries, but hopefully with a consistent level of detail like the recent GSE released by Herpa.
These are very needed for the realism in our dioramas. Too bad we have to rely on 3D printing to have these small models! Herpa have released a Citation and a Skyhawk on the Airport Accessories III, so it would be wonderful to see the effort in creating a new pack of small aircraft.
Old 06-23-2020, 04:26 AM   #3
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Ciao Pierre.
I think we absolutely need of something like you shared here. Unfortunately Herpa is missing GSE and General Aviation models and all you listed is more than welcome.
May you please explain better how they would be produced? Because instead pf metal the small General Aviation models would be perfect also in plastic or resin.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!

Last edited by Charter; 06-23-2020 at 04:30 AM.
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2020, 08:08 AM   #4
Student pilot

Malefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dog

To me, it is not necessary to have them in metal because it is very specific and probably not so easy to produce, but I would go for 3D Printing material, resin or plastic like F-Toys models. Both of you are right, Herpa could produce a set of General Aviation like they did for the military set. What I fear however with this is to have not detailed aircraft. I haven't this set but from what I see, I think this set looks a little unrealistic.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:25 AM   #5
Earning My Wings

ShowOne is flying under the radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoMuse747 View Post
I have posted this some years ago, but i'll say it again: in my opinion, Herpa should release a "Scenix" set containing general aviation and executive aviation aircraft.

They have released the military set, containing 7 fighter jets and helicopters:

Herpa should also release a civilian version of this set!
Would be great to have, for example:

Beechcraft King Air
Cessna 172 Skyhawk
Cessna 206 Grand Caravan
Embraer Phenom 300
Bell Jet Ranger
Pilatus PC-12
Bombardier Learjet 45

these are all small aircraft, so they can fit perfectly in a set like this.
They don't need to be too complex, neither need to have real regs printed. I would simply like to see them in generic liveries, but hopefully with a consistent level of detail like the recent GSE released by Herpa.
These are very needed for the realism in our dioramas. Too bad we have to rely on 3D printing to have these small models! Herpa have released a Citation and a Skyhawk on the Airport Accessories III, so it would be wonderful to see the effort in creating a new pack of small aircraft.

In my opinion, Herpa could resume production of all airport accessories. That can all be sold very well. I have invested more than 600€ in airport accessories over the past few years. And i need more.
ShowOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:25 PM   #6
Earning My Wings

Mamunti is flying under the radar

Hi everyone,

Been watching for several months the forum and finally got the corage to participate, trying to add my two cents to this discussion.

My 1/500 Collection started withaircraft that I have flown (have grown beyond that by now ), and if is possible in the specific livery. I have been lucky enough to fly in several private jets and in some airplanes that to my knowledge there is no 1/500 model mold and because of that are missing in my collection. To solve the problem of the private airplanes I ended buying 3d printed model in 1/500 scale. This route might help you scratch that itch to have specific models and not wait for Herpa to make a set of private airplanes that might or might not contain a specific aircraft that you want.

A few caveats with the 3d printed models that I have found:
1-They tend to be less detail that the diecast. If the mold exist in die cast at the end is better to buy a donor die-cast aircraft and customize it.
2-More expensive in general to have the plane (but in some cases you receive more than one model, depend on the size and modeler of the plane).
3-You have to paint the model (and if you do not have a steady hand that might be a huge problem because of the size).
4-Need to create, if you choose so, the decals (that can be a pain if you don’t have de reference, adjust it to the correct size of the model and also the complete process of printing it and varnished before applying them is long).
5-Most of the 3d printed aircraft that I have tend to be “tail heavy”.
6-Acquire several models can be easy and no as expensive for people living in EU and US, but outside those regions probably the price can be prohibited.

Attached are a few pictures of the models that I bought (only one per type) in front of my "flown collection" of aircraft. Please note that I am not an expert painter or modeler so I know the details can be a little crappy in comparison with herpa or some of the expert custom plane modelers that I have seen in this forum...and also the decals are missing (I still have not got around to make them for this models)

This pictures contain:
• De Haviland DHC-7
• Cessna 172
• Grumman Gulfstream-I
• IAI Westwind
• Beechcraft King Air
• Dessault Falcon

Hope this can be useful if some one wants to go the same route that I did for the private planes.
Mamunti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:31 PM   #7
Earning My Wings

Sorry. I did not attached the images in the previous message and I am still finding my way in the forum reply controls.
Attached Thumbnails
Private aircraft - cargo aircraft-img_20200629_232108784.jpg   Private aircraft - cargo aircraft-img_20200629_232051818.jpg   Private aircraft - cargo aircraft-img_20200629_232037496.jpg  
Old 06-30-2020, 02:29 AM   #8
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Dear Pierre, i am just sorry and a bit angry 1:500 scale seems not to have an even minimal sign of awakening from its coma. Nothing to say about Herpa (1:500 exists thanks to Herpa) but we all "want" something more and when someone tries to give us "this more" the interest magically disappear...i really don't understand.
I remember when Antonio Spoto, a great 1:200 scale models manufacturer (www.spotoaerei.it), also working for Alitalia and other airlines, wanted to enter 1:500 scale world: a great enthusiasm and then...nothing. He already produced some A320's molds and the result was amazing, but the collectors support wasn't enough large.
Now with these Private Jets and Cargo narrowbodies: with words we want everything possible, when it is time to decide we disappear like snow under the sun. And this is for almost everything in life.
I was ready to support Antonio Spoto with money like i would be ready to support you, Pierre, but i really think everything is unuseful because 1:500 collectors are very "strange" and "bizzarre", me included of course!
I would be extremely happy to have tons of General Aviation and Private Jets in my collection, as well as small passenger airplanes like Twin Otter and Saab 360, but the conclusion i arrived to is that, different from 1:400 scale, our 1:500 isn't ready for changes, even with well done resin 3D made moulds costing 10 euro.

Charter airlines lover

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany...R.I.P.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:54 AM   #9
Student pilot

I understand your view. People complains about Herpa and at the same time, don't do anything.
As discussed few months ago, I am looking around for making my own small "company". The idea is not to make a lot of money as I have another job, but is to create models to fulfill the gap. This thread was also to see what people think about new aircraft type that Herpa don't produce.

There are plenty of ways, if you know where to find, you can easily find who make 1/400 models in China and if you have plenty of money, they can create the model you want. I have for example found who does the Air Italy B737Max 8 from Aeroclassics in less than 20 minutes and they can make something similar for 1/500. The problem is you have to spend a lot (20 000€) and order a lot of models to start the production (300).

I think, for us, that this is not the good way as the huge number of model is too important (I would personally take some risks, but not order 300 models on a single order ).

I think resin or 3D print are more adapted, for small series but also for small aircraft. It could even be plastic, but you are right, now one would take them. Just see F-TOYS models. I think they look good despite they are plastic. They could be better, but they complete what Herpa/Hogan does and for a way cheaper price. I would be happy if I could have something like them for airlines from Europe.

But I don't think this is the point of view of other collectors, as I don't see any F-Toys model here (except few exceptions).
Old 06-30-2020, 05:57 AM   #10
Student pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamunti View Post
Sorry. I did not attached the images in the previous message and I am still finding my way in the forum reply controls.
You did a great job with them, and you are right, plenty of 3D models are tail heavy.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:40 AM   #11
The Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamunti View Post
Great job. Maybe you should add some small weigth on the nose section to balance it.

Charter airlines lover

Old 06-30-2020, 06:56 AM   #12
The Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefiska View Post
I understand your view. People complains about Herpa and at the same time, don't do anything.
As discussed few months ago, I am looking around for making my own small "company". The idea is not to make a lot of money as I have another job, but is to create models to fulfill the gap. This thread was also to see what people think about new aircraft type that Herpa don't produce.

There are plenty of ways, if you know where to find, you can easily find who make 1/400 models in China and if you have plenty of money, they can create the model you want. I have for example found who does the Air Italy B737Max 8 from Aeroclassics in less than 20 minutes and they can make something similar for 1/500. The problem is you have to spend a lot (20 000€) and order a lot of models to start the production (300).

I think, for us, that this is not the good way as the huge number of model is too important (I would personally take some risks, but not order 300 models on a single order ).

I think resin or 3D print are more adapted, for small series but also for small aircraft. It could even be plastic, but you are right, now one would take them. Just see F-TOYS models. I think they look good despite they are plastic. They could be better, but they complete what Herpa/Hogan does and for a way cheaper price. I would be happy if I could have something like them for airlines from Europe.

But I don't think this is the point of view of other collectors, as I don't see any F-Toys model here (except few exceptions).
Anyway count on me Pierre, i will be a good client and, if you will decided to make something like these

i will buy many of them!

Charter airlines lover

Old 06-30-2020, 07:30 AM   #13
Earning My Wings

Quote:
Great job. Maybe you should add some small weigth on the nose section to balance it.
Quote:
You did a great job with them, and you are right, plenty of 3D models are tail heavy.
Many thanks to both of you.

I am thinking of pasting some kind of support in the fuselage behind the main landing gear. Those model are soo small that i really do not know how to put weight in the front with out ruining the model .

I swear the Cessna is soo small and light that a real life Mosquito can probably take to a fly with his legs, and also that is the model that I still have not decided how to make or paint the model, is the size of 787 engine as you see in the picture .
Old 06-30-2020, 07:39 AM   #14
Earning My Wings

By the way the credits of the models that i post are for a modeler named Vitalii Tupchii and I bought it from his store front in Shapeways, a 3d printing service (https://www.shapeways.com/shops/wwwitalik). He have a great variety of models in different scales (believe me I am mad to myself that I forgot to add the 1/500 DHC-6 Twin Otter to my original order, that plane is still missing from my collection....it has it with floats as well as landing gear if you wonder ) and is quite a nice guy, I contact him once if he could made a specific aircraft model in 1/500 (Gulfstream-I).

I thankful also for Herpa for the models they have made, and I know everyone is different and might want some planes or airlines that are too niche to be economically viable to Herpa to make (I am part of the goup that wants more Latin American airlines narrow body), that is why I went the 3d printing route or customize models for my collection (like My aeropostal MD-83 in the attached picture).

Thanks Charter by the way for the link, it appears he still has a320 to future release in listed, I will keep check it, the only think is that right now the only a320 not in preorder that I want is the British airways Landor livery or an Avianca new color.
Attached Thumbnails
Private aircraft - cargo aircraft-img_20200629_232332184.jpg  
Old 06-30-2020, 09:13 AM   #15
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

To answer your question Pierre, I'd buy an Atran 737-400 or -800! I agree many cargo models are missing, hence my PM to you

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: